Churchill, any dealings, good or bad??? - MuttleyMcLad

Hi Roomers....

My insurance is up for renewal next month, after getting about 20 or so quotes, the cheapest premium ive been quoted was by Churchill. Has anyone any good/bad dealings with them?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rich
Churchill, any dealings, good or bad??? - mfarrow
A friend of mine has just renewed his insurance, and has swapped to Churchill from Norwich Union, they're cheaper now he's turned 21. He hasn't had any problems as such, though he has yet to make a claim.

I plan to do the same switch in May. If they're cheaper than everyone else, and the brand is well known, there's no point going anywhere else!
Churchill, any dealings, good or bad??? - Mondaywoe
I've never had a competitive quote from Churchill oddly enough -always find them dearer. I'm with Tescos just now - they take a lot of beating. (you get your points too!)

Graeme
Churchill, any dealings, good or bad??? - Baileys2000
I seem to be switching between churchill and tesco at the moment. Each year they out do the other. Have had to make a claim with both over the years, both fine and dealt with it all without hassle.

I'm probably going back with them again this year.
Churchill, any dealings, good or bad??? - Altea Ego
Funny that, churchill, tesco and direct line are all the same company.
Churchill, any dealings, good or bad??? - Quinny100
I was with Churchill last year and they were ok but insured my TDCi Mondeo as a 2.0 petrol when I rang up to tell them I'd changed from a Focus - I specifically told them it was a TDCi 130. It was only by me being eagle-eyed and noticing they had the engine capacity down as 1999cc (the diesel is 1998cc) when I received the schedule. Rang them up the same day and they immediately refunded the extra £90 the petrol cost to insure and sent me new documents straight away, but anyone less observant may have been stung and who knows what would have happened if I had tried to claim.

They were cheaper for me last year by a huge margin over everyone else, but from next month I'll be with Admiral who undercut the renewal premium by nearly £300 this time.
Churchill, any dealings, good or bad??? - Ex-Moderator
who knows what would have happened if I had tried to claim.

You'd have got a refund.

>>next month I'll be with Admiral who undercut the renewal premium

This is no comment upon Admiral, or any other specific insurer for that matter.

There are three sides to Motor Insurance - The main insurance (Accidental Damage, Theft and TP Liability) , the add-ons (Windscreen cover, replacement cars, legal services, contents) and the customer service.

The first is pretty much a constant really. The amount of the second and the quality of the third can be dramatically affected by the principle of "you get what you pay for".

You wouldn't pay for a Corsa and expect a Ferrari.

I tmay not be completely true because of the insurer's approach to its current desired portfolio can have a significant impact, but it is worth bearing in mind.

As always with insurance, get everything in writing and readit carefully.

Churchill, any dealings, good or bad??? - VTiredeyes
churchill were really good at putting the front end back on my rover 216gsi.
this was some time ago, like 8 years, but they were good.
my best premiums are with norwich union for the scooby sti. only £670 a year.
and esure for my brand new megane £265.
all fully comp & legal protection and ncd protected.
Churchill, any dealings, good or bad??? - Ex-Moderator
For a good experience with a claim you need, as a minimum, good service from;

Your insurer (various departments interacting)
The repairer
The inspector
The postman

Consequently good, or bad, service may be from a number of places - not neccessarily the insurer itself.
Churchill, any dealings, good or bad??? - Stuartli
>>This is no comment upon Admiral, or any other specific insurer for that matter.>>

To the best of my knowledge, Admiral is an insurance broker.

I've used various companies over the years, including Touchline (now a broker), Churchill, AXA and currently Directline.

All have delivered excellent service but I've never had to make a claim so can't comment from this aspect. As a point of interest, Churchill took over the Prudential's buildings and contents insurance cover service a while back, although the Pru still sends out renewal notices.

I check out a range of comprehensive insurance quotes for my car annually online and switched to DirectLine two years ago when it quoted the cheapest, rather than the most expensive, premium.

Last July my premium actually went down, the renewal letter stating it had been reduced from £193 to £176...:-)

This is a first, although I have enjoyed two or three years at the same rate in the past from one or two companies.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Churchill, any dealings, good or bad??? - Badger
I'll be with Admiral who undercut the renewal premium by nearly £300 this time.

I hate to intrude on private grief, but that's a good deal more than my entire fully comp premium on a 2.0 litre Mégane. Ah, the benefits of codgerdom.
I forgot to add that that's with Churchill via the AA.
Churchill, any dealings, good or bad??? - bimmer-driver
My car insurance is with Churchill, and when I made a claim they were excellent. Pleasant staff and phones answered really quickly.
I'll definitely renew with them as they were the cheapest by a long way for me.
Churchill was fine on my one (no fault) claim as well. Paid up promptly, and eventually recovered my excess from the other side as well.
Churchill, any dealings, good or bad??? - frostbite
Poor experience with Prudential Home & Contents, now owned by Winterthur, owners of Churchill.
Churchill, any dealings, good or bad??? - Bromptonaut
Like somebody else I've never had a competitive quote from them. Think they're also on my blacklist 'cos they want to be told every time I take the car to France for the day. Like hello, we're connected by a tunnel and ferries every ten minutes. Pick up a bargain crossing at last minute only to be stuffed as I have not got time to mess with a call centre, don't think so.

Elephant.com hit the spot for me.
My Churchill policy doesn't. I get the usual 45 days (or whatever) per year anywhere in Western Europe.
Churchill, any dealings, good or bad??? - Bromptonaut
My Churchill policy doesn't. I get the usual 45 days
(or whatever) per year anywhere in Western Europe.

Good for you. Maybe Churchill we're just pricy then, but it was amazing how many companies give you X days foreign use but expect you to notify in advance of using them, and even to pay extra.

How does this work on the Continent? Does a Frenchman in say Dunkerque need to tell his insurer before nipping over the border for Moules Frites in De Panne?
No idea, and up to those 45 days total I don't have to notify in advance. I do agree though that since we're all supposed to be good Europeans now the whole thing is an out-of-date nonsense. We had to be dragged kicking and struggling away from green cards.
Churchill, any dealings, good or bad??? - quizman
My son got the cheapest quote from NFU Mutual for his MB SLK 200. I have been with them for years, and I am paying £266 for my Passat and £185 for my Focus fully comp.
When I have had a claim, I can go to the office to sort it out, and speak to real people, which is better than a call centre in India.
Also you do not have to be a member of the NFU to insure with them.
Churchill, any dealings, good or bad??? - Chris S
If you got to the Insurance link (underneath the red Search button at the top of this page) then it will take you to the Autotrader insurance page.

You can search about 40 different companies at once.

Autotrader don't even charge commission, they just give you the insurer's details and leave you to get in touch with them.
Churchill, any dealings, good or bad??? - GrahamF1
I'm with Churchill, best premium I found and they answer the phones quickly without sending you through the world's biggest automated system.

Haven't made a claim yet though.

From talking to others, Churchill seem to be a good bet on price if you're young (but not under 21) and drive a middle of the road car (large hatch or saloon, 2.0 engine, not a sports car).

Found the same as someone else mentioned in that they got my car details wrong when I submitted my postcode. Last year they decided that my Passat TDi 110bhp was actually 90bhp, so I wasn't going to quibble (if it comes down to it, I can insist that I gave my registration correctly and am not technically minded and therefore don't know whether my car is a 90 or a 110). But this year they did it the other way and called it a 115bhp model, so I corrected them!
Churchill, any dealings, good or bad??? - GrahamF1
Registration, not postcode.

Must be time for my medication...
>>Autotrader don't even charge commission,>>

Autotrader will make something out of the link to insuresupermarket, most likely by advertising revenue from the link.

Insuresupermarket appears to be a broker in an online form; nothing unusual as there are many of them out there.
PS

By reading all of an individual URL link you can work out whether such companies are operating sites that take a commission from introducing potential customers.

More general sites of this nature include Kelloo, PriceChecker, Froogle, DealTime etc.

Can save a lot of hunting looking for particular items but it's advisable to remember that such websites don't include every potential source - you can often find items cheaper searching in a more general way using google or Teoma.
Churchill, any dealings, good or bad??? - Altea Ego
"now owned by Winterthur, owners of Churchill."

Churchill is owned by the RBSG.
Churchill, any dealings, good or bad??? - Andrew-T
Churchill provides LloydsTSB insurance as well. (there doesn't seem to be much genuine competition, does there?)
Churchill, any dealings, good or bad??? - hillman
"Funny that, churchill, tesco and direct line are all the same company." Didn't know that !
I was intrigued to find the Churchill gave me a cheaper premium for a husband and and wife joint policy. I got mine through the AA too.
I'm trying Saga this time because they were cheaper and had pursued me for a number of years. You know, Aga, Saga, gaga!

My neighbour visited the Churchill repairs garage regularly. He had an arrangement to buy their Discoverys and trailers when they replaced them with purpose built car transporters. The transporters had to be individually made and he had to wait until one was delivered before his Disco became redundant. He pitched up on the day, but the transporter had been stolen out of the locked up workshop the previous night. The tracker transponder which had been fitted was lying on the ground where the vehicle had been.