Insurance again - daveyjp
I've sold my current car but won't be getting a replacement for
10-12 weeks.

If I cancel my insurance this week I will be starting a new policy in April, which means my current no claims will remain the same until April 06 when, subject to a claim, I will clock up another year.

If I keep my policy going despite not having the car (if this is possible/legal as the new owner will need to insure it) I will clock up another year's no claim in June 05. I will pay any extra for April, May and part of June then start a new policy in June with the new car and another year NCB.

Should I cancel or keep it going?

Any advice from someone in the insurance trade?
Insurance again - Retro
It depends on whether your present insurer will cancel pro-rata.

If they do and by bonus you mean that you have at least one year, I would cancel and get the best deal when the new car arrives. If your policy ends at the end of June you should get 5/12s of your money back....unless you deal with a broker when they will take a fee.

If they do not offer pro-rata, check the policy terms and take a view on the situation.

I would always err towards having the money in my pocket and haggling closer to the time.
Insurance again - Stargazer {P}
Some insurers will allow you to 'close' a policy where you notify them that there is currently no car to cover but the policy becomes dormant...so no risk of another claim on the policy and at renewal time you get the extra year NCB. Not sure what the official name of this process is.

This was useful for me once in a fairly unusual set of circumstances.

No refund though!

StarGazer