The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 25 - Dynamic Dave

**** THREAD CLOSED, PLEASE CONTINUE DISCUSSION IN

"The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 26" ****

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=25930

For the continued discussion of all things pertaining to Speed Cameras.

This is Volume 25

There is no need to repeat anything since earlier volumes will not be deleted. But then if we only posted original stuff the backroom would grind to a halt in a fortnight.

;o)

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18846

DD.

Flashed from the front - David K
I was recently camera flashed from a Gatso camera from the opposite side of the road (it was not a Truvelo). To be fair it was a 'fair cop', but wondered if I was likely to hear anything and if anyone had a similar experoence. There are lines on 'my' side of the road, but no camera. I wondered how active the radar of the Gatso is, and if it can be calibrated for front shots?

Heres hoping!....David K
Flashed from the front - Stuartli
In some areas, one camera does both sides of a (narrow) road...:-)
Flashed from the front - Thommo
They are set up so they can be turned round to cover one side of the road at a time. Expect a letter, unless you ride a motorbike...
Flashed from the front - Adam {P}
>>They are set up so they can be turned round to cover one side of the road at a time. Expect a letter, unless you ride a motorbike...<<

I'm no expert but doesn't David mean, for example, he was heading North and the Camera facing South? In which case would he get done?
Adam
Flashed from the front - Stuartli
I'm sure that's exactly what David meant.
Flashed from the front - Robin Reliant
Gatso's don't record an oncoming vehicle, if thats what David meant. They do sometimes flash if their field of vision has not been set properly but if you were travelling towards it you are safe.
Flashed from the front - Altea Ego
If it was a grey box gatso, and if you saw the flash it was one of those, then you are safe - you cant be done being flashed from the front by a regular gatso.

Note - only applies to your regular grey boxed cooking gatso.
Truvelo is a whole new ball game and can get you front or back.
Would appear I got the wrong end of the stick...

Is a camera on the A508 that they turn round but think thats a Truvelo.
Flashed from the front - Altea Ego
A truvelo has two eyes - one of them red coloured below the other
Many thanks to the group for your replies..just to clarify I was in a car on the opposite lane heading towards a standard Gatso camera when it flashed at me. It was not one of those that can be turned around, I think I drifted too near the middle of the road and triggered its radar. I was over this roads speed limit....I'll not deny, but had never a camera flash me from the front.
Thanks for your advice...Dave K
Flashed from the front - Rosanbo
Geodesy chap seems to think you don't get done in a head on flash. I have been flashed "head-on" b4 but I have always been past the 'field of view' by the time the camera decides to flash me, so I've never had the leter as a result. I always however, slow down for the "head-on" cameras when I see them just in case.

If no-one ever gets done for head-on flashes (normal gatso) they must just paint the lines to deter people on both sides of the road, or they have put a camera stand on both sides of the road and move the camera occasionally.

If you don't get a letter within 15 days of the flash (assuming you are the registered keeper of the vehicle, then you're in the clear.
Lines seem to be painted on roads for no apparent reason or maybe there was a reason but thats gone now but the lines remain.

On the back road from Oxford to Reading (A4074) this occurs in several places and its not even where they place the regular mobile speed traps.

For the record the favourite speed trap place is a layby about 1/2 mile down the road and round a corner (heading Oxford to Reading) from the place where there is a diner (where bikers hang out at weekends) plus a bike shop.
Flashed from the front - steveb
must just paint the lines to deter people on both sides
of the road, or they have put a camera stand on
both sides of the road and move the camera occasionally.

The lines are painted on both sides of the road to capture those speeding past the camera who have moved over into the oncoming lane in an attempt to avoid the lines on their side !

Steve
Flashed from the front - jeds
I've been flashed quite a few times from the front by Gatso's. Mostly at the limit but on other occasions definitely over - never had a NIP!
Flashed from the front - wendle
Don't know where I heard it but, I think speed traps can only police the side of the road down which they look. In other words a device whether fixed or portable can not be used to monitor traffic on the opposite cariageway.
Please, someone confirm or deny this.
Flashed from the front - AngryJonny
Pay attention... here comes the science bit...

A GATSO measures your speed by measuring Doppler shift. This is the same effect as what happenes when an emergency vehicle goes past with the blues and twos on and the pitch changes. The speed at which the vehicle is travelling causes the sound waves to contact if it is approaching you and expand if it is moving away. This changes the pitch of the sound. The GATSO does the same thing, only (I think) with light waves.

The GATSO fires a beam at your car and measures the Doppler shift of the reflected beam. A Doppler shift of zero indicates a stationary object and the faster the object is travelling the greater the difference between the pitch fired and the pitch received. This is the Doppler shift. The GATSO, however, doesn't discriminate between positive and negative Doppler shifts meaning that if it is set to 35mph, any vehicle travelling at over 35mph or under -35mph will trigger the camera. Hence you get flashed whether you're breaking the limit in either direction, as long as you are in the camera's field of view.

So the theory is that if you are flashed approaching a GATSO you can get your NIP, particularly if there are lines on your side of the road. But in practice, I don't think it happens.

I would like to hear Brunstrom's argument about how dazzling the oncoming driver with a camera flash makes that section of the road safer.
Well, seeing how I started this thread, the least I can do is conclude it....I can confirm that I did not receive a thing.
Many thanks for all of your advice.....Dave K
How Many Accidents Do They Cause - BrianW
On the way into work this morning, noticed skid marks which went over the embankment on London end of the M11 where the camera is which .
Looked as if someone had hit the brakes on being flashed or seeing the lines on the road and gone off the road.
Every other camera site seems to have its quota of skid marks.
I wonder how many extra accidents are actually causes by these things?
How Many Accidents Do They Cause - Chicken Madras
There are many cameras littering the A14 between the M11 and Huntingdon. About 18 months ago I had to drive from Peterborough to Cambridge in the process of buying a new car and every time I went there, the A14 was either blocked or reduced to one lane in the northbound direction. Guess where? Correct! Just before or immediately after a camera.

Now, I suppose this proves the point that the cameras are sited at accident locations, but would I be cynical to suggest that were the cameras not there, the accidents wouldn't occur...?
The cause behind the effect ? - tunacat
May have been reported elsewhere on the site, but:

The manager of the Norfolk Casualty Reduction Partnership (NCRP) has resigned.

There has been an investigation, ordered by the Chief Constable, into the justification of scamera sitings going on for several months. The justification data for some sites has been described as 'questionable', and data for some other sites has not been available at all, due to it having been shredded.

In April a notorious camera in Norwich was decommissioned because its positioning could not be justified.

An NCRP newsletter produced this year said the partnership collected £1,125,490 in fixed penalty fines. This was just £70 more than its expenditure.

Before resigning, the manager had been presented with the initial findings of the investigation.

tinyurl.com/5v6fn
The cause behind the effect ? - NowWheels
May have been reported elsewhere on the site, but:
The manager of the Norfolk Casualty Reduction Partnership (NCRP) has resigned.

ABD comment at: www.abd.org.uk/pr/405.htm

brief BBC News report at: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/3932859.stm
Speeding in my car but I wasn't driving - Kevin T
Does anyone know what the score is with gaining points on one's license due to another person driving the car at the time (I was the passenger)? I have read that it is the owner's responsibility to check that the other driver has insurance (if it not covered on the vehicle owner's own insurance) and therefore it is not possible to say to the authorities "I did not know the driver's name".
Also what is the maximum time a camera generated fine will take to reach your door?
I have learnt my lesson!! - I will never let anyone speed in my car again.
Yours looking at the doormat each morning (with a worried look).

Keep up the good work!
Speeding in my car but I wasn't driving - Duchess
Why not just give the driver's details? (As I remember, there's no check on holding valid insurance with a speeding ticket unless you're actually stopped by the police.)

If you let a complete stranger drive your car, that's a different story and you probably deserve the points!
I have known the person for 6 years. I presumed he had Insurance as he has had the same car for that time.
Speeding in my car but I wasn't driving - RichardW
Er, you know who was driving, your only responsibilty when the NIP arrives is to fill in details of who was driving. Not filling the form in, or lying on the form, is a more serious offence with which you'd be better not getting involved. The NIP must be 'served' within 14 days of the offence - eg it must be in the post - and the post must be first class at least. It is the driver's responsibility not to speed and to ensure that he (or she) is properly insured and licenced to drive the vehicle. I doubt the scamera partnership will worry about insurance though - they just want their 60 quid.....

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Richard
I have no intention of lying (if it happens I will be giving his name and address) it was more a worry that I had not seen his insurance documents.
Thanks for clarifying.
Kevin
Speeding in my car but I wasn't driving - Stuartli
Providing you can prove he was driving (he might deny it emphatically and it would only be your word against his) you cannot be done for speeding.

Seem to remember a well known football manager and/or players being involved in a similar situation.....:-)
Speeding in my car but I wasn't driving - Mark (RLBS)
>>It is the driver's responsibility not to speed and to ensure that he (or she) is properly insured

I don't think that's entirely true. I think its an IN20 or similar.

I am sure that it is your responibility to check that he is insured, licensed etc. etc. Aiding, abetting or allowing - one of those.

No doubt DVD will know for sure.
Speeding in my car but I wasn't driving - Dwight Van Driver
You own the car, you allow another to drive it and accompany them and he is caught speeding.

1. If it dislosed that he does not have a driving Licence then you commit the offence of permitting a person to drive when not the holder of a licence.

2. Insurance is a strict liability offence and as both of you were in the vehicle at the time both of you are "using without" if it transpired that your or his own Certificate does not cover the journey.

Always very wise to insist in seeing documents if you are allowing another to drive your vehicle.

Relating to speeding. As RK you name the driver and you have complied with the law. Camera s do not go into Insurance details and documents like a stop by BiB, but some Authorities start to get inquisitive on this when an attempt at hoodwinking them occurs where the driver is named as a Johnny Foreigner and start pushing for further information and whether Insurance covers. A strong posibility that it doesn't under these circumstances.

So, on receipt of your form naming the driver, he is sent the paperwork. He owns up collects 60/3 points and job finished. Your Licence and wallet remains virginal.

Incidentally one can commit the offence of aid/abet speeding if you are supervising a Learner driver. Same penalty as speeding.
Under the above thread scenario passenger/owner will not be reported for speeding unless there is evidence that he ordered/counselled/or procured the driver to do so. Personally, never came across it other than the learner aspect.

DVD
Speeding in my car but I wasn't driving - BazzaBear {P}
Under the above thread scenario passenger/owner will not be reported for
speeding unless there is evidence that he ordered/counselled/or procured the driver
to do so. Personally, never came across it other than the
learner aspect.
DVD

So when I'm a passenger in my friends battered Fiesta, and at the lights on a dual carriageway I ironically tell him to 'smoke 'em' (the car in the other lane, that is) if he does, I can be done for speeding?!?
Oops...

Mind you, by the time his car reached an illegal speed, I'd be at home safely tucked up in bed!
Warning - Evil Knievel is out to get you - Dynamic Dave

www.wiltshire.police.uk/news/newsview.asp?id=499

One of the first safety-camera-carrying motorbikes in the country is detecting some 50 speeders a day.

Bought by the Wiltshire and Swindon Road Safety Partnership from money collected in speeding fines, the 650cc Honda Deauville carries the same speed enforcement equipment as the vans do.

Between 14 June and 27 July, the bike was used for an hour or two on each of 19 days. As a result, 903 drivers have been sent notices of intended prosecution for speeding and 16 face prosecution in court for driving at excessive speeds.

Warning - Evil Knievel is out to get you - wendle
Yes, indeedy. He's out to get you. The motorcycle is, of course, unmarked in any way. It is blue in colour and the rider wears a dark helmet not the normal white one. In addition his riding suit is not the high viz saturn colour'd jacket. Whats more, it is not untill he's decided to nab you and has all the relevent facts recorded that he pulls away a panel on the chest area of his jacket which reveals in large dayglo lettering 'POLICE'.
By the time you see that your collar is about to be felt.
Warning - Evil Knievel is out to get you - Badger
I see from the site that Wiltshire police have 'mobile vans'. There's a novelty. Which forces have permanently-installed vans?
Warning - Evil Knievel is out to get you - Dynamic Dave
I like the comment on the website "Bought by the Wiltshire and Swindon Road Safety Partnership from money collected in speeding fines"

And there was me thinking the money raised from speeding fines was supposed to be used to improve road safety, not to buy expensive 650cc Honda Deauville's. As the bike is stationary when carrying out it's greed camera actions, surely a Yamaha FS1E with a top box mounted on the back could have sufficed?

Warning - Evil Knievel is out to get you - Phil I
Sorry Wendle - Bike is tricked out in usual Wilts livery looks very smart. If you do not see it you are not looking. Camera mounted in near side pannier. Bike able to park on side of narrow roads without obstructing carriageway, nose in, back end on edge of tarmac. Its able to operate in places where the vans cannot do their job because of the lack of safety when positioned. Effective in as much it may curb a few idiots who think just because its NSL a country road is safe at 60 plus 10%. (I've got ABS - traction control blah blah blah)

Happy Safer Motoring Phil I
Warning - Evil Knievel is out to get you - madux
If this bike is so blooming successful, why did they only use it for 19 days in 6 weeks? At a reported cost of over £30000 (a bit steep, I think) is this misappropriation of (our) funds, dereliction of duty, or mis-use of taxpayers money?
I think we should be told.
madux
(100yds from the A419)
Fact and Fiction - BrianW
Fiction: The government announces that there is to be a review of speed cameras and that unjustified ones will be de-commissioned.

Fact: Work has started this week on installing yet another camera on the Camden Road.

I think that makes 15 on my route to and from work, two thirds of which have only been installed in the last 18 months.
Fact and Fiction - martint123
Found a list of some areas sites and accident records.
www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_control/documen...2

Including The tables published reveal that for 743 locations, casualties increased rather than decreased.

I've not read it all yet.
The Speed Camera Thread XXV - Roger Jones
This may be history rather than news, but . . .

I've just done a round trip from Harpenden to Bedford via Luton and the A6. Just north of Clophill (A507 roundabout junction) the road goes dual carriageway for a short distance before resuming single carriageway northbound through open country. Just after the end of the northbound dual carriageway there is a speed camera, pretty much guaranteed to catch the unwary who have accelerated to 70mph or more in the dual-carriageway section and not yet slowed down to the 60mph limit on the single carriageway -- and, of course, there are no signs to indicate a change of speed limit. And, guess what, there is no camera at the south end of the southbound dual carriageway where, it might be argued not unreasonably, it might do some good slowing down traffic about to pass through an area with houses by the roadside and a major roundabout just beyond them.

For the first part, how sneaky can the deployment of these dumb devices get? For the second part, how grossly negligent and stupid to ignore the issue of safety in a built-up area?
Fiat Punto Wont Go 115mph - BrianW
BBC News item:
A man accused of driving at 115mph on a motorway had the charges dropped when he proved his car was not capable of reaching such a speed.
Steve Lucas, of St Helens, Merseyside, commissioned an independent speed survey from experts, whose evidence led a court to drop the speeding charge.

Law student Lucas, 20, was charged after driving his 1.2 litre Fiat Punto on the M62 in West Yorkshire.

He agreed he reached 85mph, but said the 115mph claim was "laughable".

The expert managed 104mph on a test track.
Fiat Punto Wont Go 115mph - SjB {P}
The article: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/3605446.stm
Speeding notification update - Cheeky
Just an update - I'm obviously one of the lucky ones. No speeding fine/notice has been received and it's now three weeks since the flash!

I just wonder whether the camera was in fact calibrated properly?
The Truvelo camera concerned flashed also - I wasn't aware they did this...

However, it's done it's job. Every time I pass through on the A422 I am always well aware of it and make sure my speed is well down.

I would imagine if anything was to arrive now, the prosecution and usual 3 points etc. would be null and void as it's way out of the 14 day jurisdiction.
Speeding notification update - Adam {P}
Cheeky, I'm glad you haven't heard anything.

Just as an aside, I know you probably don't want to go over it now but are you sure the camera was a Truvelo? I thought they had the magenta filter so whilst they do flash, you can't really see it.

It may have been a Peek Trafficmaster or somethign like that. Around here they're used as red light cameras but they are primarily for speeding. They look very similar to Truvelos but have two circular lenses directly below each other. They don't flash unless it is dark.

It's academic really as you're safe. You're happy - I'm happy- everybody's happy.
Adam
Thanks for your message - it's probably a trafficmaster then. It certainly flashed, and yes it was dark. The flash almost went off in my face. I'm told this is so there is no dispute as to who is driving the vehicle should there be enquiries into the matter.
Speeding notification update - Adam {P}
If it went off in your face then it is a Truvelo. I'll admit, I've never seen one in real life as Merseyside/Lancashire seem to prefer Gatsos and the Peek ones. I just assumed the magenta filter was so it could take a picture of you without blinding you as this one did!

The Traffimasters ones work like the Truvelos from what I understand - they have lines embedded in the road but flash you from the back. I've had a few scares with a red light one because it likes to flash on green!

Anyway, you can forget about it now.. and relax until it happens again ;-)

Cheers
Adam
Speeding notification update - Dwight Van Driver
If you are the Registered Keeper Cheeky then you have nothing to worry about. If not then the paperwork may been sent to them, who will name and then papers to you?

DVD
100% known as the registered keeper of the car DVD. It was bought brand new and the V5 address is obviously where I currently live. Guess that's the end of the matter then.

;)
Speeding notification update - Hugo {P}
Just you wait till you open your post tomorrow ;)

H
Speeding notification update - BobbyG
Just remember that the Post Office received record fines last week for not achieving a single one of their targets!!
Speeding notification update - Vin {P}
I'm sure I've read that only 1 in 8 (I'm happy to be corrected) scameras has the camera installed at any time. The flashes still go but no photo is taken. Something to do with the camera costing £20,000 a time, IIRC.

V
Speeding notification update - AngryJonny
I thought an increasing number of cameras were digital these days - connected to a control centre. The NIP is often already in the post by the time you've reached your destination. Just a 10 day wait follows, while it sits in a variety of sorting-offices around the country.

Incidentally, what happens if you get sent a NIP but our glorious mail service fail to deliver it (not exactly uncommon)? Presumably you'll be sent a reminder with an additional fine for not paying the original one. Can you simply claim that you never received the original?
Now there\'s a good idea. - Dynamic Dave
A list of the locations where the mobile safety camera teams are operating in Avon and Somerset each day is now available by e-mail.

Anyone who registers as a subscriber by visiting the safety camera Partnership web site (www.safecam.org.uk ) will have the list sent to them by email ? free of charge ? every time it is updated.

www.safecam.org.uk/news/news_story.asp?id=237

Oxfordshire have a camera van - patently
On the way home last night, I came across a long queue of traffic at a place that normally flows nicely. Waited to see the reason; a nice shiny camera van parked by the road.

Take care in Oxfordshire, everyone.

Incidentally, that was the second time I saw it. First time was on the A40 out of Oxford, nice safe dual carriageway, don't recall much trouble there in the past. Fingers crossed, the 14 days are ticking away so slowly! Last night, on the Kidlington to Banbury road outside Oxford Merc, enforcing a ridiculous 50 limit, hence the congestion when everyone suddenly observes the limit for once.

I do hope there were no rear-end collisions at the back of the queue last night.
Oxfordshire have a camera van - Dynamic Dave
Their vans can also quite often be seen in the lay-by near Preston Rd, Abingdon; just past the Horse & Jockey public house, Stanford in the Vale; and along the A417 Wantage road between the Nelson public house and Wantage Hospital.
A27 going West just coming into..... - Jane
Lancing. After the traffic lights on the Shoreham flyover you hit the 40 zone just next to the layby with the lorry weighing thingy in it. Anyhoo, I was coming along there the other day and as per usual I started slowing down as I came up to the 40 zone when everyone started slamming their brakes on. The cause was soon revealed to be a Police transit speed camera van parked at the end of the layby with the cameras pointing at cars heading towards it.

The question is....was it targeting cars that weren't doing 40 as soon as they entered the zone or the ones that speed off at the lights like it was a race track, hiting 80 odd in an NSL zone and who are obviously not going to be able to slow down in time without doing an emergency stop??

Another thing to add is that normally the speed trap is set up just round the corner and well into the 40 zone. Have they changed tactics or were they just having a doughnut break in the layby??

p.s. I rarely break that speed limit due to the paranoia of being caught, my question is just out of curiosity!
--
If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished
A27 going West just coming into..... - paulb {P}
They must have got bored and gone home by the time I came through there (about the time of your post, it would have been).

It was either a scamera van, given that nice new signs saying "Sp**d c*mer*s" have appeared all along through Lancing in the last week or so, one of which is on the lamp post next to the Autobahn garage, or one of those number-plate recognition things which check to see whose tax disc is out of date etc.

We are statistically overdue for a trap there, if you ask me. I came through there tonight doing very definitely no more than 40 (for the same reason as you) and was, as usual, being whizzed past by the 65 mph "I don't need to slow until Grinstead Lane roundabout, so ner" brigade.
Advance warning in Herts - Roger Jones
For advance warning of mobile speed-camera units in Hertfordshire:

tinyurl.com/4yx7x
speed camera direction - looking4car
Do fixed speed cameras always/usually check cars driving away from them or do they sometimes check cars approaching them.

There is a new one near me. It appears to be pointed at oncoming traffic.

Of course I always drive within the limit, my interest is simply academic.
speed camera direction - greenhey
There are both types . In my experience at least 25% would be forward facing .
That raises a question for me - if they picked up a motorcycle there is no front plate , so presumably couldn't be traced .
That means the law being applied differently depending on the vehicle.
Also- has anyone noticed how many people carry bikes around on the back these days ? Perhaps it's a laudable enthusiasm for exercise ( tho apparently they drive to wherever first !) , but I suspect it's often got something to do with cameras .
At least half of the bikes I see are slung on the back and obscure the rear plate . People are supposed to fit an auxiliary plate and lights on top of the bikes , but that costs money and my guess is they think they are far less likely to be nicked for that than for speeding.
It really is pathetic to se people behaving like this .If people went to such trouble to avoid other aspects of the law we would all get very excited .But for some reason the law on the road is regarded as different
speed camera direction - patently
It really is pathetic to se people behaving like this .

Agreed.
If
people went to such trouble to avoid other aspects of the
law we would all get very excited .But for some reason
the law on the road is regarded as different

The reason is that other aspects of the law are still held in some respect.
speed camera direction - AngryJonny
I'd imagine there are plenty of other threads on this (and this will get moved to the speed camera thread too), but here we go...

GATSO cameras (the standard measure and flash twice box) as far as I know always shoot from behind. Even Brunstrom isn't crazy enough to dazzle a speeding driver with two camera flashes.

TRUVELO cameras shoot from the front. I think they use Infrared or something so they don't produce a visible flash but they can see who was driving the car at the time. You can recognise these by their purple lenses, and the fact that they're pointing at you.

There are other systems like SPECS which measure your average speed etc, but they tend not to be yellow boxes at the side of the road.
speed camera direction - Dynamic Dave

www.lordpercy.com/speed_cameras_explained.htm

And "E34kid" is correct. This will get moved to the current speed camera thread later today.

DD.
speed camera direction - SjB {P}
On the subject of a speed camera to catch bikers with no front numberplate: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/368256...m

Not sure how effective it's going to be though, as there's not a lot of my face to see when I'm wearing my sunglasses - which I usually do as they have BS approved impact resistant lenses and would rather an insect hit them than my eye when riding in town, visor up.

As for the illegals with their iridium visors, I guess if the camera works, we may see another concerted effort to fine such users.
speed camera direction - Robin Reliant
No worries for bikers there. The device can only be used to determine who was riding AFTER the bike has been identified by it's number plate, so a forward facing camera is still "safe" for bikers.

Funnily enough, I stick much more rigidly to local limits on the bike than I do in the car, normally spot on the posted limit. Yet I have to admit to completely ignoring national limits, often getting to three figures on A roads.

Wouldn't dream of doing that in the car. Wonder why?
speed camera direction - daveyjp
E34 is almost correct - No infra red in Truvelos - the camera is the same as the Gatso, the red/pink filter is to stop the flash blinding you.
speed camera direction - Andy P
If the camera is designed to work in both directions, won't there be white markings on the road on both sides of the camera, or are these markings unnecessary?

Andy
speed camera direction - looking4car
Thanks for the feedback.

It is indeed a Truvelo, the link given is most informative.

Note to mods - Apologies if this topic is covered elsewhere.
Speed 'not main road killer' says DFT! - teabelly
Taken from the Telegraph:

Speeding is not the main factor in more than 80 per cent of fatal and serious road accidents, according to Department for Transport research published yesterday.

The study, based on analysis of 36,000 crashes over four years, found "loss of control of vehicle" was the key element in 43 per cent of accidents, the biggest single cause.

Excessive speed was involved in two fifths of loss-of-control incidents, suggesting that it could have been the prime reason in no more than 18 per cent of all crashes causing death or serious injury.

The research called into question the dominance of anti-speed measures such as cameras and road humps in recent road safety policy. Speed cameras have increased five-fold since 1999 and generate an annual fines surplus for the Treasury of up to £20 million.

The study was published as the Government released figures showing that, despite the investment in cameras, road deaths rose by two per cent last year to 3,508, the highest level for six years.

After loss of control, the most common prime cause of fatal or serious injury accidents was pedestrians "entering the carriageway without due care". This was followed by drivers "failing to avoid vehicle or object", failing to give way or executing a poor turn or manoeuvre.

Excessive speed was cited in 28 per cent of fatal crashes and 18 per cent of those resulting in serious injury.

Impairment through alcohol was the eighth most frequently reported contributory factor. Drink-drive deaths rose two per cent to 560 last year, about a seventh of the total.

The RAC Foundation urged ministers to adopt a more varied approach to road safety.

"The increasing focus on speed cameras and decline in traffic police means that offences such as drug driving and careless driving could be going unchecked," said Edmund King, the foundation's executive director.

"We should have more traffic police and introduce national speed awareness courses as a means of changing driver behaviour."

I know this will end up in the speeding thread but it is obviously the start of a big u-turn in policy so I thought it deserved a thread of it's own for a while :-)

Perhaps this explains the fee paying in the dvla thread as the govt must realise that revenue from cameras is about to shrink...

teabelly
Speed 'not main road killer' says DFT! - No Do$h
I know this will end up in the speeding thread but
it is obviously the start of a big u-turn in policy
so I thought it deserved a thread of it's own for
a while :-)

Not if the Backroom chooses to debate this study on all the points raised.

Now there's a challenge for a Friday ;o)

No Dosh - Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
Speed 'not main road killer' says DFT! - Stuartli
A similar report by police forces around 12 to 18 months ago on the causes of road accidents concluded that just seven per cent were due to speeding.

The Government, to prevent its case for more and more speed cameras being seriously damaged, combined some of the other causes of accidents with speeding and came up with the deduction that 30 per cent involved speeding.

Mission accomplished.
Speed 'not main road killer' says DFT! - daveyjp
Last week' Sunday Times mag had an article on the most dangerous road in Britian - the A59 Harrogate to Skipton stretch. Most accidents were caused as a result of bad signage, lane markings and road layouts - one example is a right turn refuge immediately after a crawler lane up a steep hill, the signage to say the crawler lane is ending is virtually non existent. Cars overtake slower vehicles, crawler lane ends, overtaking vehicle doesn't realise and piles in to vehicle coming other way, or teh stationary vehicle innocently waiting to turn right at the top of the hill. They estimated a sum of £250,000 spent on the road would have a dramtic effect on accidents. Incidentally North Yorkshire has a policy of having no speed cameras.
Speed 'not main road killer' says DFT! - MichaelR
If North Yorkshire Police have such a policy please explain why a new type of camera for catching Motorcyclists has been used in North Yorkshire.
Apologies - a policy of having no speed cameras, unless there's an actual policeman stood behind it - i.e. no Gatsos, Truvelos or the like. The Chief Inspector still believes the opportunity to educate a speeding motorist and use discretion in handing out fines is better than an automated system.
Speed 'not main road killer' says DFT! - Malcolm_L
I agree completely that speed cameras and other passive means of control have had a huge negative impact, especially with the public's perception of traffic policing.

I'm not convinced by statistics however, whilst excessive speed is a cause in a certain percentage of incidents, inappropriate speed may well be indirectly linked to others.

EG. Driving down a narrow road with cars either side, speed limit is 30 - pedestrian steps out, you're doing 28mph so speed isn't a factor statistically - however, was 28mph an appropriate
speed for the conditions - no.

If you remove cameras you have to have more traffic police to keep things under control, however if they remove speed cameras revenue goes down so police forces will have to make further cutbacks which means even less police on the road.

A real Catch22 situation to which I think the only answer will come with a change of political willpower.

Speed 'not main road killer' says DFT! - Mark (RLBS)
A very clever report.

>>Excessive speed was cited in 28 per cent of fatal crashes and 18 per cent of those resulting in serious injury.

So, people will accept the 18% because its so much lower than previously. And then before you know it the 18% is publicly accepted as a significant amount and life carries on.

Speed 'not main road killer' says DFT! - NowWheels
The quest for a single figure for the effect of speed is always going to be a futile one.

Take a simple case: someone steps onto the road without looking, and the driver doing 30 in a narrow residential street can't stop in time.

You could classify that one as caused solely by pedestrian error, or as pedestrian error exacerbated by inappropriate speed, or solely as inappropriate speed (why was the driver doing 30 so close to pedestrians). The same goes for lots of other difft types of accident.

But however you classify it, all the research shows speed is a significant factor in a significant proportion of accidents: even if not a direct cause, it can make accidents harder to avoid and impacts more severe.

Speed may not often be the single cause, but it is a widely-occurring factor which can now be easily monitored without cost to the public purse. Of course there should be more traffic police etc, to catch all the bad driving which cameras can't catch, but that's no reason to abandon enforcement of speed limits.
Speed 'not main road killer' says DFT! - NARU
Taken to the extreme, if we had no speed we'd have no accidents.

We're therefore talking about a trade-off of some sort. If 90% of accidents were primarily caused by excessive speed the speed is clearly a major issue. If 2% are caused by excessive speed then it probably isn't. Somewhere in the middle, as this report seems to suggest means that we need to continue to monitor speed as a cause, but focus also on the other causes.
Speed 'not main road killer' says DFT! - BazzaBear {P}
Take a simple case: someone steps onto the road without looking,
and the driver doing 30 in a narrow residential street can't
stop in time.

Speed may not often be the single cause, but it is
a widely-occurring factor which can now be easily monitored without cost
to the public purse.

Not a very good example to use NW, since in your first point the driver may have been doing an innappropriate speed, but he was not doing a speed which the 'easy monitoring without cost to the public' method would in any way catch.

The point is that all these cameras are not tailored to catch people doing an inappropriate speed, just people breaking the limit. As your example shows, this is not the same thing, so while they continue to completely miss all the other dangerous behaviours on the road, they're not even able to successfully police speed.
Not a very good example to use NW, since in your
first point the driver may have been doing an innappropriate speed,
but he was not doing a speed which the 'easy monitoring
without cost to the public' method would in any way catch.

You're right up to a point: currently, cameras wouldn't catch him.

But there's no technical reason why cameras couldn't be set a lower threshold than the legal maximum on some streets, for example to catch those doing 30 when schools are emptying, or at other busy times, or on narrow streets where 30 is never appropriate.

And there are plenty of other ways in which speed could be automatically monitored, e.g. black box technologies to record speed which could be used in evidence if there was an accident.
As your example shows, this is not the same thing, so
while they continue to completely miss all the other dangerous behaviours
on the road, they're not even able to successfully police speed.

Not quite: cameras are currently unable to succesfully police all aspects of speeding. That doesn't make them inappropriate, it just means that they shouldn't be the only tool in road safety policing.
Speed 'not main road killer' says DFT! - Mapmaker
NW: >But there's no technical reason why cameras couldn't be set a lower threshold than the legal maximum on some streets, for example to catch those doing 30 when schools are emptying, or at other busy times, or on narrow streets where 30 is never appropriate.

errr, so any speed camera might be set to any speed no matter what the speed limit, and we'd just have to guess what speed to go through at???
Speed 'not main road killer' says DFT! - SteveH42
Sorry, NoWheels, but you are oversimplifying here. The point about cameras is that they capture a single moment in time. There is no way to prove from that anything other than the speed of the vehicle at that moment. You are right that there are many places where doing 30 is unlikely to be appropriate but you cannot be sure from a snapshot. For starters, if 30 is never appropriate, why is the limit not 20?

A better system would be one that warns a driver that his speed seems inappropriate in stages. This would either be something in the car or a series of signs along the road. You could have it so that if he passes (say) three warning signs and does not drop his speed then a video recording is taken which can be analysed to more accurately determine the level of danger. That gives a driver several chances - he is warned that although within the speed limit he may not be safe and rather than going just on speed a more complete picture is available to base any punishment on.
Speed 'not main road killer' says DFT! - BazzaBear {P}
I know this will end up in the speeding thread but
it is obviously the start of a big u-turn in policy

Out of interest: Do you really believe this?

I agree entirely that it SHOULD start something, but I don't for a moment think that it will actually make any difference to the profusion of cameras at the sides of our roads becoming yet more ... erm ... profuse.
Speed limit signs are just that - not an instruction...:-)

Hence the old saying: "Speed in the right place at the right time."
I once watched a programme about aircraft accidents and how they occur. An interesting analogy was used to describe what usually happens to cause an airline disaster, but it can be used for any accident. Basically an airline disaster (or any other accident) is very rarely as a result of one event. It's summed up in the Swiss Cheese Theory!

Swiss cheese is full of holes. In all the cheeses the holes are spaced randomly. If you choose a hole and look in to it in the vast majority of cases you will see cheese at the bottom of it. However if you look at enough holes in enough cheeses you eventually find one with a hole right through it, not one hole, but a number of holes which have formed in a line resulting in a chain of holes and the ability to see through the cheese.

A road accident is the same - a number of events occur which when combined result in an accident. A change in one of the situation's leading to the accident means it never happens.

Speed \'not main road killer\' says DFT! - Bromptonaut
daveyjp wrote
I once watched a programme about aircraft accidents and how they
occur. An interesting analogy was used to describe what usually
happens to cause an airline disaster, but it can be used
for any accident. Basically an airline disaster (or any other
accident) is very rarely as a result of one event.
It\'s summed up in the Swiss Cheese Theory!

For a clear illustration of this look at a book called Emergency - Crisis on the Flight Deck by Stanley Stewart.

Misunderstandings of the nature of an electrical problem affecting fuel guages, confusion converting fuel from delivery volume to mass for weight and balance, hand amended minimum equipment lists and a misinterpreted comment on crew handover allow an Air Canada Boeing 767 came to run out of fuel over the great lakes.

The presence of an closed air force base, a crew member with glider experience who had used that base and the inherent skills of those on thr flight deck got it down (and evetually out again) in one piece.

It\'s so illustrative of how things go wrong that I\'ve considerd using it for staff training but Stewart\'s account is bit too technical.
Speed 'not main road killer' says DFT! - tone
For me the key points were

"road deaths rose by two per cent last year to 3,508, the highest level for six years."

"Drink-drive deaths rose two per cent to 560 last year"

Obviously something is wrong with our road safety policy, with all our money being spent on cameras to make us safer we are actually more at risk.
Speed 'not main road killer' says DFT! - Bromptonaut
If you take the figures for deaths by vehicle kilometres road safety is imroving as there's a 5% increase in traffic. Shocked that the DfT's spinmeisters have not homed in on that one.
Speed 'not main road killer' says DFT! - tone
If you take the figures for deaths by vehicle kilometres road
safety is imroving as there's a 5% increase in traffic. Shocked
that the DfT's spinmeisters have not homed in on that one.

the only reason i can explain this is the goverment thinks its better to be admit killing more people, via a faulty road safety policy, than to admit it cant encourage (read force) people to use public transport more.
Speed 'not main road killer' says DFT! - Malcolm_L
Read as people prefer to be killed in cars than in either buses which catch on fire and don't have seat belts or trains that crash due to faulty infrastructure and don't have seatbelts.
buses which catch on fire and don't have seat belts or trains that crash due to faulty infrastructure and don't have seatbelts.>>

But thankfully both types of incidents are extremely rare and it's exactly the same with aircraft.

I'm sure than none of us have any qualms about catching a bus, train or plane - the chances of being killed or seriously injured whilst using any of these forms of transport are dramatically lower than in a car.

Speed 'not main road killer' says DFT! - nortones2
Has anyone read the report? The headline is from the Telegraph, not the DFT report. This is the line taken by DFT "The third article gives an overview of the contributory factors to personal injury road accidents in Great Britain. The information is based on the pilot scheme the Department for Transport ran with the assistance of fifteen police forces in Great Britain. The article gives examples of some of the data that was collected, although it is not intended to provide a comprehensive analysis.

You can start here: www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_control/documen...3
Has anyone read the report? The headline is from the Telegraph,
not the DFT report.

Well done Nortones. Once again, the backroom was discussing someone else's spin on the stats, not that of the authors or of the govt.

The govt press release is actually a commendably neutral summary of the data: www.dft.gov.uk/pns/DisplayPN.cgi?pn_id=2004_0125

On acident causes, all the press release says is that there is a "summary findings of a pilot exercise to identify contributory factors to accidents". That summary is at www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_transstats/docu...f

It notes that "These results are not National Statistics" and identifies several problems in the classification and recording mechanisms, such as
Only a single precipitating factor can be identified and has to be attributed to a single participant. In contrast, contributory factors are not explicitly assigned to any particular participant. Some accidents involve more complex circumstances for which the current system does not allow an adequate description.
Anyone trying to use that data to downplay the role of speed in causing accidents is on sticky ground.
Speed 'not main road killer' says DFT! - commuter
Anyone know if there are any published statistics on accidents where there are roadworks?. It seems to me that just by listening to traffic reports on the local radio that there are an awful lot of accidents on the approach to roadworks, especially on motorways.
The appears to be a lack of urgency in clearing up roads works. Traffic cones are setup and then you get a few workers pottering around for months on end, while the approaching traffic gets tangled up, crashing and causing even more congestion.

Road works are dangerous! Get the job done ASAP and clear the obstruction.
Speed 'not main road killer' says DFT! - nortones2
Ta NW: struck me that the issue was less than neutrally handled by the press!
Speed 'not main road killer' says DFT! - SteveH42
I take it, Malcolm_L, that you have some statistics that show the numbers killed on public transport and that these show that number to be similar to those killed in cars?

FYI, 285 people were killed on the railway last year. Only 12 of these were passengers. Most of the rest were tresspassers or suicides - not much the railway can do about those, although there will be a proportion of those in the road deaths. Oh, and the subject of seat belts on trains has been done to death on uk.railway and the general consensus is that they would at best make no difference and at worst (as in the Paddington crash) have caused more fatalities.

(I have seen no figures for buses but as I've never even seen a bus crash and know they are driven by very competent drivers I would expect them to be far lower than cars also)
How to beat the camera? - frostbite
Offered without comment:-

boxer.ebid.co.uk/perl/objects/auction.cgi?auction=...n