The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 26 - Dynamic Dave

**** THREAD CLOSED, PLEASE CONTINUE DISCUSSION IN

"The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 27" ****

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=27309

For the continued discussion of all things pertaining to Speed Cameras.

This is Volume 26

There is no need to repeat anything since earlier volumes will not be deleted. But then if we only posted original stuff the backroom would grind to a halt in a fortnight.

;o)

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18846

DD.

manned speed traps - bax
I thought that speed traps manned by policemen/women stopped offenders, took details and issued notices to prosecute or slapped wrists as considered appropriate. There was usually a motorcycle policeperson in the wings to chase those naughty enough not to stop as requested.
However, today I loitered with very little intent (such are the joys of retirement) and observed one in operation. It was well placed to catch the unwary and several motorists approached it at what to me, were speeds well in excess of the limit. But they were not stopped.
Is the present procedure that details are passed to the scribes at the fixed penalty office and the miscreants will receive tickets by post?
If this is so I wonder why it needed three sturdy constables @ several florins per hour plus a jolly fine gratuity for 30 years service when the job could have been adequately performed by a couple of serfs on minmum groatage.bax
manned speed traps - frostbite
Sounds a bit like 'how many policemen does it take to change a lightbulb'?
manned speed traps - Adam {P}
Was it not a mobile camera - in which case, it's the equivalent of a bobby standing next to a normal gatso camera.
--
Adam
manned speed traps - bax
Adski,
It looked rather like a theodilite and, I never saw it flash.
If it hadn't been for their caps I'd have assumed they were surveyors. And of course the 2 police cars.
bax
manned speed traps - Adam {P}
To be honest - you see all sorts these days.

If you're that interested, I posted a while back about a trap whereby there was a laser gun and a woman with a clip board. I thought it unlikely that they would note my number as they weren't police.

It later turns out there was a cop car parked further up waiting to tug you. I always presumed that this method was used timing between two points.

"E.g. "White fiesta coming your way Bob - start the timer"

"got him Jim - 21 seconds - let's pull him"

Oh well - at least you were a pedestrian = SAFE!
--
Adam
manned speed traps - nortones2
Ye knaves who passed at high speed will ere non receive an opticians appointment. However, it is likely the annointed were looking for additional computerised runes, such as a cart known to convey villains from another parish.
manned speed traps - rhino
Given that there were police cars waiting and not stopping obviously errant motorists points towards the use of an ANPR system, not a speed camera. Looks like they were out to catch 'real' criminals, then!
manned speed traps - midlifecrisis
Naw! We don't catch real criminals. Too busy shutting motorways just to annoy other drivers!!!!!!!
manned speed traps - pdc {P}
Finally an admission of what we all suspected!

;-) ;-) ;-)
manned speed traps - hillman
I observed two concerned residents in Styal wearing high visibility jackets and pointing what seemed to be a radar gun at the traffic. Styal has a 30 mph stretch of road, with deresicted at both ends. I felt like stopping to congratulate them and asking them to move to the other end of the village. Last weekend I was almost cleaned off by a maniac going through the limit sign at an impossible speed, must faster than 60. I performed the green cross code, all clear, started out from the side road, then saw him approaching and did an emergency stop with front wheels just over the white line. He was going so fast that he reacted after he had passed me, swerving out and rocking.
I'm all in favour of 'vigilantes'.
ANPR vans - henry k
In case you have not seen a normal ANPR unit, some pictures.
www.cambs.police.uk/camops/anpr/what.asp
s************s (i've not been nicked) - J500ANT
As I plodded along the M4 this morning in my temporary Kangoo alike Nissan Kubistar, two things struck me. 1) How windy it was and 2) not one s************ van. There is ALWAYS one, somewhere along the M4 but not today.

Which got me thinking, was it because it was so windy that it rocks the vans on the overbridge making them inaccurate? Just seemed odd to me.

Tony
s************s (i've not been nicked) - J500ANT
I meant to say I was travelling from Bristol into West Wales.

Tony
Speed Camera Disguised As Red Light Cam - pdc {P}
There is very busy crossroad on the main road from the M56 into Manchester City Centre, Princess Parkway, which has recently had a new "red light" camera installed. To be honest, it is needed, as it is a nightmare in the morning to turn right from Mauldeth Road onto Princess Parkway. I left for work slightly later today and the traffic was free flowing, and as I sat waiting to turn at the lights I saw the camera flash, and then do it again, and again and again, and it dawned on me that it was actually acting as a speed camera. Have no idea whether it is a new type of dual function camera, as I'm too busy to look on the usual websites for info.
Re the above, given the slowness of the postal system, I could imagine that regular daily users of this road, who speed past it each day in the belief that it is a red light camera, could well find themselves banned this time next week.
Speed Camera Disguised As Red Light Cam - Adam {P}
I thought all red light cameras were speed cameras when the lights where on green.

Not really that unbelievable - the cameras take your speed beween the loops when you jump a red, why not when you jump a green?

Not entirely sure but that's what I got told.
--
Adam
Speed Camera Disguised As Red Light Cam - memyself-aye
If they are dual purpose why does the coventry road in Sheldon Birmingham have a Gatso immediately followed by a traffic light camera?
Incidently saw someone illegally trying to turn right at a set of lights holding up two cars behind him. They could only proceed after the lights (which by now they were in front of) had turned red. They got flashed of course. Bummer eh!
I could be wrong then. Unless either the GATSO is a dummy or the RLC isn't set up to do speeders.

Can I point out that I'm highly embarrassed at my use of the word "where" when "were" was the right one to use - I've had food poisoning so that's my excuse!
--
Adam
Speed Camera Disguised As Red Light Cam - martint123
Spotted on Humbersides scamera website:-

Covert Operations
Humberside s************ Partnership has been given permission to undertake special covert operations on occasions.
Speed Camera Disguised As Red Light Cam - David Horn
Kind of on the same kind of topic - how do people get away with it?

I was driving up the M6 a few weeks ago (now I'm at Uni I drive less than once a month). Now, I tend to potter along at 75-80MPH, depending on traffic conditions, and less if it's wet or busy.

Cars were regularly overtaking me doing in excess of 95MPH, yes, mainly BMWs and Audis, but let's not go there...

This wasn't just them nipping past and me thinking, "Blimey, he's nipping along". Twice I accelerated after them to see if it was just me, and they were still pulling away from me at 90MPH. (Can we NOT discuss this, I know it was wrong). I would assume that these people do these sort of speeds day in, day out, without a care in the world.

Do these people ever get caught? Do we even have sp33d camera's on the motorways, or, god forbid, policemen?
Speed Camera Disguised As Red Light Cam - NowWheels
Do these people ever get caught? Do we even have sp33d
camera's on the motorways, or, god forbid, policemen?

sounds like an excellent case for more of both
>>Do we even have sp33d
camera's on the motorways<<

Yes - those inconspicuous white vans parked on the corner of bridges - great deterrent... 14 days later.

policemen? - in the inconspicuous white vans.
--
Adam
Yes - those inconspicuous white vans parked on the corner of
bridges - great deterrent... 14 days later.
policemen? - in the inconspicuous white vans.

I dunno, if you get a NIP in the post for following those Audis & BMWs, will you be at all deterred from going that fast again?
*Chuckle*

NW, I'm not getting into this again - for my sanity and for everyone elses.
--
Adam
NW, I'm not getting into this again

spoilsport :)
I thought all red light cameras were speed cameras
when the lights where on green.

No, they usually only take your speed reading if you have jumped a red.
Found a link to the camera. It's here www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/gatso12.htm

Feel sorry for those who are getting done by it, as there are no white markings on the road, and no camera warning signs.
Speed Camera Effectiveness - patently
This is a joke. I am not posting this in any seriousness at all. It's only here because it made me laugh.

OK - is everyone clear about that? Everyone? Here you go, then.

tinyurl.com/49uu9

Speed Camera Effectiveness - NowWheels
The joke would have been better if they had spotted that in their first scenario, the camera did cause the driver to be punished, deterring future offences. Demolishes their "s************s do nothing" conclusion.

More worryingly, though they seem to have missed Mr Campbell's incontrovertible evidence of the deployment of thousands of mobile cameras, all ready for launch with 45 minutes warning, and with a range of several thousand miles. We're gonna find those cameras Real Soon Now ...

;-)
Middle aged hooligan - Archie
After 35 years of getting away with gently exceeding the Mway speed limit I was flashed in Holland on Friday, going about 20 kmh too fast. Does any Back Roomer know how likely I am to be traced and ticketed, and how much the fine is likely to be? I found out later that the local police were charged with issuing 250,000 speeding tickets in 2004 but had only managed 175,000, hence the "unusual" placing of the camera with rich pickings!
Middle aged hooligan - WipeOut
I think you'll be okay. I know people who have been flashed in Holland with UK registration plates and never received a fine.

However if you watch Dutch television they have a show in the evening of unmarked cars pulling over motorists and issuing big fines; including UK registered cars! So beware. You'll get a fine, and could appear on TV as well; how embarassing.

WipeOut
Middle aged hooligan - Altea Ego
Was flashed in Holland twice last year. Not heard a thing.
Middle aged hooligan - Bromptonaut
Was flashed in Holland twice last year. Not heard a thing.

Been back since?. The French are said to be using number plate cameras to catch offenders at the Chunnel terminal or Calais ferry port. Another good reason for using Norfolkline!

I'm still giveng Chartres a wide berth after collecting a parking ticket there last year!!
Middle aged hooligan - Robin Reliant
Even if they trace you there is no legislation that would allow them to take any action against someone who is outside of their borders. Your only risk would be if you were to return to Holland in the same vehicle and the police ran a check on your number and found there was an outstanding warrant against you.
Middle aged hooligan - Robert J.
If you sold the car and the new owner took it to the continent, would he get done ? It might be worth taking some documentation with you if crossing the channel in a second hand car, showing when you acquired it.
Middle aged hooligan - Wally Zebon
You can't get done after being caught by a speed camera on the continent, but if they chase you down, then you could be in big trouble. French police have the power to sell your car to pay for the fine (extreme case).
Evo did a feature on this issue a few months back.
Camera Van - Oh Dear - Adam {P}
Hi all,

Just got back from Liverpool with my Dad. We were in his car and whilst...'making progress' on the motorway we spotted a white van on the bridge with the sliding door open.

Couldn't see a tripod outside but I think it's safe to say it was a camera van. The only 2 odd things were that

a) It was parked more over the inside lane rather than the outside but I'm sure that it was covering all the lanes.

b) Unusually, for Merseyside Police, the van was white with no markings - bearing in mind we were driving quickly under it and it was dark. MP usually go for the full it in terms of markings on the van but oh well.

Also, about 30 seconds after it, there was a GATSO (which we knew about) which someone set off!

Not trying to get off with it, and please please please don't say "if you weren't speeding..." - Correct - if we weren't speeding then we wouldn't have been done - we were so....there!

:-)

We'll see what Postie brings...
--
Adam
In favour of speed cameras - PW
Had a strange experience tonight, was praising a speed camera.

First of all I am anti camera on the basis they only catch speeders, taking Police off the road and unable to detect drink, drugged uninsured or dangerous drivers.

The reason I was happy to see one? Watched as a Corsa tore through roadworks on the motorway, with a 50mph restriction at excessive speed, yards from where people were working with just plastic bollards to protect them from this kind of lunatic.

Judging by the fact the driver didnt slow down after the flash says to me they were not only oblivious to the camera being there (very very visible) but to the fact they had been caught- so what else do they not notice?

Corsa disappeared very rapidly from view- so don't know if they were also caught by the second camera further up the roadworks- but I really hope so.

And unbelievably- although today was only the second day of the roadworks- most of the traffic was sticking to the speed limit.
In favour of speed cameras - tyre tread
Probably stolen or on false plates!
Road Angel - dove
I have been looking into buying a road angel and i was wondering how good they actually are.

There is a company on ebay selling some at a cheap prices, is this a good a buy or a waste of time and money?????

stores.ebay.co.uk/networx-detect-warehouse

Please advise

Road Angel - Altea Ego
These are the old road angel, Called the classic can still get it from the makers. Its the not the best of the types around but does the job fairly well. Not good at handling sets of specs cameras tho.

The new road angel has been around for 6 months or more and is much better.

The classic road angel costs 349 quid new with a years subscription.

My fav is the Origin B2. Friend of mine got one after collecting 9 points in three months. Works very well.

Road Angel - dove
Thanks for that

Would you say that the ones on ebay are a good buy, as the B2 and New road angel are quite a bit more than I was looking to spend??

I was told that the old and new road angels run from the same data base. Do you know if this is true.

Cheers
Road Angel - Altea Ego
Yup single database, so "up to dateness" is not a problem providing you continue to pay the subscription. Not sure how easy it is to transfer subscription from one unit/owner to another tho, I would check with Road Angel or the vendor. Using one without a subscription is a waste of time or money.

Its a matter of looks and features. The new one has better features, better looks, better ergonomics. But both basically do the same job using the same data. If you can get it around the 200 mark or under I would say its pretty good value.

Bear in mind however, you can get a PDA based Sat Nav and load a camera database on that so you get both for not much much money. It has to be said however that the camera databases used for PDA based sat navs are nowhere near as comprehensive, accurate, or up to date as those employed by Road Angel or Origin. (The origin one is very very good and very very quickly updated. I know of lots of examples of less than 24 hours. At one time the origin database changed every night for 14 consecutive nights - all of them road works cameras.)

So yes if you have a need for one, and money is tight, then probably a good buy - the units are all fairly rugged so I wouldnt worry about buying a used one.

Road Angel - smokie
That's pretty inefficient - having different camera databases. You'd have thought that there would be a single supplier who licensed the same database to different companies. Surely that is the way mapping and directional stuff is done is SatNav? Or does each company write it's own maps and direction-finding software?

But then...maybe they *do* use the same database but the frequency of their server updates from the supplier are different.

Most of these are updated by phone call aren't they (the Snooper I had was)? Or do PDAs get it over the mobile network? If not, it's also incumbent on the user to remember to dial up regularly to maintain up-to-dateness.

I remember seeing an article about a lady who was *the voice of UK satnav*. That is, she'd done the prompts for more than one system. Morning TV presenter, IIRC.

When I was showing off my SmartNav to a female friend, she said (only slightly TIC) she wouldn't put up with a female telling her where to go! She asked if you could have a male voice instead.
Road Angel - Altea Ego
All companies start off with the same database. It is avaiable in the public domain. However its a moving target. It changes. So the companies use various systems to update them. Usually you press a button on your device for a camera that wasnt notified by your device, this then gets uploaded to the central database next time you update. They then check it out, ignore it, wait till they get multiple hits, whatever.

Origin is very good at updating. If they get an uploaded hit from a user, they have mobile teams around the country and they go and check it asap. Check that a: its true, b: the location is right c: the camera type.

So your intial "same as everyone elses database" rapidly becomes "different from everyone elses database at any one time" and as such becomes intelectual capitol, and a great marketing tool. "Look - Eagle eye missed all these cameras - Owl Eye inc had them all"

Re mapping - Basically one of two different companies are used by most of the major sat nav makers.
Road Angel - dove
This is great advice, the origin sounds like the best but I think I'll buy a Road Angel, due to the price.

I have heard that PDAs can slow down quite a bit when you try and use them as sat nav, and that you are much better buying a dedicated unit.

They should combine a detector with sat nav, THAT WOULD BE GREAT..!

I'll let you know how I get on if I buy from the ebayer

Road Angel - smokie
Dove

SmartNav (a bit more pricey - £625 to buy & fit IIRC, plus a monthly sub) is traffic-aware sat nav. It's based on the TrafficMaster network of congestion monitoring and will re-route (if it can) around major delays ahead. A screen is an optional extra (not much use IMO). For your money you don't see much - a fully fitted dedicated phone, small antennae, mobile phone mike and a speaker, the clever stuff is tucked away behind the dash someplace (i.e. secure).

You call a call centre from the at the start of your journey - they say "hello mr dove, where would you like to go today" so you tell them. The route is downloaded there and then. You can also call for nearest open fuel, flowers, cash machine, fast food etc. And I've used it twice now to locate myself when stopped on a motorway (for emergency purposes (blowouts) - so I can tell my recovery service where to find me)

There are two optional service - speed alert (warning of speedcams) and vehicle tracker. I have the former, which is good, but not the latter as my ins co wouldn't give me a discount. When I got this system (18 months ago) there was nothing else like it. I'm sure there is now...

www.smartnav.co.uk
Road Angel - dove

Smart navs main advantages also appears to be a dis-advantage..!

Although it is really neatly installed into the car if you sell the car you have to sell the sat nav with it and I'm not sure it will add that much value to the price of the car.

Where as if you were to buy a portable unit you can just move it around with you.

have you seen the Navman ICN 510 found it this morning on a link from the ebayer above, just click on the company logo and it takes you into a web site, it looks really cool.
Road Angel - smokie
You can pay someone to transfer it to your new car. My mate did, it wasn't cheap, so it isn't a good option if you regularly change your car.

And...like many extras...it may not add vlaue but it would probably increase saleability.

I know it's not for everyone though...
Road Angel - Dude - {P}
Halfords have a good deal on the RA at present - cost £399.99 but thet have thrown in 6 months free updates and a £50 pack of car cleaning freebies.
Road Angel - Dynamic Dave
Halfords have a good deal on the RA at present -
cost £399.99 but thet have thrown in 6 months free updates
and a £50 pack of car cleaning freebies.

The free number plate laser sensor given away with the RA would be more useful than a sponge and car wash/wax kit, IMHO:-

www.speedsafe.co.uk/product.php?id=33
www.speed-detectors.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php...4
Road Angel - Big John
Watch out if you take any of these abroad, in France they can take your car away and issues a very large fine. In Holland you can be locked up for simply owning one!

I think this just covers detectors, I dont know abot database/gps based ones. A bit of a worry as I have discovered after 2 years use (frequently abroad!) that my SatNav (ALK CoPilot ) contains Speed camera positions! TomTom SatNavs do as well.
Road Angel - Oz
in France they can take your car away and issues a very large
fine. In Holland you can be locked up for simply owning one!

So, I wonder what a UK motorist with Road Angel or equivalent needs to do to avoid trouble when taking a car to these countries?
Remove the display unit? And not have it anywhere in the car? Remove all trace of the installation?

Oz (as was)
Road Angel - smokie
Laser detection at up to 200m? Bit late then isn't it?
Road Angel - JohnX
200 metres very much late.
The only use being to tell you have that you have actually received a speeding flash rather than warn you about avoiding it!
Road Angel - Dynamic Dave
Granted, by the time you get within 200m, you're more than likely to have been zapped....

but the blurb does say "With the New Road Angel if you are closer than 200m to a Police laser gun your Safety Camera Warning System may not warn you. This is a problem for all of the latest sped camera units systems with a built in laser sensor."

So some warning is better than none at all.
Road Angel - Manatee
I can't imagine what it must be like to use a warning system - surely there are so many cameras around now that it must be a constant distraction? I'd rather give the attention to speed limits. The basis on which they are sold, to warn of accident black spots, is laughable. Isn't the only possible use for these things to assist with flouting speed limits and *not* paying proper attention, or have I missed something?
Road Angel - NowWheels
Manatee, I don't think you've missed anything.

If a driver was genuinely concerned about obeying speed limits, they'd be looking for gadgetry which would alert them to what the limit is, rather than these devices to warn them when they are being enforced. Hopefully they'll be banned here as they have been in many other European countries.

Blackspot-warning could easily be added to existing maps in the same sort of way that camera locations are added. But while you can easily obtain camera-position add-ons for satnav, I haven't heard of any system which offers warning of blackspot locations (though hopefully someone will tell me I'm wrong)
Road Angel - smokie
"Isn't the only possible use for these things to assist with flouting speed limits and *not* paying proper attention, or have I missed something?"

No, you're right, that's it.

I intend to not exceed urban speed limits all the time but still like the additional reminder if I have strayed by a few mph. I'd sooner not chance the points and fine if I can avoid it. Which I can, so I do.

And yes, I am concentrating and paying proper attention. Cameras are usually placed at places where the road is obviously designed or suitable for a higher speed limit than is imposed. Where it is easy to be exceed without being dangerous. I don't think I am the only one to think this is somewhat cynical, and take a somewhat cynical attitude towards them.

Of course, if I were to always crawl around at 25mph then I suppose I may not be so concerned, but I will always endeavour to drive at the limit where it is safe to do so, which can sometimes mean drifting a little over (or under).

Wouldn't be surprised to find this in the Speed Camera thread later... :-) {Or sooner.}
Road Angel - Adam {P}
I can see where you're all coming from but NoWheels and Manatee epecially, you're forgetting one important point. You will never ever ever get every single person in this country to abide by the speed limit. Not going to happen. Just as you're not going to stop all murders, burglaries and fraud.

Of course, I'm not suggesting for one moment that you should stop the enforcement simply because the crime isn't going to stop. I'm arguing however that given what I've said, surely it would be safer for people to get that warning bleep, slow down and abide by the limit. Surely the Road Angel (and others) has done that for them?

In response to Manatee - given that cameras are so prevalent, and you argue what's the point of a Road Angel or similar, then surely if there are so many cameras, there are going to be many more (legitimate) warnings from the GPS device, and so, a hell of a lot more cars abiding by the limit.

--
Adam
Road Angel - Adam {P}
Just as a little aside, I'd take my chances with a beep "distracting" me rather than the eyes off the road....but that's a whole new ballpark!
--
Adam
Road Angel - NowWheels
surely it would be safer for people to get that warning bleep,
slow down and abide by the limit. Surely the Road Angel (and
others) has done that for them?

A warning beep which warnd about limits or exceeding limits is a thoroughly good idea. But that's not what a Road Angel does.

It warns only of enforcement, then a driver can reasonably assume that he is free to break speed limits as much as he likes, except when warned. Cameras still cover only a very small fraction of a percentage of the roads network*, so a device like a Road Angel enables a driver to speed for more than 99% of the time.

That's a device to help speedsters go undetected, which is the exact opposite of a device to improve safety.

* Hopefully that will change when more SPECS cameras are deployed.
Road Angel - Adam {P}
I stick by my original point NW in as much that at least they're going slow when the limit is being enforced. Best you're going to get. If you are right, and I hope to God you're not, when more Specs are deployed, the Road Angel will beep more, thus warning the driver they're going fast, thus slowing them down more!

Job Done!
--
Adam
Road Angel - john deacon
wont be long before the fact they can triangualte the postion of your mobile phone, and its movements, speeds etc, will be used so that authorities know where you are and what speed you are doing, GPS in your cars is also wanted by the anti-car brigade for same purpose

now sir how did you say your mobile went up the M1 at 110 mph ?
Road Angel - NowWheels
now sir how did you say your mobile went up the
M1 at 110 mph ?

Well officer, my boyfriend had a wobbly and he threw it out the window really hard in a forward direction when I was doing 65 ... whereupon it lodged in the undercarriage of a low-flying helicopter.

PS It was a horrible day, your honour. I was driving to collect the remains of my granny, who had been eaten by a shark whilst stepping over a puddle on the edge of the A59 near Blubberhouses
Road Angel - smokie
There are already some UK company offering a service to let you know the position of a mobile phone, for a fee. It's done by trianulation. IIRC all Japanese phones will have to have GPS in-built sometime in the future too. Also didn't the Hamiltons use data regarding their mobile phone location to assist their defence against the rape charge? So the data is not only known, but it is held. Already.

Black boxes on cars will become the norm rather than phone tracking...
Road Angel - john deacon
hamilton case was based on knowledge of the "cells" their phones had been in, not precise position, cells can be big or small areas depending on population

this is easy on current GSM systems

with GSM triangulation is only really possible if they are already after you, and have set systems up to pay close attention to your movements

with 3G which is being rolled out of course it will all become much easier
Road Angel - smokie
So doesn't this work then?

www.traceamobile.com/index.php
Road Angel - john deacon
well this falls into "only really possible if they are already after you", doubt there is the capacity in the systems to do this to everyone
Road Angel - smokie
but I don't believe it depends on gsm, and there are lots of companies offering it...

"The system" *always* knows where you are, otherwise you'd keep getting cut off. This is just another reporting format...no more onerous than duration and destination of call I would imagine... I'm curious that it is a third party offering it rather than the network provider...
Road Angel - john deacon
smokie i can recommend if youre interested

3G Cellular and PCS Demystified (Telecommunications Demystified S.)
Lawrence J. Harte, Richard Levine, Roman Kikta

ISBN: 0071363017
Road Angel - smokie
Unfortunately I'm not quite *that* interested...

Road Angel - smokie
Can all the anti-speed device people say, hand on heart, that they never ever break a rule or regulation? How do they manage to travel at exactly 30mph without overstepping? Do they never park *just for a minute* on a yellow line, or partly on the pavement? Cross a solid white line? Jump a traffic light, just a little bit? And they are concentrating solidy and solely on driving, not talking to passengers/listening to the radio/looking at the scenery/telling the kids off?

What perfect automatons you must be. Oops, meant individuals. :-)

Road Angel - NowWheels
Smokie, I don't try to drive exactly on the limit -- I try to stay below it.

But even so I do sometimes drift over 30mph. Particularly on my local main road where a smart exit from junction is required, but a steepish downhill slope makes it easy to find that I'm at 35 when I catch up on the speedo after taking in all the rest of the road. So technology sure could help.

But I already know there are spd cameras there, so a squeak to tell me that cameras are installed wouldn't help at all. The problem is maintaining the correct speed.

What would help is a you're-going-over-30 squeak, such as is available in the Citroen C2 ... or better still a speed limiter, such as is std in the C4 and optional on a Renault Modus. Set either of them to 30, and I have a device which will help or prevent me from accidentally drifting over the limit.
Road Angel - smokie
"a you're-going-over-30 squeak"

Which really is all Road Angel does, except more selectively. I.E when it really counts (if you care for your licence).

I suppose I see your point, but many people drive in areas unfamiliar to them and don't know where the cameras are. So the accidental drifts over 30mph can be just in the wrong place (like at the bottom of the hill, or just round the bend) which is where many speed cameras are sited.

As for people who drive around at 25 in a 30 limit (where 30 would be safe)...grrrrr.... :-)