New tyre tread depth - Dude - {P}
Could somebody please inform me of the average tread depth of a brand new tyre. I have a figure in my head of 9mm, but would appreciate confirmation. Thanks.

Top Reply

Thanks for your replies, the concensus would seem to be 8mm. I was trying to work out how much life I have left in a set of Pirelli P6000`s, - rear tyres are down to 4mm after 16k gently driven miles, whilst son has 3mm left on Dunlop SP Sports after 30k not so gently driven miles on the same make of vehicle. The replacements when due will certainly not be Pirelli.

All Replies

New tyre tread depth - Altea Ego
Just had the laguna serviced, and the work sheet states the (unused) spare has 8mm.

Thats on a low profile tyre.
New tyre tread depth - Dynamic Dave

Generally 8mm or thereabouts.
New tyre tread depth - defender
michelin xpc =10mm,equivelent goodyear = 8mm
New tyre tread depth - Mapmaker
Does the extra 2mm equate to longer tyre life?

I imagine that the shearing forces on a big bit of sticky up rubber (i.e. 10mm tread) will be considerably greater than on a little bit of sticky-up rubber (i.e. a part-worn tyre), and so tyres will wear more quickly when new.

New tyre tread depth - Singer-G
I think it varies, even between different sizes of the same type of tyre. Goodyear NCT5 195/60R15 88V have 8mm in the centre and 7.5mm in the outer main grooves. I made a point of checking them when new, as I intended to monitor the wear rate, but then I forgot about it.
Thanks for your replies, the concensus would seem to be 8mm. I was trying to work out how much life I have left in a set of Pirelli P6000`s, - rear tyres are down to 4mm after 16k gently driven miles, whilst son has 3mm left on Dunlop SP Sports after 30k not so gently driven miles on the same make of vehicle. The replacements when due will certainly not be Pirelli.

New tyre tread depth - Roger Jones
. . . and for historical interest, the depth is 8mm on the unused 20-year-old Goodyear spare from my 1984 Capri 2.8i.

My experience always takes me back to Michelin for long tyre life. I would have re-shod the Capri with Michelin, but they don't do 205/60H13 any more, so I chose Firestone out of the few options available.
New tyre tread depth - Wales Forester
I had two new Conti Sport Contacts fitted last week, 8mm tread depth - seems to be pretty standard.

PP
New tyre tread depth - nick
The pirellis may be a softer compound and therefore will probably grip better but give a shorter life. It all depends what you want from your tyres.
New tyre tread depth - LeePower
When you want some new tyres, stick some Michelin Pilot Primacys on.

Expensive, but worth it!

Ive tried Goodyears,Pirellis,Dunlops,Firestones,Bridgestones & none of them grip like the Michelins do & the Michelins last a lot longer in to the bargain!
New tyre tread depth - Sooty Tailpipes
The Primacys always seem to do terribly for interior noise on reviews, this is all that has ever put me off (oh and they are £135 at Costco vs. £89 for F1s/P7s elsewhere) -. What do others think?
New tyre tread depth - LeePower
They are not much noisy then other tyres ive tried, £135 is a RIP OFF, Have you got a branch of STS near you??? £80 each all in for my 195 55 15 V rated ones I had 3 months ago, STS have Michelin sales / promotions too during the year.
Also higher speed rated tyres sometimes work out cheaper then the lower speed ratings, You can fit a higher speed rating tyre, but you cant go down the ratings!

I would rather put up with the slightly louder noise they make for the better road holding & life span that the Michelin tyres give.

Pirelli P6000 lasted 6 months for a set of 4 on my Pug 405, & I had to swop them front to back too.

I stuck a set of 4 Michelins on & the fronts lasted 14 months, Got a new pair put on the front & they lasted another 14 months, Swopped the pair from the back ( with 5mm still on them after 28 months! ) to the front & had a new pair put on the back.

Im well happy with the Michelins life span & grip considering how I drive! lol

The Tyres are the only part of the car in contact with the road too!
New tyre tread depth - Andrew-T
The pirellis may be a softer compound and therefore will probably grip better but give a shorter life. It all depends what you want from your tyres.

That sums it up. Grippy tyres have a softer compound, so they wear faster. As with many things you have to judge whether performance or economy means more to you.

And yes, new tyres have about 8mm depth. Some on here change theirs with 3mm still left, others take it to the 'legal' minimum.

New tyre tread depth - RT

That sums it up. Grippy tyres have a softer compound, so they wear faster. As with many things you have to judge whether performance or economy means more to you.

And yes, new tyres have about 8mm depth. Some on here change theirs with 3mm still left, others take it to the 'legal' minimum.

A number of bodies are trying to get the legal minimum increased to 3mm but that effectively means global agreement which takes for ever.

New tyre tread depth - Theklf99

It also depends on the car itself, our first car, a Nissan Note SVE 57 plate (1.6 automatic) would use tyres in about 5,000 miles, it was a mobility car and actually Kwik Fit at the end of our lease commented on how often they'd changed the tyres on it! They used to use Continentals. I also know someone else who owned a second hand Nissan Note (manual) and they said the same thing that it was just eating through tyres.

Then the second car we got was another Nissan Note Tekna SVE 60 plate (again 1.6 automatic) and that went for nearly 30,000 miles on a set of tyres. The only thing that had changed though was the dimensions of the tyres - still Continentals - on the second Nissan Note were different so maybe the different sizes made a difference.

The current car we have is a Vauxhall Zafira A (1.6 manual), no longer on motability scheme so we don't have to use Kwik Fit any more, and now we have Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance and we seem to have to change the tyres every 1 1/2 years - we do about 15,000 miles a year

New tyre tread depth - akshay ortho

Hi,

I have planter fasciitis and my heel pain has decreased considerably since I have been wearing (xxxx) . It's great to find a shoe at a reasonable cost that seems to be just what I needed.

Edit: product name deleted. If this idiot knew anything about it, he'd have spelt 'plantar' correctly. It's a disease of heels, not gardeners as a whole.

Edited by Avant on 24/01/2018 at 00:43

New tyre tread depth - skidpan

Hi,

I have planter fasciitis and my heel pain has decreased considerably since I have been wearing Orthofeet. It's great to find a shoe at a reasonable cost that seems to be just what I needed.

I too have plantar fascitis and have found the pain much reduced since I fitted new tyres on the car with a full 8mm tread depth. With the old tyres the pain was considerable when I got up in the morning but with the new tyres I can live with it. My Doctor says its nothing to do with the tyres but what does he know.

New tyre tread depth - Charlie Croker

Do a lot of miles in company cars and noise and "hardness" of driving feeling definitly increase with lower tread regardless of tyre manufacturer, so ride comfort and grip is the double issue with low tread.

Fleet serviced company cars try and wring every mm before they will agree to change them which is not only ineffcient for the car, but also the driver... even if it is around £200 a pop

New tyre tread depth - edlithgow

Bit OT, but re " ride comfort and grip is the double issue with low tread." Depends on the conditions.

The standard advice is to put your best tyres on the back. There's still a seasonal difference in Taiwan, though its perhaps weaker than it used to be.

In the dry season, the best tyres are the ones with the least tread.

In the wet season, the best tyres are the ones with the most tread..

I rotate accordingly. Over time, this should have the side effect of evening-up wear, which I don't particularly care about, but the downside is that you can't easily monitor alignment from the wear pattern.

Edited by edlithgow on 24/01/2018 at 04:47

New tyre tread depth - Bolt

I rotate accordingly. Over time, this should have the side effect of evening-up wear, which I don't particularly care about, but the downside is that you can't easily monitor alignment from the wear pattern.

As our roads are not the best its not worth messing about, I agree with the new possible 3mm tread depth minimum, and cant understand why they say 1.6mm is as good as 3mm.

The civic does around 25k to a set of tyres and is better than the old civic as that got through fronts in 12k miles

New tyre tread depth - balleballe

Michelin have proven that there is no real difference between 2mm and 3mm tread in their tyres.

Michelin have proven that there is no real difference between 2mm and 3mm tread in their tyres.

I really cant believe that, though it depends on whether they are talking dry grip or wet, fair enough if dry weather, but no way wet weather will be the same for water clearance /grip

New tyre tread depth - skidpan

I really cant believe that, though it depends on whether they are talking dry grip or wet, fair enough if dry weather, but no way wet weather will be the same for water clearance /grip

No one with a brain cell would. Even F1 wet tyres (which are almost certainly the best wet tyres in the world) loose grip as they wear.

I believe its another marketing ploy. "buy our Michelin tyres and you get wet grip even when they are nearly bald. Buy a competitors and you will have to replace them much sooner"

No one with a brain cell would.

Unless that brain cell was configured as an open mind. If you actually look at the evidence, the research is fairly inconsistent. Reviewed here (page 58)

www.trafitec.dk/sites/default/files/publications/b...f

"At tread depths of less than 3mm, some studies suggest that braking distance increases, while other studies demonstrate that this does not happen until the tread depth is less than 2mm"

Thats for wet surfaces. They suggest that the difference may be due to more recent wider tyres being more affected by low tread.

Hooray! Old stuff wins.

(Not that UK legislation bothers me anyway)

No one with a brain cell would.

Unless that brain cell was configured as an open mind. If you actually look at the evidence, the research is fairly inconsistent. Reviewed here (page 58)

www.trafitec.dk/sites/default/files/publications/b...f

"At tread depths of less than 3mm, some studies suggest that braking distance increases, while other studies demonstrate that this does not happen until the tread depth is less than 2mm"

Thats for wet surfaces. They suggest that the difference may be due to more recent wider tyres being more affected by low tread.

Hooray! Old stuff wins.

(Not that UK legislation bothers me anyway)

as a close to bald tyre is not good in the wet no matter what the makeup of the tyre, or road, the open mind has nothing to do with whats possible. you cannot make 1.6 mm tread depth clear as much water as 3mm

its like saying you can get 1 pint in a 1/2 pint pot- tiz impossible,but you can have fun trying

Not really. Its like the difference between opinion, and evidence.

That difference is partly one of supply and demand.

There is usually, as here, a huge supply of opinion. Its so common its sometimes known as "common sense".

Consequently there is usually little demand for evidence.

Not really. Its like the difference between opinion, and evidence.

That difference is partly one of supply and demand.

There is usually, as here, a huge supply of opinion. Its so common its sometimes known as "common sense".

Consequently there is usually little demand for evidence.

to put it this way, I would prefer 3mm tread min depth than as it is 1.6mm, but I do realise some people like to get their moneys worth out of most things including tyres(you see plenty of near bald tyres in car parks) which are below the limit.

IMO 3.0 mm is better then 1.6mm which is an odd amount as a minimum anyway, should have been 2mm minimum

New tyre tread depth - V4 Heaven
I'm just about to put a pair of tyres on my motorbike which, as it's a sports version, cost £280 and last about 3,000 miles. They come with 5mm new.

My car ones generally come with 8mm