2nd Car Insurance - 2003bhoy
Can anyone point me in the right direction? First of all I'll give you the background. I got my driving licence some years after my wife and hence ever since we bought our first car it has been cheaper to have her as the policy holder with myself as the second/named driver, as of course this is always the case!?! Anyway now that we are considering a second car I have tried to find an insurer who will take into consideration my years of being a second driver and give some kind of No Claims Discount.Tesco have said that if the roles were reversed then they could transfer my NCD to my wife but not vice versa. To me this is sex discrimination but thats life as a male. So if you know of an insurer who would give me some No Claims please help!
2nd Car Insurance - Mark (RLBS)
Since you will keep two vehicles then you are not transferring the NCD, that will have to remain with your other vehicle.

You are looking for a comapny which will give you a large introductory discount. The availability of which will depend entirely on you being accident and claim free.

That being the case I'd probably try Norwich Union for sure and perhaps Direct Line.
2nd Car Insurance - RichardW
We had the opposite situation earlier this year - second car required, no NCD for my wife, but had been on mine for 5+ years, accident free. We were able to get an NCD equivalent discount from Direct Line - I suspect this means remaining with DL for 5 years, but there we are. I insured my first car with elephant.co.uk this year, and I seem to remember they offer a similar service.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
2nd Car Insurance - Robert J.
Exactly the same thing happened to us Richard, and it was direct line again. There was a couple of condition though, it was limited to me and my partner, the new car had to be a lower insurance group, and we had to be accident free for the first year (so far so good), but after that we get full ncd on both cars.
2nd Car Insurance - Singer-G
This scam is probably ILLEGAL, but it used to work years ago. When you get your renewal notice, you take it to another insurer, and transfer your no claims bonus. You also renew your existing policy. You then tell your existing insurer that you have changed you car. You end with full no claims on 2 cars, but both in your wife's name. In these days of insurance details logged on a database you may get caught out.
2nd Car Insurance - derek
we insure our main car thru direct line and got a second car for me(male) with no ncd.

tesco were brill and gave me a mirrored no claims of her policy so i can insure a corsa for 15 per month even though i have no no claims
i think tesco and direct line are related,

tesco were excellent and the woman on the phone told me about the no claims fiddle herself