New car, tax, insurance cert - runboy
I?m hoping to pick up my new car on Saturday, but for the dealer to tax it he needs an insurance certificate or cover note. My insurer said it will not fax such a document to the dealer, and that?s the law.

Is it? Bit of a devil if I needed a replacement car quickly due to a crash or suchlike-I?d have to wait for snailmail to deliver!

Any comments?
New car, tax, insurance cert - Pugugly {P}
First Class Post still works in some areas.
Well not here, otherwise I'd have my sticky little mits on a insurance cert. £1m a day profit was it, the post office making now?
New car, tax, insurance cert - Mark (RLBS)
>>My insurer said it will not fax such a document to the dealer, and that?s the law.

You're insurer is talking out of something not designed for the purpose. You can fax it, paint it, pigeon post it, make a paper airplane out of it and throw it. There is nothing in the law about it at all.

Unfortunately, for your purposes, you can't tax the vehicle with anything other than an original.

Can't you pick one up ? Or at the least get them to post it direct to the garage,
New car, tax, insurance cert - blue_haddock
Unfortunately, for your purposes, you can't tax the vehicle with anything other than an original.

oops - can't you? most dealers tax in-house and only a photocopy of the insurance goes off to the DVLA - they don't need to know it's a photocopy of a fax!

Some insurance companies will not do anything apart from send it directly to the customer, some will post us a copy directly and some will fax us a copy. The normal reason given for not faxing it is that "it's a legal document so we can't"
New car, tax, insurance cert - Mark (RLBS)
well, "can" or "cannot", you're certainly not supposed to.
New car, tax, insurance cert - martint123
oops - can't you? most dealers tax in-house and only a
photocopy of the insurance goes off to the DVLA - they
don't need to know it's a photocopy of a fax!

What do they send to the dvla?? Tax it at a postoffice and allthey need is sight of and original certificate/cover note - no sending anything off.

Martin
we have to send off a copy of the insurance certificate/cover note as proof that we have seen the insurance - we no longer go down and stand in line at the post office!
New car, tax, insurance cert - Dynamic Dave
I?m hoping to pick up my new car on Saturday, but
for the dealer to tax it he needs an insurance certificate
or cover note. My insurer said it will not fax such
a document to the dealer, and that?s the law.
Is it? Bit of a devil if I needed a replacement
car quickly due to a crash or suchlike-I?d have to wait
for snailmail to deliver!
Any comments?

Who's your insurer?
From past experience on at least 3 occasions, providing I'd phoned Direct line before 2pm, the insurance certificate was always delivered to the dealer the very next day.
I'm with Egg, although it isn't actually Egg itselfy, more a lesser-known insurance company who supplies the insurance with an Egg brand on it.

It may be in the post today, but as we don't get our post until lunchtime, I'll have to wait and see!
Yep Direct line are one of the best/easiest to deal with, the worst probably being churchill
Phoned the insurance company to see if they would fax something over to the dealer-best they would do was to confirm the car is insured via fax. Whilst I was talking to them I checked the details of the new car again, just to be 100% certain they had it correct (I had already checked twice before).

The twits had it down as a diesel, not petrol. You can't even get a diesel automatic in the model I am buying! Grrrrrrr. Thankfully the insurance cert they have sent out doesn't go into too much detail of the car so that won't stop the taxing.

Oh well, heres hoping to Saturday!
New car, tax, insurance cert - SlidingPillar
Last time I bought a new car, NFU mutual could not have been more helpful. They rang the dealer to make sure they had all the details, and sent them the certificate for me.

I merely picked the car up along with the certificate.
New car, tax, insurance cert - Hugo {P}
My company Norwich Union offered me the option of special delivery for and extra £5. I took it.

I had the cert delivered straight to me and took it to the dealer. They would have sent it straight there but I was concerned about the post arriving before anyone was there.

H