Mercedes 208D Rattle - merlinauto
I have an M-reg Mercedes 208D van (last one before the Sprinters)with a 2.3 litre 4-cyl diesel engine (engine code 601?). 120 k miles.

It has an intermittant knock/rattle which sounds like either a lazy tappet or lazy timing chain tensioner. The fault can occur when cold, part warmed-up or at normal temperature and can occur while at tick-over or mid range engine speeds (don't hear it at high engine speeds but that may just be due to the high general noise level). Fault lasts for a few minutes and then goes. Once clear, the engines sounds very sweet.

The engine suffered from a worn timing chain (typical timing chain slap sound) which I replaced (chain only) about 5k miles ago. The current fault started about 1k miles ago.

The engine otherwise runs very well. Starts at the first touch of the key (hot or cold), does not smoke and gives around 32mpg. It has an oil leak form the rhs of the head gasket which I am told is a common fault.

Does anyone have any experience of these engines or know of any common faults which might give these symptoms?
By the way, I forgot to mention that this is the same engine as fitted to a number of Mercedes car models during the 80's and early 90's.
Mercedes 208D Rattle - Aprilia
If you only replaced the chain it could be a worn tensioner and/or sprockets being responsible for the noise.
Wouldn't this give a constant knocking noise rather than one which is intermittant?
Mercedes 208D Rattle - Aprilia
In theory *any* knocking from an engine should be regular rather than intermittant because the engine is operating cyclically. However, we've all heard tappets, timing chains etc. that knock for a few seconds every now and again when circumstances are 'just so'. Without hearing the noise it is difficult to comment. If I had the vehicle were here I would take out my trusty 'mechanic's stethoscope' and have a listen around the engine.
Mercedes 208D Rattle - eurocourier
The 410D's we used to run had noisy hydraulic tappets: a rev-related tapping which would disappear with a blip of the throttle. Very reliable though: two that did over 400,000 miles each with only a timing chain and a prop uj in addition to routine maintainence.