who's fault? - jwmcd92
Recently i was involved in an accident. It was at on a two lane section of road approaching traffic lights. The lights for the right hand lane were red and the traffic in that lane stationary. A driver coming the opposite direction turned right and didnt bother to check the second lane and drove straight into the side of my car while i was doing 30mph, damaging the drivers door, back door and back wheel arch. They then offered to pay for the damage in at least three seperate phone calls and are now saying that they will take it to the insurance company and that their insurance company has said it will be 'knock for knock'. Unfortunatly there were no witnesses who stopped but the damage to my car seems pretty conclusive... any thoughts?
who's fault? - Peter D
If you are saying you were in the inside lane and you had a green light and you were in the UK then you are in the right. Good drawing several photographs of the scene and the damage to you car should resolve the issue. Always carry a disposable camera replaced every year and a dictophone. So cheap, so easy, so useful. Regards Peter Good Luck
who's fault? - jwmcd92
If you are saying you were in the inside lane and
you had a green light and you were in the UK
then you are in the right. Good drawing several photographs of
the scene and the damage to you car should resolve the
issue. Always carry a disposable camera replaced every year and a
dictophone. So cheap, so easy, so useful. Regards Peter Good
Luck

thanks, yes i was coming up to a green light in the inside lane. I'm really not sure how his insurance company could place 50% (or any) of the blame on me.
who's fault? - Doc
>>
thanks, yes i was coming up to a green light in
the inside lane. I'm really not sure how his insurance company
could place 50% (or any) of the blame on me.

From what you have said, it would appear that the other party is to blame, as they were 'crossing the path' of on-coming traffic.

You should resist any suggestion that you were in any way to blame.

who's fault? - Happy Blue!
Make sure your insurance company has been informed and make it clear to them that you are in no way to blame. They make instruct solicitors to help you with inunsured losses. Use them and if you do end up knock for knock, claim the remainder back (and increased premiums for the next few years) from the other party.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
who\'s fault? - Mark (RLBS)
\"Knock for Knock\" is/was an agreement between insurers not to recover their own AD losses from each other, with each to pay their own insured\'s claim.

It is not, was not, nor never will be related in anyway to distribution of blame at 50:50 or anything else.

Not connected to blame or fault, not in anyway, not never, not even a little bit, not at all, separate from that, not even close, not even in the same country as, not related to, not even friends with. Strangers.

I may have mentioned this before.
who's fault? - Dynamic Dave

Only 11 previous times according to the forum search ;o)

who's fault? - Singer-G
\"Knock for Knock\" is/was an agreement between insurers not to recover
their own AD losses from each other, with each to pay
their own insured\'s claim.
It is not, was not, nor never will be related in
anyway to distribution of blame at 50:50 or anything else.
Not connected to blame or fault, not in anyway, not never,
not even a little bit, not at all, separate from that,
not even close, not even in the same country as, not
related to, not even friends with. Strangers.

The very point I was going to make. If you have a decent insurance company they will pay out, waive the excess, and not dock your no claims bonus.
who's fault? - davemar
The other person was 100% to blame. I had a very similar incident a year or two ago where some daft bat coming the other turned right across me resulting in a collision. She just wasn't looking where she was going, the silly woman.

She didn't admit blame at the time, so the insurers had to 'do battle' as it were, but it came out on my side in the end as it should. However I did have to go back to the scene to take photos of the road layout and so on, as the insurers (or whoever ended up doing all the blame/legal stuff!) were so slow in sorting it all out. So it's probably worth pushing them along a bit and giving them plenty of clear cut information like photos and diagrams. It'll still probably take a year to sort though.
who's fault? - Malcolm_L
I had a no blame accident a couple of years ago which left my car unroadworthy. Having spoken to my insurance company I hired a car and promptly advised the other insurance company that I had hired a car as their client had left my car unroadworthy.
My car was repaired and back to me within a month (just).
The hire car costs were recovered in full by my insurance company from the other parties insurance.

who's fault? - jwmcd92
The guy who crashed into my car has now offered me nearly £600 cash for the damage, which is enough to have it repaired properly. I get the impression he's either uninsured or has a big excess. As my car's only worth £700 and a claim through the insurance company would end up in a write off, i'm thinking i'll take his money.
who's fault? - Mark (RLBS)
You're probably right but be careful.

All too often somebody will think that they are going to settle the claim privately. They don't submit an insurance claim. Then either the other guy changes his mind about paying or there is a disagreement about how much should be paid.

Before you know where you are you have no money, no car, no chance of an insurance claim and the only recourse is a futile trip to the Small Claims court to sue a guy for money he hasn't got anyway.

So, agree with care. "if you pay me £x by dd/mm/yy then I will not progress the claim. At the end of that day I am progressing it no matter what".

Also don't get into any argumetns about the cost of repair. £600 settles the claim an dwhether or not you get the car repaired and how much you pay for that repair is your business, not his, and should not be part of the discussion.