BMW330Diesel Sport Versus Merc270Diesel - TheGrocer
Help
Im about to choose a company car and I am looking at a BMW 330DieselSport on a 2003 plate or a Merc E Class 270Diesel Avant Garde on a 2003 plate. I love the drive on the e class but concerned at the complicated electrical problems I have heard about with the car. The 330 is a dream and flys like poo off a shovel with handling to match. The space is great on the merc but its a big car. Im torn what do I do???
BMW330Diesel Sport Versus Merc270Diesel - Peter S
Both very different cars - the Merc is much bigger than the BMW so if you carry passengers in the back regularly definitely go for the E270. I would think an '03 car would still be under warranty, so wouldn't worry about the electrical system. I've done 25,000 miles in my '04 E270 Avantgarde (estate) with no problems, though the build quality is not what you'd expect in a near £40k car (coming from an Audi costing almost half this amount this is disappointing). Colleagues at work with E270s ranging from '02 to date have also had no problems.

Emissions are fairly similar, from a company car tax perspective, but don't expect much more than 33mpg average for the Merc, assuming its an auto box, and think of it more as a cruiser. If this suits your driving style then it will be the best choice. If you try and thrash it it'll move, but the handling is very disappointing compared to the BMW on 'B' and minor roads - as you say it's a big car (knocking on 1900Kg in estate form...)

In summary, if you want a large, comfortable car go for the Merc, if you want a sportier drive take the BMW.

Hope this helps

Peter
BMW330Diesel Sport Versus Merc270Diesel - Bagpuss
If you need to carry passengers in the back, you'll need the E-Class. I had a Touring as a rental car and with myself (6'2") in the driver's seat and a similarly tall colleague in the passenger seat the car effectively became a 4 door 2 seater. Also, the boot in the touring is smaller than the saloon or coupe. If space is less of an issue than driving enjoyment I'd take the 330, it's simply the best handling mid size car you can buy - amazing to think it's 7 years old.
BMW330Diesel Sport Versus Merc270Diesel - Pugugly {P}
BMW.
BMW330Diesel Sport Versus Merc270Diesel - cheddar
If BMW I would go for the touring though I would look at a C-Class C270 estate, you would get a fully loaded one with v low mileage, very practical, far better image than the BMW, not sure how old you are etc though the E-Class is a bit of a mid 50's solicitors car, albiet great to drive.
BMW330Diesel Sport Versus Merc270Diesel - Martin Sweeney
I find the BMW sport spec a very uncomfortable ride and for me is a no-goer for long runs, but it's a lot more fun than the E-class on empty a-roads. The earlier posts are right about the space in the 3-series. The touring gives even less boot space than the saloon with seats up. If you had the option of an 530d SE that would be the best of both worlds.
Thanks to you all for the feedback
Im off to try an pick up a 320diesel Sport on a March 2004 plate with 9k on the clock for 22K
Plus the free servicing package across 60,000 miles or 5 years!! WOW.
BMW330Diesel Sport Versus Merc270Diesel - Dude - {P}
You will find the 320d a superb machine, I personally prefer the non sport supension with the SE spec, but What Car have just awarded the 320dES their diesel car of the year for the second year running. They cite "the 150 bhp engine is one of the most free revving turbodiesels ever built and the six speed manual gearbox has a machined precision that ensures every shift is a treat".

You will find that the engine does not fully free up until it has covered 15k miles, after which few petrol 2 litre cars can stay with it. If you enjoy driving, you will enjoy every mile - Good Luck.
BMW330Diesel Sport Versus Merc270Diesel - Humpy
I took delivery of a 320d SE touring on tuesday and I am converted. I always swore out of a reverse snobbery that I'd never have a BMW but the low lease cost and emissions won me over.

What a fantastic car. I've had new vectras and mondeos as hire cars but this blows them away. It's now done 1000 miles and it has loosened up considerably in the last 500 miles. I have also has the E270d saloon as a hire car in France and it is such a sloth. Perhpas more comfortable, it was the elegance version, but a totally different car. If you are considering the choice between these two vehicles it'll be easy because they are so totally different. Don't forget the 330d is 6 cyl and the merc is 5 cyl. The merc sounded like a diesel taxi to me frankly whereas even the BMW 320d sounds sporty and exciting.
BMW330Diesel Sport Versus Merc270Diesel - Humpy
Oh, forgot to say that te SE suspension is hard enough. I followed a 330 coupe sport on the M40 the other day and it was bouncing around like a ping pong ball - I was pleased with my choice.
BMW330Diesel Sport Versus Merc270Diesel - Pezzer
Dude, if you get a chance try the 163 bhp engine in the 120d it is even better. I know that the 1 is not to everybody's taste but the new engine is much smoother, with less clatter and less vibration straight out of the box - 500 miles on mine so far.
4th is an absolutely stunning gear and even in 6th it pulls really well.
BMW330Diesel Sport Versus Merc270Diesel - Hull4000
OK as long as you have a large enough brown paper bag to hide it
OK Guys, The decision is made. The merc dealer was so rude during the negotiatioons on the E270 that I walked out. Has anyone else noticed the Merc dealers attitude stinks?

I have now laid out a dposit on a 320 Diesel Sport 2004 with 9k on the clock for 22k. I love the firm sport set up and it handles like a car should, responsive, firm and connected to the driver. What an engine, it goes so well and the sweet 6 shift box is a beauty. The 60,000 mile free serviceing is rather nice too!!
BMW330Diesel Sport Versus Merc270Diesel - Dude - {P}
The Grocer
You will not regret your decision, every journey becomes special and a sheer joy, - that is if you live in a rural location away from the urban snarl up.

I forgot to include What Car`s closing statement in my earlier thread on their appraisal of the 320dES, when they concluded "Whichever way you cut it, there`s no better diesel car on sale in Britain today", sentiments I fully endorse. You will not regret your decision but just remember to let your turbo spool down after a long motor-way thrash to protect the turbo bearings.
BMW330Diesel Sport Versus Merc270Diesel - Pugugly {P}
You will love it. Welcome to the world of rear wheel drive fun. Brilliant car.
BMW330Diesel Sport Versus Merc270Diesel - tack
If you had gone for a new merc (which I have)I got a free upgrade from the E220CDI to E270CDI, AND £2000 towards the purchase price from Mercedes AND negotiated a 4% dealer discount AND £300 worth of body care. That is through Mercedes (London)