Sports Car - Which One? - Matt
Thinking about buying a sports car now to keep for a very long time - my father bought a Triumph Stag in 1972 and still has it.

I would like to buy something in a similar vein but more modern. I am 22 years old but have 5 years no claims on the insurance. The car will be used as a second car (old E30 BMW is everyday car) so doesn't have to have Honda reliablity although I don't want it to be a nightmare like Dad's Stag! I would prefer a convertible, I like big engines and English cars if possible. Four seats are not necessary but looks are very important - nothing too square and 80s!

I have considered TVRs (Chimaera/Griffith) but am seriously worried about reliability - opinions? Lotus Elise = great but not quite hairy chested enough! My budget is around 10,000 pounds. If possible can we not have any "22 years old with 10 grand to burn, tut tut tut" type comments as although I know it's not the best way to invest money, it is more fun than any other I know - just genuine advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Sports Car - Which One? - teabelly
TVR would be the most fun you could have. As it is a second car I wouldn't worry too much about reliability. But then I have an integrale as an everyday car so it is all relative! An alfa spider will always be a classic and well within your budget. Or you could go for a later gtv spider from the nineties. Jaguar XJS another possibility?

If it were me I'd buy the TVR as it has the best sounding engine of anything on the road. I might join more than one breakdown organisation though :-)
teabelly
Sports Car - Which One? - Older_not_wiser
Reliable, big engined, English convertible?

That's a short shortlist.
Sports Car - Which One? - CM
I don't know if is would be too spartan but I had a couple of mates who had Caterhams. Things did go occaisionally wrong but on the whole it was a breeze to do up. I think that the Rover K series engine was quite reliable. I am not sure on prices but think that one of my friends picked one up for about £6k and spent a further £2k on it.
PS I know that most of your criteria aren't met but low weight vs big engines.....

At least t doesn;t look too 80s!!!!
Thanks for the response so far - Caterham is a great idea! Will do some research - any ideas on which engine to go for - reliability/performance wise. Not too concerned about petrol consumption as only a second car etc. Still addicted to the idea of a TVR. Anyone know much about the Griffith (how does it compare to the Chimaera etc?) as this is my preferred choice so far. Thanks for any help.

Matt
I think my mate had a 1.6 and it seemed to go. I think that the 1.8 might be the one to go for.

I really am no Caterham expert but believe that some are SLIGHTLY better suited for road use than others.
Sports Car - Which One? - BazzaBear {P}
PS I know that most of your criteria aren't met but
low weight vs big engines.....
At least t doesn;t look too 80s!!!!

If he's really addicted to the big engine idea, there are Westies and Caterhams available with V8's in them. Kind of spoils the whole idea of a superlight car though.
Sports Car - Which One? - Alfafan {P}
EVO Magazine's done an analysis of the different Caterhams this month. May point you in the right direction.

What about a VX220? Excellent reviews, and they're a terrific drive.
Sports Car - Which One? - tunacat
Morgan Plus 8 ?
Sports Car - Which One? - Garethj
Caterham 21 might be a bargain?

I'd go for a TVR Chimera because they're very good fun to drive and if you talk to the owners club you'll probably be able to get spares support for years too.

Gareth
Sports Car - Which One? - Bagpuss
I had a TVR Griffith 500 a few years back. It was 2 years old with 2,500 miles on the clock. The looks and almost unbelievable power (5 litre V8 340bhp version) sold it to me. I even managed to convince myself that it was quite practical - bigger boot than a Z3 and all that. However, in the real world, it was seriously exilarating on a dry, coolish day with not too much traffic and the roof down. The other 364 days of the year it was more than a bit wearing.

In hot weather or in traffic it overheated. On wet roads it felt like it was going to let go at every bend. Around town it did 9 to the gallon and it was so unreliable I was worried to drive it anywhere, though at least being towed home saved on fuel costs. The dealers were so useless it was almost charming. They couldn't sort out the overheating (along with a miriad other minor problems) and shrugged off the unreliability as "if you want Porsche reliability you have to pay Porsche prices". Actually their hourly rate was the same as a Porsche main dealer.

Bits that fell off included the exhaust system, the rear number plate, the rear view mirror and one of the front spot lights. The metal subframes needed treatment for rust.

It was when I sold it 18 months later, the biggest advantage of these machines came to light - depreciation. I got back almost what I'd paid for it.

Sports Car - Which One? - Morris Ox
TVRs are not long term options, and at 22 they'd cost you a fortune for all sorts of reasons. And I hope you won't take this as tut-tut but a Caterham is for someone who has a well-developed sense of their own limitations, with steering and other responses that are far quicker and more direct than most idiot-proof boxes.

I think someone else has already said that the book of long-lived, big-engined English sportscars is a short one, and I wouldn't touch anything with an over-bored Rover V8 - look what's happened to some Range Rover 4.6s.

You sound like you're looking for something with a fundamentally relaxed demeanour, and the best thing I can think of is a late-model XJS 4.0 litre.

But TVRs are simply not long-term prospects. Something designed and built on that scale will not have the ultimate durability unless it's kept as a pampered low-mileage summer car.
Sports Car - Which One? - Chris75
Over budjet, but very nice.

www.watersideclassics.co.uk/K4XJS.php
Sports Car - Which One? - tr7v8
How about a TR7 V8 plenty around that have been comprehensively restored, nice V8 burble and peanut spares prices. V Quick standard V8 gives 135MPH and around 7ish secs 0-60. Good handling if it's had uprated springs and shocks and classic insurance. Mine will out perform and handle most modern quicker hot hatches and is very comfortable to boot. A lot have been completely retrimmed so get rid of the 80s plaid.
Not idiot proof though eg. no ABS, EBD etc which can make it a handful in the wet. Caterhams are an acquired taste as they are very revvy and relatively hardwork, bit like a mobike rather than a car.

Jim
Sports Car - Which One? - Garethj
I don't think the reliability of a used Jaguar XJ-S is much better than a TVR! I had one and while the (V12) performance was exhilarating and relaxing at the same time, I was more than lucky it didn't leak like everyone else's did and most of the electrics worked for most of the time.

A TR7 will need to be modified to make it perform well, I'm amazed how Triumph managed to build a car which has the engine mounted behind the front axle line handle so badly in standard form. If you can find one that's been rustproofed and had the suspension modified then it could be worthwhile if you like the looks.

The thing about going for a modified car is that you're relying on someone else's work - if a car is restored then it's either to standard spec or not, but if it's modified it's more difficult.

If the car is only for weekends and fun days then perhaps a classic car might be the answer, depreciation should be good and if you have a Triumph Stag in the family then you probably have a full set of spanners!

Maybe a Sunbeam Tiger, modified MGB V8 or any of the usual suspects might be worth looking at?

For something more modern, how about a Ginetta G33?
www.mcarsweb.com/ginetta/g33.jpg

Gareth
Sports Car - Which One? - Altea Ego
How about a Reliant Scimitar?
Convertable, bigish engine, more modern than a stag, Ford lump so engine should be ok. under 10 grand.

1984 RELIANT SCIMITAR GTC CONVERTIBLE, 1984,
86000 miles, 4 seat, leather, Manual o/d, 2.8 litre VG Ford, soft/hard top, FSH, 3 owners, e/w, e/m, tow bar, light Metallic Green. £7,500.
Thanks for all the ideas -

TR7 - Sorry but just can't bring myself to enjoy the looks!
Scimitar - Would be ideal but same problem with the looks...
Jaguar - Would prefer a convertible if possible

Looking like a TVR or possibly a Westfield at the moment - I'll never learn! Problem is that the aesthetic appeal of a car is a very important factor for me. Please keep the ideas coming.

Thanks.
Sports Car - Which One? - No Do$h
Well if you're looking at Westfields and TVRs then why not look at other kit cars?

Cobra or Austin Healey 3000 replica float your boat?
Tow Bar? Who the hell would tow with one of these?
ah-hahahaha.

ha.

Tres droll Monsieur Family.
Sports Car - Which One? - Phoenicks
something quick, british, reliable. hmm. tall order but how about a TVR 450SEAC - Rare, british and quick. in fact any tvr. if you're not going to use it much it might not matter that much on reliability.

Lotus Elise would be ideal for track days as the running costs arent that bad.

Merci Monsieur Non Argent.
Sports Car - Which One? - teabelly
Shouldn't it be Monsieur Sans Argent? Yes, I am a pedant!
teabelly
Surely that would be "Mr Without Dosh?"
If you are being really pedantic it should be

Monsieur grand montant d'argent

Sports Car - Which One? - BogStandard
Monsieur ne pas d'Argent?

BogStandard
Seat Ibiza 1.4S
Sorry to be a french bore but a more up to date translation would be: "Monsieur pas de tune". "Tune" being a pretty good translation of the slang "dosh"