1997 Passat - Water problems! - Wee Willie Winkie
My 1997 Passat has picked up an annoying problem. After a rainy period, I can hear water sloshing around somewhere near the nsf wheel. If I turn right, water gushes out of the wheelarch and ends up over the bottom of the a-pillar. This in turns seems to make its way throught the pollen filter (which does seem to be in place properly) and then through to the passanger footwell, or out of my heater vents!)

I have a feeling this is the cause of the failing of the heater blower motor a couple of months ago, and the last thing I want is to spend another £260 replacing another cooked motor!!

Before I take the car to my local mechanic, does anyone have any ideas as to why this water is collecting, and where? I've looked before driving but can't see...

Cheers,

DB
1997 Passat - Water problems! - Negger
HI, My Passat is a 95 model, but I would check the plenum chamber, there should be drain holes at either side, these tend to get clogged with old leaves & assorted detritus. You may have to poke around a bit to find the drains. Lift the bonnet, to the rear of the engine bay, possibly covered with a flimsy plastic moulding, under which is the pollen filter and wiper mechanism.
1997 Passat - Water problems! - Wee Willie Winkie
Thanks - I've cleared a load of gunk out (about 7 years worth by the looks of it) - hopefully that'll make a difference.

DB
1997 Passat - Water problems! - potterer
Hi, I have had the same problem as you and I also have cleared the blockage now and had the pollen filter replaced. How did you get rid of the water in the footwell as this is under the carpet, I have been told it has possibly soaked into the foam. Any ideas?