I'm a tax dodger. - Rob C
Unfortunately true, as I have received a £40 fine for failing to declare a vehicle.

Many months ago I bought yet another Series III landy, and the MOT ran out end of July, with the VED a month later.
Back in July, en-route to MOT station the clutch failed and I had the vehicle re-covered back to my house. I booked another MOT and clutch repair a week later, and had the garage collect the Landy.

During inspection they discovered the chassis was nearly all ferric oxide. Unable to finance a rebuild, the garage kindly kept the Landy on their premises and sourced a buyer (looking for a project) for me.

All long winded, sorry, but the whole thing took a couple of months, during which time the VED expired but "out of sight, out of mind" I forgot all about it.

Do I have any recourse in that I needed an MOT to get a new VED disc?

...or as I suspect, I should have just SORNed the useless lump.
I'm a tax dodger. - Robin Reliant
Unfortunately Rob, SORN is a no excuses requirement. If the vehicle is not on the road that fact must be declared.

Bad luck, so many forms needed to get through life it is easy to forget just the one.
I suppose I'm just bitter. £40 isn't too bad but I bought the f..f..f...flaming thing for £1200 and have just sold it for £200.
Needless to say, the wife is less than impressed.
I'm a tax dodger. - patently
Needless to say, the wife is less than impressed.

Always the case. Women are rarely impressed by men!
I'm a tax dodger. - Nsar
Particularly when a Series III on the drive is involved...
I'm a tax dodger. - Alyn Beattie
Hi Rob

was it a diesel or petrol? Did it have an overdrive? have you actually sold it?
--
Alyn Beattie

I'm sane, it's the rest of the world that's mad.
Yep, sold it, sorry.

Unless you're going to offer me £2000, I'll go and buy it back.
>>Particularly when a Series III on the drive is involved... <<

I already have one non-functioning SIII on the drive already, two duffers was stretching the envelope.
I'm a tax dodger. - Chicken Madras
A neighbour of SWMBO has an extremely out of date tax disc. It has been of date since those commercials telling us that the DVLA "we can see you anywhere" started. Well, it seems the DVLA can't, otherwise SWMBO's neighbours wouldn't be happily doing the school run every day.

Has SWMBO's neighbours told the DVLA that they've moved in the last 12 months? I doubt it. Do they drive their car along roads where ANPR patrols are likely to be operating? No. Are the local beat bobbies likely to wander up and down the street looking for out of date tax disks? No. The only time you see a policemen there is when a domestic takes off, and then they're not likely to hang around to look at tax discs etc.

One of SWMBO's other neighbours thinks it's ok to drive an uninsured, untaxed and clearly unroadworthy car whilst under the affluence of incahol. If there were more police patrols on the road, this person wouldn't be a danger to others. There are speed cameras on the M25, but not cameras clever enough to spot motorists drinking from cans of Tennents Extra. He drives the car, but his girlfriend is the registered owner despite the fact that she can't drive.

It makes you wonder doesn't it. As a law abiding citizen who pays a small fortune for their Road Fund Licence, Car Insurance, etc, is there a body, such as CrimeStoppers, we can go to, to shop those who wish to flagrantly disgregard the law?
I'm a tax dodger. - No Do$h
is there a body, such as CrimeStoppers, we can
go to, to shop those who wish to flagrantly disgregard the
law?

Yes, it's called crimestoppers.
No Dosh - Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
I'm a tax dodger. - Dalglish
is there a body, such as CrimeStoppers, we can go to, to shop
those ..

>>

yes, the dvla web site has a link for you to report these people.

www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/unlicensed.htm#4

4. How do I report a vehicle that appears to be unlicensed?
If you wish to report a vehicle that appears to be unlicensed, the details should be sent in writing to your nearest DVLA Local Office. This may be done anonymously.

The details must include:

the registration mark;
location of the vehicle;
the make/model, colour;

wherever possible, please provide:
the time it can be seen on the public road;
name and address of the owner;

The information provided can then be used for further investigations by an Inquiry Officer who will make a formal sighting of the vehicle and complete a witness statement.

You may also send the details by

e-mail to unlicensed.use@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

or telephone 0800 032 5202 .

yes, the dvla web site has a link for you to report these
people.

Sadly, that's all it does; allow you to report them. I know; we tried it. The limited parking near our son's former nursery was often filled with untaxed vans & 4x4s painted with the name of a local security company. There would always be at least one there, parked all day despite a 2 hour time limit. These spaces were needed for dropping off at the nursery, parking for the local library, etc.

From time to time, we reported the vehicles to DVLA, to the local council, and to plod. All three expressed great interest and said that they were very interested to know. Note that, however, "The information provided can then be used for further investigations", not "will be used".

Nothing happened. Absolutely nothing. The firm carried on illegally parking its untaxed vehicles. I carried on paying our road tax, insurance, council tax, income tax, and limiting our parking within the posted regulations.

Sucker....
Nothing happened. Absolutely nothing. ...

>>

how long ago was this? was it before or after january 2004 ?

in either case, you gave up too easily.

write to the minister responsible for dvla, and copy to: john prescott, your mp, your local councillor and chief constable.

incidentally - no one "can" give the guarantees implied by "will" that you "might" wish.

how long ago was this?

Mid/late 2003
in either case, you gave up too easily.

I did try three different agencies! In fact, I often chase this type of thing up to higher levels. I didn't have time though - other matters were more pressing.
incidentally - no one "can" give the guarantees implied
by "will" that you "might" wish.

Oh yes. But often "can" is used to imply a stronger meaning than wil in fact be the case.
>> how long ago was this?
>>
Mid/late 2003

>>

to te best of my knowledge, situation since january 2004 has improved and reports are taken more seriously.

for a start, you can now
1. report anonymously
2. use a direct e-mail notification
3. use a freephone number
4. and you do not have to sign a witness statement/form.

so report them. at least you will have done your duty - even if at the end of it all, civil servants fail to act on it.

I'm a tax dodger. - Avant
"A neighbour of SWMBO"....??

Chicken Madras, how come you're obeying someone who doesn't live with you? Maybe if you called yourself Chicken Korma she'd live closer?
I'm a tax dodger. - P 2501
Report him Madras!!!
I'm a tax dodger. - Thommo
A friend of mine has three vehicles in his (big) garage tax/mot expired about 3 years ago. I keep telling him he needs to SORN them, its a problem etc but he just ignores the issue and nothing has happened to date. So far he seems to be right and me wrong. 2 will never see the road again and will likely be scrapped but 1 will likely de done up taxed MOTED and sold, perhaps the issue will come to a head then.
He must be slipping through the system then, or the vehicles are not registered to his address.

I can vouch for the computer based enforcement system working at full efficiency.
I'm a tax dodger. - Thommo
Rob C,

Interesting point, he did move after acquiring these vehicles so they could be registered at his previous address. Maybe the new occupants have not passed on the letters...
I'm a tax dodger. - NowWheels
Maybe if you called yourself Chicken Korma she'd live closer?

If he went a little further and called himself Chicken Tikka Masala, I'm sure he'd be deluged with offers ;-)
I'm a tax dodger. - Sofa Spud
Before the days of SORN, I once traded in a car as a part exchange with a main dealer. Weeks later I receieved a letter saying I owed tax on the car. The new owner had let the tax run out and the garage or DVLA hadn't processed the changes of ownership properly. Anyway, it was all sorted out fairly easily.

Cheers, Sofa Spud
I'm a tax dodger. - martint123
Thommo, sure that it was just three years? only need to sorn if they've been taxed since Jan 1998.

Martin