£12K choice - mark o'neill
I need a new car. I can afford up £12,000 ish. I do 35,000 mpa, mostly on motorways. I'd like something Mondeo sized, automatic and economical.

Any suggestions?
Re: £12K choice - Andrew Bairsto
I think you answered your own question Ford Mondeo
Re: £12K choice - honestjohn
Trouble is, you won't get the new one with the 125bhp 1.8 engine in the UK for £12k. You will have to go to Europe.

HJ
Re: £12K choice - Alvin Booth
HI Mark,
If its possible for you I would recommend that you visit Motorpoint at Derby.
I was in there yesterday actually, they must have a more than a thousand cars many of them brand new at many thousands below dealer prices.
I bought a 2.0DT1 Vectra from them in 1998 new from them at £6500 below dealer price. You have no problem with any faults because they are under warranty. Well worth a look.
I noticed yesterday that the staff had motorpoint www. on their overalls so they must have a web site. have a browse.
regards,

Alvin Booth
Re: £12K choice - Roger Jones
With that budget, I'd ask "Why new?", wait a wee while and seek out a nearly new Passat or Mondeo, but probably a Passat diesel, or a Golf if you don't need as much space. VW don't get much wrong and the build quality is a joy to experience. But the Mondeo sure does look impressive, although the roughness of its diesel engine has been criticised recently.
Re: £12K choice - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Why not a slightly older Merc??????