toyota land cruiser what to look out 4. - pienmash
im going to buy a used toyota land cruiser in the 2 grand bracket ,any advice what to look out for would be grateful and well recieved,also if you think that toyota is a bad buy pls recommend a good motor buy ,im looking for a 5 seater jeep/land cruiser with good solid engine thats good on fuel,many thanks john
cmon people im in a hurry
toyota land cruiser what to look out 4. - Dynamic Dave

In a kind of prompting type of hinting sort of way....

Surprised our Mark (RLBS) hasn't answered this one.
toyota land cruiser what to look out 4. - Dave N
I'm afraid you won't get much for £2K.

Landcruisers of this era are pretty crude, usually very rusty (though not the chassis), had extremely weedy engines and cart spring suspension. They usually also suffer from having had virtually no maintenance due to the belief that Toyotas last forever, and the high cost/poor availability of parts. Toyota's will last a long time, but only if people spend good money on them for maintenance, and take care of stuff before it gets too bad and cost of repairs exceed the value of the car. Even the diesels are not immune from things like head gasket problems, and like all diesels need the injectors and pump overhauling at higher mileages. So when you consider injectors are about £250 each, you can see why people don't bother and just treat it like a dog.

You may be better looking at a Landrover, at least parts are realistically priced and easily obtained in the aftermarket, or maybe even a Jeep.

What model LC are you considering?
was going for any 4x4 and thought toyota,s would be better than nething else ,seen sum isuzu troopers and sum imported 4x4 with low mileage ,just cant make my mind up,thats why i need sum help ,isnt a jeep rather juicy (there nearly all 4.0 or 2.5 sports .land rovers i like but sumone told me there juicy as well
toyota land cruiser what to look out 4. - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Jeeps are very expensive to run, try over £300 for a set of discs and pads and that was before I had laid a spanner on it!
What you need is an M reg Suzuki Vitara 1.6 16v 5-door with roof bars and tow pack 66k miles... now I wonder where you could get one of those from....(its green by the way);->
Andrew

--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
toyota land cruiser what to look out 4. - Mark (RLBS)
>>Surprised our Mark (RLBS) hasn't answered this one.

Landcruisers are expensive. A Landcruiser for £2k is quite an old vehicle and they changed substantially over the years, so its not a vehicle I know anything about.

I can tell you its quite different to drive to a car, so don't go hammering around any country lanes until you're used to it.

I wouldn't have thought that a Landcruiser, or any other substantial 4x4, of that age was likely to be in great shape. They can suffer hard use and so its probably taken quite a beating to gets its price down to £2k.
toyota land cruiser what to look out 4. - Mark (RLBS)
And I'd echo what Dave N said.

As for running costs, they're horrible. Loads of fuel, brakes and tyres cost an absolute fortune, and if something brakes its always a big problem.

On the other hand, I've stuck the best part of 250,000 miles on my current Landcruiser, my previous one and a 4Runner and I've never had anything go wrong other than consumables.

If you really want a vehicle like this for that sort of money, then I reckon a Landrover, a manual and a good set of spanners would be the way to go.
toyota land cruiser what to look out 4. - Jono_99
Can't ask the specific question of what to look out for, I'm afraid. But to build on other posts, if the budget really is around £2k, then I would spend my money on a Range Rover with a Japanese diesel engine conversion. They are problems inherent with this (need for stronger front springs, inevitable problems with the throttle cable) and inherent problems with old Rangies (chasis rust, sagging doors if it is a 3-door), but done well, they can be a great workhorse.

LRO mag usually has some in the classifieds.

Given Toyota's deserved reputation for reliability, as others have said, if it is only worth £2k, it will have gone a very long way and probably been pretty abused

good luck

Jono