The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 30 - Dynamic Dave

**** THREAD CLOSED, PLEASE CONTINUE DISCUSSION IN

"The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 31" ****

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=30961

For the continued discussion of all things pertaining to Speed Cameras.

This is Volume 30. (yes, who'd have thought it)

There is no need to repeat anything since earlier volumes will not be deleted. But then if we only posted original stuff the backroom would grind to a halt in a fortnight.

;o)

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18846

DD.
Are we Tax Cameraed out? - Thommo
2 years or even 1 year ago the Tax Camera threads were the hottest on this board. Not only did (do) we have a dedicated speeding thread we also had (have) a dedicated speeding related to Tax Cameras thread.

I was there up the front leading the charge, OK I was also being made redundant at the time and so had little to do at work but surf the net, but I wanted to get my view out there and oppose the anti-car brigade who strangely post so often on this a motoring board. However just lately I can't really be bothered as we are going over the same arguements time and again and I feel that the overwhelming evidence is that the fixed cameras at least are nothing more than revenue raising devices and most people now agree with that.

Today neither speeding thread is anywhere to be seen on the first or second page and so I ask the question are we Tax Cameraed out?
Are we Tax Cameraed out? - martint123
I stopped looking at both the speeding threads.
(a) They get too long and time consuming to look at.
(b) Like you, the anti-car lot were taking over, so I left them to it.

Martin
Are we Tax Cameraed out? - Adam {P}
If I got bored arguing with NoWheels in the Speed Camera thread, then God help you poor souls!
--
Adam
Are we Tax Cameraed out? - NowWheels
Today neither speeding thread is anywhere to be seen on the
first or second page and so I ask the question are
we Tax Cameraed out?

I suspect that this issue will go on the same sort of cycle as the introduction of the breathylser a few decades ago:

1) It's an outrage, how dare they!
2) Now they've done it to me, I'm furious!
3) We should all unite to stop it
4) Let's all yell together
5) Yelling is getting boring and I got other things to do
6) OK, I don't really like it at all, but I think they have a point
7) You know, I don't drink when I'm driving and I still enjoy myself
8) We probably need more enforcement of this
9) It's an outrage that folks drink and drive, how dare they!
10) When folks get caught, boiling in oil is too good for them
We're on 5 now and I don't think we'll ever get past it.
--
Adam
Are we Tax Cameraed out? - Bromptonaut
Share Adam's point about where we are but think we are progressing onto 6.

What's the point in a "tax" that the observant and careful can opt out of?
Brompton,

As a Tax Advisor I can answer that, it doesn't matter if people can opt out of it as long as large numbers don't (example Inheritance Tax) through inaction of ignorance but if too many people do then you change the rules (example Stamp Duty, now Stamp Duty Land Tax). Young Gordon will demonstrate these principles tomorrow.

So:

1. The emphasis has shifted to mobile Tax Cameras as every ones pretty much worked out where the fixed cameras are.

2. Outlaw detectors.

3. Arbitarily change speed limits for no apparent reason.

Are we Tax Cameraed out? - mjm
4 Require more proof of identity and ownership to get a numberplate than a passport!
Are we Tax Cameraed out? - teabelly
Brunstrom has just done a large U turn and finally admitted that cameras are doing nothing for road safety. I think a lot of the cameras will disappear within the next year. The SCPs are also being told they can't take on more staff. Hopefully this will mean proper road safety and policing will be concentrated on. The high profile cases of dodgy mobile guns has also added to the perception that anything other than a proper copper with a vascar is a useless method of speed enforcement anyway.

If ACPO have half a brain they'll knock Mr Brunstrom off his perch and replace him with Paul Garvin.

teabelly
I think a lot of the cameras will disappear within the next year. The
SCPs are also being told they can't take on more staff.
Hopefully this will mean proper road safety and policing will be
concentrated on.

I wouldn't put so much trust in the Sunday Mirror's reporting, but if you are right, about cameras going, you are mistaken about the effects -- removing the cameras won't free up a penny to pay for more traffic cops.
Are we Tax Cameraed out? - patently
Tick ... tick ... ah, someone has compared speeding to drink driving. No surprise there, then!

There is a difference. Drinking is a digital issue - you have drunk, or you have not. We can validly discuss whether it is right to drive after drinking at all, or not. The current law has a threshold, but this is low enough that it reflects a time after drinking rather than an amount of drinking.

Speed is analogue; to use a road you have to make progress at some speed or other. The question is what the limit should be, how it should be set, and with what severity it should be enforced.

In short, none of us have to drink and drive, but all of us have to move at a speed. Thus, the argument is different and I do not believe that the parallel holds. Hence Adam is right.
I don't think anyone could put forward the argument better at all.

Patently comes out with a lot of good points but I don't think I could agree with one more so than I do here.

It is so tempting to put my own thoughts here but I know that would only serve to let this degenerate into another "one of those" threads and get moved.

--
Adam
Adam, think it has become a speed camera thread, oh well...
Sorry Thommo.

--
Adam
Are we Tax Cameraed out? - frostbite
They haven't given up on them in Essex.

Just announced - a whole new batch on the A12 around Kelvedon.
Patently, you are right, of course that no-one has to drink to use a car but that some speed is necessary.

But while that semantic point might say something about setting appropriate penalties, it doesn't alter the fact that both are areas where there is widespread law-breaking unless the rules are enforced, and that the law-breaking increases dangers.

Hardly anyone argues any more that drink-driving is a good idea, let alone that it shouldn't be prosecuted. But we are still in the stage where some folks are keen to argue some combination of speed limits are bad/speed limits are only OK if I don't have to go slower than I would be going anyway/whatever the limit, how dare anyone enforce it.

Thirty years ago, very similar comments were made about drink-driving laws.
There is a difference. Drinking is a digital issue -
you have drunk, or you have not. We can validly
discuss whether it is right to drive after drinking at all,
or not. The current law has a threshold, but this
is low enough that it reflects a time after drinking rather
than an amount of drinking.

Actually, as your explanation sets out, drinking is also an analogue issue.

Most people are probably safe to drink a half-point of ale and hop straight into their car, but there comes a point at which you are over the limit.

The limuts have been revised several times, vary from country to country -- and there is an ongoing argument about whether they should be lowered further.

But the blood-alcohol limit is enfocred pretty rigorously, and in a binary manner. Under the limit = no problem, over it by a small amount and you're going to say bye-bye driving license.
Are we Tax Cameraed out? - v8man
>>Most people are probably safe to drink a half-point of ale and hop straight into their car<<

Is this an intentional pun?
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
>>Most people are probably safe to drink a half-point of ale
and hop straight into their car<<
Is this an intentional pun?

I wish I could say yes, but it was accidental. Thanks for pointing it out :)
Are we Tax Cameraed out? - Ex-Moderator
rather proving my frequently stated point that arguments about cameras and enforcement are pointless, irrelevant, ineffectual and usually downright wrong.

It is a law (speed limit) it should be enforced. People arguing about whether or not a law should apply to them is ridiculous. And aside from being ridiculous is never going to be openly supported by a majority of people.

Now, arguing as to whether or not the limit is appropriate, now that makes sense.

Our issue is not that limits are enforced. Our issue, or at least it should be, is that the limit is set inappropriately.

We should have the right speed limit, set by a reasonable and objective set of standards and then enforce it - by cameras, traffic police and whatever else is needed.

I wish people would also understand it is a limit. Not a comulsory target. Although there will still be those of limited ability to are unable to drive at a specific speed (people who complain that they have to look at the speedo so much that they are unsafe) - they should just aim to drive under the limit by whatever margin their incompetence makes neccessary.

By the way, do people really believe that the removal of speed cameras will release thousands of policeman who have been taken from their cars/beats to monitor cameras and pursue tickets

Also, since people constantly focus on revenue generation, tax, scam ,whatever - then where do you think the money is going to come from to replace this lost revenue ? Or do you think that govenrments and police forces will just spend less ?
Anyway, to return to the topic of the thread, there is a good reason why we don't discuss this any more.

We've tried all the arguments, neither side has convinced the other, and both sides are bored witless. Sadly, that doesn't make NoWheels right.

I shall just remember today as the day when NoWheels said that I was right and be satisfied with that ;-)
Are we Tax Cameraed out? - Bill Payer
I think getting rid of speed cameras and safety partnerships could end up being a bad thing (for drivers).
I live in Cheshire and I've been caught twice in 18 mths by the Police (not Partnership) using hand held radar. Trouble is, the Police are much more sneaky and hide whereas the Partnerships are supposed to be out in the open.
By the same token, I can't understand people damaging Gatso's - if you don't see a great big orange box then you probably shouldn't be driving. If all the Gatso's disappear, we'll end up with a lot more mobile units in their place.
Are we Tax Cameraed out? - v8man
They're not all great big orange boxes and a lot of them are still obscured.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
If all the Gatso's disappear, we'll
end up with a lot more mobile units in their place.

And since it's much more expensive to have a bloke standing beside a van holding a speed-detector thingy than to stick it on top of a pole, we'll also see pressure for fines to be increased to cover the cost.
Are we Tax Cameraed out? - Phil I
>Today neither speeding thread is anywhere to be seen on the first or second page

For which the Lord be praised. Halleuia>

So why is this rubbish not in one of those threads Mods??

Happy Motoring within the posted limits and no worries at all
Phil I
Are we Tax Cameraed out? - Baskerville
Yes, and speeding (in a legal sense) is also a digital issue: you are either exceeding the speed limit, or you are not.
You're not necessarily dangerous when you're over the limit though. I would say you are when you're drunk.
--
Adam
Are we Tax Cameraed out? - Baskerville
You're not necessarily dangerous when you're over the drink drive limit either, just more likely to cause/be involved in an accident. And the more you drink the more likely it gets, which is the same with speeding according to the insurers. In both cases though you are "over the limit" and that's all the breathalyser/speed camera can measure.
Are we Tax Cameraed out? - runboy
Article over at www.edp24.co.uk re a speed camera wrongly flashing people, then no one verfying the road markings and seeing the cars were actually doing the correct speed. Tickets sent out and many people worried.

I've just seen a lovely quip re the link between speed and accidents.

"Just think about your last accident. Now, if you'd driven that journey at twice the speed, you'd have got home before the accident happened!"

:-D
:-D

You realise of course you've opened up another aspect to that Patently? My money's on NW pointing it out.

:-)
--
Adam
"Just think about your last accident. Now, if you'd driven
that journey at twice the speed, you'd have got home before
the accident happened!"

Tut tut, Patently - not fast enough.

If you drive faster than the speed of light, you get home before you set out, leaving no time at all for the accident to happen.

But maybe your strange Teutonic car can't go that fast? ;-)
>>You're not necessarily dangerous when you're over the drink drive limit either<<

Ok - fair point. Answer me this though. Would you rather share a road with someone who's speeding, or someone who is over the drink drive limit?

As Mark says - there's no point arguing abotu whether speeding is more/less/as dangerous as drink driving/murder/genocide as it's been done to death. The quarrel has now shifted over to the limits and whether they're suitable for that type of raod. The fact that they're monitoring the speed on these roads only serves to compound the issue.
--
Adam
Ok - fair point. Answer me this though. Would you rather
share a road with someone who's speeding, or someone who is
over the drink drive limit?

Adam, you were asking Patently, but forgive me please for giving one answer to this.

I had this dilemma in a rather different way, years ago -- getting a lift home from the pub in the days when the cops just waited outside to have a friendly talk to everyone while they came out, and didn't stop them driving if they could still walk unaided.

I had a choice between a driver who had several pints down the hatch, and one who was probably just under the limit.

Mr Several-pints knew he was pushing it, and would drive very slowly; but Mr Near-The-Limit always drove very fast. So I reckoned I was safer with Mr Several-pints, because at least if we hit anything we'd be going slowly enough not to do ourselves much mischief. So we had a brief chat with the cop, apologised for not having had the chance to buy him a drink, and crawled home on rural roads at 20mph in the Several-pints-mobile.

Which driver would you have chosen?
Unfair! Both were drunk...well both had consumed alcohol. Let's say Mr Drive Fast hadn't drunk anything? Of course you'd choose him.

Forgive me, but your reasoning is quite ridiculous to the point that if I'd have said it, you'd have been in no rush to highlight my error ;-)

Without saying it explicity, Mr Several-pints was drunk - if not over the limit (which I'm sure he was) drunk enough to know he was pushing it. So your argument is that whilst he was drunk...or drunker, the fact he was going slow would save you. Ha. Junctions? Spatial awareness? Pedestrians? How do his slower reactions cope with these?

The fact is, one was drunk, one wasn't. I'll be perfectly honest, much as you'd like it to, I think the fact one drives fast is neither here nor there.

--
Adam
Forgive me, but your reasoning is quite ridiculous to the point
that if I'd have said it, you'd have been in no
rush to highlight my error ;-)

Actually, you've missed the big flaw in my scenario -- that Mr Friendly-Plod should left the lot of us to walk home after stopping both drivers (Mr Several-Pints for his blood-alcohol reading, and Mr Drive-Fast for exceeding the village speed limit).

Patently came close with his take-a-taxi answer, except that in that village, there was no taxi. It was choice of walking 4 miles, or taking a lift from a dodgy driver ... and the best choice for me would have been not to go out drinking unless I knew I'd have a safe driver to get me home.
Without saying it explicity, Mr Several-pints was drunk - if not
over the limit (which I'm sure he was) drunk enough to
know he was pushing it. So your argument is that whilst
he was drunk...or drunker, the fact he was going slow would
save you. Ha. Junctions? Spatial awareness? Pedestrians? How do his slower
reactions cope with these?

In each case, the driver would travel further than safe before reacting -- Mr Several-pints 'cos he was drunk, and Mr Near-The-Limit 'cos his speed was excessive. I made my choice cos at least Mr Several-pints would slow down or stop we told him to.
The fact is, one was drunk, one wasn't. I'll be perfectly
honest, much as you'd like it to, I think the fact
one drives fast is neither here nor there.

Both were unsafe. Different sorts of unsafe, but both were at risk of not not stopping before hitting something.
>>Both were unsafe. Different sorts of unsafe, but both were at risk of not not stopping before hitting something.<<

By George I think you've got it!!! I would agree with the latter of that statement certainly. I never missed the big flaw of your agrument - I merely overlooked it;-)

>>In each case, the driver would travel further than safe before reacting -- Mr Several-pints 'cos he was drunk, and Mr Near-The-Limit 'cos his speed was excessive. I made my choice cos at least Mr Several-pints would slow down or stop we told him to.<<

Well firstly, that's your definition of safe which is questionable. Mr Several-Pi...you know what? Let's call him Mr Drunk. Mr Drunk would slow down or stop when you told him to? Hmm. Someone jumps out - "Stop Mr Drunk" - slurred movements, bang, brake.

Come on.

--
Adam
Mr Drunk would
slow down or stop when you told him to? Hmm. Someone
jumps out - "Stop Mr Drunk" - slurred movements, bang, brake.

If he was going fast enough, definitely. But at the speeds he was going, Mr Drunk had more time to brake before the bang. He still shouldn't have breen driving, tho, just as Mr Nearly-Drunk shouldn't have been driving.
Patently came close with his take-a-taxi answer, except that in that
village, there was no taxi.

Go to a different pub then.
>> in that village, there was no taxi.
Go to a different pub then.

Nearest pub with a taxi was probably 40 miles away. The best answer was no to go out drinking, which has what has happened in that area since drink-driving laws started being enforced properly.
The
best answer was no to go out drinking, which has what
has happened in that area since drink-driving laws started being enforced
properly.

You guessed my next post, then.... ;-)
Are we Tax Cameraed out? - Ex-Moderator
Even for a speeding thread this is getting daft.
Not in time for you to have your problem though? As you said - the best option was not to go out drinking.

You're quite happy to hang people for speeding but equally happy to get in a car willingly; preferably in fact with a drunk driver at the wheel - knowing long before the event you were going to be faced with this issue.

I mean all this in the nicest possible way of course ;-)
--
Adam
You're quite happy to hang people for speeding but equally happy
to get in a car willingly; preferably in fact with a
drunk driver at the wheel - knowing long before the
event you were going to be faced with this issue.

Not quite -- I was happy to do that. Being older* and wiser**, I wouldn't be at all happy to do that now. But then nowadays I don't drink at all, so the situation wouldn't arise.

But I'd better not say any more on this, or else Mark's silly-ometer will explode!

* a lot older
** a little wiser
Agreed. But it did need an airing!
--
Adam
Sorry NoWheels, but that is an easy choice: option 3, a taxi.

And next time, I'd think twice about how good is a friend who would drive me home in either state.
Yes, and speeding (in a legal sense) is also a digital
issue: you are either exceeding the speed limit, or you are
not.

Yes, speeding is a digital issue. Speed, however, is analogue.

The risk lies in excessive speed. Ideally, this would correlate perfectly with speeding, but sadly it does not always. In some areas a legal speed is excessive. In others, a speed that is not excessive is nevertheless illegal.

If the correlation were not so poor, then there might be more respect for the limits. That could do far more to limit excessive speed than an increase in enforcement.

I still find it frightening that so many cannot see the distinction between speed, speeding, and excessive speed. They are three wholly different concepts.
>>I still find it frightening that so many cannot see the distinction between speed, speeding, and excessive speed. They are three wholly different concepts.<<

That's why I purposely omitted the speed or in fact the blood alcohol level in my post. Both are breaking the law. I know who I'd rather be sharing the road with.
--
Adam
Are we Tax Cameraed out? - mjm
We know when we are breaking the speed limit(not necessarily speeding), we have an instrument to tell us. There is, as far as I am aware, no way to tell me, or anyone else how near the drink/drive limit we are. Is this fair?
How do speed cameras cause traffic jams? - ad
Apologies if someone's already highlighted this research...

www.guardian.co.uk/life/thisweek/story/0,12977,143...l

Andrew
How do speed cameras cause traffic jams? - NowWheels
Apologies if someone's already highlighted this research...
www.guardian.co.uk/life/thisweek/story/0,12977,143...l

another good reason to use SPECS cameras rather the single-point variety.
How do speed cameras cause traffic jams? - patently
another good reason to use SPECS cameras rather the single-point variety.

Either that or a good example of the law of unintended consequences.

I wonder how many accidents happened in the jams?
And when even the Guardian prints:

"They tend to be placed where speed limits are more routinely being broken, which tend to be places where it tends to be safer to drive faster than the speed limit," says Glaister's colleague, Michael Bell.

you begin to wonder if the intellectual argument behinf HMG's policy has been all but lost.
How do speed cameras cause traffic jams? - Thommo
As SPECS only operate from the front and (currently) a bike has no identification from the front I am all in favour of them but I have a question. Why is it SPECS can only operate from the front, they are after all merely plate recognition cameras, could the cameras not be turned round so they operate from the back? Anyone?
How do speed cameras cause traffic jams? - NowWheels
you begin to wonder if the intellectual argument behinf HMG's policy
has been all but lost.

I'm not sure that "intellectual" is the adhjrective I would apply to an article in the "Life" section of the Grauniad or any other paper
Agreed. If we follow that lot too closely then before we know it the whole wrold will be in a spate of chassis.
New speed camera? - David Horn
On my way into Uni this morning some new speed cameras appear to have sprung up along Headingly Lane, just past Hyde Park.

They're about half the size of a normal one, grey, with two lenses. Are they the new number plate reading ones? They're in a pretty stupid place cause the average traffic speed along that bit of road is about 2mph.
New speed camera? - daveyjp
One has also appeared on Barkerend Road in Bradford - no idea what it is.
New speed camera? - runboy
Could be some form of traffic monitor-lots of different types of those around.

Can you describe further?
It's about half the size of a normal speed camera and looks a bit like a grey traffic light with only two lenses. Will try to set it off tomorrow on my bike, it's on a downhill bit. Perhaps it zaps offending motorists with a laser cannon? :P
New speed camera? - daveyjp
It's similar to a Truvelo in that it has two lenses, but they are facing away from the traffic. It's the same size as one of the red light cameras.
New speed camera? - Altea Ego
sounds like a bus lane camera.
New speed camera? - Adam {P}
There's a new tri-eye one knocking around - might be that.
--
Adam
Ahhh - are the lenses circular? It's a Peek Traffimaster I think. Used around here as red light cameras but the odd speed camera too. Lines set in the road set it off.
--
Adam
www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/peektraffic.jpg

It's one of these, though it hasn't been painted yellow yet.
That's the one. I've seen quite a few in Liverpool used as speed cameras but they are mostly used as red light cameras. Don't know why they're preferred over the normal red light ones.
--
Adam
New speed camera? - LongDriver {P}
Beacuse they're dual purpose no doubt!!

Red light and speeding, that'll be a big 6 points sir!
New speed camera? - mountainkat
Think these are the ones that get you when you're heading towards them - send you a nice photo of yourself in the post !!
Primarily yes. Most up here are rear facing though.
--
Adam
New speed camera? - Rishab C
I don't understand it, on my 7 miles to work, I pass 58 cameras that I can see, (CCTV, traffic monitoring, TruVelo, SPECS, ICTIS SID, TrafficMaster) yet crime is out of control and the Police are only seen at accidents and alleged hate crimes.
Just 13 years ago, there were just 2 traffic monitoring cameras.
Where did it all go wrong?
New speed camera? - PatrickO
Re: Rishab C. Has any one ever been prosecuted for paying too much attention whilst driving?
She couldn't have replied! My argument was airtight. Why delete it!

;-)
--
Adam
M5 Yesterday - daveyjp
Following a weekend in Cardiff and experiencing the whole of Wales going mad we travelled back yesterday via the M50, M5 etc to Leeds.

From joining the M5 at Strensham there are a few miles where the limit is posted as 50 - the works aren't continuous, but are in patches and no lanes are blocked - it appears work is being done on the verges (but obviously not on a Sunday!). No camera signs and no cameras visible - this seems to mean to most drivers that they can continue at speeds well in excess of 50 (and 70)!

Well to all those who flew past us in the middle and outside lane I hope you saw the police car and speed camera placed on one of the bridges early enough. Travelling at 50 ish me and the wife saw the car from a fair distance, but I imagine those doing silly speeds saw him too late. Another nice little earner for Glos police, but you have to admit those who can't do 50 for a couple of miles are easy pickings!
M5 Yesterday - mjm
Yes, they are easy pickings. Those roadworks have been going on for months. I have never seen anyone working there, though! I bet the roadworks end soon, the new council tax bills are out, and another source of revenue is available.
M5 Yesterday - teabelly
I went through those roadworks the other weekend. Everyone else was whizzing passed but I stuck resolutely to 50 where it was signed as 50. There were lots of sections which had cones on the hard shoulder but the limit was still 70 but with roadworks signs. I am assuming if there were no 50 signs and no 50 repeaters then 70 is ok.

teabelly
Good news for Kent twoccers - teabelly
Kent police have been told they are no longer allowed to exceed the speed limit or infringe the highway code on their way to call outs. The 10 minute target has been removed for getting to the scene. The article also suggests that pursuits will also have to be carried out under the same conditions....

A police force is to remove sirens and flashing blue lights from its patrol cars as part of attempts to reduce the number of high-speed accidents as they respond to emergencies.

From next month, ordinary officers in Kent will be told not to break the speed limit or step outside the rules of the Highway Code when chasing criminals. Instead of having to arrive at the scene within 10 minutes of an emergency call, they will be told simply to "get there as quickly as it is safe to do so" The move - condemned by officers as "absurd political correctness" - follows a number of accidents involving speeding police cars. About 30 people a year are killed by police cars, a figure that has trebled over the past six years.

In February 1999, Sheena McDonald, a Channel 4 news presenter, suffered serious head injuries after being

hit by a police van in North London.

In a memo to officers last week, Supt Alan Horton of Kent's Tactical Operations Department spelt out the new policies, which he said were designed to make flashing blue lights and sirens "a rare event".

Mr Horton said: "The changes are in recognition of the frankly alarming number of Police Accidents (Polacs) throughout the country. Last year there were around 50 Polacs a day.

"Patrol cars will not have audible warning equipment and this is being disabled. It will be removed when the vehicle is next serviced.

"This might impact our response times. The counter argument is that it is better to get there a little later than not at all.

"A basic driver cannot go outside the Road Traffic Act. This does not mean that they cannot attend emergency calls, simply that they must do so within their capabilities and within the capabilities of the vehicles."

The new rules have infuriated some officers. One officer with more than 25 years experience told The Sunday Telegraph: "The number of accidents on our roads for which a police driver is responsible is absolutely minuscule compared to the number of miles covered in emergency conditions.

"The figures that Supt Horton quotes are misleading as a police accident is defined as any incident with which a police vehicle is associated - whoever is to blame and even if there has been no contact between the police vehicle and the one being pursued.

"This new policy is not being announced publicly in order that Kent's criminals don't find out about it. The fact is that word will start spreading as soon as a stolen car speeds off and they see a patrol car slowing down. As the directive comes into force on April 1, you would be forgiven for thinking that this is an early April Fool's joke. I only wish it was. The truth is that the policy is akin to waving a white flag at criminals."

Insp Steve Seabrook of the Kent Police defended the new policy, saying that protecting the safety of other road users had to become more of a priority.

"The main drive is a concern about the number of accidents involving police vehicles across the country. We have a duty to review our policies to ensure public safety," he said. "Perhaps we have been using flashing lights and high speeds too readily. We have to balance the risk that a criminal might escape with the potential danger to the public of a high-speed pursuit."

Of course training their drivers properly hasn't entered their short sighted heads. The criminals will love it. All they have to do is to exceed the speed limit by a few miles an hour and they can get away in reasonable safety rather than risking their own necks by driving like nutters! What next, pursuits entirely in electric wheel chairs?

Oddly it mentions it happening from April 1st so could this be an early April fool?
teabelly
Good news for Kent twoccers - Adam {P}
Well it's nice to know that whilst I'm being murdered, the Police willget there....albeit after the event.

Lunacy just to please a few morons.
--
Adam
Good news for Kent twoccers - Thommo
I am actually all in favour of this. Lets be honest the police won't actually do anything when they get there and if its thought to be a dangerous situation they will refuse to go in anyway, health and safety mate. So getting there late or early really makes no odds so I say later and cut down on the traffic accidents.
Inforad GPS fixed speed camera detector - Mike 996
Dabs.com are selling these for £79.99. Anyone have any experience of them ?
Mike.
Inforad GPS fixed speed camera detector - Altea Ego
Not seen em before, just checked out the web site. Seems very basic, and I dont like their use of the term "areas" it sounds a bit vague. They dont say how well its handles specs zones (they are real nasties)

Still at that price it costs not much more than a standard GPS aerial/receiver and with the optional pocket PC adaptor coming would make a good plug in for a pcket pc running TomTom.
Inforad GPS fixed speed camera detector - storme
they also give you the option of putting in your own safety zones,,which they might incorparate into their gps positions at a later date,,that sounds good..

for example,,i know where all my local points are where the rozzers hide with their mobile devices...but do you?? when you come to bournemouth on a day trip?? the answer is no...and a gps system wouldnt necessarily help you,,because they arnt fixed :)
so it seems pretty good in that dept.

so has anyone bought one,,i am tempted at that price..
especially as radar detectors will be illegal at the end of the year
--
www.storme.co.uk
Inforad GPS fixed speed camera detector - top
Have just purchased a snooper s3 detector. These use GPS for fixed camera sites, Have a 360% laser detector and have free updates for 6 months.
You can now get these for under a £100 delivered. they are a well
known company and have plent of accessories with them. you can input upto 99 of your own sites
have only used it for 2 weeks,although it has detected every fixed camera site on the road, well worth the money.
Inforad GPS fixed speed camera detector - No Do$h
for example,,i know where all my local points are where the
rozzers hide with their mobile devices...but do you?? when you
come to bournemouth on a day trip??

Wave 105 (105.2 - 105.8FM) have a tendency to announce the locations of any meetings of the Dorset Camera Appreciation Society, as they call it.

In a nutshell, don't think of exceeding the limit on the A338 south of Ringwood or anywhere in Bournemouth/Poole as these guys are VERY active.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Snooper. About time I got a detector.

No Do$h - Alfa-driving Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
Inforad GPS fixed speed camera detector - Altea Ego
"Thanks for the heads-up on the Snooper. About time I got a detector."

Before you go splashing out your Hard Earned ND, Look here.

www.autoexpress.co.uk/product_test/55471/speed_tra...l
Inforad GPS fixed speed camera detector - No Do$h
Oh, alright then RF. The Road Angel it is then. I'd already settled on the RA but the snooper kind of grabbed my eye for £99

::Sigh::

Still, I'd have only spent the other £300 on toys, gadgets or skiing gear.
Speed Camera Question - Roly93
My wife reckons she was flashed by a fixed speed camera in Northampton the other day. On closer questioning she was adamant that the camera flashed brightly as she was coming towards it.

From my knowledge of speed cameras Gatso, Truvelo etc, I didnt think there was any type of speed camera which flashed approaching cars, unless it was infrared.

Am I wrong here ? Comments please.
Speed Camera Qusetion - blue_haddock
Have a look in the speed camera thread as this has been covered several times in the past
Speed Camera Qusetion - Bromptonaut
The truvelo, widespread in Northampton, flash as the offender approaches. I know 'cos the one on the A428 at Harlestone did it to me.

SWMBO was convinced she'd been flashed on the A43 by Weston Favell, these are however SPECS camera which measure speed over distance, and I can only assume she saw a car's lights reflected in the lens.
Speed Camera Qusetion - Dave N
Yes they do flash quite brightly in your face, I've got the points to prove it. This is despite the official truvello website stating the flash is invisible as it's infrared.
Speed Camera Qusetion - Roly93
Thanks for the feedback, it looks as though she has her first EVER motoring conviction at 46 !!
Speed Camera Qusetion - Armitage Shanks {p}
No yet she hasn't! Count the days until the NIP arrives, if it ever does, and if it is more than 14 + 3 for the postal time it is invalid.
Speed Camera Qusetion - Ex-Moderator
>>and if it is more than 14 + 3 for the postal time it is invalid.

Not neccessarily true. There is no requirement for delivery, only requirements for reasonable despatch.
Speed Camera Qusetion - Armitage Shanks {p}
And proof of despatch, Mark? I know it used to have to be recorded or registered but not any more. As the PO admits to losing 250,000 items a week and my own application for my employment pension has been missing for 8 weeks, I don't think posting means delivery! What is the legal position if you get a NIP, and put it in your shredder and deny receiving it? Hypothetical question of course!
Speed Camera Qusetion - Ex-Moderator
IT actually doesn't matter whether or not you receive it, or how long it takes for you to receive it. Provided that they can show it was despatched at a point where it could be reaosnably expected to arrive at your last known address within 14 days, then they've completed their duties.

So you denying you've received it won't help or matter - it certainly won't invalidate the NIP.

And you are right, posting does not mean delivery or receipt. But their duty ends at posting.