Computer related questions. Volume 39 - Dynamic Dave

******** This thread now closed. Please see Volume 40********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=28747

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 39. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Hard Drive Problems - Badger
A hard drive problem.

My PC runs WinXP (SP2 installed) with a 40Mb HDD partitioned as C, D and E drives. It's a Medion and came that way. No problem for a couple of years, but now on bootup, I get an error message to the effect that Drive D needs "checking for consistency" and (unless I override it) it then runs a disc check before declaring all OK. NTFS file system.

I have tried everything from a disk defrag to a complete erase and reinstall using the recovery disc. It seems to me unlikely to be a physical fault on the disc, but perhaps a discombobulation of the NTFS file structure which, presumably, is left intact by the recovery process.

Any idea, please?
PS. Sorry I stupidly entered no title. Put it down to my own hard drive running slow . . .

Done. DD
Hard Drive Problems - Adam {P}
Forgive me Badger but what are you actually asking? What causes the error to come up?

Usually, if your computer isn't shut down properly, then you'll get this message and running scandisk fully will stop if from coming up ever again (presuming the errors are fixed). However, I've guessing from your post that it's coming up all the time regardless of how many times you run scandisk?

Sorry for being completely inept at reading - you'll have to dumb it down for me ;-)
--
Adam
Thanks, Adski. I should have been more specific.

It's no real problem, but an irritant that slows booting, so I would like to get rid of it if poss. Scandisk I remember as a corrective on Win9*, but this process on XP does not correct anything --it's always there at bootup. Then there's the lurking suspicion that if summat's wrong now it can only get worse. Like cars, really.

Suggestions on a) cause and b) remedy would be welcome, please.
Forgot to add that this happens every time, after normal shutdown in all cases.
Hard Drive Problems - Citroënian {P}
Hi

a) cause
What Adam said really - improper shutdown previously, or it not realising that it has successfully shutdown and checked the disk.

b) remedy
You can hack to stop it checking for consistency altogether but I'd be a bit wary of that.

You mentioned in the first post that you'd erased the disk - given the hard drives are all but free these days, I'd be tempted to buy another, install Windows onto that and use the orig as a slave. You could then get to your data and have a good install of Windows that shouldn't require scandisk everytime. (or install again on same disk after backing up your data)

hth,
Lee.

--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
Thanks, Lee. Actually, since it's only 40Mb and prices are coming down, the thought of a new disk has crossed my mind. (Only (!) 40Mb he says, recalling when 2Mb was a monster)

The really puzzling thing is that there has not(at least to my knowledge) been a dodgy shut-down.

I'm not too hot on hardware (you'd never have guessed it?) but am I correct in believing that once a HD has the NTFS file system written on it then you cannot reformat the disk and start again with a clean sheet?
When you reformat the hard drive you can specify FAT32 or NTFS. With the likes of XP and 2000 I'd stick with NTFS though.

What Lee says is a good idea. I'm looking at hard drives myself. Believe it or not, I've filled 200gig...well - I have about 1 gig left so I deperately need one!

They're so cheap now it's unbelieveable.
--
Adam
So the *format c:* (or whatever drive) command in DOS will work even though the HD already has an NTFS file structure? And yes, I wouldn't entertain the idea of FAT 32 these days.
Actually, I don't think it would no. I've not done it that way for years. I *think* with XP (certainly the case with 2000) that if you put the cd in, set it up in BIOS so the CD boots first, then go through the format that way. That's definitely the way to do it in 2000 - I'm pretty sure XP is the same given it's NT inner workings.

--
Adam
Yes, I believe that's the routine with a WinXP installation disk, but this is an OEM installation and does not come with an original WinXP disk. The Recovery Disk supplied does not have the options of a full blown Microshaft disk. Sounds like it's new disk time. Ah well, there goes Lady Badger's chocolate for another week or three.

Thanks all the same, fellers. I appeciate the time you have spent.
Ahhh - recovery disks! I don't know of a way of changing the file system type with these but there could well be one. My mums laptop has these recovery discs and they are great when something goes wrong but if you lose them....

...put it this way. Don't!

--
Adam
Hard Drive Problems - Civic8
Badger.For a fresh start delete the partition XP is on.Set up new partition in the old space. Which automatically come up on screen. Partition will then be formatted according to choices given. Ie FAT 32/NTFS.I think you need to press a button on keyboard for confirmation of format chosen.XP will then set itself up
--
Steve
Thanks, Steve. I'll give that a try. I'm going outside -- I may be some time . . .
Woah. I'm not too sure that the recovery disc will install on that partition. I have a sneaking feeling that it will basically overwrite the partition and install it's own way.

Could be wrong of course - frequently am.
--
Adam
I have a pukka WinXP disc for another machine. I was going to try with that and if I make a pig's ear of it, or it won't take, then it doesn't matter. I'll just use the recovery disc to do a clean instal again. It'll keep me off the streets for a while.
Hard Drive Problems - Altea Ego
Use the pukka xp disk to go into the console, and you get access to fdisk. You can then format and change you partitions as you wish.

You recovery disk will try and recreate the old system as was, complete with all those stupid partitions
Beware
all your windows files may be on a hidden partition on the disk and just accessed by the recovery disk.
I think I have a copy of fdisk somewhere anyway. Only need to find it.
Hard Drive Problems - Altea Ego
Needs to be able to deal with HPFS, Sorry I mean NTFS!
Hard Drive Problems - David Horn
Absolutely essential that you leave the network cable / wireless card / modem lead disconnected when you install Windows, or you WILL get a virus. The average time now between connecting an unprotected machine to the internet and getting a virus is in the region of seconds.

Take these steps:

1) Disconnect from internet
2) Stick Windows XP CD in and boot from it
3) At first blue screen, push Enter.
4) Next screen, push F8 to move past the license.
5) You should see a screen with 3 partitions listed. Delete them all. (Select them, press D, then L to confirm.)
6) Select "Unpartitioned space" and push enter
7) Choose Format NTFS (Quick) and push enter.

Let Windows install. Leave it unplugged from the internet.

8) Put Service Pack 2 on (if necessary, download it before hand or pick up a free CD from PC World.
9) Put a virus scanner on.
10) Reconnect to internet.
11) Go to Windows Update
12) Make cup of tea.

My personal experience is that the default install provided by Medion is terrible. It's bloated and buggy, and you'll be far better off without it. Don't forget you might need a copy of Office as well.
Hot Hard Drives - Dynamic Dave
I've also got a hard drive query.

I recently fitted an additional hard drive, and had the cover off the pc again today to fit the new tv card I got from Aldi yesterday.

Anyway, the pc had been on for a number of hours prior to me fitting the tv card and I was surprised at how hot the hard drives were. I could only put my hand on them for a few seconds before the heat got too much for my pinkies to bear any longer.

I remember that the existing drive was slightly warm when I installed the second drive, but the pc had been off for approx an hour, so I cannot compare the temperature of that drive with the heat I felt today.

Should they be this hot?
Should I consider fitting an additonal cooling fan?
Maxtor's website (make of both drives, btw) says "All Maxtor ATA, SATA, and SCSI drives can operate with or without a fan, providing the hard disk temperature does not exceed 131°F (55°C) as measured from the top cover of the drive. Reliability will be compromised when the drive is exposed to temperatures above 55°C or 131°F. When in doubt of your system's ventilation capabilities, or ambient environment of your hard disk, add an extra cooling fan to the drive bay or system case to force air across the drive."
Hot Hard Drives - Altea Ego
Yes hard drives get hot. Hot enough to be uncomfortable. As long as you have a bit of free space around the top of the drive no you dont need another fan (or the noise it generates)
Hot Hard Drives - Badger
In the absence of a thermometer, you cannot leave your finger on a temperature in excess of 70 degrees C. A test I used to use on transistor heatsink.s
Hot Hard Drives - mfarrow
Personally I always like to make sure I have at least 3 screws fixing the HDD in place to aid heat disspation. The cooler the drive runs, I am led to believe, the longer it will last.

Generally though the drive should be fine, those hard drive silencers sold by the like of www.quietpc.com put loads more thermal strain on the drive than leaving it in static air in the system.
Hot Hard Drives - Obsolete
DD:

Some motherboards and systems have thermometers built-in - presumably thermocouples - and you can read the recorded values from the BIOS or a system utility. Mine reads the CPU, disk and several other temperatures. That should give you peace of mind, or reason to panic. Mine run at about 40C. I do remember like you recently adding a new HDD and finding the old one too hot to touch with comfort. A colleague informs me that running excessively hot will shorten the component life time.

Unfortunately I can't remember the utility that does the job for you, but checking the BIOS isn't hard.

Leif
Some motherboards and systems have thermometers built-in - presumably thermocouples -
and you can read the recorded values from the BIOS or
a system utility. Mine reads the CPU, disk and several other
temperatures.

Looks like mine only reads the CPU and System Temperature.
After being switched on for some 6 hours,
The CPU temp is currently reading 52°C.
The system temp is currently reading 40°C.

Am I to assume that the system temperature is the general temperature inside the PC case?

I do have a spare fan connection on the motherboard if I need to fit an additional fan.

Slightly sidetracking, I notice that the CPU warning Temperature is set to Disabled. Should that be set at a value rather than being disabled, and if so, what temp would be ideal?
Hot Hard Drives - mfarrow
You would need to physically attach the thermistor to the drive to get a reading, and more importantly find one!

On the cooling front, I've heard in the past of people who have underclocked their CPUs so they don't need to use a fan! Not particularly recommended, though most motherboards with automatically shutdown the PC should the CPU temperature approach 'critical'.

After measuring the temperature of the hard drives (~45°C, which is around 10°C lower than Maxtor said was the max temp they can reliably run at) I've decided to fit an 80 mm case fan as the mounting bracket and the socket on the motherboard were already there.

Pc is now slightly noiser, but hopefully with the increased airflow through the system, should cool it down a bit more. Failing that, I'll add a fan directly onto the hard drive as well.
Corrupted file after crash - Mike H
One of my colleagues was working on a Word document on a floppy disk when the laptop ran out of juice & closed itself down. The file now appears to be corrupted - at least, Word won't open it. Are there any utilities out there to get at the data, or another program perhaps I could try openimng it with? Doesn't matter if the formatting is lost as long as we get the words back.

TIA
Corrupted file after crash - Dynamic Dave

Have you tried opening it using notepad?
Corrupted file after crash - mfarrow
You say Word won't open it? Usually if word manages to screw up a file it will open it with a load of funny symbols in place of formatting. Have you tried opening the file in Notepad? You should be able to get all the text out of it if it's just a corruption of the Word file type (scroll down through the carp and you should see it).

If Word was trying to save when the computer died, or the file size appears to be 0 bytes, you may be out of luck. Try running Scandisk in this case. It should pick up any redundant data it finds and dump it into .chk files. The words, at least, may then be found in one of these.
Corrupted file after crash - Mike H
No, Word just refuses totally - I can't remember the precise error message but it wouldn't do anything, I couldn't even copy & paste it to another drive. This leads me to believe that it's a bit more than simple data corruption.
Corrupted file after crash - mfarrow
What's the file size? Try opening it in Notepad or opening any temporary .tmp files on the disk (they may be hidden). Run scandisk as mentioned above if this doesn't work.
Corrupted file after crash - Citroënian {P}
if it's too big for notepad, try Wordpad...

And you might like to tick the option box within word -

Tools - Options - Save

(tick) Always create backup copy

Bit late for that last bit, but worthwhile anyhow.

--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
Epson C42 plus Printer - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Printer dialogue box says there is a paper jam.
Printer utility will allow a test page to be printed without problems.
Re-loaded print driver from CD - problem persists.
Can not get cover off to check for bits of paper.Pressed in little tabs but something else is holder top on.
Do I need to get the unit open or is there another solution?
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Epson C42 plus Printer - Phil I
You will probably do better dismounting printer completely and then re-install. Give it 5mins. to die completely off power should do the trick. HtH
Phil I
Sharing a Broadband connection - Clanger
My son has just bought a 4-port broadband router off Ebay and this device (after very little heartache) is now running X box live online gaming for him. Our ISP is going to double our bandwidth in March for no extra charge so I'd like to share the connection by plugging in my laptop and the house PC to the spare ports, but I've only the vaguest idea of how to start. Can anyone recommend any Internet tutorials or other information for the beginner, please?

TIA

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Sharing a Broadband connection - Pezzer
Hawkeye, assuming it is a wired router and you have Ethernet network cards in your PCs (v. cheap to buy if not) then with a bit of luck you should be able to just plug in and go as the router is already recognised by the ISP.

No doubt someone more technical will be along soon but it certainly is pretty straightforward.
Sharing a Broadband connection - adverse camber
It can indeed be that simple.

BUT, there are some major issues with security when you just plug yourself into the web on a permanent basis. You dont say what the router is, some have quite complex security featues, some are like leaving the front door wide open. Make sure you have up to date firewall and antivirus software (I like www.kerio.com for a free for personal use firewall and grisoft for free a/v - or use linux)

You can use wired networking, your laptop, if at all recent will have an ethernet port, you will need a suitable lenght of ethernet CAT 5 cable (straight through not crossover)plug one end into the router, other end into the laptop. Check the laptop has the network port enabled. Some do not power the network port if nothing is plugged into it on starting the laptop - that can usually be set in the bios. You may need to twiddle with the settings on the lappy, but start off telling it to use dhcp (dynamic addressing)

Does the router have wireless ?

Mark
Sharing a Broadband connection - mfarrow
Your PC and laptop should be set by default to "obtain an IP address automatically" and "obtain DNS server address automatically". Plug the cable into the back of the computers, and a little LED should come on (if it has one) showing the connection's working.

I presume you're using dial-up at the moment? You'll probably find that the dial-up keeps wanting to kick-in still every time you go on the Internet. You can get rid of this by going into the Connections tab in Internet Options on the Tools menu in IE, and selecting "never dial a connection".

You'll also need to change the options in Outlook, if you use it. Select Accounts from the Tools menu. Double-click on each account name and goto the Connections tab. Here, select "Connect using my local area network (LAN)", if it's not selected already.
Sharing a Broadband connection - Altea Ego
It will help if you let us know what router you have, and what operating system (win98 or XP)you intend to run on your connected machines.
Sharing a Broadband connection - Citroënian {P}
Another thought - you don't really need to wait until March - assuming your connection is already at least 512 it should be enough to run both the laptop and the Xbox.

Plug the network cable from the laptop into the router and _then_ switch the laptop on.

It should hopefully sort itself out - excellent advice from Mark and mf, but you can check if it's ticketly boo by

START - RUN - cmd (enter)

ipconfig /renew all

it should find a new IP address with the range 192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x. If you wind up with a 169.x.x.x it hasn't connected properly.

A message of "No adapters are in the correct state" or similar means you need to set the network adapter to automatically acquire an IP address (Control Panel, Network Settings, Local Area connection, TCP/IP, properties). Ensure both IP address and DNS servers are automatic.

What OS are you running? 98 is a bit of a pain compared to XP for these things...

Give it a whirl, after all, what's the worst that could happen? ;-)
--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
Thanks for your informative replies. The laptop runs Win ME, the PC runs Win 98 and the router is an Origo 8400. The objective is only to share the internet, not necessarily to have a network.
Hawkeye
"The laptop runs Win ME, the PC runs Win 98 and the router is an Origo 8400."

:: Sharp intake of breath through teeth ::

Well Gov. whole lots gonna need replacing.

Seriously, the Origo 8400 is a pig by all accounts. However it does provide DHCP services. So you need to set your winme and 98se machine to "obtain ip address automatically" and all should be well.

www.origo2000.com/show-prds.php?ID_NUM=58
Sharing a Broadband connection - mfarrow
If you leave your PC on all the time the Origo might have problems: I had an Origo once and it hated the wireless access point to the extent that it wouldn't assign an IP to certain PC's the house. Got rid and replaced with a Linksys. No problem since.
Sharing a Broadband connection - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
I've got a Netgear wireless broadband router connected to 2 pc's. One is via a cable and the other via a wireless card.
I found that I have to 'reset' the router by unplugging/reconnecting it if the pc's are switched off for more than a couple of hours. (The lights are on but no-one is there....)
This time frame is shorter if it was the wireless card that was the last to connect.

Is this normal?
No it aint. You should be able to seamlessly connect/ disconnect devices without resetting the router, specially a Netgear.

Check you have the latest firmware on the router.
Oh and log into the router to checks its logs, see whats been happening.
Thanks everyone for your replies. Connected up laptop, it brought up a screen asking for user id, password and domain name which I left blank and pressed Escape, booted up slowly, LED on 3Com PCMCIA 10 Mb card twinkled and I was connected.

I have to say that when I had a share in an IT company a year or two ago, the staff, despite the courses we sent them on and the letters after their names, would always complain bitterly about setting up routers, hubs and switches and took days to do what seemed to me simple tasks. How things have moved on!
Hawkeye
Reinstalling Pre-Installed XP - Welliesorter
I've been asked to try to sort out a PC belonging to a relative of a colleague. It was constantly loading Notepad and a load of unexplained browser windows once booted. When I got my hands on it, I found that the antvirus software hadn't been updated since 2001 (!), and there was no firewall.

Although the PC had only ever been used for the odd bit of web surfing and e-mailing over a dial-up connection, I found it to be absolutely riddled with viruses, trojans and adware. AVG found 90+ viruses, and the usual anti-spyware tools (Microsoft, AdAware, and Spybot S&D) found a similar number of bits of malware, and I don't just mean tracking cookies.

The vast majority of these nasties were removed easily enough but a few stubborn ones remained. Although the programs claim to remove them, they always return after Windows is restarted. Even after spending many hours trying to get rid of them with a combination of software tools (I discovered very useful program called TDS-3), and manual editing of registry and start-up items in MSConfig, I haven't been able to eliminate the last one or two.

Given the damage that all this malware could have done, and the time I've already wasted, I'd like to format the drive and install Windows from scratch but there's a problem.

The PC was made by a well-known Lancashire company that used to be advertised by Leonard Nimoy. The owner doesn't have a Windows CD and the company doesn't supply such a thing with new PCs. A bit of research on the web reveals that they offer a restore CD for an outrageous £60. This doesn't contain Windows, but does give access to a hidden part of the hard drive which contains the necessary files to restore the PC to as new condition. Needless to say, the owner didn't pay the £60. As far as I can tell, the hidden partition really is hidden: I can't get access to it from Windows or mount it in Knoppix (CD-based Linux distribution). The manufacturer's own web site statest that the partition can't even be seen by the PC's BIOS.

Can anyone think of a work-round (preferably legit) for this problem? I have an XP CD of my own but it's an upgrade version which I'm pretty sure won't work with the licence key on the sticker on the PC. Does anyone happen to know if one OEM version of XP Home is the same as any other? If I could get hold of someone else's OEM copy, would it be likely to work with the licence key or are things not that simple?

Thanks in anticipation.
Reinstalling Pre-Installed XP - mfarrow
I happily managed to re-install my system using an 'XP with SP2' CD, eliminating the need to install SP2 myself afterwards. So in my experience, yes, this should work.

::holds breath::
I happily managed to re-install my system using an 'XP with
SP2' CD, eliminating the need to install SP2 myself afterwards.
So in my experience, yes, this should work.

Was this an OEM disk or one you created yourself (my research tells me that this can be done and it's prefereable to installing XP and then SP2)?

::holds breath::

Well.. I would be. My own XP CD will boot the PC and could easily be used to reformat the drive. I'm worried about not being able to reinstall after the (completely legitimate) licence key on the PC gets rejected.

Was this an OEM disk or one you created yourself

This was with an genuine OEM disk of XP with SP2 I borrowed.
research tells me that this can be done and it's prefereable
to installing XP and then SP2?

I imagine it's preferable as you don't get a whole load of files backed-up and wasting space, as an automatic 'restore point'. It would also have keep the disk defragmented.
Reinstalling Pre-Installed XP - Kevin
Web browsing and email? Why not ditch MS altogether and introduce the owner to GNU/Linux?

Kevin...
Yes, I'd thought of that. I know that the PC is well suited to such treatment as I've been using Knoppix on it to download the software tools and do my web browsing to research the problems.

Sadly, I don't think the owner of the PC would be amenable to this.

My experience with this machine, and the efforts I go to to keep my own XP setup secure, are leading me to the conclusion that maintaining a Windows system safely involves no less effort than becoming a Linux guru. Windows is no longer the safe and hassle-free choice. My own PC also has Mandrake-Linux installed and using it is a pleasure by comparison. It also seems a lot faster because I don't need to keep antivirus and other security software running at all times.

Despite my reservations about the new 'cheap' Mac, I have a hunch that Apple will do quite well out of disillusioned Windows users who just want a hassle-free box to slot in in place of their existing PC.

And lest I be accused of departing from the purpose of the thread, I'll retire for the night now.

Thanks again.
Reinstalling Pre-Installed XP - Dalglish
welliesorter -
i know you are quite well upto speed on these things, so excuse me if i am just repeating the obvious:

1. nasties - presume you have tried the latest versions of cwshredder and hijackthis. can you tell us which nasties you are unable to remove?

2. as the hard drive hidden partition may not be accessed during re-format or a new system install, why not get a brnd new hard disk?

3. in any case, installing xp-home using a reviously unused license should be ok. upgrade-cd will look for previous copy of a windows os on the hd.

4. a google search should reveal current situation regarding xp-sp2 product activation. for xp-sp1, the activation issues are well explained at
aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

5. the legit method is likely to involve a new hd plus an unused original of xp.

1. nasties - presume you have tried the latest versions of
cwshredder and hijackthis. can you tell us which nasties you are
unable to remove?

Yes. I spotted quite a few using hijackthis that nothing else had identified. You need to be fairly knowledgable to use the program but by that stage I'd become so familiar with what was and wasn't legitimate that it wasn't hard to spot the problem processes. I know I should have made a note of the names of the remaining offenders, but neglected to do so. The PC is currently disconnected and on the floor and dismantling my own to plug it in and find out isn't a trivial task. There are only one or two remaining nasties and TDS-3 and other anti-virus/trojan software does appear to get rid of them but they always come back. I have disabled the system restore function as I know this can cause malware not to be removed. I dare say it would be possible to remove the remaining items with a lot more effort and research but I feel it's time to cut my losses.
2. as the hard drive hidden partition may not be accessed
during re-format or a new system install, why not get a
brnd new hard disk?

In short it's not my PC and the owner wouldn't want to spend the money. Someone who allows a PC to get into this state isn't terribly computer literate and doesn't fully understand that there's nothing physically wrong with it. He'd rather spend the money on a replacement. At a guess, the PC is two to three years old so it should have some life in it yet. As far as I know, the only problem with using the existing HD is that a gigabyte or so of it is permanently inaccessible.
3. in any case, installing xp-home using a reviously unused license
should be ok. upgrade-cd will look for previous copy of a
windows os on the hd.

Unfortunately I don't have such a thing although there is a proper MS product key on a label on the PC. I'm hoping that it'll be possible to use this with another OEM copy.
4. a google search should reveal current situation regarding xp-sp2 product
activation. for xp-sp1, the activation issues are well explained at
aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

Thanks, that's a useful link.
5. the legit method is likely to involve a new hd
plus an unused original of xp.

Yes, but aside from the cost, I find the idea objectionable when a copy of Windows has already been paid for. I've no reason to suspect that the HD can't be formatted like any other, it's just that the firmware will prevent access to the hidden partiton, making it permanently wasted space. That's no worse than the position that any buyer of a PC from this particular manufacturer would be in.

Thanks for the pointers. To be honest, if the PC had been mine, I'd have reinstalled Windows in a fraction of the time I've spent so far.
welliesorter -
i fully understand the situation re. helping pc-illiterate people. i have been there myself. recent example was a science graduate who had not installed any firewalls thinking that his anti-virus on its own was sufficient, until he got stung by a rogue-dialler.

as for your last para., ".>> I find the idea objectionable when a copy of Windows has already been paid for >> "
well, that is another debate altogether which i (as well as this forum, i suspect )could not afford the legal fees to fight.

any way - good luck.

Reinstalling Pre-Installed XP - Altea Ego
Just a quick (maybe pedantic but its not really) reminder.

You never own software. Its not yours ever. You pay for the right to use it. Its very difficult to return it as well if it dont work.

Software is probably unique in most things you "buy" in that your rights are severely limited. A matter that should be rectified
Reinstalling Pre-Installed XP - Ex-Moderator
You have a legitmate XP Key. You can use any copy of the software you wish, from any source you wish, but type in the legitimate product key.

It'll work and it is a legitimate approach.
Reinstalling Pre-Installed XP - Stuartli
Welliesorter

You are thinking of a "slipstreamed" XP + SP2 installation.

Details at (anmong many others):

www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

Re XP - Microsoft's intention is that it is installed on one system only (unless it is the Corporate licensed version).

More details on activation at:

www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_how.mspx
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
You have a legitmate XP Key. You can use any copy
of the software you wish, from any source you wish, but
type in the legitimate product key.

stand to be corrected, of course, but -

i thought welliesorter was asking if he could install xp-home (could be a copy from any disk from any source - does not matter) and then use a key that he has previously already used on another (his own) machine.

in which case, in my simple mind, i would think microsoft would not be wrong to dispute any claim that it was legitimate.

but then, i am not a cio and ianal - iamnotalawyer.

Reinstalling Pre-Installed XP - Ex-Moderator
i thought welliesorter was asking if he could install xp-home (could
be a copy from any disk from any source - does
not matter) and then use a key that he has previously
already used on another (his own) machine.

One of us has misunderstood.

If, as you say, he will reuse his own key which is already in use then that would not be acceptable or legal.

If, as I thought, he was intending to use the product key already owned by the computer he is trying to fix (i.e. that is the *ONLY* place that key is used) then that would be legitimate wherever the software itself came from.

One of us has misunderstood.

>>

it is me. mea culpa. i was wrong. must read more carefully.

i have re-read his comments and you are right.
" there is a proper MS product key on a label on the PC. I'm hoping that it'll be possible to use this with another OEM copy"

so he his perfectly entitled to re-install from any copy and use the original key as labelled on the friend's pc.

I think he's using the lisence key on the side of the PC he's trying to fix. Otherwise, no, Microsoft will not like it, though the only thing they really do is stop downloadable updates, they'd never waste their breath going after an individual for copyright theft.
validity of licenses - the answer was there in fact on the link i quoted in my first reply to welliesorter.

aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

".... The license for a retail version of Windows XP is in perpetuity. You get to use Windows XP forever, if you choose.

But Microsoft recognises that machines do get upgraded. If, following the activation after setup, you do not need to contact the activation center for 120 days (any changes you make during this time being seen as acceptable when the system boots), then the sheet is swept clean and you can start again using the current hardware as the new baseline to make more changes.

If you get a new computer, you are entitled to remove Windows XP from the one that is being junked, and install the same Windows XP on the new machine ? but you will have to do the reactivation by a voice call and explain (unless, as was just mentioned, 120 days have passed since the activation was last performed).

Microsoft has said that if it ever becomes not worthwhile for them to keep this activation system going, they will take steps to allow users to disable it.

Restrictions of specific license types may limit the foregoing. OEM versions of Windows XP are licensed together with the hardware with which they are purchased, as an entity, and such a copy may not be moved to a different computer. Other specific license types (e.g., Academic licenses) are handled in different ways. This isn?t a WPA issue per se, but rather an issue of the license for that purchase, and therefore outside the scope of this discussion of WPA. ....

You have a legitmate XP Key. You can use any copy
of the software you wish, from any source you wish, but
type in the legitimate product key.

Thanks for that, and you (and the others) are correct in stating that the PC's owner has a legit copy of XP. The problem stems from the manufacturer's refusal to provide any form of back-up, except one that needs a recovery CD to access.

The CD contains no Windows files, it just unlocks the firmware of the customised hard drive. It isn't provided as standard but as a £60 optional extra. Needless to say, I won't be buying from this manufacturer myself.

If I've read Mark's comments correctly, I should just be able to install another copy of XP Home and it'll work with the licence key on the PC. Are individual copies of XP really as interchangeable as that? Presumably an XP Home licence won't work with XP Professional and a key from an OEM version won't work with a retail or upgrade version. Am I right, and are there any pitfalls that I haven't spotted.

Thanks again.
Reinstalling Pre-Installed XP - smokie
Yes, all XP Home CDs of the same version are the same. You can use any one of them to install your PC, but the product code needs to be either unused or previously only used on the same machine (although it will cope with minor hardware changes e.g disk upgrade).

However you can't use an XP Home product key with an XP Professional disk.

I haven't read this in detail, but hidden partitions on discs are usually because they have been made as such, not because of any firmware setting. So nothing a quick FDISK won't clear. One exception I can think of is some older Quantum drives which were supplied in non-PC hardware - if you removed the drive and stuck it in a PC then it only recognised the first 9Gb. If it's one of those, there is a programme called QUNLOCK which cures it. And if it is not, but it is a firmware problem, then there is probably an equivalent programme to unlock it.
Onspeed - incease your acceess speed - Mapmaker
Onspeed.com - advertised inter alia in today's Telegraph. For #25 per annum, you get a 5x increase in your download rate. This was discussed 12 months ago at:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18962&...f

Now, it just seems too good to be true - if it really were as good as that they would charge almost as much for it is charged for broadband ... not 10%.

But it has been around for 12 months (see earlier posting) so there must be something to it otherwise advertising standards would be on to them...
Onspeed - incease your acceess speed - frostbite
I have been using it for about a month and can testify that it certainly speeds up most websites (it 'steps aside' when on secure https sites). Typical speed increase varies by a factor of 4-10 times in my experience.

Only drawback I have found has been some rare occasions when the connection has failed - usually briefly - and the software warns you and disables itself.

For a couple of pounds a month, I think it's worth it (so far) and it's stopped my planned move to broadband because I mostly can't see much difference between my friends bb speed and my own.

Have a link:- www.onspeed.com/en/?MgM=aehcijbdfb
Hmmm. Thanks for your link, Frostie, upon which I have now clicked.

So, if I sign up now, you'll get $12 through their affiliate scheme (see, DD, there is some use to this keyboard....!). Fair enough, I don't begrudge it you at all. But that's a heck of a lot of money for them to give you out of my $48 per annum. Not to attempt to blacken your character, but if you're going to get $12 if I sign up, you are going to be nice about it!

Tell me, have you had any money back from them?

It just seems to be too good to be true! And when things seem that way, they usually are...

OK. Some reviews.

www.maxpc.co.uk/reviews/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&a...7

www.solutionsreview.com/ONSPEED_faster_internet.asp

www.webuser.co.uk/products/OnSpeed_review_1833-216...l

Now, if I had invented a brand new data compression system that nobody else seems to be marketing, I wouldn't try to market it myself. I would go to AOL & try to sell them exclusive rights to it. I am astonished that none of the big boys has tried to buy them out. That's why I just feel it sounds a bit fishy.

Anyway, apparently you can get a 7 day free trial of it here. www.download.com/Onspeed/3000-2155_4-10293068.html...1

Intriguingly, on this page, only three in five users expressing an opinion thought it was a good thing.

Enough from me!
Onspeed - incease your acceess speed - frostbite
Actually, there's an option to get £5 or two month's free extension to your sub. and I've chosen the latter. If you had a choice between posting that link or a bog standard one, which would you choose?

I do use Firefox, one of the many supported browsers, and find the combination very impressive - never used it with IE yet.
Onspeed - incease your acceess speed - Dynamic Dave
Can't answer your question mappy, but try changing the language settings for your keybaord to enable you to use the ££££££ symbol.
>>but try changing your keybaord

Perhaps DD should try changing the spelling settings on his biological hard drive... ;o

Seriously (for a moment, even if it is 'Friday'), I have tried to do this, but it asks me to load the relevant Windows 98 disc. As I haven't gotten (sic) a copy of this, I cannot... Can I?
Onspeed - incease your acceess speed - Stuartli
ONSpeed costs £25 a year, yet you can do just as well for nothing by either (if you have Internet Explorer) following this tip:

www.the-scream.co.uk/html/resources/ie_reg_tweak.h...l

or switching to Mozilla Firefox 1.0 which is not only faster than IE but also far, far more secure and without the constant requirement for security updates; same for the e-mail client, Thunderbird 1.0.
Onspeed - incease your acceess speed - Stuartli
PS

This well known tip (I've used The Scream link for convenience) has been recommended by me for some years and also works with broadband according to feedback I've received.

I've had many a message of thanks and the occasional "It didn't work for me."

You'll just have to suck it and see...:-)
Thumnail view - web content...blah blah - Adam {P}
Yet again, I need some help from the BR.

After trying to copy a lot of stuff (75gig) from one drive to another, I stumbled across a problem whereby the "thumbs.db" file (created by Windows I understand for thumbnail views) was "In Use" and so wouldn't allow me to access thus preventing me from copying the stuff.

So, I deleted all the thumbs.db files, disabled thumbnail views, disable web content (in the Folder Settings/View Tab) and it let me do it.

However, now I can't get the blasted view back. I suppose I could live without it but I want to at least try and fix it. I've tried everything and have stopped short of tinkering with the registry but one interesting thing is, in the view tab on Folder Options, the "enable web content" is greyed out so I'm only left with "enable Windows classic view".

Thanks guys for any help,
--
Adam
Thumnail view - web content...blah blah - Stuartli
This is the Microsoft support article on missing thumbs.db files:

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;2...7
Also see Section 3 of this link:

www.winxpnews.com/index.cfm?id=156
Stuart,

you are a gentleman sir. It seems to be working now.

Many thanks, (I owe you a pint)

--
Adam
Pleased you're sorted..:-)

But only a pint???

tinyurl.com/4gh2z
Thumnail view - web content...blah blah - mfarrow
IMHO trying to copy a lot of files using Windows Explorer is a pain the back site. One little error and it halts the entire operation. Particularly true if you're trying to copy the entire contents of "Documents and Settings", for instance.

That's why I use the Extended Copy Utility from the command prompt. Use XCOPY source [destination] /c and it'll ignore the files it can't copy, rather than fall over. Oh, and don't forget the /s switch if you're copying directory structures and their files also. For more switches, type xcopy /?.

Hope this helps.
Thumnail view - web content...blah blah - Altea Ego
Thats by running cmd.exe. On XP start/run - enter cmd.exe in the run box. For those of you who dont have history in dos cmd prompts!
Thanks mfarrow. Yes that's the problem I had whereby the error with thumbs.db cancelled the entire thing. When copying 75 gb, it's not pleasant. I should have perhaps said that I maanged to copy it all but I have to copy 40 gig today so I'll be trying that Xcopy.

You learn something new everyday.

Many thanks
--
Adam
XP? Booo hisss. 2000 all the way!
--
Adam
Thumnail view - web content...blah blah - Altea Ego
For one so young you are such a dinasour.....
What's a dinasaur?

But if you really want one.....:

tinyurl.com/ywhzl
Computer related questions. Volume 39 - Adam {P}
Right. From now on, I'm going to shut up. I say how comfy my car seats are and then rip them, then I sing the praises of Windows 2000 and have to reformat. Yes. Not long after my last post (about 20 minutes) I suffered a cataclysmic error of some kind, in fact, the precise wording of the dialog box was:

"Catastrophic Error. Sorry"

God knows what caused it but the long and short of it is, I've reformatted so at least I'm running nice and quick again. However, I installed Firefox and whenever I view a topic and then come back into the site, it still says "New" despite me having read it. A minor fault I know but annoying at the same time. Firefox is set to allow cookies so any ideas guys?

Thanks....again.

By the way, the error may have been down to me.....experimenting shall we say...with the..um....ahem....registry.
--
Adam
I am a fool - Adam {P}
Well I'll be. First I remember to reply to the first message but forget the title, then, the.....flaming thing works. Don't know how or why but the New tags are disappearing when read.

Sorry,
--
Adam
You are a fool - frostbite
Put your heels on and have a mince around - it'll make you feel better.
Hilarious - Adam {P}
Well I did try frostbite but it's too light to do so without getting funny looks.
--
Adam
pc memory question - Civic8
I have a Fujitsu-Siemens pc. Only 18 months old. I lost the manual for it and recall. the mainboard was backwards compatible for pc133 memory..What I would like to know is.. I already have 128meg of memory 266 mhz.can I add 512meg 133mhz memory to this--As my last pc blew up.but memory was ok after testing on another machine.

TIA
--
Steve
pc memory question - Adam {P}
Steve,

Don't quote me but I'm almost sure that the 128meg will run at 133mhz as I'm pretty certain that the ram will run at the lowest speed of any RAM that's in there....

....I think.
--
Adam
pc memory question - frostbite
I think the mix will slow down to the slowest component part IIRC.

Someone will be along in a minute.......
pc memory question - Adam {P}
THAT'S how I was trying to say it!!

Cheers frostbite!
--
Adam
Actually, your post hadn't appeared when I started typing (bit old and creaky, you see).

Despite that, we appear to have the same opinion.
Much the same as a hard drive I presume?
--
Steve
pc memory question - mfarrow
As has been mentioned before, yes, the PC will be slowed by the older memory.

I'm surprised though that an 18 month old PC still has plain DIMM slots (168 pin) in it that takes the PC133 memory. Most motherboards from about two years ago onward only cater for the 266MHz DDR memory (184 pins).
Thinking about it some more, it would be interesting to hear if you could spot the difference with the slower memory installed.

I know it can be near impossible to spot the effect of a faster cpu unless it's faster by quite a lot.
pc memory question - Altea Ego
1/ Agree all memory will slow to the lowest speed one.
2/ Agree that memory speed changes are the least noticeble affect on pc performance.

The most noticeable improvement you can make is amount of memory. more = seems faster
pc memory question - smokie
All what RF and predecessors said ...

and XP will run happier in 512mb of memory than it does in 128.

Speed of memory is pretty marginal unless you are playing leading edge games or similar. Won't even make much difference (on it's own) if you are doing heavy duty video editing etc.

Thanks for replies. I think I will wait untill I fit a DVD recorder then fit the RAM..
--
Steve
pc memory question - Stuartli
>>and XP will run happier in 512mb of memory than it does in 128.>>

Microsoft's minimum specification level for RAM using XP is 256MB.
Pop Ups - BobbyG
*THIS IS NOT A POP UP BASHING THREAD. I KNOW WHY WE MUST HAVE THEM*

When I am on HJ website, I constantly get the Norwich Union and Nissan pop ups. My question is, is there a maximum number you can have befoe it affects your computer?

I seem to end up with a whole row of little "e"s along my toolbar but, occasionally I then get the Microsoft Explorer window telling me it has encountered a problem and is having to shut down Explorer. Is this because there are so many pop ups? I run Windows98.
Pop Ups - Baskerville
Is this because there are so
many pop ups? I run Windows98.

Possibly. Try using Firefox or Opera instead (psst: they block popups):

www.mozilla.org

www.opera.com