Calm down dear... - PoloGirl
...I'm really a very good driver!

Well, as we all know, in my recent youth, I wasn't a very good driver, and the time has come to renew the car insurance again.

Last year I think I paid about £800 fully comp, and this year the best the broker can come up with is £760, which I don't think is particularly good as I now have 3 years no claims discount and am practically an old lady (can't wait til I'm 25 and break through the magical young driver barrier!). So I've been doing some research of my own this morning.

The best quote is from the sister company of the one Michael Winner does the stupid adverts for (is that as good as naming it?sorry!). They've quoted me £560 fully comp which is a pretty big difference to the one the broker came up with. The reason it's so low is (I think) that they wouldn't let me tell them about the accident that was my fault in feb 2001 because it was more than three years ago. All the other companies I've tried to get quotes from go back five years, so I have to declare it and it bumps up the quote.

I'm just a bit uneasy about it because it's so much lower than everyone else. Have they made a mistake only asking me to go back three years? I tried to put it in on the website and it told me I couldn't because it was over 3 years ago. Is the five year thing a requirement for all insurers or do they set their own limits?

I guess I just don't want to have to make a claim and for them to say "sorry, you're uninsured because you didn't tell us about that accident" when they wouldn't let me tell them!

Second question is a bit easier I think! I'm temping at the moment in boring office jobs while I freelance and look for a job that is actually something to do with my degree (PR/Marketing). In the occupation question, what should I be putting? Does it make that much of a difference? (I know journalists get higher quotes, and PR is usually in that category.) I've been putting PR, but again don't want them to get awkward if I have to make a claim.

Sorry for the long post, hope someone with a bit more brain will be able to sort me out!

Thanks!

Calm down dear... - Sooty Tailpipes
Do these age barriers really exist or is it a myth?
I have waited for these magical ages, only to be dissappointed, maybe it's because as you get older you tend to drive nicer cars anyway? But even when passing a threshold with the same car, the premium would stay the same or even rise!
Calm down dear... - Stuartli
Calm down dear...:-)

I've been a journalist all my working life and, to the best of my knowledge, it has never affected the level of premiums I've paid for car insurance.

As for the three year ruling re acccidents you mention, presumably the insurance company concerned feels that if you haven't had an accident in that time you are a more acceptable risk.

Just be grateful that you found a company that has a more level headed approach to the subject - even the best drivers in the world can have a bump.

One instance is the TV series featuring South Yorkshire traffic cops and the officer who had never even scratched a police vehicle in XX number of years being involved in pursuits.

Shortly after we had learned this information he came to a sudden stop against the rear bumper of one of his colleague's police cars...:-)

Somewhat embarrassing and all captured on video.
Calm down dear... - Sprice
Some go back 3 yrs, others 5, typically its 3 yrs though. Try tesco for an online quote, they're very competitive.
Calm down dear... - Stuartli
>>the premium would stay the same or even rise!>>

My DirectLine car insurance, when I switched to the company last year, was £193 fully comp - this yar's renewal figure was £176.
hello mum, i'm not your sister, dummy - Dalglish
pg

q1. as long as you answer the questions asked fully, truthfully, declare all material facts, etc. - you should be ok. if in doubt, phone and ask for guidance from a supervisor/manager and note date/time/names etc. (or better still record it and tell them you are making a recording).

q2. as per q1. ask them how they would class your occupation.

comment - i am surprised that the sister company is giving you a quote for a polo. i thought they were only interested in posh cars. (worth remembering that joanna lumley is advising people that her company can beat the quote from the posh company and you do not need a butler to phone for you) .

Calm down dear - LongDriver {P}
They have Michael Winner and TV adverts to pay for.

Try a mutual: Liverpool Victoria Insurance
Calm down dear - L'escargot
Try CIS.

Straightforward and above board. No hanky panky. Same rules apply no matter who you are. No unspecified loadings.
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Calm down dear - Simon
A similar thing occurs with points on your licence. I am in the process of renewing my bike insurance and most brokers/insurance companies ask for motoring convictions in the last five years. But the odd broker/company only count the ones that are still 'in date' on your licence, ie if they have served their time (3 or 4 years, whatever) then they do not want to know about them.
Calm down dear - Stuartli
>>They have Michael Winner and TV adverts to pay for.>>

All insurance companies advertise - it is recouped through tax returns as with any form of advertising.

As for the Michael Winner adverts, they have proved one of the most successful advertising campaigns in the form of new business in recent years.

If I was really pedantic, I could point out in similar vein that the Liverpool Victoria Insurance is owned by its policyholders who share in its surplus earnings.

But the first paragraph above still applies.....:-)
Calm down dear - nortones2
Hmmm. Liverpool Victoria have never given anything fiduciary to us, except messages to see the IFA 'cause now the investments are not so hot. However, I believe they are very competitive on price for motor insurance, but then I'm more like an inverse of 25!.
Calm down dear - Altea Ego
Funny thing is, winner would never get insured by e-sure. They wont offer insurance to those in the film industry.
Calm down dear - PoloGirl
Thanks folks. I think I'm going to go with First Alternative.

Most of the others mentioned in this thread wont even quote me, let alone quote me happy!

Calm down dear - hillman
Have youi tried the one where the recipients of the quotation roll around on the floor screaming?
Calm down dear - Dalglish
Liverpool Victoria ... are very competitive on price for
motor insurance, but then I'm more like an inverse of 25!.

>>

a little off-topic but -

i have now insured 2 cars 3 times over with e-sure, as they were the most competitive by a country mile. i always check with at least 5 different companies before renewing.

my last quoute was £303 with e-sure ( cf. liv-victoria at nearly £500!). so it is horses for course.
Calm down dear - PoloGirl
ok...

Esure - haven't got 4 years no claims so they wont quote.
Privelige - just laughed at me and said I'd be better going somewhere else once we got to the "claims or points in the last 5 years" bit.
Liverpool Victoria - quoted more than the broker.
Norwich Union - wont quote me as I've had more than one loss/claim in the last 3 years.
Direct Line/Tesco - wont quote me. Didn't say why (through confused.com)
More Than - more than the broker!
Kwik Fit - actually quite a good quote, and a kwik fit discount card too.

And those are just the ones I can remember!