Insuring a banger - Conditional Identity
Not sure if you guys can help, but I'd appreciate any nuggets of info you can give me.

It's renewal time on my insurance, and I've got a few quotes for my reliable old Cavalier SRi, but they almost outweigh the value of the car.

I don't need to worry about people nicking or damaging my car as it's worth peanuts now, but obviously need cover. However, I do wish to retain my no claims for future purchases.

Is it therefore possible to get third-party cover which protects my no claims?
Insuring a banger - Ex-Moderator
Providing the insurance includes road risks, then it has no relevance to your NCD.

So NCD earned on a TPO policy can be used on Comprehensive and vice versa or any other combination you can think of.

Reduce the cover to TPO now and increase to comprehensive or whatever later on.
Insuring a banger - artful dodger {P}
I would check the quotes for fully comprehensive and Third Party Only as it usually makes little difference on very old cars providing you have a high no claims bonus. The main factor working against you is that you drive a SRi rather than a standard Cavalier. Again age is another consideration, if you are over 50 you will find premiums drop. A friend of mine has a 205 GTi and has very low insurance because of his age and no claims bonus.
Recently I changed cars and was considering a 6 year old 1.6 petrol or 2.4 turbo diesel and surprisingly the diesel was only £35.00 more after my 70% protected NCB (an amazing discount with Direct Line).
Best of luck.
Insuring a banger - Retro
This will either be a brilliant idea or totally...well you know!

If you are doing low miles, have a good record etc have you tried to get a Classic Car quote?
Insuring a banger - Retro
If it works they will not require ncb.

Your ncb will expire with most firms after 2 years, so if it helps Norwich Union are one of the only firms to take ncb up to 3 years old.

A cunning trick to renew ncb coming up to two years old if you do not want to loose it, is to insure a car for say a week and then cancel the policy. The bonus will then be up to date. Also with some of the daft rules and offers that seem to be de rigeur nowadays, it will probably cost you very little to do this.
Insuring a banger - Victorbox
I can confirm from experience that for an over 40 the difference between Fully Comp & TPF&T on an old Cav is usually about £30 to £40.
Insuring a banger - martint123
A fiver difference between FC and TPF&T oldie with a 15 year old MX5.
Insuring a banger - SpamCan61 {P}
Another over 40 with very little difference (£40) between FC & TPF&T on my old cavalier 1.8.

What stopped me dropping to TPF&T was the potentail bill for dragging the car off the motorway in the event of an at fault accident.
Insuring a banger - Conditional Identity
Good point - thanks for all your replies guys