insurance ripoff - Brad
having insured daughter for £60 per month (on top of the normal premium) to learn to drive in our little corsa to find she never bothered driving it we decided to cancel and save soem money. I rang up and was told that we would get a refund. Great! How much? £6-50. That's not much considering we were paying £60 extra a month. Thats not a month sir that's until the end of the policy in July. What? So I'm actually getting just £1-50 a month back for cancelling a policy that's costing £60 a month with 4 months to run? Er yes there's an admin charge of £15 plus other factors which the computer system takes into account.

Any insurers care to comment?
insurance ripoff - memyself-aye
Next time get her to foot the bill - you are lucky, mine wrote off OUR new car after about a month.
insurance ripoff - Mattster
That is a true rip-off. I once tried to cancel a policy and they said there's no refund as it's over 8 months. So I transferred the insurance to another car, group one, third party only, and got most of the money back!
--
Mattster
Boycott shoddy build and reliability.
insurance ripoff - Andrew-T
It seems to me that car insurance is only reasonably cheap (you know what I mean) when you pay for it and never use it. If you cancel and expect a refund, or make a claim, expect to fork out or lose in some way. I suspect TPFT makes the best sense for any car worth less than £2000, and there are lots of those.
insurance ripoff - BazzaBear {P}
Er yes there's an admin charge of £15 plus
other factors which the computer system takes into account.

I would be VERY tempted to complain about this. Yes, fair enough they can charge you an admin fee, but by the sounds of it, they're actually charging you that admin fee EVERY MONTH.
They only have to cancel it once!
insurance ripoff - BazzaBear {P}
plus

BTW, anyone else reminded of Little Britain?

Can I have a refund on that?

tappity-tappity...

Computer says no...
insurance ripoff - Hugo {P}
Brad

Try what I did.

Go straight to the insurers and tell them you don't want to deal via the broker any more. Then any refunds you get should be admin fee free ;).

I contacted them then faxed them a letter to a fax number they gave me with my policy number. That way I had a temporary change of vehicle handled completely FOC.

H
insurance ripoff - Aprilia
Had a similar thing recently with a change to a classic car policy. I was due a £70 refund, but after the 'admin' charge that was reduced to just under £27 ! How much are these 'administrators' earning? LOL.
insurance ripoff - holly1
Same here. We tried to cancel a classic car policy. Told we could get a full refund if we cancelled within a set period of time, which we did, sent them all the necessary forms but they kept stalling until they only had to refund 75% of the fee minus a £40 admin charge. Bet the administrators are only on £4.50 per hour anyway.
insurance ripoff - Lucian Deville
having insured daughter for £60 per month (on top of the
normal premium) to learn to drive in our little corsa to
find she never bothered driving it we decided to cancel and
save soem money. I rang up and was told that we
would get a refund. Great! How much? £6-50. That's not much
considering we were paying £60 extra a month. Thats not a
month sir that's until the end of the policy in July.
What? So I'm actually getting just £1-50 a month back for
cancelling a policy that's costing £60 a month with 4 months
to run? Er yes there's an admin charge of £15 plus
Any insurers care to comment?

Don't just cry about it - demand a break-down of the so-called costs and re-post your findings. If they are able to justify the costs, then you need to ensure that there is a clear warning about stopping your policy and losing approx 90%

Tell us which company it is - we bet you it's not of the hightly respected companies i use = NUD/RAC/DD/etc.

Thanks
insurance ripoff - El Hacko
best to remain in deep cynical mode - insurance companies are like banks: determined to fleece customers in every subtle way possible on the charges front.
call 'em to account (forgive the pun) on everything they throw at you .. unless you're shareholder, of course!
insurance ripoff - Ex-Moderator
>we bet you ......

Haven't you learned the art of typing on your own yet ? Sad.
insurance ripoff UPDATE - Brad
Fortified by your comments I complained.

Wife was paying about a pound a day insurance which wasn't too bad. To add a daughter cost an additional £467-25 for 10 months left on the policy. A conviction (wife speeding) increased it by £61-95. A change of car from 1.0 106 to 1.0 Corsa cost £49-35. To add son for the remaining 8 months of policy cost £416-85. Eventually this all came to £1,310-72 annual policy for wife and 2 teenagers with provisional licences.

The story about refunds didn't change but the guy on the other end did say that I could buy temporary insurance as and when required with a minimum of 2 days and a maximum of 90 days by merely ringing up when it was required. i.e I could insure a child on the day when they felt like going driving rather than pay an annual premium in case they felt like it.

I took this option and reduced the premium back to £534-45 meaning a refund of £556-85. My monthly premiums have dropped from well over £100 to £24 and when child wants to drive it costs only for the time they want to drive. (knowing daughter this will tend to zero times a year).

I'd call this a result. How many people know about this? The first operator I talked to was unco-operative - the second knew what he was doing and worked out a good solution. The insurer? Churchill.
insurance ripoff UPDATE - Lucian Deville
Well done brad!!

By this i mean - late last year i purchased a humble MB, and wrongly assumed that i would get one months free insurance like i did a few years back with another insurance company whos name i cannot remember.

to cut a long story short - i paid the extra for the 9 months remaining on the existing policy and put the lod car in the garage without insurance, worth several k's.

i knew the first person that came to see it would buy the car as i always describe it well and it was one ownner, one driver, no food/smoking/fags in car evey, the inside looked new - the insurance girl advised me that i could by daily insurance but a weekly insurnce or a monthly premium would work out chaeaper - so it was a piece of mind that id anyone insisted on a drive and were serious on buying the car i would insure it for the day - the car sold with a drive.

insurance ripoff UPDATE - Robbie
- the car sold with a drive.

Was that tarmac or block paving? :)