Insurance junk mail. - PhilW
For the last week or so I have been deluged by car insurance junk mail. As far as I know, I have never divulged to anyone that my insurance comes up for renewal on Feb 1st (well, except to you lot just now!) and only my present insurers know. So how do the others find out? Surely my ins. company doesn't tell them does it? (our customer's insurance needs renewing, please send him some tempting offers)
Insurance junk mail. - The Bear
I think you will find that most companies share information about their customers in an effort to reduce fraud.
Personally I would prefer to see less trash mail in favour of reduced premiums.
Insurance junk mail. - Adam {P}
What annoys me the most is the mail from insurance companies who either won't insure me because I'm too young, or give me ridiculously inflated premiums.

LEAVE ME ALONE!
--
Adam
Insurance junk mail. - Imagos
Easy answer to this.

Anything that comes into the Imagos household that remotely looks like junk mail is torn in half and binned.

Simple.
Insurance junk mail. - defender
swap the contents of the envelopes so that company a gets company b info etc and send it back in the freepost envelope,funny thing is that after a while you dont get so much. However if anyone knows how to stop the phone calls originating overseas the info would be gratefully recieved.
Insurance junk mail. - steveincornwall
Try registering with the telephone preference service (TPS)to get get rid of junk calls. It takes a fortnight or so to kick in but from then on you should get no more trouble, if you do report em', any reputable firm takes it very seriously. There is also a mailing preference service (MPS) which works well too. Not sure about the rules on posting links so I'll let you Google them. Good Luck
Insurance junk mail. - frostbite
I think TPS only covers calls originating in UK
Insurance junk mail. - adverse camber
being ex-directory works wonders.

Mark
tps/mps/fps listed
not on electoral roll public list
ex-directory
untraceable number (ie nobody can do 1471 for it)
Insurance junk mail. - Sherwood
I'm ex directory and I still get cold calls.They still get your number from somewhere.
Insurance junk mail. - Stuartli
This is the Telephone Preference Service's website - it's a very effective way of virtually eliminating cold calls etc:

www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

If you do get cold calls and can find out who is involved, reporting it via the website is equally effective in stopping any more from that source.

The Direct Mail link is also on the TPS website.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Insurance junk mail. - keo-the-dog
nuisance calls are dealt with easily, phone rings answer hello caller says hello mr keo-the-dog i say who wishes to know caller says its whatever double glazing /insurance/whatever, i say hang on i will get mr keo....dog for you some time later return to phone and hang up they get the message. ...cheers...keo.
Insurance junk mail. - Pezzer
TPS - FANTASTIC ! peaceful evenings again, since I got a shout on here a while back.
When my phone rings now it will be somebody i want to speak to .
Insurance junk mail. - PhilW
Same here - except for one company who keep telling me I have won a fantastic holiday. MPS doesn't seem to work as well though - or does it?
Insurance junk mail. - defender
thanks all but although registered with tps it doesnt stop the international calls,same as philw here we have won more holidays than we can manage so if you want one phone 09--- ---etc.oh well at least the storm didnt blow power and phone lines down.
Insurance junk mail. - Stuartli
On the odd occasion we have "won" a holiday - usually a timeshare scam - the method in my household is to just say: "Oh wonderful!" or "Oh really!" and put the phone down.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Insurance junk mail. - Ex-Moderator
When they ring to tell you that you've won a prize, keep them on the line as long as possible.

Then, as they reach the end of their spiel, inform them that you've only listened for so long to waste their time and therefore lower their commission, increase their employer's manpower costs, and to maximise their phone bill.

They tend to hang up and not call back.
Insurance junk mail. - steviebee
Mailing information is available from a variety of sources through a variety of means. Lists are purchsed that match the criteria the buying company states.

Your presence on such a list could be for any number of reasons but at some time, you will have told someone that a) you own a car and b) you insure it. It's quite easy to obtain the date you purchased the car so it's an easy guess as to when you need to insure it.

Although direct mail is anoying, it is worth having a quick glance through for any deals before it sees the bin. These companies want your business so it's worth the trouble.
Insurance junk mail. - frostbite
The best bit is, if you do respond, that 'typical 25% saving' or 'save up to £100' suddenly translates into a quoted higher premium than you are currently paying.

PLUS, you are now on *another* database!