Last night's journey home - PoloGirl
Dear Everyone driving through the midlands last night...

It really is ok to overtake that police car doing 60mph in the inside lane of the M40. They wont arrest you for doing 70mph, or possibly even 80 on a clear dry motorway as it was last night. They're after bigger fish than you. If you've got a guilty conscience, by all means sit behind it while it checks your registration for acting suspiciously and not carrying on with your own journey, but don't hold me up!

And while we're on the subject, that chevron-ed 4x4 on the hard shoulder helping the girl in the corsa change her wheel wasn't even a police car, it was a motorway patrol. So there was no need for you all to slam your brakes on and have a look was there? Hats off to one of the other patrols who was moving people over into the empty inside lane on the M42 as well.

A special mention for that caravan driver that decided to share my lane at the last minute as we joined the A34. I'm sure you think you indicated, perhaps the bulb has gone or something? I assume that was an apologetic wave you gave me as I pointed out that you tried to wipe me off the road - maybe your finger slipped?

Lots of love,

Pologirl.

(That's quite therapeutic actually... I don't get road rage, I just visit the BackRoom!)

Last night's journey home - No Do$h
Are you sure that the bodyshop didn't paint a bullseye on your car, visible only to testosterone-fuelled lunatics?

Glad you made it safely home.
Last night's journey home - Stuartli
>>wasn't even a police car, it was a motorway patrol>>

What's the difference?

>>They wont arrest you for doing 70mph, or possibly even 80 on a clear dry motorway as it was last night.>>

Don't kid yourself too much about the 80 bit as I've known people to be booked for doing 80-85mph speed - however an indicated 80mph on most speedometers is about 71mph..:-)

Don't forget the speed cameras either, especially those on the bridges....

But they won't arrest (or rather book you) for doing 70mph unless the circumstances are such that you shouldn't be doing such a speed in any case, whatever the limit.

However, you've clearly got your wits about you so you should be OK..:-))
>>wasn't even a police car, it was a motorway patrol>>
What's the difference?

We've got Highways Agency motorway patrols being trialled up here (on the midlands bits of the M42 and M40). They've taken over from the police to do things like clearing up after accidents, looking after people stopped on the hard shoulder and generally keeping everything moving smoothly, including moving over middle lane hogging numpties, which has made me smile on more than one occasion recently!

The problem is that they're 4x4s with black and yellow livery, which is very similar to the blue and yellow of the police 4x4s that hang around Warwick services, so I'm sure they've caused a bit of confusion!

Last night's journey home - Stuartli
>>We've got Highways Agency motorway patrols>>

The penny's dropped! But round our way virtually all the police vehicles are chevroned in any case.

Last night's journey home - David Horn
I think a little bit of road rage is a good thing - screaming "You blithering idiot! Blah blah blah!" *insert obscene hand gesture* Blah blah blah!" always makes me feel much better and lets me get my tension out. That way I don't need to tailgate / beat up / crash into the car in question.
Last night's journey home - Mapmaker
I must disagree, as the other driver may see you doing this and take it as an invitation to indulge in tailgating/beating up or crashing.

Personally, I smile broadly and say 'thank you' and hope for their sakes that St Peter will be in a good mood when they turn up early...
Last night's journey home - VTiredeyes
the large 4x4 chevroned motors are up the m6 as well.
they are there like someone said to help people when broken down or anything to help with getting the motorway moving.
but...... they sit in the same laybys as the coppers, so everyone slows down and holds the whole bleep bleep motorway up anyway.
i just smile and tell to go bleep themselves, under my breath.
then when they cant see me, i have a real good shout. it is very theraputic. i must agree. i always wonder if people can hear me shouting in car when u doin 70mph past someone?
Last night's journey home - smokie
PG, obviously your driving skills and awareness have developed since first coming here. I remember you then posted about having had multiple accidents or near misses in a short space of time, and I offended by casting some doubt on the driving ability of someone so accident-prone. I felt a bit bad about it at the time, and I know you were annoyed too.

Not intending to sound patronising, and a little t-i-c, either the Backroom or your advancing years have had a beneficial effect on you :-)

And don't start me off about caravans again!! :-)
PG, obviously your driving skills and awareness have developed since first
coming here. I remember you then posted about having had multiple
accidents or near misses in a short space of time, and
I offended by casting some doubt on the driving ability of
someone so accident-prone.

Heh...maybe I've just learnt not to admit to them any more!?

>>I felt a bit bad about it at
the time, and I know you were annoyed too.

>>

Steady on, that was nearly an apology... from a man! Can someone get me the number of the Guiness book of records? ;-)
Not intending to sound patronising, and a little t-i-c, either the
Backroom or your advancing years have had a beneficial effect on
you :-)

I don't know if it's being here or being hit that has made me more aware - I just keep out of the way of anything bigger than me because I don't want to have to drive another courtesy car, and I want to hold on to my no claims for when I come to insure the Fabia :)

And what do you mean about advancing years?? I'm 21 (again) in September!!