Parking ticket question - CM
Can I charge the council for my time in contesting a ticket given to me (or rather SWMBO)?

We had our Blue Badge and clock on display parked on double yellows outside the house. The Blue Badge book says that we can park on doubles for 3 hours except where there is a ban (which there is not).

The wife saw the little Hitler putting the ticket on the car and went out and pointed out that there was a valid Blue Badge on show. The reply was that he didn't bother looking at Badges and clocks etc...

BTW the lines are also illegal. They came and painted the singles up to doubles when there was a car parked there so obviously couldn't. Therefore there is half a double and half single with no yellow line finishing off the double yellows.

Rant over but would like to know if I can recoup money for the time spent contesting.
Parking ticket question - frostbite
Sounds like a prime candidate for redeployment!

Dubious about getting compensation from the council, but worth a try.

Two eyewitness accounts of an accident can make you wonder about history.
just written my letter and put in for £20 :-)

Might send it off tomorrow.
Parking ticket question - Altea Ego
Well for a start, you cant claim for compensation UNLESS you WIN the appeal.

Only at that point are you into "If I dont ask I wont get territory" and consider asking for expenses.
Parking ticket question - Pugugly {P}
I think it is a fair question to ask even you haven't yet contested.And I would say yes. Get photos of the lines, Include details of your blue badge (copies possibly ?) Wham em with a bill for travelling to place of appeal (say at 50p per mile) work out loss of earnings and any incidental admin costs. Keep it reasonable and itemise your total.
Parking ticket question - Hugo {P}
Never mind the expenses - what on earth is that Traffic Warden doing obtaining wages from the public purse by deception with an attitude problem like that. The little jerk should be shot!

I'm not anti traffic warden in general but this little plonker seems to have some sort of behaviour problem.

I would suggest a letter of complaint to the local police force concerning this attitude.

H
Parking ticket question - LongDriver {P}
*****Deleted*****

Longdriver, if you want to express your views as to why people become traffic wardens, policemen etc, that's fine but please don't do it here. My comments above were directed at the apparent conduct of a particular individual.

People of all walks of life visit this site and I'm not about to allow those with certain occupations either feel or become slated in this way.

Hugo BR Moderator
Now got a reply from the council and am still a little bemused by their attitude as well as the lie in the warden's report.

The council say that the car was causing an obstruction to the free flowing traffic. Now this is 100% residential and not a huge amount of through flowing traffic, so I cannot accept this answer. As many of you will know, in London there are parking bays up to about 10 foot of a corner. My wife's car had its front wheels on the back of the parking bays and the rest on the white lines with about 4 or 5 ft behind her to the curb.

The warden in his report said that he had asked SWMBO to move the car. This is a lie. The first thing my wife knew was that the ticket was on the car and as we all know "I've started writing it, blah blah blah."

If the double white line has not been properly painted, in this case there was a car parked up when they put the lines in so it is only a single line, does this make the line "illegal"?

I think that it comes down to interpretation of obstruction. The Blue Badge handbook says as long as no waiting restrictions and you are not causing an obstruction you can park on doubles.
Just thought that I would update on this which goes back to November. I went to tribunal as the Council weren't playing ball and I managed to get the ticket overturned. The council can't do you for obstruction as only the police can.
Parking ticket question - pmh
But did you get your costs????

Just thought that I would update on this which goes back
to November. I went to tribunal as the Council weren't playing
ball and I managed to get the ticket overturned. The council
can't do you for obstruction as only the police can.

--

pmh (was peter)

Parking ticket question - Bromptonaut
Parking Adjudicators have a limited power to award costs, the regs are as follows:-

12. - (1) The adjudicator shall not normally make an order awarding costs and expenses, but may, subject to paragraph (2), make such an order -

(a) against a party (including an appellant who has withdrawn his appeal or a local authority that has consented to an appeal being allowed) if he is of the opinion that the party has acted frivolously or vexatiously or that his conduct in making, pursuing or resisting an appeal was wholly unreasonable; or

(b) against the local authority, where he considers that the disputed decision was wholly unreasonable.

(2) An order shall not be made under paragraph (1) against a party unless that party has been given an opportunity of making representations against the making of the order.

Would be interested to know how far the OP got in claiming them here.

Parking ticket question - keo-the-dog
Parking Adjudicators have a limited power to award costs, the regs
are as follows:-
(b) against the local authority, where he considers that the disputed
decision was wholly unreasonable
Would be interested to know how far the OP got in
claiming them here.

would think you might win that one as stated council cant "do" you for obstruction, they did, i think that might be considered unreasonable. ...cheers...keo.
Parking ticket question - WhiteTruckMan
Think I ought to point out that a blue badge is NOT a licence to park where you please. for instance:If I cant drive a truck down your road because of your car then you are causing an obstruction and deserve to be ticketed.

Before you say whats that got to do with it, how big do you think a fire engine is?

WTM
Parking ticket question - mrkev
It's a pity that the reason council's put new yellow lines or other parking restrictions on these days is to keep the local residents happy by stopping people parking in 'their' space and not for the reasons of keeping the roads free from obstruction.
>>Think I ought to point out that a blue badge is
NOT a licence to park where you please. for instance:If I
cant drive a truck down your road because of your car
then you are causing an obstruction and deserve to be ticketed.
Before you say whats that got to do with it, how
big do you think a fire engine is?
WTM

Thanks for the info!

How big is a fire engine?

Parking ticket question - WhiteTruckMan
How big is a fire engine?

Same width as a truck

WTM