SEAT Leon - Martyn
Any horror stories on this? I am about to order a 1.8 SE - no I don't want a CUPRA, well actually I do but I can't justify one! Strikes me that this is the car the Golf should have been.
Re: SEAT Leon - Dave Y
Martyn

I have a 20VT and so far (7months 6000m) I've been delighted with it. Read the review on this site which will warn of potential problems. Someone put up a thread a few days ago complaining of a number of faults which seemed to be mainly electrical - do a search.
Dave
Re: SEAT Leon - Honest John
See car by car breakdown. Can suffer water leaks through the doors. One Telegraph reader has complained about a brake problem that may have been self induced by emergency braking without declutching.

HJ
Re: SEAT Leon - Tim Guymer
Got my 1.6 Leon delivered on Thurs and pretty impressed with it. Roadholding excellent and fuel economy fairish at the moment. Performance seems good but not pushing it as still a couple of hundred miles short of the end of the "run-in period". Having to get used to the rear visibility which due to the shaping of the glass makes the cars behind seem a bit disproportioned! Attitude of SEAT dealers excellent so far. Will get a chance to drive the car properly when I head up to Wales this weekend to watch the Rally! Hoorah!
SEAT Leon - David Lacey
The 180BHP 20VT is a great motor - if a little thirsty!
SEAT seems to have made much more of the 1.8 20VT engine than VW, IMHO.
The handling isn't up to much but there are priorities in life I guess.
Superb seats and a nice cabin are just the start.

David
Re: SEAT Leon - Tim Guymer
Agree with HJ. Handling seems far superior to my Mk2 Golf GTI which although not the best, was seen as a pretty good all round package.
SEAT Leon - David Lacey
But compare the Leon to the MG ZR and ZS models and you will see. Even driven found the handling poor!

D
Re: SEAT Leon - phil
Booo! order a 110TDi instead. You want all that torque under your right foot. Think long term ;)
Hey, David, what do you mean "the handling isn't up to much". The LEON 20VT was the development car for the handling kit now available for Mk IV Golfs. Until the Golf got this kit it was the best two wheel drive VAG car on the Mk VI, A3, Octavia. Toledo, Leon platform. Just remember to turn OFF the traction control.

HJ
Re: SEAT Leon - Martyn
Sorry guys, don't want a diesel - hate the smell, hate the PM that comes out of the back, even the VW one is noisy and vibrates like hell, plus I work for a Swiss company and we have an anti-diesel policy since Geneva introduced its smog clean up policy.
David's right about Driven. Touring Car Champ Jason Potato didn't rate the Leon and that puzzled me for a while. But he could have had a badly set-up Leon with suspension alignment knocked out by the shackles on the car transporter.
My neighbour had the dilemma of Leon 20VT v/s TDI 110. Because he intended to use the car to drive one and a half miles to the station, I told him to get the diesel, which he did, and has had no problems in 9 months ownership.

HJ
Re: SEAT Leon - Martyn
Just drove one - didn't like it - so back to drawing board. Also drove a diesel SE and liked that even less.