V5c - Just when does the DVLA keep it? - The Gingerous One
Ok, so just bought a car from a salvage dealer recently but they don't have the V5 so I have to apply to the DVLA for it; fine.

But, why does the V5 end up there (DVLA) in the first place ?

This must be a 'trade thing' but I'm not a trader and so am missing a few links in the chain.

If someone could explain to me how/why the V5 does not follow the car through the trade for this sort of 'transaction' then I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks in anticipation,

Stu
V5c - Just when does the DVLA keep it? - Dwight Van Driver
Road Vehicles [Reg and Lic] Regs 2002

17. Where a vehicle is destroyed or sent permanently out of -

(a) Great Britain; or

(b) Northern Ireland,

the registered keeper shall immediately notify the Secretary of State (DVLA) of the fact and, at the same time, surrender the registration document to him.

???????????

DVD

V5c - Just when does the DVLA keep it? - The Gingerous One
Road Vehicles [Reg and Lic] Regs 2002
17. Where a vehicle is destroyed or sent permanently out of
-
(a) Great Britain; or
(b) Northern Ireland,

Ok, but the car has certainly not been destroyed (its' not recorded at all as I type) and its' certainly not been sent out of the UK.

OR would the insurance company have sent the V5 back once they'd paid out (total guess) ??

Stu
V5c - Just when does the DVLA keep it? - Dwight Van Driver
Yes IIRC you are right Stu.

On pay out Insurance Companies have to return V5 to DVLC.

All to do with attempts to take clones off the road. Anybody re-taxing the vehicle have to have it inspected by VOSA.

DVD
V5c - Just when does the DVLA keep it? - martint123
Anybody re-taxing the vehicle have to have it inspected by VOSA.

Only certain classes of writeoff though.

When is a check needed?

From 7 April 2003 all accident damaged (this applies to category C salvage) and / or substantially repaired cars notified to DVLA (usually by the insurance company) must pass a VIC before they can be legally returned to the road. If the vehicle has not passed a VIC, then DVLA will not issue the keeper with a registration document (V5).

What if you buy a car that needs a VIC?

You will need to take it to a VOSA test station so it can undergo a VIC. Before taking your car to be checked, you will need to pay a fee (currently £26.50). On receipt of the fee VOSA will book an appointment for you and tell you where and when you should take your car to be checked. You will also need to give certain information about your car to VOSA before the check takes place. This will allow them to confirm that the information you have given matches with their records.

Buying a vehicle that has passed a VIC

When a vehicle has passed the VIC, the result will be stored on computer by the DVLA. The person who took the vehicle for the VIC will be given a certificate to show that the vehicle has been through the identity check and has passed. A vehicle can be sold with a VIC pass certificate (the authenticity can be checked with VOSA on 0870 6060 440). The certificate is proof that the vehicle has passed, although should be checked before purchase.