Car insurance - loopy lou
My colleage at work has a problem. On saturday a mountain bike rider crashed into his staionary vehicle which is a Mitubishi FTO. The cyclist ran away leaving his passenger wing severly dented. His compusory excess is £250 but his insurance company are saying it wil be £450. Is this right. Can you help or advise
Car insurance - BazzaBear {P}
That would depend. Did he agree a £200 voluntary excess when the policy was taken out?
on his policy dicument it states £250 so which type of excess could be costing him £450.
Car insurance - Wee Willie Winkie
A lot of insurance companies impose a compulsory excess for young or inexperienced drivers. This is in addition to any voluntary excess. So, your friend may have agreed to a voluntary excess whilst being bound by the compulsory excess.

The best thing he can do is to call the insurance company again and get them to confirm exactly how the excess is made up.

If the cyclist ran away, does this mean your friend now has possession of said mountain bike? Selling that could net a few quid!! ;-).
i dont think the mountain bike is up to much i think is a bit damaged
Car insurance - Dynamic Dave
i dont think the mountain bike is up to much i
think is a bit damaged

Check the bike to see if the owner had it security marked. You never know, there *might* be a postcode etched into the frame somewhere. However, there is the possibility the owner will claim his bike was stolen and it wasn't him riding it at the time.

Car insurance - Mark (RLBS)
I'm guessing here...

I would think that because of his age and/or the vehicle and/or his claims experience that there is a compulsory excess of £250.

It then sounds like he has a voluntary excess of £200 giving the total of £450.

If that doesn't sound like it then it could be two excesses added together;

Age of driver excess
Vehicle type excess
Voluntary excess
Compulsory excess from claims experience

Or perhaps a special condition such as when unattended not in a garage.

You've obviously got two excesses added together, but other than reading the policy schedule, endorsements and general Ts&Cs its difficult to tell which they are.
Car insurance - Mapmaker
And going by the thread last week on repairing a car, he should look for a good back street repair shop where it won\'t cost him anything like £450 for the repair - particularly when lost NCB & increased premium are brought into the equation.
If he is to get it repaired does anyone know where he can get a Mitubishi FTO N/S front wing. He lives in Leicester