Computer related questions. Volume 40 - Dynamic Dave

******** This thread now closed. Please see Volume 41********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=28917

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 40. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

A favour for a friend - frostbite
My mate has asked me to try and sort out his staggeringly slow Dell, running XP, and install SP2 whilst I'm at it (my stupid suggestion).

Having just glanced in the box, I find it has just 128mb/266mhz memory and that might also be shared with the graphics! There is no AGP slot, just a green one with a half card leading to video out.

Before I touch it, I'm planning to get at least an additional 256mb memory, then look for nasties - he has a broadband connection and his son appears to have removed the Zone Alarm I put on it months ago.

Any thoughts on further action?

Just to add....

The memory is 128mb/266mhz/DDR/CL2.5

Do I need to know any more than that, and what is CL?
A favour for a friend - Welliesorter
You do need more than 128MB for XP. It runs fine with 384 on my four-year old Dell but you may as well go for more if it doesn't cost a lot extra.

I'm no expert on PC memory, but whenever I've needed any I've always bought it from www.crucial.com/uk/ . The advantage of using this company is that you can enter the exact model of PC or motherboard on their site and it'll tell you what you need. This will be a very straightforward matter with a Dell.

One other Dell tip is to go to their web site with the PC's service tag. It'll give you a lot of information about the system, complete with manuals and other downloads.
A favour for a friend - smokie
..and the advantage of the Dell support website is that you can download the drivers for your specific Dell machine, which should be optimised, whereas "standard" Windows drivers, will make things work, but not necessarily in the best way.

What's it slow doing? Booting up, loading apps, running high power games, browsing? AGP graphics is desirable but not essential unless you are running graphics intensive apps. Dell machines often have an onboard 64mb graphics chip (I think) so are not such a bad spec for everyday use.

The problem, if there is a junior about, is more likely to be things have been installed or doenloaded either wittingly (???) or unwittingly which are stretching system capacity. If it's XP a good place to start is look at processes (in Ctrl/Alt/Delete) and sort by CPU usage. Then have a look at performance. Also disk usage - a few hundred MP3s and videos can soon fill a small disk, resulting in pagefile problems.

Good Luck.
A favour for a friend - Altea Ego
CL is a term to describe its maximum rated speed (including latency, refesh rate etc.)

Dell use micron memory (crucial) mostly, but to buy it from Dell is expensive. Go here for the memory type you need:

www.crucial.com/uk/index.asp

and buy it at dabs or elsewhere.
Thanks for the answers chaps. Actually not got me too far yet - it's an amazing piece of kit with no model no./name on it other than 'DHM' and several different on the mobo, any of which might be the board number.

The Dell website tells me I don't have cookies enabled (I do, in Firefox, so it's probably demanding IE). It won't let me go any further.

The crucial site offered me a list of Dell kit, but since I can't find any of them on the puter, I'm a bit stuck.

Only thing that has occurred to me, looking at the contents of SP2, is, does he need it if ZA is running?
A favour for a friend - JohnPug
If you want to find the exact specs of the PC download a copy of Sisoft Sandra 2004. It will tell you what type of ram is installed and if you can add any more.

On the issue of SP2. Despite what M$ say, it's still full of security holes and although the firewall in SP2 is better than SP1, a well configured free firewall such as Zonealarm or Sygate is much more reliable.
Thanks for the answers chaps. Actually not got me too far
yet - it's an amazing piece of kit with no model
no./name on it other than 'DHM' and several different on the
mobo, any of which might be the board number.

You shouldn't need to poke about inside to find the info you need to identify the PC. The Dell service tag is just a short sequence of letters and digits. On all the Dells I've ever seen it's been on a label on the outside. On mine it consists of five characters and is on a bar coded label on the back of the PC case.

There's no point in trying to identify the motherboard. Sorry if I implied that you needed to do that in my earlier post: you just need the model of PC. I'm surprised that there's nothing on the outside identify it.

Dell use their own customised versions of (I think) Intel boards. I believe this means that Dell boards don't fit generic PC cases and vice versa.

To buy the correct memory from a company like Crucial you should just need the PC model name and I think you'll get that if you enter the service tag on the Dell site. See support.euro.dell.com/ .
It's turning into a nightmare that's only just begun.

Against my better judgement, I fired it up. The desktop came up pretty fast, then a load of grey boxes that kept re-opening, particularly some Yahoo netmeeting nonsense. Fool thing can't even detect it's not online.

I installed the Belarc utility to provide a system report and all it told me was the ram size and model DHPTM.

Thing was, this tiny util took about 8-10 mins to look around and report, and when I tried another fairly small app I got:-

"Not enough quota is available to process this" !!

Why can't they say memory?

It seemed to be getting slower, so I decided to jack it in until I can get that memory, went through the farcical closedown procedure in XP - are you sure? - try another option - which was still running 8 mins later so I turned it off at the switch.

Expect I shall be punished for that at next powerup.

A favour for a friend - adverse camber
I would say slap Antivirus, spybot etc on it before doing anything else - it will take all weekend anyway at that rate.

PCW or PC Pro gave away F-Secure Antivirus with 6 months free updates on the last copy. Have a look in the newsagent.
sounds like too many things being loaded at start up.
check how much free space you have on the hard drive, sounds like it may not have enough to swap out memory
check how much free space you have on the hard drive,
sounds like it may not have enough to swap out memory

Almost the first thing I did 32/40 gigs free.
sounds like too many things being loaded at start up.

>>

That's what I wondered but a C-A-D only showed the MS Office toolbar and the taskbar only had a tool watching for a usb memory stick.

Nothing in the startup folder, but I didn't try MSCONFIG this time because my eyes were beginning to glaze over and it probably wouldn't have run anayway.
A favour for a friend - Ex-Moderator
You need to come up in safe mode and start disabling everything you can find....
A favour for a friend - Ex-Moderator
Or get into task manager and cancel stuff as you see it start.
Yep, agree with Mark, try Safe Mode. Then try running something like word, or your app, in Safe Mode. If it makes all the difference then you know that it's something that's being loaded at Normal startup that's causing it.

You can check msconfig for oddities. Also, assuming it's a legit XP, get the MS spyware checker - it may not be the best, but I like it and it's free!

Another little tip - look in c:\windows and c:\windows\system and sort the files by date/time. Sometimes you will see hudreds (I once saw thousands) of v small files all with virtually the same creation time/date. That was a trojan.

One last thought - check how the display os set up - sometimes using 32 million colours on an underpowered graphics card will cause excessive slowness in some applications. Or, to put it another way, reducing the number of colours in use often speeds up a system...
A favour for a friend - Stuartli
Buy your memory from Crucial - it's top quality memory, the company has a staggering high level of customer service and attention and will provide you with the exact memory you require from the details of your system.

Re the Microsoft AV - it's free now (still in beta form), but it won't be in six months...

Use AVG7 (the free version) instead from www.grisoft.com; install, update immediately for the latest virus definitions and check regularly for updates. It also checks both incoming and outgoing e-mails for viruses etc.

Adware can be blocked/eliminated with Ad-Aware SE Personal from www.lavasoft.com and Search and Destroy 1.3 from www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html (both work well in conjunction with each other). Again update regularly.

Finally, SpywareBlaster works in the background to block adware and malware:

www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Needs updating much less often but stops much of the stuff from getting on the system in the first place.

Or switch to Mozilla Thunderbird (e-mails) and Firefox 1.0 (browser) - vastly more secure than IE and OE, updates very rare and download much quicker. Utilities such as Ad-Aware and S and D become virtually redundant as a result...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
A favour for a friend - Badger
I hope this does not fall under the 'name and shame' embargo - I believe this to be germane to the postings and the pertinent fact can readily be verified, in the public domain, from the Lavasoft website -- I invite thse interested to look there.

A warning for anyone considering buying Ad-Aware Professional, as I did. It did not work, and I soon discovered that this is because it will only work with Internet Explorer, and I use Firefox. There is no warning to this effect on the Lavasoft website and, more specifically, Internet Explorer is not listed as a system requirement.

When I first encountered the problem, Lavasoft confirmed that IE is a system requirement. I then pointed out that they appear to be in breach of current European consumer legislation and asked for a refund. I got no reply, and have met only silence ever since.

Simply refusing to reply to an email on the subject is a shabby tactic.

... it will only work with Internet Explorer, and I
use Firefox.

Which version of Windows do you have? It's virtually impossible to remove IE in any recent version, even if you use another browser.
I have WinXp SP2, but haven't removed IE. It's simply redundant, but if nothing else you still come across the odd site that will only work on IE. Nothing would please me more than to get rid of the wretched thing entirely. However, I'm not seeking to turn this into an IE versus Mozilla topic. My point is that buyers of Ad-Aware Professional need to be aware of its limitations and I'm quite hoppy if the mods want to leave the plain warning, but remove my adverse comments about Lavasoft.
My point is that buyers of Ad-Aware
Professional need to be aware of its limitations...

You said that IE is a system requirement and you you obviously have it so what's the problem?

Do you just mean that AdAware only checks IE cookies? If so, that's not the end of the world as Firefox has some pretty good cookie handling facilities of its own. You can set it permanently to reject cookies from certain sites. The safest option is obviously to get it to reject cookies from all but a favoured few sites including (obviously) this one.

Firefox is inherently more secure than IE so there's less need for spyware killers if you use it.
"I then pointed out that they appear to be in breach of current European consumer legislation and asked for a refund. I got no reply, and have met only silence ever since."

Now how do you work that one out?

It states IE is a system requirement, - you had it, it installed, and works on IE.
Did it state anywhere "works with Firefox"? NO? so what are they in breach of?

It states IE is a system requirement, - you had it,
it installed, and works on IE.
Did it state anywhere "works with Firefox"? NO? so what are
they in breach of?

I'm still not quite clear what the problem is, unless it's the cookie checking issue I mentioned in my other post. I'm a satisfied user of both AdAware (free version) and Firefox. They coexist quite happily.
This is Ad-Aware *Professional*, not the freeware (with which I have had no problem). The extra functions for which you pay (and for which you are invited to udgrade) are compatible only with IE but you find thi the hard way. This was their reply (in the context of the professional version, not the freeware):

Dear Customer,
We´re sorry to inform you that AdAware at the present time is only compatible with Internet Explorer.
Regards,

Andreas
Lavasoft Support
Thanks, but I'm aware of that. Ad-Aware Professional(it is claimed) is about much more than cookies, which is why I upgraded from the freeware version (or tried to).
The above was meant to be a response to the kind contribution by Welliesorter above.
As someone who's done most of this stuff in the past few days, again as a favour, I can tell you it's a lot quicker to install everything from scratch.

If you do, remember to apply SP2 and all the security stuff before connecting the PC to the net: use your own PC to download everything. An article explaining why is at www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/19/infected_in20_min.../ .

At least Dell provide something resembling a proper Windows CD so the task shouldn't be too hard. It's less time-consuming than trying to diagnose any problems.

If it turns out that the PC has a hardware fault, remember that most Dells have a three year warranty.
Many thanks for all your replies - some very useful suggestions and information in there.

I'm more or less going to let it stew for a few days while I get hold of some more RAM for it - it's going to be all uphill until I can sort out what is causing problems AFTER the upgrade.

to be continued.......
to be continued.......

Well, I have added 256mB RAM, which should be enough for his use and started installing various odds & ends - Adaware found 32 real nasties and a lot of dodgy ones besides.

Two further questions for now - does XP not have Scandisk? Can't even find it doing a scan*.* filesearch.

Also, does anyone know of a vrus/etc that actually eats ZoneAlarm? I thought his son might have deleted it, but the folder is still there, together with some mangled remains.
Scandisk is the same as Checkdisk isn't it? It's in Properties/Tools when you right click on the required disk in My Computer. (Called error checking).

I'm sure I've seen it manually invoked at start up (i.e. in DOS mode) and I've certainly seen it (with a light blue screen) invoked automatically at start up but I'm not sure how to make the former work.

Some virii will have a go at disabling virus checkers and firewalls but I've never seen the result - I suspect they will kill the scanning processes rather than mangle the files. Could be an indication of a disk problem (or at least, a busted table of contents/FAT/whatever)
Thanks for that smokie, I'll have a look as soon as I can solve the big problem I have come up against.

The computer is normally on broadband but I had to install a 56k dialup modem to use it here. It's showing as working OK but when I click on the connect button all that happens is the data LED flashes briefly - it doesn't dial and the 'off hook' remains unlit!

Sound familiar, anyone?
Put a socket doubler on the modem wall socket and plug a phone in alongside the modem. Listen on the phone to see if it makes any attempt to dial (or even to check there is a dial tone!).

Maybe the COM port is stuffed.
A favour for a friend - Civic8
If on broadband.if the modem wont connect it usualy comes up with an error code. its usualy either software not installed correctly or drivers..broadband is always on it has no need to dial out.only connect to server
--
Steve
I had to use a phone extension lead for this caper, so checked it with a phone, just in case.

What is likely to be the problem, still unsolved, is that the computer boots with the two little arrow logo on the taskbar - suggesting it is automatically firing up into bb mode and, although the dialup modem is selected, something is stopping it functioning correctly.

I am loathe to uninstall the bb modem and setup, but there is no sign in msconfig, startup, or anywhere else I can find that is auto-running bb.

It's most frustrating because this would be the last stage in restoring it to full health via some internet-based checks.
I think the bb thing is a bit of a red herring. There is nothing stopping you (usually) from using a dial up connection while also connected to bb at the same time.

However you may need to tell your product (IE) which connection to use (Internet Options//Connections), or set the dial up as the default, in case it thinks it has a bb connection. I'm sure you've already tried this.

One thing you could look at is the IP config. Open a CMD window and type IPCONFIG then press enter. It will list your adapters and their IP address etc. It might have an address in the subnet of the bb provider, and be holding and trying to use that because it thinks it's connected. If so, release that address (type IPCONFIG /release). That wouldn't stop the modem getting it's own address, but conceivably it could stop it trying to connect over the modem (or, at least, making it use the bb in preference).

Can you tell I'm guessing? :-)
DVD +, - or + = - Pugugly {P}

Anyone explain this to me ?

My computer uses "DVD -" to copy. My newly acquired DVD Recorder (Lite-On) will record whatever format I choose. Recorded some long stored stuff onto a "+ R" Disc today. This plays happily on my computer.

Oh and my work laptop records in both formats......

Comfused.

Question comes with an implied please and thank-you !
DVD +, - or + = - Altea Ego
Computers (if the drive says it will) happily cope with DVD+R, +RW and DVD-R, -RW. Use any that takes your fancy, no real advantage to either

except

If you want it transportable between devices and places.

For example early domestic DVD players will only be happy with DVD +R

So if in doubt dont use RW media, and burn +R

DVD +, - or + = - Badger
I think you'll find that your Lite-On recorder 'finalises' the DVD into something that can be played on other machines.

There is a myth that the distinctions between DVD- and DVD+ have recreated the bad old days of VHS and Betamax with tapes, but in fact disks recorded on either can be played on probably 90% of players.

Thanks - All clear now. That Lite-on is a pretty trick bit of kit.
Then I have 1 of the 10% domestic DVD players that wont read a DVD recorded -R
DVD +, - or + = - Welliesorter
I'm not an expert on DVD formats but I have noticed that some Lite-On models claim to be able record on almost anything, even ordinary CDRs and CDRWs (to produce a video CD).

I'm quite tempted to get one as the prices of these have dropped dramatically in the past year. Is the machine any good?
The 16x BenQ is quite good value too.
I paid £139.00 from Argos Direct. My BiL had painstakingly researched the market before Christmas. I took advantage of his advice as this being the best valuue. It has a graphic driven menu which makes it (almost) foolproof. I didn't need to read the instructions ! Plenty of web support including dowloadable firmware. It does what it says on the box.

DVD +, - or + = - Badger
Lite-On is a reputable brand. I cannot speak for this machine, but they have been producing computer disk drives for some time. My Lite-On external CD R/W drive for laptop has performed perfectly well for a couple of years now.
You paid £139 quid for what?
The Lite On Recorder.
DVD +, - or + = - frostbite
Is it internal or external?
DVD +, - or + = - Welliesorter
Is it internal or external?

It's a stand-alone domestic DVD recorder.

www.liteonit.com/DC/english/lvw_5001.htm
External connects to telly via RGB leads, Scarts or RF.
Ah! spot of misconception going on on my part!
DVD +, - or + = - Badger
I think this is Lite-On's first venture into the domestic video market after specialising in computer drives. I've had my eye on it for some time, for a neighbour.
Home Page - budu
I have just installed SP1 (Windows 98, new on me) and Internet Explorer 6. On my home page there is now a new and unwelcome "Find a Web Page" facility. I don't need this and it takes up at least 1" of valuable screen space on the lefthand side. How can I get rid of it please?
Home Page - frostbite
Isn't SP1 for Windoze XP?

Anyway, dump IE6 and get Firefox - it's much faster and a hell of a lot more secure.
Home Page - mfarrow
I presume you're talking about the search bar. So try one of the following:

- click on the little x in the top right of the feature.
- click on the Search button (magnifying glass) on the toolbar.
- on the menu bar, goto View, then Tools, then Address_bar. Or Alt, v, t, then a.

If it's now gone, close IE, and reopen. It shouldn't appear any more.
Home Page - budu
This worked. Many thanks.
Microsoft AntiSpyware package - Badger
Following their take-over of the Romanian anti-virus software company GeCad, Microsoft has been setting about quietly producing its own anti-virus and spyware applications. Now, and without any of the usual razmatazz, they have released the Microsoft AntiSpyware package in beta version and at last they seem to have got something right.

I have just run it. It found *Incredifind* -- a particularly nasty piece of malware -- that Spybot had missedand even gave me the source. It seems much more powerful than Spybot or Ad-aware, with claimed real-time protection for example and some advanced options.

The beta version is available for free download from the Microshaft site at tinyurl.com/3vwob Don't bother going through the validation process. I have a perfectly legitimate copy of WIndows XP on my machine yet got rejected. Validation is a recommendation, not a requirement, and you can opt to download without validating.

Don't run it from the Desktop icon. Right-click on the icon in the Sytem tray and select *Open Microsoft AntiSpyware* to set up your preferences. Then do a scan. It may surprise you, as it did me.

p.s. if you go onto www.microsoft.com/downloads then it's the first item under *Popular Downloads*
Microsoft AntiSpyware package - Stuartli
>>Then do a scan. It may surprise you, as it did me.>>

So will the fact that later this year Microsoft will commence charging for the utility.
Microsoft AntiSpyware package - Ex-Moderator
But they're not charging now. And they will charge in the future when they are suer of the product.

Doesn't seem desperately unreasonable. If you don't want to pay, stop using it.
Microsoft AntiSpyware package - Altea Ego
And given that Microsoft get dragged thro the courts every time they "bundle" something into Windows, expect to see more of windows components or add ons being chargeable.

Also bear in mind this is BETA software, its result may be wrong, unpredictable, or cause you problems for which you will get little support.
Microsoft AntiSpyware package - Badger
Also bear in mind this is BETA software, its result may be wrong, unpredictable, or cause you problems

True, RF, and I offer it only for what it's worth. My position is that it's been on beta for some time and I've seen no snags reported. However, as you rightly suggest, yer gets what yer doesn't pay for.
Microsoft AntiSpyware package - Dalglish
>>Then do a scan. It may surprise you, as it did
me.>>
So will the fact that later this year Microsoft will commence
charging for the utility.

don't worry, it won't pass you by.

nudge, nudge, wink, wink, - my spies tell me:

microsoft have no intention of charging.
they will charge only if forced to do so by the european union and by the firefox or mozilla community.

ms will bundle it free just like they do ie, oe, wordpad, calculator, messenger, media player, etc. etc..
the reason they want to give it away free is because they want to defend the atack against the holes in ie, and stop the masses defecting to firefox. it is not in microsoft's interest to charge for this product.

when concerted email virus attacks began last year, ms gave a one years free antivirus subscription to those who clicked on a certain link. they were forced to stop this only by the anticompetetion shouts by mcafee and norton. as for antispyware, because most people already use free software, there will be less anticompetetion issues raised by existing large commercial vendors.

>>nudge, nudge, wink, wink, - my spies tell me:>>

Perhaps you had better read these extracts:

"Pros: Builds on a solid foundation established by GIANT; highly effective, real-time malware detection and prevention capabilities; straightforward, easy to use interface; automatic updates

"Cons: Only works on Windows XP/2003/2000 platforms; we're still in beta here, folks, and Microsoft's long-term commitment to the spyware problem remains to be seen; likewise, cost of the final product is still in question" (source cws.internet.com/article/2714-3968.htm)

Various forums mention June or July for launch of full version but price wasn't known at time of posting.

As a point of interest, MS is now charging for this service:

www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/20/ms_subscription/
Microsoft AntiSpyware package - Dalglish
in reply to stuartli's comments/questions:
here, folks, and Microsoft's long-term commitment to the spyware problem remains
to be seen; likewise, cost of the final product is still
in question"

that means the charge to the consumer may be zero.
and that is quite different to your claim that it is a "fact" that microsoft will charge.
Various forums mention June or July for launch of full version
but price wasn't known at time of posting.

that is because the beta ends in july, and microsoft do not know whether they will be forced to charge for this product by the anti-ms brigade.
As a point of interest, MS is now charging for this
service:

yes, i had already read that news before. it is totally irrelevant to this situation though.

as for points made by others about the problems or "holes" in the product, well it is microsoft's aim to launch the next version of windows with these inherent problems eradicated. but, as we all know, if you want a system for the naive masses to use, it cannot be made totally perfect. the techies and anyone else who does not like windows are free to use the alternative. no one is enslaved to use ms products. if you hate them enough, you will find a way round them.

but as this is a questions thread, i will refrain from contributing further to this debate - before the mods step in.

Microsoft AntiSpyware package - Baskerville
> it is not in microsoft's interest to charge for this product.

However it is in all of our interests, Microsoft junkies or not, for them not to be allowed to kill off the competition with their monopoly position. Do you think the Microsoft anti-spyware product will improve when it has no competitors? IE certainly didn't.

And it's a huge admission of failure on their part that they need this kind of nonsensical product in their line-up anyway. It would surely be better to fix the holes {ahem} features in the OS that let this stuff through in the first place, wouldn't it?
Microsoft AntiSpyware package - smokie
"And it's a huge admission of failure on their part that they need this kind of nonsensical product in their line-up anyway. It would surely be better to fix the holes {ahem} features in the OS that let this stuff through in the first place, wouldn't it?"

Most of this stuff is not exploiting any holes in software, it's exploiting the naivety of end users. It's a completely different delivery mechanism to viruses, although sometimes the end result can be the same. Usually users are knowingly installing software or visiting web sites which turn out to have a hidden payload.

Usually users are knowingly installing software or visiting web
sites which turn out to have a hidden payload.

I am quite confident that I can visit any site you like and my browser will not install software without me knowing about it; the most it can do is ask if I want to download something. So the idea that this is the user's fault is nonsense--clicking on an executable in an email, or downloading a trojan with other software are different. My web browser certainly cannot install and run software with administrator privileges; it doesn't have administrator privileges for one thing. IE on Windows usually does and can, and that's why you need this antispyware stuff.
Thanks for agreeing - I DID say naivety of users...

Many users will accept, or be tricked into accepting, a pop up offering them some software (albeit maybe disguised as something else)...or download Kazaa...or will perform any number of other actions which would result in a spyware or adware product being installed. There is much more of that around than the surreptitious blind installation stuff which you are referring to.

You can't blame Microsoft or Internet Explorer for everything...and you have to realise that the vast community of home users of PCs are really up against it when it comes to comprehending what they are doing, let alone properly understanding it.
It's certainly a combination of several things, but I can say that friends and members of my family who now use Firefox on Windows at my insistence seem to find they have almost no spyware, adware, or similar. With IE they had loads, so there must be quite a bit coming down "blind" I think.

Windows is sold on the "ease of use" ticket, it's designed with naive users in mind, so it's no surprise naive users are legion; all the more reason to make it super-secure I'd have thought.
You can't blame Microsoft or Internet Explorer for everything

No, just this thing. Isn't that enough?
>>Firefox on Windows at my insistence seem to find they have almost no spyware, adware, or similar>>

I can support that wholeheartedly. Although I regularly update S and D and Ad-Aware, it's run merely for routine rather than finding anything unwanted...:-)
Good, so those of us who are savvy users and those around us are capable of running our systems safely. However, for each one of us there are probably many tens of thousands who wouldn't even know what Spyware is, let alone how to avoid it.

So Microsoft choosing to bring out a product to help people protect themselves seems a positive step to me, to be praised, rather than cynically questioned and knocked, seemingly just because it's got a Microsoft badge.
>>So Microsoft choosing to bring out a product to help people protect themselves seems a positive step to me, to be praised, rather than cynically questioned and knocked, seemingly just because it's got a Microsoft badge.>>

But that's precisely why MS worked so hard and so long on SP2 for Windows XP...:-)
Microsoft AntiSpyware package - Ex-Moderator
Enough.

Questions, not discussions; as you should all well know. You're very very naughty.
Microsoft AntiSpyware package - Welliesorter
Of course ChrisR is right that there are all sorts of conflicts and contradictions in Microsoft providing this sort of product. It gives them less incentive for making Windows inherently more secure.

Imagine a car manufacturer selling cars whose windscreens are easily removed by petty thieves and vandals, unless owners take a lot of elaborate precautions to prevent it. A cottage industry develops to provide adhesives that enable windscreens to be kept in place securely. The car manufacturer then buys a glue company and offers a small supply of the stuff to any owner who requests it. Other adhesive suppliers and manufacturers would be pretty miffed. There's also the likelihood that those resonsible for the windscreen removals would find a way to remove the adhesive that's most commonly used. And none of this removes the responsibility to make cars with secure windscreens in the first place.

That said, my own experience with the MS AntiSpyware is that it caught stuff that the other well-known packages didn't. I'd say use it until MS start charging but use other programs too. If it becomes the standard or official program for Windows, it'll be in the interest of spyware developers to find ways to work round or disable it.

There are plenty of rumours that Microsoft will start charging in the Summmer but this may just be related to the fact that the beta expires at the end of July. I can't imagine there being too many issues relating to the fact that it's beta software as it's just a new version of Giant AntiSpyware. This is the latest in a long line of programs that Microsoft has bought, off the shelf, from other companies (cf Microsoft BASIC, MSDOS, etc.).
Bootup problem with USB device connected - Dynamic Dave
I have an MA620 infra-red adapter that I use to back up stuff from my mobile phone with - sim entries, txt's, pictures, and the like.

If I leave it plugged into the USB port, then the pc won't boot up. However, if I boot up then plug it in afterwards, then everything works ok.

I've spoken numerous times to the manufacturer, downloaded the latest drivers and software, but still to no avail. No conflicts in the device manager - says operating normally - which is does when plugged in after booting up.

It is *supposed* to be compatable with WinXP, but I've always had this same boot up problem whenever I've used it on WinXP. I never had this problem on my previous pc running Win98.

Knowing how fragile USB sockets are, I'd sooner leave it plugged in all the time.

Any suggestions as to what might be the problem would be appreciated.
Bootup problem with USB device connected - Citroënian {P}
Have a dig through event viewer and see if there are any clues :

start - run - eventvwr (enter)

If you're worried about breaking the PC connector, most computer shops will do you a USB extension cable for a couple of quid. I've got one in both my home and work PCs - save me bending down to the system base to plug in memory key but it also protects from direct wear & tear.

hth (a little bit!)
--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
Bootup problem with USB device connected - Civic8
I had the same problem with a USB card reader..I had to remove the connection to reader before it would boot up.I can only think the bios looks for opperating system in the wrong place.Cannot find it and hangs..I would be interested to hear of why myself.
--
Steve
Bootup problem with USB device connected - mfarrow
Where does it get to before it refuses to boot? If it's before the "loading Windows" splash screen, i.e. in DOS text, then this is BIOS related like Steve's problem. Is the BIOS a AMI or Pheonix (Award) BIOS (presuming of course you're not using a laptop)?
Where does it get to before it refuses to boot?

It happens moments after powering up. I get an Advent logo (the make of pc, btw. computing.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ps_7013792/111801.html ) and that's it. The system then doesn't go any further. I then power down again, remove said USB device and the pc then powers up with no issues.
Is the BIOS a AMI or Pheonix (Award) BIOS

Pheonix Award. I've ploughed through the bios settings, but cannot see anything obvious that needs to be changed.

In total I've got 6 USB ports on the pc. Doesn't matter which one it's plugged into, I get the same problem. I've tried unplugging all the other USB devices (scanner, printer, modem) to no avail.

The only feedback I ever got from the company that makes the infra-red evice was that the Ma620 is XP compatable.
Well,

It sounds like it's got nothing to do with XP if you don't get any further than the Advent logo. Whether this is good or bad news is up to you!

Being as steve.o has had no joy changing the boot options then I doubt I could help as that was my next suggestion! It's a shame that Advent logo exists otherwise you could see where abouts in the BIOS program the error occurs.

If it were me, and I don't in any way suggest you do this, I'd chop the wires from one of the front USB ports to the motherboard, and install a 4-pole relay with a time delay on the coil (from 12v HDD supply), so that the port (with IR thingy connected) comes on after BIOS has run... or I could try putting my imagination to better use!
Bootup problem with USB device connected - Welliesorter
It's a shame that Advent logo exists otherwise you
could see where abouts in the BIOS program the error occurs.

Is there an option to disable it in the BIOS? There is for the Dell logo on mine.

Is there an option to disable it in the BIOS? There
is for the Dell logo on mine.

Not that I can see. Any pointers to which option I head for?
Bootup problem with USB device connected - smokie
I can disable mine...err...in the BIOS (not an Advent).

When the splash screen comes on, the keys usually still function, you just need to know which one to press to go into the BIOS.

Having said that, I was tinkering with a mate's computer the other week and couldn't get into the BIOS.
Smokie,

I know which key to press to access the bios (Del key) but when the pc locks up because of the usb device being left plugged in, pressing the Del key does nothing at all.
Sounds like the BIOS has trouble recognising it then. As mentioned above, if you can disable the splash screen then you may see it hanging on device detection screen - like when you've got an IDE cable loose or something.

Mind you, it sounds like an unfixable one. If the device is broadcasting itself in such a way that the BIOS can't recognise it, it's more likely to only be resolved by the firmware in the device itself.

I like the idea of an extension cable to make it more accessible when you need to plug it in :-)

Mind you, it sounds like an unfixable one.

I'm beginning to think the same. I've just had one more attempt at emailing the company - this time using a different alias, and asking the question in a different and more detailed way.
I like the idea of an extension cable to make it
more accessible when you need to plug it in :-)

I have no problem accessing the usb sockets, but I do like the idea of an extension cable taking the wear and tear.
Bootup problem with USB device connected - Welliesorter
>> Is there an option to disable it in the BIOS?
There
>> is for the Dell logo on mine.
Not that I can see. Any pointers to which option I
head for?

On a Dell, the option is called 'quiet boot'. With it disabled, you get the usual BIOS startup stuff (eg power on self-test for RAM). With it enabled, all this is hidden by the Dell logo until the OS takes over. I'm afraid I don't know whether other manufacturers have the same name for it.
DD

I believe the motherboard itself is an MSI board: www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_...5 .

... so you might have better luck posting the question at the MSI forums at forum.msi.com.tw/ . I've had a quick look myself but can't find anything.
DD
I believe the motherboard itself is an MSI board: www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_...5

According to the blurb I've got, it's apparantely a TriGem IT865GE (MS 6743)

The bit in brackets may well refer to MSI.

I downloaded a pdf file tonight on this motherboard and the relevant bios settings. In the "Advanced Features" of the bios there is *supposed* to be an option "Full Screen LOGO Show" where Enabled Shows a still image (logo) on the full screen at boot. Disabled Shows the POST messages at boot. However, when I looked in the bios settings just now, that option isn't there.

So, I'm still none the wiser.

I think the TriGem thing is a just a re-badge. I don't think they make motherboards.

I got blurb about MSI from www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/pc/3418.htm . Maybe you could try changing your BIOS to one from the MSI site. Though heaven knows what TriGem or Advent have done to the motherboard and its settings in the meantime, so I wouldn't recommend it unless this problem really bugs you, you may end up with dead PC.
Bootup problem with USB device connected - Altea Ego
USB sockets are actually very robust, being designed for user plug and play (much more so than the D sockets with pins).

More damage is caused by bashing or knocking the plugs or devices when in the sockets.
I think that means hot wireable.Ie disconnect reconnect as you please..I have had this problem.But only for a while. I always disconnect the USB before shutting down/re`connect as and when needed after loading O/S. Havent had a prob since
--
Steve
Maybe it's looking to the USB device for boot files? Check the boot sequence in the BIOS.
I was refering to this..though didn`t make it clear..So far boot sequence has made no difference..bearing in mind USB is hot wireable..as I mentioned before..
--
Steve
Sorry. I meant to say hot plugable..I have since been told..that certain USB types confuse the bios so it..Not knowing where the MBR is freezes..Apparently the only way out is to disconnect offending USB plug..Ps was told this by PC world. Though what they said appears to be correct. And works for me
--
Steve
Not able to save files - Civic8
When trying to save a file I get the message C:/disk is full..The disk is a 30 gig. with 512 meg of ram. But only 6 gig used space..It wont matter what type of file I try to save. I still get the same message..I am at a loss on this as it hasnt happened before..It has been reloaded due to a none recoverable crash. Any ideas

Thanks in advance Steve
--
Steve
Not able to save files - smokie
That's an odd one Steve. Try booting into DOS (NOT using dos prompt under Windows) and saving a file under DOS e.g. use command:

c:
cd \
dir /p > filelist.txt

which will do a directory listing of the c drive to a file called filelist.txt. If that works OK then it's an OS problem (what OS?). If not then it's a hardware/disk problem.

What was the nature of the crash which prompted the reload?
Not able to save files - Citroënian {P}
Hi Steve,

A quick guess would be that the disk is read only.

Check the permissions on the drive & folder you're trying to write to.

If you're running NTFS and there are old permissions in place, you'll need to log on as an adminsitrator and take ownership to get access...I'm assuming you're running windows 2000 or XP here.

hth
--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
Not able to save files - Civic8
Sorry I didnt come back earlier.I crashed after posting. I have since loaded another drive.

But still leaves me with the same problem on the other drive. which if I can would like to fix..But still cannot work it out its XP on NTFS. My new drive is XP on Fat32 which works fine.
I have full access to all files..Ps I dont have a clue about DOS
All I can say is as before..Though it would be nice to fix(would save me reloading again)

Reason for last reload. Attempted without thinking to install a program not meant for NTFS..Though the same program works with FAT32..Before you say it I was warned on screen.But clicked ignore. thinking once installed I would get it to work in compatability mode.Slightly wrong but never mind:(
--
Steve
Not able to save files - smokie
A program won't work or not work because of NTFS or FAT. That's all low level stuff handled by the OS. Programs won't care what file system they are stored on.

It will not work because of 32 bit addressing and other stuff in XP. That's where compatibility mode comes in. It deals with the program into a different way to the native OS style (i.e., the "old" way, 16 bit or whatever.)

XP is happiest with NTFS, and NTFS is more robust than FAT or FAT32 . But it should work equally well with FAT32.

To get to DOS, boot the system and tap F8 as the system is loading. Eventually you will get a boot menu and one of the options is to go to DOS. Then use the command I gave before. Not really sure this is going to prove a lot except that it IS the OS at fault, which it probably is.

Someone said above about rights. Are you definitely logged on with an administrator account? It's possible to restrict ordinary users from writing to all or parts of a disk under XP.

Other option is that the filesystem has flagged itself as Read Only. Although I would have thought this would give pther problems in running (creation of temp files etc). Now, if you found you couldn't "replace" a file then it could be that that file is Read Only. This can happen when restoring files from a CD-R, which be definition is a Read Only media. The flags may get set when copying the file to the CD, but don't get un-set when moving the files back. But that isn't the same as creation of a new file...

The other thing I suppose could cause it is that the FAT is knackered - although it is reporting xx mb free, and there really IS xx free, the FAT is unable to identify free space into which it can write your file. Try running error checking on the disk - My Compuer, right click on the drive, properties, tools, error checking. Do the lot, and let it complete - may take some time.