Still got your 'ears on' ? - frostbite
Does anyone still have and use CB in their car? I remember in the early 80's almost every other car sprouting a DV27/Firestick/K40 etc., but haven't seen any for ages, although I dare say some truckers still use them.

Even Ford, IIRC, used to fit them to some new cars.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was the kiddy factor that killed it off - I got involved in it around '78 but very rapidly cooled off when it became legal in '81 and rapidly acquired my amateur radio licence. Although, come to think of it, haven't seen a 2m or 70cm antenna on a car lately either.

Still got your 'ears on' ? - Dynamic Dave
My CB rigs got confined to the loft. Reason being, worth nothing to sell.

Used to have both one in the car, and one in the house. I even had one on the motorbike for a while when I pranged the car. Had the rig stuffed up my jacket with the wires going between the seat and tank to the battery and the aerial on the back rack. Didn't actually use it while moving, just unzipped the jacket enough to pull the mic out when stationary. However a mate of mine put some small speakers and microphone in his helmet and a PPT (Push To Talk) switch on the handlebars. He had great fun in winding up the lorry drivers on his daily commute to work on the M4 into London.

My handle, btw, used to be Bulldozer, but at some point I changed it to my forum name.

Still got your 'ears on' ? - Altea Ego
Wont mention my handle in case anyone I upset is on here!

Started in 1979 with illegal 27mhz rigs. Used them all, started importing them. Met Rick (cant remember his second name) Owner of the Firestick Antenna Corp of Phoenix Arizona. Visited his factory.

Anyone remember the jaws 2? Burners?
Oh for an edit button

Went legal as well. Ended up using a dual band 2m/70cm rig with a nice fancy co-linear. Anyone remember the fun of GB3SL repeater?
Still got your 'ears on' ? - Colin M
> Anyone remember the fun of GB3SL repeater?

Yep. And I used to enjoy being pulled by Essex Plod pre CB days wondering what the 2m rig was in my MK1 Cortina but going away empty handed when I showed my Radio Amateurs Licence.

Sadly it was CB mentality that killed my interest.

Colin (nee G8JKP).
Still got your 'ears on' ? - Robin Reliant
All that phoney "Rubber Duck" lingo sounded cool if you were driving a Kenworth down route 66, but comically ridiculous coming from a Cortina driver with a Brummie accent on the B wherever.

The Radio Hams used to refer to it as Childrens Band.

Permanantly killed off by mobile phones now, I should think.
Still got your 'ears on' ? - VTiredeyes
i still have my amstrad 901 with roger bleep, was great fun, there was 4 of us in the late 80's with em. used to have a pa system for "bigging up the ladies!" en route. and a massive whip aerial on me fiesta, handle was .........
have a guess?

red fiesta.
lol, oh the memorys r flooding back
Still got your 'ears on' ? - billy25
back in the 70's most of the 'teens had an AM set, then once again the gov found they were missing out on a "nice l'ille earner" and insisted that everyone went "legal" on FM. knowing that big brother was once again watching seemed to take the fun out of it, and this led to it's demise. after all the whole point was that the police were on FM,and couldn't or didn't bother to monitor the AM band.

billy
Still got your 'ears on' ? - spikeyhead {p}
Anyone remember the fun of
GB3SL repeater?

Wasn't teh only purpose of SL to keep the rest of the 2m band free for the sane?

ex G6EXW
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Still got your 'ears on' ? - Chas{P}
>My CB rigs got confined to the loft. Reason being, worth nothing to sell.

Sold my CB stuff on eBay. The multimode one sold for £55 quid even though I stated clearly it wasn't working properly.
Still got your 'ears on' ? - L'escargot
Never owned (or used) a CB, but I did enjoy the "CB Special" tape by Dick Curless with Curtis McPeake and the Nashville Pickers. Wish I could find a CD version of it.
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Still got your \'ears on\' ? - Galaxy
You might possibly find some of the material contained on The Laughing Policeman Wireless Society website of interest. Can be found at:

www.laughingpoliceman.com

However, interesting that the website may be, I must warn all that some of the language used in certain sections is, well, let\'s just say not quite The Queens English!

You have been warned! Peruse with care!

I\'ve changed the link so you will have to cut and paste the address into your browser rather than clicking straight through. This way you have to make a conscious effort to visit the site, rather than clicking on the link and reading the disclaimer after you\'ve sent an email of complaint to myself, Mark Dave or HJ.

No Dosh
Still got your 'ears on' ? - frostbite
I can certainly confirm Charles's coment about the value of your rigs, DD.

There is always a good daily selection on eBay and they mostly go for £20-30 although things like Superstar and some of the President range attract much higher prices.

Unless I've missed it, nobody owned up to still using one!
I can certainly confirm Charles's coment about the value of your
rigs, DD.
There is always a good daily selection on eBay and they
mostly go for £20-30 although things like Superstar and some of
the President range attract much higher prices.

Actually I've kept them in case I ever revert back to the days of my mobile phone bill exceding the £180 mark per month again. Thinking about it, the cb rig licence was only £10 a year. Lots cheaper than a mob phone to run and you can have multiple conversations all at the same time. Not forgetting talking to complete strangers, eyeballing people and going on wally hunts. Then there was the time....

ok, I'll stop now before getting acused of being a bigger saddo than I already am.

I'm off now for some choke and puke; but just before that, I need a 10-100.

10-4 good buddies - we gone. Catch you on the flip side.

Still got your 'ears on' ? - Mark (RLBS)
My mobile phone bill last month was approx £650 so think yourself lucky. (and that is a long way from the biggest I've ever had - still, I have to say that Vodaphone are always very polite to me on the odd occasions I need to call them !)

And having a CB is alll very well, but you're kind of relying on the person you want to call having one as well - and to be frank they're just not that common in offices.

"Wally Hunt" ??
"Wally Hunt" ??

CB equivalent of a newsgroup troll.

Get a "wally" messing about on the air waves and you go a hunting for him. Generally easy to find using the signal strength meter, looking for their twig, and triangulation - or is that strangulation? - no, silly me, that comes after finding them ;o)

I remember being as irritated by cb-talk being used in person as I now am by txt-speak being used in e-mails and letters.

There had to be a cute name for everything - seat cover was always one that particularly annoyed as well as "how many candles are you burning?" - what on earth was wrong with "how old are you ?"
I remember being as irritated by cb-talk being used in person
as I now am by txt-speak being used in e-mails and
letters.

grin
There had to be a cute name for everything - seat
cover was always one that particularly annoyed as well as "how
many candles are you burning?" - what on earth was wrong
with "how old are you ?"

Oh come on, "Where's your 20" was much better than "where are you"

Over. krsssss
"Where's your 20"

Surely that was "what's your 20 ?"
And this from a man irritated by the jargon?
That's why I'm irritated, because my local pub car park was full of MKII Cortinas with very big aerials and the bars full of irritating people speaking in such phrases - you couldn't help but notice, and sadly remember, it.

10:10 'till we do it agen.

aaaaarrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!
"Where's your 20"
Surely that was "what's your 20 ?"

What's, where's. It's all pretty much the same thing.

Now if only I had Sally Field as the seatcover and the Trans Am - motoring link. (cowboy hat and moustache I'll give a miss)

Dont tell me - you only ended up with the elephant?
Still got your 'ears on' ? - Algernon
Had a Ham International multimode in the car and another - with burner - at home.

As a SWL since 1938 who had no ham licence because of the ridiculous morse requirement I really loved ssb across the pond and 2m was so boring after it.

Just been up to the shack and there is absolutely nothing either on the old and new legit cb bands (or on 2m for that matter, who buys all these rigs?) but try a listen to 27.555 MHz - the "triple nickel" - when the skip is in; it is a good pointer to 6m.

To introduce a motoring note, should I sell Supra to buy an IC-7800?

GM6KKP/GM0IRZ

Still got your 'ears on' ? - just a bloke
Had a Ham International multimode in the car and another -
with burner - at home.
As a SWL since 1938 who had no ham licence because
of the ridiculous morse requirement I really loved ssb across the
pond and 2m was so boring after it.
Just been up to the shack and there is absolutely nothing
either on the old and new legit cb bands (or on
2m for that matter, who buys all these rigs?) but try
a listen to 27.555 MHz - the "triple nickel" - when
the skip is in; it is a good pointer to 6m.
To introduce a motoring note, should I sell Supra to buy
an IC-7800?
GM6KKP/GM0IRZ

?????
well it *looks* like english.......
?????
Still got your 'ears on' ? - Algernon
"well it *looks* like english......."

Actually it's Jargon; Only not motoring!