The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 29 - Dynamic Dave

**** THREAD CLOSED, PLEASE CONTINUE DISCUSSION IN

"The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 30" ****

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=30133

For the continued discussion of all things pertaining to Speed Cameras.

This is Volume 29.

There is no need to repeat anything since earlier volumes will not be deleted. But then if we only posted original stuff the backroom would grind to a halt in a fortnight.

;o)

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18846

DD.
Flashed by Truvello? - Dave N
I got flashed by what I think was a truvello camera the other day. It was a camera that faced me, with a small number of closely spaced white lines on the road. Thing is though, I thought truvellos used an infrared flash that isn't visible, which is why they can face you. But this one was clearly visible, in fact it was quite startling especially as it was late afternoon. Am I correct in thinking it was a truvello, and is it right that they flash in your face?
Flashed by Truvello? - Robin Reliant
Probably a Gatso that was triggered by something going the other way or was bored and decided to test itself.

Forward facing cameras don't flash for obvious safety reasons. Always worrying when you think you've been got, but I doubt very much if you need to worry.
Flashed by Truvello? - Adam {P}
Agree with Tom. I *think* that even if you were speeding past a GATSO facing you you're ok but am not sure about that.

If the camera in question looked like a Truvelo, (two circular lenses) then it may have been a Peek Trafficmaster or something like that which flash at night only. Worth noting that these don't face towards you either.

You are right about Truvelos - they shouldn't visibly flash simply because of the magenta filter over the flash.

Good luck but I'll echo Tom - don't worry about it.
--
Adam
Flashed by Truvello? - Hugo {P}
Dave

I don't know where this was but I know that Devon and Cornwall Constabulary have, or had a policy of not issuing NIPs to drivers caught coming towards their fixed camera sites regardless of what speed they were doing.

Other forces may adopt the same policy, I don't know. Also my dad driving near Twichkenham got flashed going towards one and didn't hear anything more.

H
Flashed by Truvello? - smokie
If the camera is designed to take pics as you go away from it then they can't do you as you are going towards it, and vice versa.
Flashed by Truvello? - mfarrow
Which side of the road was it on?? If it was on the offside pavement, I suspect you've little to worry about.
Flashed by Truvello? - Bromptonaut
Truevelos are widespread in Northants and have the following characteristics:-

- they are forward facing
- are fixed on one side of the road
- cover either near or offside and are regularly turned
- flash only once for photo i.d. speed measurement is by induction loops under the road.
- the flash can be seen, albeit attenuated by the magenta filter

Was flashed by one on the A428 at Harlestone a few years ago. Never NIP'd though, maybe late on a Bank Holiday it was out of film.
Flashed by Truvello? - Dave N
Well I got my NIP within 14 days, 81mph in a 70.

Out of interest I called the Lincs police to ask if I could see the calibration cert (just in case they'd screwed up procedures somewhere and I could wriggle out of it). They said I'd have to go to court and they'd produce everything there.

After speaking to someone higher up and quoting the Freedom of Information act, they agreed that this was in fact possible. So I wrote them an email asking for it, as well as the APCO guidelines relating to the calibration requirements, and they've acknowledged receipt.

So I wait to see what happens, as they need to respond within 20 days, which takes me close to the 28 allowed for the response to the NIP. I'll let you know what happens.
Flashed by Truvello? - Schnitzel
In nottingham there have been quite a few Truvello installations during the last year, these are at sites where there have been no speed cameras before. They face forward, but why did they paint distance type road markings AFTER the truvello, ie behind it. I am talking about the ruler type markings normally used on Gatsos?

Flashed by Truvello? - Lucian Deville
Hi

Were you speeding? If you know that you was over the limit by 11 mph, why not pay up and see this as a learning curve?

The camera must of been there for a reason? If you were doing about 5/7 mph over the limit, I personally think they would of not mailed you.

For the record - I rately do more than 100mph on the m/way - conditons permitting! The reason for this is that you are norammly automatically banned for going over that limit.

You will agree that cars are more thancapable of travelling at 100 mph all day - but if was to get caught, I would stick my hands up and state 'fair cop'!

The 27 years I've driven - not once have I had a parking ticket/speeding/anyother traffic offence - not all skill, luck as well.

In built up areas, I never speed and even keep below the limit when required.

My m-way drving with the family on board is about 75/80 crusing and road works on m/way, I stick to the limit.

Good luck!
Flashed by Truvello? - martint123
but if was to get caught, I would stick my hands up and state 'fair cop'!

The 27 years I've driven - not once have I had a parking ticket/speeding/anyother traffic offence - not all skill, luck as well.

Bet you change your mind when you do ;>)

Flashed by Truvello? - Cardew
Hi
Were you speeding? If you know that you was over the
limit by 11 mph, why not pay up and see this
as a learning curve?
The camera must of been there for a reason? If you
were doing about 5/7 mph over the limit, I personally think
they would of not mailed you.
For the record - I rately do more than 100mph on
the m/way - conditons permitting! The reason for this is that
you are norammly automatically banned for going over that limit.
You will agree that cars are more thancapable of travelling at
100 mph all day - but if was to get caught,
I would stick my hands up and state 'fair cop'!
The 27 years I've driven - not once have I had
a parking ticket/speeding/anyother traffic offence - not all skill, luck as
well.
In built up areas, I never speed and even keep below
the limit when required.
My m-way drving with the family on board is about 75/80
crusing and road works on m/way, I stick to the limit.
Good luck!

So you rarely exceed 100mph on a motorway; but only because you will be banned if caught exceeding that speed.

However with the family on board you stick to 75-80mph on the motorway.

Could that be because you feel it might endanger your family to exceed that speed?

Flashed by Truvello? - Schnitzel
I would imagine it's because there is more likelihood of local distractions, this is common practice for a good driver, to take account of the situation at the time.
Flashed by Truvello? - Lucian Deville
A sincere thanks for posting my snetiments!

There is a time and place for everything - drving over the limit and even on the limit in built up areas can be dangerous. You have to adapt to the conditons in hand.

The reason I don't drive at higher speeds with the family in the car is that the car is heavier and would take more effort to stop and control in the event of an emeregency.

We had a motorway blow out in the mid/late sixties - Ford Zephur 6 with a bench seat. I think we were returning from Leeds - on the M1, what there was of it. - the rear tyre blew out at around 65/70 mph - the car rolled over many times - my parents/sister and brother were all seriously injured - I did not have a scratch. I still rember the accident on that hot sunny day and as the car swerved and rolled the dirty and dust entering my mouth and then being pulled out by other people. The was no central crash barrier thos days so we were lucky that we did not make contact with oncoming traffic.

I always try to drive to the conditons in hand - I also understand that my recent purchase of a MB, just like anyother new car, will lose controll if you are going over 70 mph!!

Safer to drive at 70 - but most are doing 80 most of the time - I drive a lot slower at night.
Manchester Speed Camera Locations - Stuartli
This may well have been posted earlier but, in case not, here's a BBC website link to all the speed cameras in the Greater Manchester area:

www.manchesteronline.co.uk/news/s/115/115664_speed...l
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What's for you won't pass you by
Manchester Speed Camera Locations - Adam {P}
Stuart,

That's more useful than you think. I've started taking a new route home and according to that, it's a mobile camera site...it's on there twice too!

Thanks again...I owe you a pint!
--
Adam
Government more honest in the USA? - somebody
Mayor says traffic cameras needed for revenue

By Jim McElhatton
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

D.C. Mayor Anthony A. Williams cited the "urgent need" to collect revenue in his recent request to continue the city's automated traffic-enforcement program, which added four new cameras yesterday, despite previous assurances that use of the technology is driven by concerns for safety, not profits.
"There is an urgent need for the approval of this contract to ensure the continued processing of District tickets and the collection of District revenues," Mr. Williams wrote in a Dec. 16 letter to D.C. Council Chairman Linda W. Cropp.

Full story here:

washingtontimes.com/metro/20050111-120538-9615r.htm
Government more honest in the USA? - NowWheels
It's not clear from this article whether the cameras are turning a profit. There's no mention of running costs, though from the revenue mentioned they probably are.

But there isn't a direct parallel with the UK.

The difference is that in the USA, councils and police forces appear to be allowed to keep the fines. In the UK, fines from cameras are paid direct to central govt, and camera partnerships can only claim back their running costs.

So a mayor in the UK won't replenish city coffers by installing cameras ... and the treasury, which collects any profit, has no control over their installation.
Government more honest in the USA? - v8man
Honest Government! Is this not a contradiction in terms?
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
Government more honest in the USA? - Cardew
Most USA districts have local police who unashamedly derive a great deal of income from fines imposed on motorists.

The 25 mph speed limits in residential districts(15mph near schools) are rigidly enforced by patrol cars or policemen hiding with laser guns.

In general this policy has the support of the local population and if speeding wasn't strictly enforced, heads would roll.

All speed cameras are doing is making the existing policy more efficient.

Government more honest in the USA? - In Theory
Are these speed cameras? Neighbouring state of Virginia installed, on a trial basis, red light cameras in the region just outside Washington. At the end of the trial, the state government voted not to carry on with the camera scheme, even though police lobbied in favour of it. Voters, however, loved the cameras less, so the machines are coming down. I suspect Washington has only red light cameras, as well. If so, I can guess that there would be less voter backlash against them because the vast majority of daytime drivers in Washington are commuters from the suburbs and have no say in Washington's local government!
Merseyside Danger Camera Partnership? - Adam {P}
Good evening all,

I've heard, from a little birdie that Merseyside is ploughing £2 million into a sort of "Safety Camera Partnership" that isn't going to be called that.

Apparently, it will cover....well....Merseyside. Of course, I'm none too happy with this given that Merseyside was a pretty safe place to drive not having to look for vans.*

I was just hoping if someone could verify this or hopefully tell me it's a load of rubbish. Apparently, from what I've heard, it's happening on.....the 1st April. I kid you not.

Many thanks

*I of course mean vans on bridges. Looking for vans on the road is of course very safe lest you crash into them.
--
Adam
Merseyside Danger Camera Partnership? - NowWheels
Merseyside was a pretty safe place to drive not having to look for vans

You could just look at the speedo from time to time, and then you'd not have to worry about vans on bridges ...
I had a feeling you'd be along.

>>You could just look at the speedo from time to time, and then you'd not have to worry about vans on bridges <<

Assuming of course I'm unknowlingly speeding.
--
Adam
Merseyside Danger Camera Partnership? - john deacon
i applaud anyone who priorities driving safely about undue concentration on adehrance to arbitary speed limit

as for people manning vans on bridges no doubt they will say they were only following orders when the revolution comes
Merseyside Danger Camera Partnership? - john deacon
sorry should say

i applaud anyone who prioritises driving safely above undue concentration on adherence to arbitrary speed limit
Merseyside Danger Camera Partnership? - mjm
I agree 110%
Assuming of course I'm unknowlingly speeding.

I hope you'll be as honest when the NIP arrives ...
I'm sure you want an argument NW - really I am!

Firstly, whether or not I'm right or wrong is not really the issue here to be honest. Much as I value your opinion on these matters, albeit skewed, I don't really need any morals.

>>I hope you'll be as honest when the NIP arrives ...<<

Of course. I hope you're not suggesting that I would pervert the course of justice should, some would argue the inevitable happen?

Personally, I accept the risk, keep my eyes peeled and take my chances. I've had a few lucky escapes with traps which I take as a warning to be even more observant rather than abide by the limits everywhere.

Before you go labelling me as an immature youth who speeds recklessly, I am young and you won't find any shortage of people stepping up to call me immature ;-)

I'll say what I always do. I don't speed past schools, shops - anything like that. I do speed on the motorway and other quick roads but as to whether you find that acceptable or not (you probably don't), I don't really care.

Don't get me wrong - I value everyone's opinion on here and you come across as a generally nice and funny person, who, if there was a backroom meet, would be on my top 10 list of people to talk to. I just think our views differ so catastrophically that it sometimes appears that I'm being rude when I'm replying to you which purely is not the case. I just disagree with you more times than anyone else!!! But what the hell. It's great honing the debating skills...really it is!

;-)
--
Adam
You don't have to be young to enjoy going fast, Adam. You have to be safe both for yourself and others so that you can enjoy going fast when you are older. I am er in my mid 50s ish and still enjoy it. In my area on the roads I use most there are no speed cameras(yet!). Like you, I don't speed in built up areas, etc., and I believe, as do many others, that 99% attention to what is going on outside the vehicle and will need reaction, with 1% attention to the dials etc. is better than 80% attention and 20% with an eye on the dials. There will always be different points of view on this, as with the rest of life. It would be absolutely devastating to be responsible for causing serious injury or death to another road user of any sort and that is always the primary principle I apply.
Thanks MJM.

It's hard to explain myself without coming across as a "let's burn all speed cameras" type of person. That really isn't my intention - I suppose my quarrel is with the limits themselves but that's another issue.

I like to think of myself as an "aware" driver. I'm one who believes that the quicker you go on the motorway, the more alert you are for potential hazards but again - probably the wrong place to put this.

Personally, I'd rather be looking for kids/prams/people/other cars on the road rather than gatsos/camera vans/potholes but because they're there, we'll just have to adapt. There will always be people who are more aware than others no matter how much they try. RF does what I deem to be a sensible speed on the motorway and has never been done since 1983 yet you hear of some people doing 35 once and being hit. Hopefully it will never happen to me but if I did kill someone and I was speeding dangerously (i.e. - it being my fault) then I would find it difficult - nigh on impossible to drive again.
--
Adam
You've got it, Adam. The road I use every day has a 40mph limit through a village. The limit is just right. I observe it religiously, even going well under it if the conditions dictate it.Without a speed camera to enforce it, either. Drive and enjoy doing it!
Merseyside Danger Camera Partnership? - Badger
Hallelujah, brother! And I have my bus pass but sometimes, just sometimes, when no-one's looking . . .
Hi Adam, sorry for the belated reply ... but I really wasn't trying to label you "as an immature youth who speeds recklessly". Far from it: I actually think you sound very much less reckless than most young folk.

In fact, are you sure that you aren't really some pensioner winding us all up by pretending to be a young'un? [grin]

But you're right, we have difft views on speeding ... though I wouldn't view you as being reckless. Just not equipped with as quite as many recks as I would like folks to be :)

But seriously, my point was about how anyone would handle a NIP which arrived when they knew they had been intentionally speeding. It wasn't intended as a dig at you, but I can see from the way I wrote it that it might have come across that way. If so, sorry -- that wasn't my intention.

It seems to me that some people will try anything to get off, even when they know that they broke the law: some of the cases on pepipoo could be read as being about folks who are trying any trick available to avoid getting the rap for an offence knowingly and intentionally committed.

Maybe I am too much of a moralist, but I reckon that if someone is caught when intentionally breaking the law, they should say "fair cop" and take it on the chin.
I too am sorry NW. I wasn't in the best of moods when I posted that. If I was ragging past a camera then I'd own up. If I got an N.I.P for 32-33 then I would fight it. For the obvious reason but also in light of the possibly innaccuracies of the Gatso. Much faster though and I would cough up whether I agree with it or not.

but I really wasn't trying to label you "as an immature youth who speeds recklessly"<<

You should be....I am!

;-)
--
Adam
Merseyside Danger Camera Partnership? - patently
Whether to own up? A tough one...

If I went past a camera in a 30 limit at 90ish then I would probably remember doing so and would own up. But that hasn't happened and won't happen.

Most of the times I approach a camera my speedo is either reading below the limit or within a few mph of the limit at most. Now, say I am distracted at the crucial moment by a different potential hazard, and just before braking for that hazard I pass the camera at an indicated 36, and trigger it. What then?

Easy: I would use every "trick" I could think of. Why? Because what NoWheels calls a trick, is in fact an attempt to make the SCP prove that I have actually comitted the offence, as they are required to do in any prosecution. The important factor is that I do not know whether I have offended; even if my speedo read 36 it may have been faulty. Even this assumes that I can recall the speedo reading; ask yourselves what speed you were travelling at on 5 January 2005 at 8:03am (say) - I don't know about you, but I can't remember.

Put simply, I am not in the habit of pleading guilty when I do not know whether I offended!
Merseyside Danger Camera Partnership? - Altea Ego
"Most of the times I approach a camera my speedo is either reading below the limit or within a few mph of the limit"

Luadable

"Now, say I am distracted at the crucial moment by a different potential hazard, and just before braking for that hazard I pass the camera at an indicated 36, and trigger it. What then?"

Well firstly I would ask why having been distracted by a potential habit your speed went up when surely it should come down?

"Put simply, I am not in the habit of pleading guilty when I do not know whether I offended!"

You dont have to, you can challenge every intended prosecution in court. If you fail you pay costs.
Merseyside Danger Camera Partnership? - patently
why having been distracted ....

Answer: "Most of the times I approach a camera..." Anyway, it's a hypothetical scenario.
You dont have to, you can challenge every intended
prosecution in court. If you fail you pay costs.

My post was to answer NoWheels' question as to why use "tricks" to evade prosecution; why not just admit it. I wanted to show that, being human, I might not know whether or not I was guilty. For other offences, it might be reasonable to call them "tricks"; I would probably remember whether or not I knifed someone a fortnight ago. But speeding is different, and that is why.

This is not a justification for speeding, merely a justification for defending a prosecution for speeding.
Merseyside Danger Camera Partnership? - jbyron
Dear All,

I am a Merseysider and can confirm that a scheme is NOW operating in St Helens - not a full speed camera partnership, but actions to the effect of.

I made a personal prediction that this would spread to the entire county, and after seeing this topic I don't doubt it.

In April 2004! it was planned to create a partnership

snipurl.com/c288

but this was disbanded

snipurl.com/c286

BUT there is 'hope' of it being reformed (page 2).

---------------

I am in a county now where there is a massive speed camera pertnership. on my way to town, i passed a radar that flashes if u r going too fast, then a 30 gatso, then another warning radar. Same again on the way home...what fun. By the way i was never NOT in a mobile camera zone!

going to bed, i heard about 10 cars souped up doing 50-60 in a residential, yet main road with double parked cars. If you ask me, get the traffic units on patrol!
Merseyside Danger Camera Partnership? - Dynamic Dave
jbyron,

I've shrunk the url's you posted as they screwed up the page width, but the second link didn't work before I even attempted shrinking it.

DD.
jbyron,

I'm from St Helens myself and I know a while back they were going to form one but it got shelved. Apparently it's taking off again.

I've seen a few traps but these have been civilians.

Thanks for the info - most interesting.
--
Adam
Getting Fed Up With Being Flashed - BrianW
Going home last night on the bike, going past a camera at exactly 30mph (as one does) and off it goes, presumably triggered by something going the other way.

Not the first time it's happened.

I find it distracting (particularly on the bike) and tend to spend the next fortnight worrying in case I end up having to argue my case in court (my word against a piece of machinery).

I get a sense of false accusation and a limbo period when you don't know whether the accusation is being pursued or withdrawn.

Maybe the authorities should consider issuing a "Sorry, not your fault, we're not pursuing it and the record has been deleted" notice?
Glad to see the system works - patently
Here's a camera that seems to be working well...

www.safespeed.org.uk/canyouhelp001.jpg

Paul Smith's explanation is at:

www.safespeed.org.uk/canyouhelp.html

SCAMership accounts - teabelly
Published under the FOI they're here for all to see on the DFT's website:

www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_foi/documents/d...p

teabelly
Faulty speed gun casts doubts - Dynamic Dave
Motoring convictions throughout the UK could be unsafe after a speed gun was found to be inaccurate, a solicitor claimed yesterday.

The claims came after a driver accused of doing 132mph was cleared when it emerged his car could not be driven that fast.

Full report here:-

news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=179822005

Furhter report here:-

The Home Office launched an investigation yesterday into the use of a long-range speed camera after it emerged that its readings were unreliable.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005...l
Dodgy gatsos too! - teabelly
The case from Dave Edgar about the flash interval is also around somewhere. The case was adjourned in January but there is not much sign of when things are going to kick off again.

Considering motorists seem to be treated as guilty until proven innocent it would seem sensible that the standards of evidence required are improved!

teabelly
Faulty speed gun casts doubts - henry k
Motoring convictions throughout the UK could be unsafe after a speed
gun was found to be inaccurate, a solicitor claimed yesterday.
The claims came after a driver accused of doing 132mph was
cleared when it emerged his car could not be driven that
fast.

I accept that on the day of the test the speed limiter did its job.
I find it difficult to believe that such a Subaru is imported and the limiter is retained.

Anyone know how easy it is to swop one limiter for another?
Is it by any chance a simple swop of a chip?
Faulty speed gun casts doubts - teabelly
When laser guns are used there should be a session video that has video of all cars that are nicked to also prove their speed. I'd imagine in this case either the video was missing (which would have proved either way beyond reasonable doubt) or someone realised the video did show the car was only doing max of 107 mph so didn't submit it as evidence to prove the inaccuracy of their device.
teabelly
Faulty speed gun casts doubts - Stargazer {P}
Henry,

As the article says, all Japanese cars have the limiter built in, I think it is up to the manufacturer on how to do this, but in cars imported to Australia it was usually a ecu swap or reprogram. I dont know if this is a simple chip swap or something a specialist might do.

I always got the improssion in oz that it was not too easy to reverse the change.

StarGazer
Faulty speed gun casts doubts - Marc4Six
My car when imported retained the limiter, the speedometer face was simply changed to read from 0-180 kph to 0-120 mph (Japanese cars limited to 180 kph (112 mph)).

However the speed reading accuracy was not good, right on the legal limit +10%, so I had the speedometer replaced and derestricted. It was done with a chip, the reason for not doing it would be cost, at about £150 not cheap.

Speed accuracy now within +3%.
Slow Impreza WRC? - IanJohnson
Thousands of convictions across Britain could be unsafe after police officers using the ProLaser III accused James MacGregor, 34, from Inverness, of doing 132mph in a 70mph zone. Mechanical inspection of his Subaru Impreza WRX later found it was incapable of exceeding 107mph. A dangerous driving charge was thrown out of court - Auto Express

Will this kill the Ipmreza's image or did the police, and magistrates, miss something????

Slow Impreza WRC? - Truckosaurus
His WRX was a Japanese import which comes with a 180kmh limiter fitted. Usually these are disconnected as part of the SVA preparations in converting the speedo to MPH.

I was also surprised this defence was allowed, as how could he prove the limiter was fitted at the time?
Is this legal / does it work? - johnny
Is car number plate anti-flash spray illegal?

Does it work?

Personally I find it easier to keep to the speed limit.

(Edited and link removed)
Is this legal / does it work? - keo-the-dog
it's illegal and said not to work, although if it doesn't work how do they know you have used it for it to be illegal.. have heard that hair lacquer works if sprayed lightly several coats over plate.. tell you what you try it and let us know if it works or not..hee hee...cheers...keo
Is this legal / does it work? - L'escargot
<<.. have heard that hair lacquer works if sprayed
lightly several coats over pate..

So this is why it looks on photographs as if I haven't got much hair!
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Is this legal / does it work? - Schnitzel
LOL... Quite a lot of scameras nowadays don't flash anyway, SPECS, Truvelo during the day, Transport for London systems etc...
Is this legal / does it work? - Robin Reliant
I've read tests on these in various bike mags and all reached the same conclusion - junk.
Is this legal / does it work? - henry k
.. tell you what you try it and let us know if it works or not

>>

Oh go on give it a try. You will get a penny change from £25 and it is an 0800 tel no
There are even some testimonials.
To save you effort see below

(link not allowed)

If you read the web site it is a very impressive product.
it says -
There is no legislation prohibiting the sale or use of Safeplate.

Why delay call now.

Disclaimer. I have no association what so ever with this company.
Is this legal / does it work? - Stuartli
There is no legislation prohibiting the sale or use of Safeplate>>

If it's what I think it is, then there is regarding such use:

www.roadracers.co.uk/reg-regs.htm
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Is this legal / does it work? - Dynamic Dave

Previously discussed here:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20856&...e
Is this legal / does it work? - cub leader
Even if it does work it doesnt protect you from a copper with a radar gun.
--
Im a student ive got time!!!
it is illegal.. but like i said if it works then the authorities know you used it but presumably cant identify you, if it doesn't work then they wont know that you have used it...cheers...keo
Is this legal / does it work? - David Horn
Saw a BMW yesterday with a shimmery green numberplate - presumably they'd tried something similar because it was almost impossible to read.
Is this legal / does it work? - Dwight Van Driver
Chances are Keo it could show up duff on ANPR and bang your in the book for:

R.V. (Display of Reg Marks) Regs 2001.

11. - (1) No reflex-reflecting material may be applied to any part of a registration plate and the plate must not be treated in such a way that the characters of the registration mark become, or are caused to act as, retroreflective characters.

(2) A registration plate must not be treated in any other way which renders the characters of the registration mark less easily distinguishable to the eye or which would prevent or impair the making of a true photographic image of the plate through the medium of camera and film or any other device.

DVD
Is this legal / does it work? - pmh
Interesting to see how the law is VERY specifically framed!

If for example a device on the parcel shelf of the car electronically detected the signature of the flash and in response triggered a flash back at the camera this would probably render a conventional film image unreadable. (it may also do the same to to more modern electronic sensing infra red devices). - we are talking microseconds response time here, and to the naked eye the second flash would not be identifiable!

Yes, I appreciate that this still probably illegal under other legislation eg rear facing lamp? altho if it is not fixed to the car, it probably is not covered by construction and use regs.

Electronics engineers out there, any comments?

--
pmh (was peter)

Is this legal / does it work? - mfarrow
If for example a device on the parcel shelf of the
car electronically detected the signature of the flash and in response
triggered a flash back at the camera this would probably render
a conventional film image unreadable. (it may also do the same
to to more modern electronic sensing infra red devices).
- we are talking microseconds response time here, and to the
naked eye the second flash would not be identifiable!

The flash I suspect would have to be pretty bright and be angled right to get the camera. This might then cause more crashes than it prevents as it blinds following motorists!

As to whether it could be implemented, yes I believe it could. A fairly simple unit could be designed to detect sudden changes in light level and emit a flash as a respnse. But it would have to be clever enough to distinguish the difference between a camera flash and other light changes such as going in between the shadows of trees and buildings in bright sunshine. You might be able to get around this by having several different kinds of light sensor (Infra-red, light level, ulta-violet) and program the "chip" so that it would know the difference between the sun and a flash bulb.
Electronics engineers out there

That's not me BTW!

Mike Farrow
Is this legal / does it work? - sir_hiss
I'm sure such things do exist (do a search for "number plate" flash device in google) As to their legality, you could probably be done under trying to pervert the course of justice. I've always wondered if an LCD numberplate would work - for example replace bottom bar of an E with an LCD that when turned off, would make it an F.
I'm sure such things do exist (do a search for "number
plate" flash device in google) As to their legality, you could
probably be done under trying to pervert the course of justice.
I've always wondered if an LCD numberplate would work - for
example replace bottom bar of an E with an LCD that
when turned off, would make it an F.

it may work but if you get caught with it you are going on holiday to the big house ,3square meals a day and very friendly showers...cheers...keo
Is this legal / does it work? - Dwight Van Driver
Other than those as an exemption, showing a light other than red to the rear.

Road vehicles Lighting Regs 1989 ?

DVD
GPS Speed Camera Detectors - DSLRed
I've been thinking of getting one of these GPS camera detectors, but, and this may seem like a silly point of view, I want one that:-

a. Needs no wiring as I can't be doing with the faff.

b. Works well, even if the windscreen is heated / heat reflecting etc.

What I ideally want is one that will simply stick to the top of the dash in a holder, run off batteries without the need for an ugly wire trailing to the fag lighter, and which you can take out on a night and charge up like a mobile phone, as well as downloading camera site updates.

Does such a unit exist?

GPS Speed Camera Detectors - romeo156
I dont know of a unit that runs on batteries.

I have an Origin Bluei and it only has two wires, one to the cig lighter and one for the GPS antenna. Both of them can be "hidden" and I dont have any problems.

The unit works very well also, have been really pleased with it.
GPS Speed Camera Detectors - Altea Ego
None of them run on batteries.
None of them can magically see through reflective screens.

If you want the benefits you have to put in a bit of effort.
GPS Speed Camera Detectors - DSLRed
Oh well, it was worth a try!!. It is the 21 century after all!!.

Thanks anyway.

GPS Speed Camera Detectors - GreatestDancer
tom tom go is battery powered, has 5 hour battery life and works fine in my ford focus with heated windscreen.

Rich
GPS Speed Camera Detectors - martint123
The Mitac mio168 is a PDA with built-in GPS.
Battery powered, dash/screen clip. Can run tomtom navigation software with freebie scamera software.
I'm contemplating changing from a medion wired to one of them after a mate did the same seeing as he got a silly price for his old one on ebay.

GPS Speed Camera Detectors - doctorchris
As a G.P. (general medical practitioner) whenever I see GPS I read it as G.P.s and start to think "oh my God, what am I being targetted for now?"
Then reality sinks in and I calm down.
Speeding convictions unsafe? - teabelly
www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/southwest/series7/speed-ca...l

With the evidence presented by BBC's inside out does it not make speeding convictions using the laser guns unsafe? At the very least all operations should be carried out with the gun on a tripod as otherwise there is no way speed readings are going to be accurate.

As an aside, if the laser reflects of shiny surfaces if I polish the car heavily or leave it mucky does it alter the speed reading? ;-)
teabelly
Speeding convictions unsafe? - Stuartli
The People carried a story just over a week ago about laser guns recording remarkable speeds for trees, pram pushers etc - it would appear that the BBC piece is a follow up.
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Speeding convictions unsafe? - buzbee
I don't have the manual for one of these lasers and so I am a little bit in the dark but if the information in the page of the above link is correct, the device uses a pulse every 100th of a second -- in round figures -- and it calculates speed from the changing distance making use of 30 such pulses in a measurement.

Now 30 mph is 44 feet per second so the distance moved between each pulse is 0.44 feet, equal to 5.3 inches, equal to 13 cm. Thus each range measurement should show up as differing from the previous one by 13 centimetres.

Clearly, with a 13 cm change in the measurement, if the beam wobbles on a sloping bonnet etc. there is going to be measurement error, within the equipment, but the claim is that the equipment has a predictive gating technique to recognise and eliminate the use of false readings.

In the case of radar guns, there are several built in checks to 'prove' that the thing was functioning as designed. For instance a known simulated speed is put in and viewed on the display. There is a tuning fork that is held in front. Finally, there is a speed check against a police car just before the trap is used.

A fair question is: what safety check is built in to the laser equipment to 'prove' that the gating check is working on the equipment prior to its use to convict an 'offender' and should the equipment be being used if the answer is none.

Speeding convictions unsafe? - Altea Ego
Re polish, there was a test of a particular polish designed for this task and it did indeed reduce the range by several metres.

However, the boys in blue are trained to aim the laser at your number plate, which is flat, facing the gun, and does not scatter, so as long as they can aim the damn things you are knackered.
Speeding convictions unsafe? - henry k
Quite a few comments been added on the end of the BBC page since I first read it.
Speeding convictions unsafe? - Phil I
Hey DD Why is this rubbish not in the Speed Camera thread???
Speeding convictions unsafe? - Dynamic Dave
Hey DD Why is this rubbish not in the Speed Camera thread???

Give us a chance! Contrary to belief, I am not here 24/7 ;o)

Kick. Weeeeee ----> Off it goes.
Speeding convictions unsafe? - buzbee
RF: the laser operator aims at the number plate because it has no slope

In the Teabelly's link is an 'engineer's' contribution that says the laser aim is not necessarily as shown to the laser operator! !
The not another speed camera thread - THe Growler
Had to share this one.

Our Skyway tollway recently introduced speed cameras. They caught a Congressman speeding. He got a court order saying that taking pictures of him without his permission is a violation of his human rights.

With the Philippines judicial system that will take about 15 years to sort out, if ever.

GATSO Detectors - romeo156
Yesterdays paper had a small section stating that "Gatso Detectors" are to be outlawed. I read this to be the machines which pcik up the fixed sites rather than radar detectors.

Does this make sense? Some of the advertising for these quote that they advise drivers of accident blackspots (that is the reason behind a gatso being in place).

Will outlawing these be a step in the right direction? I have a unit, since acquring it I have not picked up any points and therefore no fines. Is this the reason behind the possible ban?

GATSO Detectors - Altea Ego
The paper was misleading. Devices that purely rely on GPS to locate fixed cameras are and still will be legal

Devices that detect emissions (radar and laser) will be banned.

This includes GPS devices fitted with emissions detectors. Remove your radar/laser detector interface from your GPS device if its fitted and it will be legal
GATSO Detectors - mjm
Can you be made to remove something from a car which was fitted when the device was legal?
If someone has a device fitted, will it also pick up fixed cameras?
If it picks up fixed cameras, is it not a road safety aid?
If it has to be removed, is this not a retrograde step for road safety?
If it becomes possible to update GPS quickly, within 10/15 minutes, with the location of mobile devices, and I suspect it will, will GPS be banned?
Will AA/RAC patrols be posted near them to salute/not salute as necessary, as they used to? (have to have visible badge, though)
Will this shower stop at nothing in their attempts to criminalise everyone?
Will this lead to even more dislike/distrust of the police force and disgust with the law?
Will it save more lives?
Will it stop proper road construction?
Will it just extract more "tax" for this shower to waste? Yes, that't why it's being done!
GATSO Detectors - smokie
I got 6 out of 10 in mjm's test :-)
GATSO Detectors - Lucian Deville
Can you be made to remove something from a car which
was fitted when the device was legal?
If someone has a device fitted, will it also pick up
fixed cameras? ....

so what you are really saying is that you speed but don't want to be caught!!!!!

Have you not seen the adverts or the highway code that tells/shows you it takes greater distances to stop in you brake at higher speeds.

what if a child was to run into your path and you were doing 40 in a 30 zone??????

we don't need this stupid/sick gadgets as we always drive within the limits/or prepared to pay the price. for the offical record, i never speed in built up areas - may speed upto 80mph on motoways, conditions permeitting of ciurse.

Get a grip and remain legal and save lives.
GATSO Detectors - smokie
"remain legal". At 80 on motorways?

Oh, so it's OK to speed when YOU decide it's OK.

Not all 30 zones are built up and some have "conditions permitting" a higher speed too!
GATSO Detectors - blue_haddock
Also please remember that the quoted braking distances are based on a 1960's car (Ford anglia?) virtually every car made in the last 20 years will out perform the quoted distance.
GATSO Detectors - Thommo
Oh Lucian won't someone please think of the CHILDREN! (copyright The Simpsons).

And what if I am doing 30 in a 30 zone does that give me the right to run the child over with complete impunity?

Try to argue rationally.
GATSO Detectors - Peter C
Been meaning to buy one for some time.Now I will whilst still available.Maybe there will be more empty cameras to ignore and drive at an irresponsible 38 mph on a quiet early Sunday morning without fear of prosecution.

I remember that before fixed cameras 35 -40 mph was considered to be perfectly acceptable in a 30 zonewhen traffic and conditions allowed.
Oh Lucian won't someone please think of the CHILDREN! (copyright
The Simpsons).
And what if I am doing 30 in a 30 zone
does that give me the right to run the child over
with complete impunity?
Try to argue rationally.

Grow up for pitys sake!!!!

You know as well as i do that in any speed zone, one should only drive conditions permitting, otherwise one slows down even further!!!!

in 30 zones and 20 zones in our humble NW3, we don't normally ravell at these speeds but slower as any child or old person/anyone could step into the narrow road from between parked cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

therefore speeding in a 30 zone is a serious offence. How would you feel if you hit a anyone even if they made a mistake and did not see you and you were travelling at 3 mph in a 30 zone?? If you had been travelling at 30 mph or less you would have had a better chance of not hitting them or not causing their deat!!

Stop maoning and get your act together - stop speeding before you kill someone!!!!
Also please remember that the quoted braking distances are based on
a 1960's car (Ford anglia?) virtually every car made in the
last 20 years will out perform the quoted distance.

Thanks for the support via stating the facts!!!
GATSO Detectors - mjm
Lucian, you are missing my point. The only detectors I have in my car are the ones attached to my body.

My question was quite serious, can you be made to remove a device which was legally obtained and legally fitted?

The rest of the questions were me cynically suggesting that the law was being passed to raise more tax by way of fines on motorists.
The subject of speeding and exceeding the speed limit has been covered in the back room before, and no doubt will again.

The highway code stopping distances, as stated elsewhere on this thread are so out of date that they are a farce.

What if a child ran into my path and I was doing 55 in a 60 limit?
What if a child ran into my path while I was doing 60 in a 60 limit, and being observant, I emergency stopped and missed it.
What if a child ran into someone elses path while they were doing 55 in a 60 limit, and being concerned with not speeding, they were looking at their speedometer and hit the child?

The speed you choose to drive at on the motorway is up to you. The speed I choose to drive at, outside built up and hazardous areas, is based on the prevailing conditions and my judgement.
We are sorry if we've misunderstood you :)

We saw a top gear programme on the bbc - the bottom line is that even if it is leagally available and fitted and the rozzers note that you're messing with their speed gun or intend to and the cops take you to court - you will have to justify why the mechanisum was fitted - sorry re spell as me in a dash.
GATSO Detectors - Dynamic Dave
We saw a top gear programme on the bbc

5th gear actually, on Channel 5.

Yours ever so pedantically, (still in training from Mark) DD.
GATSO Detectors - Ex-Moderator
Some bloke called "WE" typed a load of silly stuff. I deleted it.
GATSO Detectors - Adam {P}
We are sorry if we've misunderstood you :)<<

Every one of your posts mentions "we". Who's "we"? Do you have a split personality? Collective "we"? or is it as I suspect?
--
Adam
GATSO Detectors - Caveman
Every one of your posts mentions "we". Who's "we"? Do you
have a split personality? Collective "we"? or is it as I
suspect?

Lucian are borg. Adski will be assimilated. Resistance to speed camera detectors is irrelevant.
GATSO Detectors - Thommo
I think my sarcasm was too subtle for Lucien so I'll be more specific.

Whenever the issues of tax cameras comes up someone starts banging on about about speeding and running down children. Why running over a child is worse than a granny or even a middle aged man I am not sure but anyhow...

IF the tax cameras were all located in areas where it was even likely that children would be mown down then I feel sure that no one on here would opbject but they are not. By their nature such places are urban and speeding is not usually possible and thus the tax cameras would not generate enough wonga. They are mostly located in areas where the roads are wider, clearer and speedng is possible or even likely. Sitting here thinking about it I can not recall seeing even one camera placed outside a school or hospital, there must be some but I bet not many. I can however remember them being placed on a clear stretch of a brand new dual carriageway (how can a new road be deemed dangerous before its even opened I wonder?).

That is why we are all so negative about them and why I now sigh when someone starts on about 'won't we please think of the CHILDREN' (copyright The Simpsons) because its just a cynical ploy to justify an additional tax on motorists whilst at the sme time doing nothing about bad driving and inapproriate (but legal) speed in urban area which actually can harm children!