Should I buy a Cat D repaired write off? - Daz
Car in question is an A4 77k 1.9 TDI estate?

Will this affect my insurance etc and in your opinions would this be a good purchase at £2995?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Pugugly on 17/01/2010 at 11:03

Should I buy a Cat D repaired write off? - Aprilia
OK if you intend to keep it a long time - otherwise v. difficult to sell these days.
Hi, why are they difficult to sell? and yes chances are I'd keep the car until it dies unless it proves unreliable.

Should I buy a Cat D repaired write off? - DavidHM
Because people do an HPI check and run a mile from anything that's been written off. This is a car that's been in an accident that meant it couldn't be repaired to the insurance company's standards (meaning professional labour and of course time, with associated hire car costs, as well as quality.)

£2,995 sounds like V-reg or newer money to me, assuming a sub-100k mileage, if it's a Cat D. The reason is that you've virtually got to depreciate it to zero over the first year or two because resale will be very difficult.

How old is it?
It's a 97 P reg with 77k 1.9 tdi a4 estate.
btw it's been repaired and has a years mot
Should I buy a Cat D repaired write off? - trancer
If its already been repaired then you won't know how serious the previous damage was, and if its recently been repaired (new tyres, paint etc) then the long term effects of a shoddy repair won't be known. A front end collision could cause all sorts of problems with suspension, tracking and tyre wear which wouldn't show up until long after you have bought the car. Paint that looks nice and smooth now might look very different a year from now.

1 years MOT says nothing about the condition or roadworthiness of a car. I have only been living in the UK for a year and I already know of two contacts that can get an MOT for any old piece of junk, sight unseen.
Thanks to those that replied, gut feeling now is not to bother so still looking to replace my Omega 2.0 estate!
Should I buy a Cat D repaired write off? - MW
I once bought a 2 year old Passat that HPI said was an insurance write off that had been professionally repaired, and had a £230 insurance industry assessment that said the repair (every specification and distance measured)was perfectly correct.
The car was OK, and I bought it knowing everything with all the paperwork, but the boot was always a bit leeky and the paintwork was OK but not factory fresh. Overall, I would not buy another as it never felt 'right@. It was probably psychological, but that matters.
Should I buy a Cat D repaired write off? - daveyK_UK
repair cat d myself.

when your dealing with hyundais they cant get much more unsafe after an accident as they are before.

brought a cat d hyundai accent mark 3 03 plate 1.3 this week with fornt and near side damage.

got it for 500 quid - had 34k on the clock.

its worth tops - 2,700

with cat d - worth 1350 tops

cost of repiar - im looking at around 600 quid

saved a bit, but no much. plus i trust my own repair work more than others.