My nightmare continues - Tony Bee
My wonderful Xantia is to be replaced.
It is 9 and a half years since I bought it and I recall I dithered for weeks then.
This time my dithering will get me hospitalized shortly either as a new medical condition or because my wife has brained me.

So far I have considered C5, C-Max,Picasso, Megane Estate, Scenic, Octavia,Focus Estate, Almera Tino, and Golf.

Now I'm on to Corolla Estate 2.0 TD or a C4 110bhp TD.

Please you guys---any views will be very welcome.

Thanks
My nightmare continues - blue_haddock
Have you considered the Corolla Verso instead of a corolla estate? It's a better car and availability will be much better.
My nightmare continues - Adam {P}
That's a pretty broad list. DO you have a reason for needing a Picasso, Tino, C-Max etc?
--
Adam
That is a good question actually.
I don't know if my dithering is making it hard to decide or if the difficulty in deciding is causing my dithering.

I am very worried about making a mistake and getting a lemon (I don't mean a Citron ).This will be my first ever new car--unless I can find exactly what I want at 6 months old of course.
There are so many good cars I just can't decide.
I need something smaller than a xantia (width is of great importance-I have very difficult access) I wantTurbo Diesel,A car for locl running about but a car capable of swallowing amazing amounts of stuff (like a xantia ) and with little or no preparation setting off to go 1200 miles to the south of Spain and back up to 5 times a year .
That is the life my xantia has had.
Obviously a down size will not hold what a Xantia will so an estate seems an idea.
I do 600 miles in 8 or 9 hours in the Xantia and have no aches and pains. I can't see that in a Focus with that 3 inch gap in the seat when I adjusted it to my liking.
Above all I want the sort of incredible reliability the Xantia has given. And at least as good economy --44 mpg.

So --anyone own a corolla estate ?
Now lets have a look at a Verso.
Good grief !! A verso--no thanks. I'd rather have a Berlingo. And it only does a 1.4 engine. Can't see it doing a trans-continental with much pleasure.
Shudder. But thanks for the input.Sincerely.
My nightmare continues - Malcolm_L
Skoda Fabia estate is worth considering.
Certainly meets the width criteria and the loadbay is huge for the size of car - can't comment on the seats though.

Good choice of diesel engines with good economy.
My nightmare continues - Robin Reliant
This could turn into another 100 posts of;

Buy this
No, buy that, this is rubbish
That? Are you crazy...

All else being equal, get what is most pleasing on the eye and make up your mind you are going to like it whether you like it or not. Keeping it for almost ten years is going to knock depreciation out of the equation, whatever you choose.

Excelent points.
The Xantia was IIRC over 17000 quid new ten years ago.
I paid less at 6 months old.
So even allowing for today's better value the thing had some quality in it at that price. Hence it has done ten almost faultless years (until niggles recently).

What in my list of smaller cheaper cars will likely last so well ?
My nightmare continues - Pugugly {P}
Anything Japanese.
My nightmare continues - blue_haddock
Tony - it sounds as if you've looked at the Yaris Verso in which the biggest engine is the 1.4 D4D, the corolla verso has a 2.0 D4D and a lot more space.

It also gets a good write up in CBC breakdown and in reviews

www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=142
Ah so.
What Jap has the PSA /Ford TD ?

Just had a look at the Peugeot website. Useless. Went round in circles . That's a really good impression. What are their cars like ?

What's wrong with the Meriva ?

Looks very nice.

I can see it being a Skoda Estate next.

Or a Mazda 6 estate. Stunning.
My nightmare continues - peterb
Don't get anxious.

It's easy in this situation to be paralysed by fear that one "could have done better". Far better to pick something you're happy with and enjoy driving it.

Most cars today are very good by any reasonable standard. Don't be worried, be happy!
My nightmare continues - PhilW
"I'd rather have a Berlingo"
Have you tried one? I know it's not the same as a Xantia (my wife has a Xantia HDi Exclusive) but the new ones are not only cheap but also have the HDi 90 engine which goes pretty well in a lighter car. I find it different but just as comfortable as the Xantia and these days prefer the easier getting in and out and the more upright seating position - have not gone as far as you but have done Midlands to Mt St Michel in one go with four up and no-one complained. It seats 5 easily all with 3 point belts and now has all that A/C, ABS/EBD and all those other initial things. The boot is much more capacious than the Xantia (much deeper) and of course, if you are only 2 up and back seats down you could move house with it. Fuel economy may be slightly down on a Xantia because of the brick like aerodynamics but on a long run I get just over 50 mpg cruising at 80 (French motorways of course!)
I know some will say it's cheap and nasty, based on a van, it's not Japanese etc but it may be just what you are looking for!
Sorry if I caused offence.I would'nt have a Berlingo but I'd rather have one than a Yaris Verso.

Now this here Corolla Verso looks like it might do.

Most impressive in print. Will have to take a proper look.

Many thanks.
My nightmare continues - Blue {P}
We rented one to do a 400 mile run in and I would give it an average verdict.

I have to confess that I didn't drive it, I just sat in the back, where I found that the seat base wasn't really deep anough for my liking and I was sat too high, although the seat adjusted about a million different ways which was good.

My dad who did a lot of the driving complained of an aching back after a while, although maybe if we had been in a nicer model it mightn't have been so bad, ours was a base model with no lumbar support etc.

From what I have seen it's not a bad car, but I found myself a bit less comfortable in it than I am in the back of a C-Max.

Blue
My nightmare continues - NowWheels
Tony Bee, have you considered a Focus C-Max?

They get good reviews, and the diesel with CVT sounds very tasty -- highly economical, yet v good to drive. It gets great reviews, and seems to be available at huge discounts
My nightmare continues - tyro
Tony

I'm curious. Have you actually tried out these cars that you are considering? (If so, what did you think?)
I've sat in them, except the Corolla Verso

I DETEST test drives. I feel under pressure to get on with the job when i could spend 15 minutes adjusting everything and then I feel obligated to humour the salesman because I've wasted his time. I hate it. What i do (not very often--the Xantia has lived with us for 9 and a half years ) is study everything I can, ask everyone I can think of, make a shortlist, spend hours in the showroom looking at everything I can get to , whittle it down to 2 or 3 , agonize some more, then maybe test drive 2 on my list and decide.

My first Accord had a ten minute test, the second Accord (later model ) had no test at all, and the Xantia I went round the block.

I wish I had the bottle to demand a 24 hour loan -never been offered one !
Any advice on this aspect of the business ?
(The comments on the Corolla were a bit negative. Anyone out there actually drive one ?)
My nightmare continues - Happy Blue!
I have certainly never had a problem asking for a 24hr test drive. Just ask - they can only say no. If you are buying a new car that is likely to cost at least £15,000, then find the dealer who will accommodate you. All the cars mentioned are good, so choose from those which you have had a proper drive.

I rejected a Volvo S60 because of the test drive but bought a S80 instead - the dealer made more money!

Also, listen carefully to HJ. He knows his stuff and if he says the PSA/Ford HDi/TDCi is the best then choose a car with that engine.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
I'm dead certain HJ is right about the PSA/Ford engine. Everyone says the same.
But the Toyota engine is not exactly a box of bolt is it ?
I've read it described as "very very good indeed- an under-rated gem"(can't find the quote now !!)
For some reason I didn't like the C-Max.
I'll have another look.
I'm attracted to Toyota reliability now I think about it. (These Turkish cars are pretty good you know (gulp)) Skoda is high on my list as well.
Which is the best PSA/Ford engined package ?
Many thanks.
My nightmare continues - MichaelR
Have you thought about a Mondeo?

I upgraded from my also excellent M reg Xantia to a Mk2 Mondeo and was very satisified. Miss the suspension, though.
My nightmare continues - tyro
Tony

Seems to me that your priorities are:

1) Reliability -
Any of the cars could be as reliable as your trusty Xantia, (or not, if you are very unlucky). Your best bets will be the Toyotas, Mazdas and Nissans - though Skoda and Ford should be almost as safe - imho)

2) Width
The statistics are in most of the car mags - (though some include wing mirrors, some don't, which makes it confusing). Or you can just take a tape measure down to the showroom. But of the cars you mention, Skoda Fabia, & Toyota Corolla are probably the narrowest. (note that new Focus is wider than the outgoing model)

3) Luggage space
Obviously a bit of a trade off with width. You can check statistics in the car mags, but actually looking at the vehicles (with the aid of a tape measure) will tell you whether it's big enough.

4) Fuel economy
All of these cars in turbo-deisel form should get over 44 mpg - though the best are likely to be the Picasso or the C-Max with the new PSA/Ford Engine.

5) Whether you personally like the car and find it comfortable.

Personally, I reckon that if your Toyota dealer can show you a Corolla estate and a Corolla Verso - you should decide which you like better, and test drive it against the Mazda 6 (if it's narrow enough for you) and one other - either the Skoda Fabia estate or the Octavia estate or the Picasso or the C-Max

Hope this helps.

My nightmare continues - Hugo {P}
Have you thought about a decent SUV?

Ones such as the Freelander can give as much space as the Picasso. Although you pay extra for that 4 wheel drive. you get a much more versatile vehicle, which you can if you like fit loads of extras to.

Hugo
My nightmare continues - AdyBeee
Tony Bee,
maybe you should be more like me. When I buy things like a house or a car, I tend to be an impulsive buyer. If I like the way it looks ( in a house ), or the way it accelerates 'and' looks ( in a car ), I'll have it. I've never had a bad buy yet, apart from the 1.7L Diesel Corsa I bought. This car didn't have the power to overtake a Forklift let alone an artic tanking along at 56MPH.
The odd thing is though, when it comes to buying a loaf of bread I find myself pondering over the cost of 50p or 86p.
The car I have now was a spur of the moment buy, as per the norm, and is running like a dream. Dohh, shouldn't have said that. Touch wood.

AdyBee...