Ford Focus - a bit noisy - Waino
My wife has recently bought a used Focus 'Chic' (12,000 miles)which was a special edition - as far as I can make out, a Zetec 1.6 with lots of extras. It's a splendid car in every respect though it does seem a bit noisier than we expected. I don't think it's down to the engine, the engine seems very smooth, but suspect it could be tyre noise. It is fitted with Pirelli P6000s on alloy wheels.

Does anyone have an opinion on tyre noise - do different makes/specs vary in their propensity to be noisy, and is the Focus particularly sensitive? A friend was saying that his latest Focus seemed noiser than an earlier one.
Ford Focus - a bit noisy - Stuartli
The Zetec models have lowered sports suspension - this could exacerbate any tyre noise and/or Ford's choice of tyre as being most suitable for its role.
Ford Focus - a bit noisy - Quinny100
It'll be the P6000's that are the main cause of the noise, but the Focus is a pretty noisy car as it is.

When I bought my Focus it has steel wheels with Dunlop SP Sport 200's on, and whilst it wasn't the quietest thing on the road, it was acceptable. I swapped the wheels for 15" Zetec alloys with 195/60/15 P6000's and and within 100yards of pulling off my driveway I'd noticed the exponential increase in road noise.

Mine was a Ghia so I doubt the Zetec suspension has anything to do with it.
Ford Focus - a bit noisy - kithmo
SWMBO's TDDi Diesel CL model has a lot of road noise, that too has Pirelli 6000 tyres. The road noise is actually louder than the diesel engine noise and seems noisier in the back.
Ford Focus - a bit noisy - Cyd
I've long been of the opinion that Foci suffer from too much tyre noise. I felt this was true with my TDCi fitted with NCT5s and also true of my 2.0 Ghia fitted with Conti EcoContacts.

I think it's a lack of proper noise supression on the car (cost cutting), though it's obviously going to vary with the tyre make fitted.
Ford Focus - a bit noisy - henry k
I've long been of the opinion that Foci suffer from too
much tyre noise. I felt this was true with my TDCi
fitted with NCT5s and also true of my 2.0 Ghia fitted
with Conti EcoContacts.
I think it's a lack of proper noise supression on the
car (cost cutting), though it's obviously going to vary with the
tyre make fitted.

>>
My sons V reg 2.0 Ghia is due for new tyres so any other suggestions would be useful.
It came with Dunlops (originals?) and Fulda Attiros but I have no comparisons to work with.
Ford Focus - a bit noisy - Malcolm_L
Pirelli's seem to be a noisier tyre, Goodyear come out quite well for noise but then so do a few lesser known brands.

Try this link for comparisons

www.tyres-online.co.uk/tyretest/tests.asp
Ford Focus - a bit noisy - timp
I replaced the Kumho tyres on my Focus with Pirelli P6000s. The Pirellis seemed incredibly quiet after the Kumhos!
Ford Focus - a bit noisy - John S
I'm inclined to agree timp. Having moved to P6000's on my car (admitedly not a Focus), it was noticeably quieter than the original Bridgestones, so I'd be surprised if they are the problem.

Regards

JS
Ford Focus - a bit noisy - Waino
When the friend mentioned in the first post gets back from holiday, I'll collar him and find out if the tyres differed on his 2 Foci. I'll let you know. It might just be that Ford have got meaner with their soundproofing!