Pro-rata Car Insurance anywhere?? - Nix
My parents got a new car. Old car was gonna be scrapped..God know why but I thought it far to good to scrap so invested a little time & money & a new second hand engine fitted later, got it running again. It is now MOT'd and ready to get tax in order to drive/sell.
I already have my own car i drive daily. If I add this 2nd car to my current insurance - is possible for 30 days at a time up to maximum of 90. Fine - but I am told I cannot tax the car as confirmation of insurance letter is not enough - post office need a Certificate of insurance - which I won't be getting as it's only a 30 day added vehicle.
Is there any insurance company which quote for just a 3 month or 6 month contract as I know I won't be keeping the car, just need to tax the thing and let a prospective buyer test drive it.
(I'm thinking now it's getting to the stage I wished i'd let the oldes scrap it !!!)
My second question - as it has had a replacement engine - still a 1.1 so not improved just equal to old one - do the insurance companies need to know this and do i need to quote the engine number?
Pro-rata Car Insurance anywhere?? - Mark (RLBS)
You will still get, and you should insist upon it, at least a cover note.

If you tell them you have replaced the engine then they may well ask for an engineers report. Its marginal and I'm not sure.

I think you need to tell them but it may well cause you trouble.
Pro-rata Car Insurance anywhere?? - Mapmaker
>If you tell them you have replaced the engine then they may well ask for an engineers report. Its marginal and I'm not sure.

If you change the brake pads you don't need to tell them. Nor the exhaust, nor the driveshaft. Nor the passenger door, nor the bonnet. Nor I presume the gearbox - although you could put in a different ratio box (at which point you should tell them). So why the engine? If it's a straight swap, there's no modification?
That's exactly why I said its marginal and I am not sure.

Clearly if it was a different engine it would be neccessary to tell them. But another of the same engines ?

I think that the car has now got a different engine would not bother them per se. However, they would presumably realise that exhausts, brakes, accelerators and other stuff has to be messed about with in order to make that change.

If you told them Ford had done it and sent them the receipt, then I think that they would stop caring. If you told them that you had done it yourself they may well ask for an engineers report to testify that it had been done properly.
>>However, they would presumably realise that exhausts, brakes, accelerators and other stuff has to be messed about with in order to make that change.

So if you take the engine out of your own car to change the clutch & then put it back you might have to get an engineer's (sic) report to make sure you hadn't messed around with the exhausts etc.?

I don't believe anybody would contemplate doing that.

Mapmaker,

I don't know why you're leaping on me over this, I already said I wasn't sure. I was just passing on some thoughts.
sorry! wasn't. I was just thinking aloud - hence a generous splattering of question marks.
This is what Direct Line have to say when asked this question.

Changed engine - straight swap: no issue.

Changed engine for larger engine size: revised premium is function of percentage horsepower increase. No requirement for engineer's report etc.

WARNING! The insurance premium for the modified car (e.g. a 2.6 engine in a 2.0 car) is way way way in excess of the insurance premium for a plain vanilla 2.6 car.
Pro-rata Car Insurance anywhere?? - Bill Payer
You must get some sort of proof on insurance - what would you show the Police it you got stopped?
Pro-rata Car Insurance anywhere?? - Stuartli
You cannot normally cover two vehicles you are personally driving on one insurance policy (only for other drivers). You have to take out a second insurance policy.

So why not take out insurance on the car for 12 months (perhaps Third Party), tax and then sell it as soon as possible?

Make absolutely sure that any potential buyer has their own insurance cover to allow them to drive the vehicle as backup.

Once sold you will be able to cancel your insurance for the remaining period and be repaid the balance of the premium after, perhaps, a small deduction for administrative purposes.
Pro-rata Car Insurance anywhere?? - GroovyChick{P}
Axa direct used to (not sure if they still do) only charge you for the time you had on cover - no admin fees!!

Maybe worth checking it out?

GC
Pro-rata Car Insurance anywhere?? - Stuartli
>>Maybe worth checking it out?>>

You surprise me. One of the reasons I dropped Axa Direct last year, apart from premiums rising higher than obtainable with DirectLine, was the fact that when I changed from a Group 10 Jetta to a Group 6 Bora a year last May, Axa charged me £28 for altering the insurance details; there were just two months of my insurance cover remaining.
Pro-rata Car Insurance anywhere?? - defender
most insurance companies will allow a second motor on for a short time to allow for example a change of vehicle and will issue a cover note for this .I have had a second car on for up to 60 days.dont ever lose sight of the fact that you pay them ,if they dont match your needs then they are no use to you,dont be scared to tell them so and find someone who will look after your best interest.