More Taxes on car ownership? - frostbite
After shelving this for 24 hours to think about it, I have decided that, despite the heavy dose of politics in the article, there is potential for some good non political discussion. Whilst we're all waiting for the date of the next general election to be announced, I suspect we'll see a lot of political scaremongering. Some of it will need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I will keep an eye on this thread to make sure it remains motoring orientated. I don't want to see political discussions - there are plenty of other forums for these.

If this thread starts to go pear shaped, then it will dissapear.

Hugo - BR Moderator

If you want to see something to spoil your day, especially if a classic car fan or owner, then have a look at:-

img239.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img239&image=scarycopy4xx...f

It's not a very good reproduction, so get your best specs out.
More Taxes on car ownership? - mjm
Yes, terrifying. I don't want to make this a political rant but this government want to control everyone and everything, especially where personal judgement and freedom are concerned. We, as motorists, are a sitting target. Look at the insurance proposals for example, how long before sorn is charged to cover admin costs? We already have speed cameras sited more for revenue than safety, there was talk on another thread of trackers for "emergency" location. Tax on fuel, insurance is at the whim of GB, congestion charging is at the whim of local councils.
Now it looks like they want to ensure that diy car repairs are banned so that they can gather more tax from parts, services, wages NI etc. Will cleaning the car also be banned at home to avoid possible pollution? Will car washes therefore be taxed as well?
I get the impression that someone in this so called government is a George Orwell fan and has memorised both 1984 and Animal Farm.

All together now ----

New Labour good
Everyone else bad

New Labour good
Everyone else bad

More Taxes on car ownership? - Hugo {P}
This post is just to bring the thread to the top of the pile.

H
More Taxes on car ownership? - squeekybrakes
....and whilst we are all equal, some of us are more equal than others......
More Taxes on car ownership? - Robin Reliant
Where did they get their facts from? Sounds like scaremongering based on the views of a few extremists being presented as proposed government policy. Rather along the lines of The Sun's claims that Labour councils were banning the term black bin liners because it was racist.
More Taxes on car ownership? - wemyss
Doesn?t life get more complex with an ever increasing level of bureaucracy and form filling.
Every day letter after letter of changes to this or voting for that and warning me that I?m liable to being fined or even imprisoned for failing to conform or absorb huge amounts of information.
In the last hour dealt with today?s mail.
The building society with two booklets telling me how well they have performed in my interests and wishing me to vote to keep the Executive directors on their splendid performance related pay ranging from 380K downwards.
Non-executives from 85K down for attending a meeting probably monthly.

Road tax which includes a booklet ?New tax Rules? informing me of changes developed to comply with a European directive to introduce a common format for the identification of vehicles. Other new rules which I?m supposed to remember and could be fined £1000.00 if I don?t.

Car insurance renewal with a booklet telling me of changes to various aspects of my cover. Warning me if I fail to tell them of any changes I can expect to be punished. Must remember to get my MOT done.

A personal letter from Michael Howard asking me for help in getting rid of Tony by delivering leaflets and sending money for the cause. And of course a form to fill in if I wish to have a postal vote.

A letter from the council telling me where my money is being spent, and asking me to fill in a questionnaire telling them how well they are doing. And would I be willing to help in starting more groups to help the community and spend more of my money in new schemes providing more jobs for them in the process.

My new tax code arrives with another book explaining I must inform them of any changes?
And finally my travel insurance renewal with a thick book to read warning me of failure to disclose any illness I have ever suffered and how they will try to avoid any claim if at all possible.

Information fatigue is setting in and life gets more complicated by the year. I wonder if it?s the same the world over , a desert island with no postman seems more and more appealing..

More Taxes on car ownership? - mfarrow
One could very well argue that the state of a car is a more important safety issue than the part P building regulations ammendment re. electrical installations. But at least vehicles are checked once per year...

I wouldn't be surprised if these laws come into affect within my lifetime, or at least the one regarding fixing cars yourself. Scrapping of cars over 15 years old? Hmmm, don't think this will happen, as two 15 year old cars aren't the same in terms of wear, safety protection, etc.

I think in the end it will all come down to statistics. i.e. how many accidents per year are a result of old/high mileage car mechanical failure. Few I suspect. Or age of vehicles involved in mechanical failure-related accidents. Anyone got such a statistic?

Mike Farrow
More Taxes on car ownership? - Robin Reliant
I don't know the figures, but I have read that accidents caused by mechanical failure are very low, as mfarrow suggests. These probably include tyre and brake failures as well, which are not really age related as the parts are consumables and any brake cylinder or pipe damage should be picked up by an Mot tester.

I would guess that the number of older vehicles involved in accidents, however, is comparatively high as a fair proportion of these are owned by the less responsible members of society.
More Taxes on car ownership? - Altea Ego
I was reading a very interesting article in the Times. It seems that the cost of any transport initiative that removes money from the chancelor in the form of taxes from motoring has to be added to its capital costs.

For example. New bus lane? means more people travel by bus and less by car. They have to estimate how many car miles will be lost and add the equivalent amount of fuel tax lost to the capital cost of the bus lane to give to the chancelor.

Bypass? cars travel more quickly, use less petrol in jams - loss of tax revenue has to be calculated to add to the cost.

This is truly truly stupid thinking. What chance or incentive is there to provide better transport when its all hampered this way. Not to mention absolutely no incentive to reduce polution.

Its mad. Little shocks or suprises me but this just leaves me dumbstruck.
More Taxes on car ownership? - Sofa Spud
I also think this report is alarmist - reminds me of a radical feminist university lecturer who told us (in the early 1980's) that the Thatcher government was proposing to ban women from full-time work.

Cheers, SS
More Taxes on car ownership? - Oz
loss of tax revenue has to be calculated to add to the cost.

Consistent with diesel fuel (which gives higher fuel economy) being expensive than petrol. Contrary to the rest of the world.

Oz (as was)
More Taxes on car ownership? - MichaelR
Banning of fixing your own car and compulsury scrapping of all cars over 15 years old?

This cannot possibly be true, I suggest this article is purely scaremongering.

More Taxes on car ownership? - Dwight Van Driver
Scaremongering with a tad of truth.

The Kent Act is mentioned. Many years ago North Yorkshire brought it legislation to the effect that ALL dealers within the County in Second Hand Goods had to register (free) with Trading Standards and keep certain records as to where they obtained their goods from and, over a certain high value, to whom they sold. I understand that other Counties were interested in this, Kent being one.

No Car Booters, Auto Jumblers were not put out of business as the attic clearer was exempt and it did assist Police etc to trace stolen property.

DVD
More Taxes on car ownership? - holly1
Well, I would continue to fix my old car regardless.... been to far too many garages over the years, been charged sky high amounts only to find the work is either very poor or not required.

Maybe they should sort out these cowboys first .....
More Taxes on car ownership? - nick
It looks more like the writer of the original 'Jumbler' piece may be suffering from paranoia and should perhaps consider psychiatric help.
Oh, and did you hear? Blair eats babies for breakfast and wants everyone microchipped at birth.
More Taxes on car ownership? - Thommo
Nick you are going to get microchipped at birth, its called an identity card.

More Taxes on car ownership? - GrahamF1
Heard about this 'no fixing your car yourself' and 'compulsory scrapping of cars when they reach 15 years old' before.

We need to look at WHY it's being proposed. Who's behind it, who's lobbying the government for these changes? I very much doubt that RoSPA are campaigning for it on safety grounds. No, you guessed it, it's the motor manufacturers, dealer networks and 'Fast Fit' chains.

With so many proposals to change the law of the land, all you have to do is root into the detail and find out who's lobbying for it. Whoever's lobbying for it will have a vested interest, so this needs to be exposed in order for fair debate to take place. No-one ever lobbied for anything unless it was in their interests.

The comforting thought is that it would never win public support and mass disobedience of such regulations would ensure. At least that's what I hope, I have some faith left in the British public.
More Taxes on car ownership? - just a bloke
LMAO...

Like I'm gonna scrap my 20 year old spider on the say so of the government and likewise I'm gonna stop servicing and fixing it myself?

I don't think so.... they wouldn't stop me driving it either TBH.

JaB
More Taxes on car ownership? - quizman
There are hundreds of passenger airplanes still flying that are well over 20 years old.
More Taxes on car ownership? - Ex-Moderator
There are hundreds of passenger airplanes still flying that are well
over 20 years old.

True. Although its fair to say that there are a fair number which are not, and in any case I really wouldn't be all that happy with the pilot maintaining it in his spare time at home.
More Taxes on car ownership? - thallium81
The good burghers of Edinburgh have just thrown out the council's bid to introduce a congestion charge in the city. Power to the People.

Modern cars are quite capable of fifteen years of useful life if properly maintained, I cannot imagine any government banning vehicles based solely on age.
More Taxes on car ownership? - GrahamF1
Cars have been capable of 15 years plus for ages. It's just that not many enjoy sufficient routine maintenance or are driven with the mechanical sympathy to last that long.

If anything, modern cars are less capable of lasting so long (at least, economically) because of the complicated and expensive electics and computers they contain.