electric oil pumps - storme
think about it.............................

we are told that the most damage is caused to our cars by the 1st few seconds of the engine turning over...the oil all sinks to the bottom of the sump,,and relies on the engine being turned over,to get the crankshaft moving,,which in turn,sets off the oil pump....which then sorts out the oil supply...
so why not do this.............
have an electric pump,,or a smaller electric pump to aid the main pump.....
if we put the key in and turned it to the second position ,,the pump would then start....give it a second,,,,which we should do anyway,,,,,read your manuals...about the ignition check...
if we waited a second or two,,the oil would already be flowing!!!!!!!!

voila oil flowing b4 the engine can damage itself...

is this tooo obvious??
or is it a way of the makers NOT making the cars last longer??

is this a stupid idea,,,,or just too easy for the car makers to understand???
electric oil pumps - mfarrow
I thought some new cars did have electric oil pumps? My mated 02 Clio oil light goes off before started.
electric oil pumps - GIM
See below .... extracted from:
www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/index.html?menu....l

The current trend is the "90% of your engine wear happens at startup" advertising ploy. This fact is absolutely true, but as it happens, it's less to to with "grinding engine parts" and more to do with combustion. When the combustion gases burn, they form acids which are highly corrosive when their vapours condense. These acids collect in the upper cylinder areas where their temperature is raised above their dew point. The acids condense and etch the cylinder walls and piston rings. In reality, this accounts for over 85% of engine wear, the other 15% being down to abrasion.
if this is true,,,and i dont doubt you,,,,,,,,,
this means that there is nothing we can do to prevent engine wear,,,or nothing we can do to prevent the main cause of engine wear..
electric oil pumps - Schnitzel
Most engines that are properly maintained seem to last beyond the rest of the car, and if they do fail it doesn't seem to be due to wear of lubricated moving parts very often. While it is interesting and could make you cut down on unneccessary cold starts, it reminds me of the "Every kiss takes 15 seconds off your lifespan" claim.
electric oil pumps - J Bonington Jagworth
"Every kiss takes 15 seconds off your lifespan"

Doesn't bode well for today, then... :-)
electric oil pumps - Civic8
>>The acids condense and etch the cylinder walls and piston rings.
To some extent this is correct.But only on old oils.If oil has been replaced at correct time.It should prevent this occurring.Abrasion only occurs where oil is not present/broken down.by acids you mentioned.regular oil change should prevent this happening.?
--
Steve
If it is a stupid idea, you can comfort yourself with the thought that I had exactly the same one, which I mentioned in a letter to CAR magazine c.1974. I think most ancillaries could be electric, given the cheapness and reliability of modern motors - indeed, why not use some waste energy to generate the electricity, with an exhaust turbo? Then have an electric, lag-free, inlet turbo to match...

As HJ and others have mentioned more than once, changing the oil more often than recommended is probably the simplest and cheapest way of extending your engine's life.
electric oil pumps - trancer
Not the same thing, but years ago I used to see ads for a "pre-luber" system. It was a small reservoir that filled with engine oil when the engine was running using normal oil pressure. When the engine was switched off, the reservoir would hold the oil then when the ignition was next switched on, the reserved oil would be released supposedly lubing the engine before it was actually started.
electric oil pumps - Aprilia
If it is a stupid idea, you can comfort yourself with
the thought that I had exactly the same one, which I
mentioned in a letter to CAR magazine c.1974. I think most
ancillaries could be electric, given the cheapness and reliability of modern
motors - indeed, why not use some waste energy to generate
the electricity, with an exhaust turbo? Then have an electric, lag-free,
inlet turbo to match...

Personally I would keep away from unecessary electric motors. A lot of EPAS (electric power steering) systems seem to be failing at the moment. The old hydraulic PAS systems rarely failed. I don't like the idea of having to rely on an electric oil pump or coolant pump. "If it works, don't fix it".
Fair point, Aprilia. Mechanical oil pumps are simple and efficient, so any electric assistance should perhaps be in addition to, rather than instead of. Failure of an electric-only system would be rather counter-productive!

WRT improving lubrication generally, I imagine that one of the best things you could do is to pre-heat the oil. In the days of summer and winter single-grade oils, I (just) remember the little paraffin heaters that were placed under the sump at night...

i didnt mean ,,electric only,,,i meant as a help a few seconds b4 the engine started to turn,,
and as for pre heat,,,,,
i once saw an advert for a company in ringwood,,hampshire,,uk

it went something like this

a heater which used a small amount of petrol
and had a timer,,,so u could set it to come on 10 mins b4 you left 4 work each day
would heat the water in the system,,,,therefore,when you started the car in was already at operating temperature...
im sure the company was schlumberger...

i didnt buy it,,it was about £700 :(

i just think the manufacturers could do more......
electric oil pumps - Aprilia
'Block Heaters' are readily available in the US, Canada and parts of nothern Europe. Just a simple heating element that screws into the water jacket. Put it on a time-switch.

To be honest, I think we seldom get weather in the UK that's cold enough to warrant these measures - and with thinner oils its not really necessary anyway.