The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 31 - Dynamic Dave

**** THREAD CLOSED, PLEASE CONTINUE DISCUSSION IN

"The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 32" ****

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=31305

For the continued discussion of all things pertaining to Speed Cameras.

This is Volume 31.

There is no need to repeat anything since earlier volumes will not be deleted. But then if we only posted original stuff the backroom would grind to a halt in a fortnight.

;o)

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18846

DD.
M4 cameras - Stargazer {P}
In the paper today, mobile cameras are to be deployed on the M4 junctions 14-18 from next week to enforce 70 limit.

StarGazer
Argh, I proof read the text but not the title.....should read M4 not M$. If the moderators could please oblige!

Ian
M4 cameras - patently
Argh, I proof read the text but not the title.....should read
M4 not M$. If the moderators could please oblige!
Ian

No - it should be M£ surely, not M$ or M4....
M4 cameras - Altea Ego
Indeed, set to nick you at 78mph and above. Deployed on bridges and will be snapping you at 200 metres plus before you get to them.
M4 cameras - Adam {P}
What are the penalties in France? Do they give you points too or just fines?
--
Adam
M4 cameras - David Horn
Hopefully it'll make a difference to people who go hurtling along at over 90. My own feelings are that the speed limit should be raised to 80MPH and then rigorously enforced, snapping at anything over 90MPH. The revenue can pay for road repairs or more cameras.
M4 cameras - Altea Ego
In fairness, this means (given speedo inaccuracy) you can toodle along at an indicated 80mph speedo (which I suppose is my average MW cruise) quite safely.
Agreed RF, a steady 70-80 is not a problem, but hopefully it will slow down some of the fastest 3rd lane drives on this stretch of road who pass me as though I am standing stationary.

StarGazer
M4 cameras - Altea Ego
Agreed RF, a steady 70-80 is not a problem, but hopefully
it will slow down some of the fastest 3rd lane drives
on this stretch of road who pass me as though I
am standing stationary.
StarGazer

On the long downhill stretch Westbound to J15?
No, I usually get on at junction 15 then go west as far as the M5.

M4 cameras - smokie
Been here before haven't we?

Why is you doing 80 OK but someone else doing 90 not OK?

M4 cameras - Altea Ego
I said an indicated 80, so thats probably about 73-75
1/ The cameras are set at 78 true
2/ I wont get knicked at an indicated 80
3/ you will get knicked at an indicated 90

So I am all right jack.
M4 cameras - smokie
Comment was badly aimed at Jesse, sorry RF. And what you say is quite right.

Although I also read that they will vary the threshold on a daily basis. I also read that this is one of the fastest stretches of motorway - don't they use the M40? :-)

In fact I'm surprised about the publicity this has got as I'm sure mobile cameras are in use everywhere. So there's nothing new about this news. Just heightens public awareness I guess.
M4 cameras - Altea Ego
"I also read that this is one of the fastest stretches of motorway - don't they use the M40? :-)"

Yes thats quick ....But....

M6 TOLL - fastest in the UK.
M4 cameras - chris_w
M4 in wales... slowest motorway in the UK, mainly 'cos there's some ****(couldn't decide what word to use) sat in a white van on every bridge pointing one of those cash making devices at the helpless eager drivers below.
M4 cameras - NowWheels
the helpless eager drivers below.

helpless?

listen sweetie, see that pedal under your right foot. Just don't push it so hard.

That way the needle (yes, there is a needle, look here) ... anyway if you don't push the pedal so hard the needle won't go over 70.

Then the big bad men in the vans won't come and frighten you.
M4 cameras - chris_w
Wasn't refering to myself, so you needent worry any more darlin', although nice to know that you care.

I just hope your halo doesn't impede your driving.
M4 cameras - Duchess
"I also read that this is one of the fastest stretches
of motorway - don't they use the M40? :-)"
Yes thats quick ....But....
M6 TOLL - fastest in the UK.

Tried the M69 recently?

M4 cameras - Malcolm_L
Tried the M45 recently, one bridge and one junction and usually no cars either

P.S. Bad subsidence about 1/2 mile westbound from M1, it's been patched since the Ferrari took off and disintegrated but it's not perfect.
M4 cameras - patently
I also read that this is one of
the fastest stretches of motorway - don't they use the M40?
:-)

Shhhhh....
M4 cameras - Dynamic Dave
2/ I wont get knicked ....

Knicked?
M4 cameras - brianrh
Isn't the tolerance on speedometers -0%/ 10% to stop people inadvertently breaking the speed limit?
M4 cameras - jbyron
Why set at 78? Thats above 10%, and ACPO is 10%+2?
I might be wrong.
M4 cameras - BMDUBYA
The thin end of the wedge. This is ridiculous!
M4 cameras - sir_hiss
Its instilled panic the minds of us M4 commuters :). I do J17 to the M5 interchange daily so it'll liven things up a bit. I'm just waiting for the 1st fast lane shunt as drivers of good quality german marques stand on the anchors upon site of a white van on one of the bridges. I'm also wondering just how the safety camera partnership is going to deal with all the paperwork - epescially if they set the cameras at 79MPH.
M4 cameras - mjm
This is ideal, isn't it? A heavily used length of road which has seen numerous accidents over the years and obviously needs care and attention. So lets ensure that the users spend more time with their eyes looking down at the speedo instead of on the road and other traffic.
I know that if you drive at the limit you won't get "done", but please don't try to tell me that the urge to check the speedo upon sighting a camera isn't irresistable.
It looks like Gordon has noticed his financial black hole and is trying to fill it.
M4 cameras - sir_hiss
It'll be too late to check the speedo once you've seen the camera :) I wonder if, once people start to get the idea, slow down and the revenue drops off, cars will appear in the outside lane doing 90 again....
M4 cameras - smokie
I think you'll find that all the revenue from scameras times a hundred wouldn't go very far in filling Gordon's financial black hole. And that's assuming he got it all - the partnerships retain some in most cases.

I suppose every little helps.

It also isn't a revenue stream he could depend on, as the day will come when people will realise how simple it is to avoid paying anything.

Oh, and with a little practice and determination, I've found it is fairly easy to plonk a car with which you are familiar on almost any speed you wish, and keep it there, reasonably steadily, without reference to the speedo. I could certainly do that at 30 and 40 with my eyes shut (metaphorically speaking of course). But if you find yourself incapable of doing so, or of flicking your eyes at your speedo, there are now GPS devices which will warn you when you are exceeding the speed limit. Word is that nanny is also stepping in to help, in that your car will also be braked for you, if you can't manage it yourself.

The issue of drivers braking suddenly on seeing the camera reflects poor awareness as much as anything. If the camera had been a kid, it may have been killed. It's clear that many drivers do not actually have a clue what limit they are driving in on A or B roads. Some dawdle at 40 in a 50 and slow even more if a camera comes into view. This can be as dangerous as speeding.
M4 cameras - David Horn
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/vote_2005/england/...m

"But Mr Gray said if the Tories were voted into power, they would raise the speed limit on motorways to 80mph."

'ello 'ello 'ello. Someone has big ears and it ain't Tony.
M4 cameras - JohnM{P}
'I'm just waiting for the 1st fast lane shunt as drivers of good quality German marques stand on the anchors upon site of a white van on one of the bridges.'
If they've missed the many large warning signs that have been unveiled today (before bridges and hard shoulder humps) westbound, it's probably because they're too busy picking up the mobile - which means they'll be braking hard anyway to do a 3 lane chop whilst answering it... situation normal!
M4 cameras - sir_hiss
Does anyone recollect seeing speed camera warning signs between 17 and 18? Thats discounting the temporary ones for the roadworks :)
M4 cameras - smokie
It's been on the telly again this morning, about these M4 cameras.

What a marvellously designed publicity stunt they've pulled - even if only the occassinal camera is seen, drivers will now be more conscious of their speed. Maybe, anyway!
M4 cameras - NARU
It's been on the telly again this morning, about these M4
cameras.

Showing lots of pictures of tailgating! I have no problem with people who speed being nicked, as long as other motoring offences also receive attention, and tailgating is top of the list on motorways.

M4 cameras - JohnM{P}
Sir Hiss: I go through J14-17 each day; many large warning signs have been erected recently and were uncovered yesterday.

This morning, between J17 and J15, it was 3 lanes of near solid tailgating, at 65 - 70 mph. This is NOT a safety improvement!

And who is spinning the line to the BBC that this is the first time that cameras have been used on a motorway? White van cameras have been used on the M4 on non-roadwork sections in Wiltshire and Wales for a couple of years?

M4 cameras - sir_hiss
That'll be the signs they've had covered up the past 6 months. Just driven back from the M4/M5 interchange to J17 - not a single white van camera/laser tripod/ fixed camera etc apart from the one just before the J18 roadworks. In fact, I think the powers that be are pulling a bit of a fast one here (no pun intended !) Since its the Wiltshire Safety Camera Partnership running this, they'll only be operating in Wiltshire. Wiltshire starts about 4 miles west of J18 (I'll measure it tommorow) and there are not many bridges either in the remaining 3 miles to J18. So I very much doubt they'll be operating West of 17 - so the J14 to J18 is a bit of an exageration.
M4 Scameras - Union Jack
"Wiltshire starts about 4 miles west of J18 (I'll measure it tomorrow)"

Sir Hiss - When "manana" comes you will measure from J18 eastwards, won't you!?

Jack

M4 Scameras - sir_hiss
well spotted! Its more like two miles not 4. Anyway, the list of 7 sites on the Wilts Safety Cam Partnership website are all east of J17.
M4 cameras - WipeOut
I used to commute through this section every day.

Speed isn't the main cause of accidents on this road.

1) It's tailgating, usually caused by lack of lane discipline (mid laners).
2) Lorry's/Coaches and blowouts.
3) People not looking in mirrors when they change lane, or looking in mirror and pushing in.
4) Holiday traffic, usually inexperienced drivers, towing over laden caravans, or poorly secured bike carriers.

It's one of the straightest, safest bits of motorway I can think of. 70, is a ridiculously slow speed limit for most modern cars

Why don't the police start fining for mid-lanners, tailgaters, and those who signal, maneuver, and mirror; if they really want to make the roads safer!

WipeOut
M4 cameras - Truckersunite
I used to commute through this section every day.
Speed isn't the main cause of accidents on this road.
1) It's tailgating, usually caused by lack of lane discipline (mid
laners).
2) Lorry's/Coaches and blowouts.
3) People not looking in mirrors when they change lane, or
looking in mirror and pushing in.
4) Holiday traffic, usually inexperienced drivers, towing over laden caravans, or
poorly secured bike carriers.

Basically everyone else bar you then is causing the problems!!
Can't quite see how point 2 causes a problem, are you saying all trucks and PSV's cause accidents?
That stretch of road maybe fairly straight, but that often makes them more dangerous as people loose concerntration, having the odd bend and hill makes people think a bit more. Also as it runs East/West then you have the added problems of the sun in the morning and afternoon blinding you, particulary bad in the early morning and late evening.
M4 cameras - Roger Jones
Generally speaking (not motorways specifically), two thirds of accidents happen at junctions -- now there's a surprise, not. Why aren't two thirds of the cameras at junctions? Draw your own conclusions.
M4 cameras - WipeOut
Truckersunite

You wrongly assume, I speed. I rarely speed. I disagree with the police's disproportionate interest in speed, and lack of interest in other road safety issues.

As to point two, having nearly hit lorry tire carcasses on the motorway a number of times, I feel quite strongly about it. You try swerving and avoid lorry carcasses in rush hour traffic. I wouldn?t want to hit one at motorway speeds. I've also driven past lorries as the tyres have blown out, which is terrifying.

I?ve got nothing against truckers, and I never said truckers were responsible for all accidents. I?ve also talked with truckers, when traffic has been stationary on the M4, and they?ve told me that lorry/coach blowouts cause accidents, not all, but some.

WipeOut
Truckersunite
As to point two, having nearly hit lorry tire carcasses on
the motorway a number of times, I feel quite strongly about
it. You try swerving and avoid lorry carcasses in rush hour
traffic.

If you don't have time to see them then you are travelling too close to the vehicle in front, simple fact.

>>I wouldn?t want to hit one at motorway speeds. I've
also driven past lorries as the tyres have blown out, which
is terrifying.

Not as terrifying as driving one when a steer axle tyre blows I can assure you!!!!!

And I never assumed you speed, not all accidents are a result of speed, more are a result of lack of concerntration which are then put down to speed.

M4 cameras - patently
1) It's tailgating, usually caused by lack of lane discipline
(mid laners).

This is likely to be more common, if anything, once the 3rd lane is full of people at 69mph on an open stretch.

I know this bit of motorway fairly well - I used to spend the week in Bristol and the weekend in Cambridge. The main risk is boredom - utter boredom.

Reducing speed is not going to help that. Quite the opposite. What is needed is to ban any non-cabriolet and require all roofs to be down. Especially in bad weather.

That'll keep everyone awake. ;-)
M4 cameras - Mattster
Jesse - no government will ever raise the speed limit to 80 because they don't want the blame when someone gets killed doing 75. Even if modern cars are infinitely more capable at 80 than 1960's cars were at 70 when the limit was set.

Truckersunite - be realistic, hardly anywhere on any motorway can you keep the highway-code stipulated 10 miles between you and the vehicle in front. If you're in traffic and a lorry has a blow-out in front of you, where are you going to go anyway?
--
Mattster
Boycott shoddy build and reliability.
M4 cameras - NowWheels
If you're in traffic and a lorry has a blow-out in front
of you, where are you going to go anyway?

Go to stand on your brakes?
M4 cameras - smokie
That's your choice Matt. Either keep at a distance within which you can stop or pile into the back of the vehicle in front...

I know which I'd prefer...
All you can do Matt is keep dropping back, I manage to keep a good distance from the vehicle infront, in both cars and trucks. It is a matter of what you regard as a higher priority, your safety or getting somewhere 5 minutes earlier, Your chioce,I make mine and it's safety.
M4 cameras - turbo11
With the permanent placing of speed cameras(cash registers!)on the M4 yesterday,how long before you see them placed on most motorways.
Surely these are going to cause more accidents as drivers whose speed may have crept up are suddenly going to brake hard when observing these camera vans(like the golf which had to swerve to avoid hitting me up the back did on the M40 last week).
My most recent speeding ticket was 84mph on an empty motorway.First thing i knew about it was when the letter dropped through the letterbox two weeks later.Beware of any plain white vans on motorway bridges,they may be speed camera vans.
M4 cameras - Roly93
I use this stretch of the M4 at least once a week, and I wouldn't have considered it bad for accidents generally, granted it is fast, but then again this is due to the good visibility and relative lack of traffic (compared to the Thames valley stretch).

Ironically it would seem that where the accidents occur is beteween J14 and London not this peaceful rural stretch of M4.

Over the other side, ie Cardiff area there are some more demanding stretches of motorway with some tight bends (for motorway speeds) which is more of an accident blackspot.

However I want to be clear that I think the deployment of these speed cameras is the actions of blood-sucking scum who only care about revenue generation and not about catching truly bad drivers.

A motorway cop once said to me that when they were sitting watching the traffic, they weren't overtly worried about speed (within reason), what they were looking for was driving that made cars 'stand-out' from the general flow.

Speed cameras can't do this now can they.....
M4 cameras - Dynamic Dave
On several occasions that I've travelled between jnct 14 through 16 it's been quite misty. That, coupled with the morons who haven't bothered putting on their lights, despite the warning signs in the central reservation, I feel are *some* of the causes of the high amount of accidents that happen along this particular stretch of motorway.
M4 cameras - sir_hiss
I noticed this evening that on the J17 junction, a scuffy white van was parked on the bridge in such a way that it was overlooking oncoming traffic in westbound lane . No signs or anything on it and it didn't look like a speed camera van. But from a distance and in the current climate, traffic approaching J17 would have probably thought otherwise. Conspiracy or just a couple of jokers having a laugh?
M25 Variable speed limit cameras - commerdriver
Does anyone know if the cameras in the variable speed limit section of the M25 work when there is no variable limit set.
SWMBO reckons she was flashed in that section last night, fair cop the speedo read just over 80 so no complaints, but I always thought that the cameras were only active to enforce lower limits not the 70.
Does anybody know what the policy is, especially as I have read various things about the new M4 ones being "the first time cameras have been used to enforce the 70 limit on a motorway" (apart from the various random white vans that is).
M25 Variable speed limit cameras - Wilco {P}
"Does anyone know if the cameras in the variable speed limit section of the M25 work when there is no variable limit set."

One of the Feds over at Five-0 thinks not. Can't find anything officially documented though.
M25 Variable speed limit cameras - TheGrocer
I and about 20 other drivers were flashed at the Heathrow M25 cameras as the limit went from 60 to 40 in one section! It was like a paparazzi blitz as the cameras went mad flashing everyone(including me)Guess ill just have to wait for the NIP or cross my fingers and hope the filem ran out!
I hate the things on the M25 especially as they keep changing sometimes due to traffic sometimes because they seem to have a mind of their own...Is their some plod having fun with us drivers in the local control centre changing the numbers at random or has the PC controlling them gone mad!!!

\" Keep doing the same old thing, youll get the same old thing, try something different today!\"
M25 Variable speed limit cameras - chris_w
My house mate drives from the Heathrow Junction down to the M23 every day and sits at about 85 - 90 and in a year and a half has not had a ticket.

On another note, I saw a hi-top green Transit on the side of a dual carriage way near Slough last week - had the 2 little windows at the top of it with lenses visible inside - wondered if they were either speed cameras or ANPR cameras, which I've read have been deployed locally. Anyone seen one of these or know what they are?
Interesting bit of kit... - Robin Reliant
Those who like to "make progress" might be interested in this. I wonder what the legal position is?

www.speedflip.com/car.html
Interesting bit of kit... - Imagos
I'd say highly illegal, and has been done before as Mr Bonds Aston in Goldfinger.
Interesting bit of kit... - Robin Reliant
I don't know of any regulation that says the plate must be attached so that it cannot be moved. It would obviously be illegal to use it, but is there a law you could be prosecuted under for just having it?

I wouldn't bother myself, but it would interest a lot of people and the firm seems to be able to advertise it without any problems.
Interesting bit of kit... - BazzaBear {P}
I know of someone who had an 'underslung' front number plate, if you see what I mean.
He changed the attachment slightly so it was on well greased hinges, meaning if he was at anything above about 50mph the wind would swing up to an angle where it couldn't be seen.

Shame (for him at least) that most cameras take piccies from the back really.

I reckon they could probably get you with a 'pervert the course of justice' charge. I would have thought a decent lawyer wouldn't have difficulty arguing that the fact you'd fitted it to your car showed intent to use.
Interesting bit of kit... - Onetap
The firm seems to be able to advertise it because it's on the internet, it's a dot.com URL (US Based?) and/or they're not committing an offence by advertising it.

I'm quite certain that, if you should be caught with one, the BiB would find something in the construction and use rules that apply to this in a very short time. They'll probably find a few other illegal defects whilst going to the trouble.

There was someone caught with a similar device, that obscured the rear number plate, a few years back. I think it was a glass plate that was only transparent whilst an electric current was passed through it; this stuff does exist. The current was switched off on approach to a speed camera. He was convicted; I think there was a backlog of speeding tickets as well.
Interesting bit of kit... - VTiredeyes
a ripe search finds it not linked to anyone
%ERROR:101: no entries found
%
% No entries found in the selected source(s).

one of my mates had the same setup on his motorbike 15 years a go. the bottem was hinged and the top was attached to a choke cable. when he pushed the choke in the number plate would move to a horizontal position. pull the choke out and it moved back up. clever idea. he never got caught, he just grew up, and got a faster bike.
Interesting bit of kit... - Altea Ego
A few cars in the past (ford consol?) had the petrol filler cap behined the number plate, which flipped down for filling (and stayed down till you fliped it up)

So I am not sure there is anything in C&U regs to say it cant be mounted on something moveable.

If plod find you with one that has a flip control from the drivers seat then yes they could do you for attempting to pervert course of justice.
Interesting bit of kit... - Clanger
www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/regmarks/reg_marks_curren...f

"A number plate must be displayed at the front and rear of motor vehicles (with some exceptions). "

Clear enough; if the number plate isn't being displayed, an offence is being committed. In this context, folding down the number plate so that is visible to the vole you nearly ran over doesn't count as "displaying".

[ramble mode] Mum used to have a Mini (Morris Mini Minor, to give it its full title) which had a boot lid that folded down along the bottom edge to accommodate a reasonably sized suitcase. The number plate was top-hinged so that you could fold it down and display the registration correctly. My Citroen DS Familiale had 2 rear number plates set at right angles to allow the tailgate to be folded open for the same reason.[/ramble mode]
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Interesting bit of kit... - midlifecrisis
I stopped a motorbike fitted with a rear plate hinged in the middle recently. Guy pressed a button and a little motor folded it up. It was quite a neat arrangement, it was even better when he activated it in front of my unmarked car as he approached a camera. Funny thing was, he wasn't speeding. You win some, you lose some!!
And what did you do him for MLC?
Interesting bit of kit... - Aprilia
These have been around for about 20 years to my knowledge.
Interesting bit of kit... - BobbyG
Surely if you have the "sense and awareness" about you to press a lever when you see a speed camera, you could just as easily press the brakes?

Radical and old-fashioned I know :)
Interesting bit of kit... - Sofa Spud
Surely it's easier to obey the speed limit than to go to the trouble of fitting a Speedflip. And if you come across a camera you didn't realise was there, well you'd forget to operate the Speedflip anyway. And of course, the speedflip might fail to work or get stuck in the down position. So you really need a detector as well as the Speedflip, which together would cost as much as a speeding fine anyway! I think it's better to be a bit of a Highway Code fundamentalist, personally.

Cheers, Sofa Spud

Interesting bit of kit... - Garethj
I think it's better to be a bit of a Highway Code fundamentalist, personally.

But this bloke is selling a product to people without enough sense - last time I looked that's a huge potential market!

He's probably keeping an eye on the auction from his yacht moored in Monte Carlo
"I think it's better to be a bit of a Highway Code fundamentalist, personally"

Is that the same as a Motorway Mullah?
Interesting bit of kit... - Alfafan {P}
An equally novel idea I saw this morningn on the A23; a Porsche 911 Carrera with no rear plate at all. He wasn't hammering, but going fast enough to have activated the rear spoiler.
Now here's a way to make - malteser
Iy you read this article in the Daily Telegraph today, you may or may not be surprised at the sums involved!

tinyurl.com/5uly9

Eye watering, I call it! -- Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)

Now here's a way to make - BazzaBear {P}
If you're referring to the scamera, I was particularly impressed by the quote from a spokesperson for the partnership who is 'disappointed' that so many people in the county speed.
Yes. I'm always 'disappointed' when people give me money. I wonder if they were able to keep a straight face when they gave that quote?
Now here's a way to make - cockle {P}
Vairy interesting!
I wonder what makes Sussex different to Essex?
Our local evening paper has been trying to get similar details from Essex, how many tickets per camera site, etc. So far Essex partnership has been remarkably coy on the subject and has divulged little other than the totals for the county. Paper has even tried under the Freedom of Information legislation but have been refused. Perhaps it's the fact that the local paper was musing whether or not certain cameras were actually catching anyone anymore and whether there was a direct relationship between speed and accidents at camera sites or not.

Cockle
Now here's a way to make - David Horn
To be fair to the whole "scamera" issue, you might well get to your destination moaning about how many times your nearly got caught, how slow you ended up going, etc. etc, but you do realise that you kept your speed on or under the limit.

With all due respect to the advanced drivers who believe they can set their own limits, if we didn't speed then the cameras wouldn't work.
Inforad speed camera detectors - Uncles
Has anyone tried the £79.99 Inforad speed camera detector?
Inforad speed camera detectors - Dynamic Dave

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=30133&...e

Inforad speed camera detectors - martint123
That link is not much good as no one seems to have bought one. I suppose in pedant mode it could answer the original question as 'no'.

Inforad speed camera detectors - Brad
Yes I bought one.

Good points. It worked in 3 minutes plugged into cigar lighter socket. It gave visible and audible warning of speed cameras on the route home. I registered it via the net in 3 minutes and downloaded the 25th April update easily. Free updates for a year then one lifetime payment of £49 for lifetime updates. Promises to know the location of 118,000 cameras in the uk.

Bad points. It took a trip down the MI for 150 miles and warned me of quite a few non existent cameras on the MI. These were at major junctions so I imagine the cameras were on roads that cross the MI. This can be modified as the expert user can modify the settings for how far in advance the device warns you of a camera. I've already moved the post camera setting from over 200 yds down to 50. It arrives with very generous warning distances. It also failed to warn of a camera in the next town that I saw myself and have known about for some months. No idea why.

Not yet sure points. Still evaluating it (only 5 days) but it does do what it says and I think it's legal. Probably won't do mobile cameras (in fact definitely won't do these) but any reasonable driver should be able to read road signs and adjust speed without one of these. However there are times when you don't see the sign if it's obscured or (shock horror) someone tries to operate a camera sneakily so it may save you a fine and some points.

I drive 25K a year often on business and if it can save me the points it keeps me on the road and earning money.

Major update after a month. So far I think it's cheap compared to other brands and I reckon lawful and therefore a 'good thing'
PS Other bad point. There needs to be a user group or bulletin board to enable it people to share experiences. The website doesn't have this. Maybe it exists somewhere but don't know where.
Inforad speed camera detectors - storme
it also has a facility for the user to input gps positions of known local mobile cameras you know the ones,,,,the ones where they always put them,,waiting for that day that you 4get its there,,then u get done..
and then this info is put on the main database for them to check it out ..then if they prove its true they will make it accessible to any1 who downloads the latest info..
--
www.storme.co.uk
Inforad speed camera detectors - buzbee
Infrared!
Inforad speed camera detectors - buzbee
Got it! Info on rad ars.
Inforad speed camera detectors - Altea Ego
"It also failed to warn of a camera in the next town that I saw myself and have known about for some months. No idea why."

That to me is a very good reason why it is positively dangerous to your license.
Inforad speed camera detectors - Armitage Shanks {p}
The cheap price is probably due to the fact that they don't have full time teams of people going round the country checking camera sites. Origin has a facility where you note a camera position, if you pass one not in their database, and when you next go on line to update you automatically pass them that information. A speed camera detector with an incomplete/inaccurate data base doesn't sound very useful to me. I know where the cameras are in my area and I want to know, for 100% certain. where they are when I go off on unfamiliar roads.
inforad has same facility but they are very new to the business and not sure what market share they have. It took me some weeks to find a stockist. I think their distribution is stillslow.
If as reported above is true - then.

There is no excuse for Inforad to have missed off a camera that has been there for some time.

If they were the first on the scene with this product, if the camera was very new or moved then they are mitigating factors that the "report back" function is designed to rectify.

They are entering a crowded market with established other vendors and a well known and public domain database to use. It seems to me that cost has cut down the admin function required for this type of service to work to the level where I personally would find worrying.

If anything - its worse than not having the unit at all.
Inforad speed camera detectors - Armitage Shanks {p}
Weekend papers reported that the next issue of the AA road map of UK is going to have locations of fixed and known mobile camera sites printed on the maps. Not useful when driving but helpful when planning a route - be aware or avoid.
I've added the 'not detected' camera to the database and it now warns me of a 'potential' camera. Better than nowt. The camera in question is not a Gatso. It is situated at traffic lights, has two circular lenses and that's all, is painted bright yellow to look like a Gatso but I suspect it isn't there to detect speed. Possible amber gamblers and the authorities have taken the chance to make it look like a speed camera. I could ring the Council and ask...
Inforad speed camera detectors - Adam {P}
It's a red light camera - not meant to "look" like anything. You jump through on red, and you get flashed. Most around here are yellow now.

--
Adam
"It's a red light camera"

In that case, I take back all my previous comments.

Mind you - someone who cant tell a red light camera from a speed camera needs all the help they can get ( TIC ;) )