changed speedo now need to change miles - Ford Dagenham
Hello all.

I have just changed the speedometer in my wifes car because the needle stopped working. (Ford Fiesta L 1990 year)

The new unit works fine we now need to change the mileage to match the old one i understand we will need to declare this if we sell the car.

How do we adjust the mileage without ruining the new speedometer unit.

The mileometer worked fine on the old one so the mileage is correct.

--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
changed speedo now need to change miles - Altea Ego
Is the new speed brand new? whats the reading on it?

I would be tempted not to. I would document what you have done and when. The reading on the old speedo, receipt, date etc. Reading on the new speedo. Possibly a photo. of the old and new together.

If the speedo has more miles than the old one, then all your evidence, plus the old a new mot with different mileages will be a good audit trail.

changed speedo now need to change miles - Dynamic Dave
As RF says, leave it as it is and document everything. Keep the old clock in the boot somewhere as proof of previous mileage.

Clocking is a serious offence no matter why the reason was.

A garage I know, when they ever change a clock include a note in the service history booklet detailing date of change & mileage recorded on the old clock.

If you do try and "clock it" you might end up with misaligned digits and screw up the mechanism, thus preventing it from recording accurately.

Hello again.

Thanks for your replies.

The new speedometer was purchased from my local ford dealership the mileage is 000209 the current mileage is 65000.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
changed speedo now need to change miles - Cliff Pope
So winding a speedo forwards so that it displays a higher, correct, mileage, is an offence, but replacing a speedo with one that under-reads is not? There must be a nice blackmarket in low-mileage secondhand speedos then!

When I have done this (40 year old car, replaced duff speedo with another equally old) I experimented on the old one first, to make sure I had got the hang of it.
Hi.

I agree cliff some dealers i wont name do it for financial gain.

They need to sort all these silly laws out as it should be totally illegal to even touch the speedometer.

Isn't it illegal in the states.

Iam being totally legal and i don't see that displaying the correct mileage is illegal i will ask my local police station and have them witness me when i correct the mileage if be.

--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
changed speedo now need to change miles - MarkSmith
> it should be totally illegal to even touch the speedometer.

:-) That would make them rather hard to repair. You could have to write off a brand new car if the speedo broke! :-)

Cheers,
Mark
changed speedo now need to change miles - StuW
On a 1990 car is it even worth trying to correct the mileage its 14 years old so mileage at this age is largely irrelevant and its not likely add or decrease to the value since it will only be worth a few hundred at most. I'm surprised you bought a brand new one from a dealer how much did it cost out of curiousity?
changed speedo now need to change miles - mfarrow
Well the one he got did have 200 miles already on it so it must have been slightly cheaper. Probably took from another car, or a test piece, and now surplus to requirements. (Maybe it had really done 100200 miles ;-) ). To be honest, too much fuss is had over keeping an exact recording of the mileage: after all, the unit measures wheel revolutions, not miles, so they're going to be out by a factor, as for speed accuracy.
Hello.

The reason it had 200 miles on it is because i used it a few times after changing it.

The speedo cost £45.00

It was new.

The car has no visible rust anywhere and i doubt rust will appear in the next few years as the car has been waxoiled every 3 years anyway and dinotrolled.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
changed speedo now need to change miles - frostbite
Did the mileage recorder on the old one keep going, Martin?

If so, and hope this doesn't upset you, you could have tried the 'repair' I have been using on my Scorpio speedo for several years.

Periodically, when it fails, I remove the nearest bulb to the centre of the needle, spray WD40 in the hole, replace all - back in business for another 18 months or so.
On a 1990 car is it even worth trying to correct
the mileage its 14 years old

So it's got 26 more years of life left in it!
I expect FD likes to look after his car, keeps it serviced and Waxoyled, and likes to maintain a proper service record.
Hi

I have 2 fords

1 1995 mondeo lx
1 1990 Fiesta L

They were both purchased new and have had full ford service on anything right down the a bulb.

The speedo was reading 10 mph at around 30 the mileometer still worked.

The new speedo works fine.

I like ford cars i always have i can even remember that old ford 105e that i had in sky blue that lasted until 1974 and also had full ford service.

What kind of car/s do you drive/owned cliff.

--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
changed speedo now need to change miles - frostbite
I like ford cars i always have i can even remember
that old ford 105e that i had

Likewise! Even down to the wide wheels and the Peco twin chrome exhaust that so delighted my neighbours.
changed speedo now need to change miles - Dynamic Dave
Martin,

If you *really* do want the new speedo to indicate the reading of the old one, then goto a breakers yard and get a scrap one to experiment with. Armed with a set of watchmakers screwdrivers and various other small tools, see if you can clock the scrapper one.

While at the breakers, also cut off a small amount of speedo cable. Fit this into a cordless drill and see what mph the speedo reads before you start pulling it apart.

Don't try and just turn / force the numbers as you'll more than likely break the locking wheels that hold them in position. The knack is to slightly lift up the locking wheels above the odometer numbers itself. Better still see if you can slide the bar out and remove the locking wheels altogether, then replace once you've got the correct numbers set.

It can be fiddly, and if done incorrectly the odometer numbers will be out of alignment - thus highlighting that it has been clocked.

Once re-assembled, test the speedo with the cordless drill to see if it reads the same and that the odometer works correctly.

Pull apart and rebuild the scrapper one a few times. Once you feel confident, have a go at the new one you've bought.

What kind of car/s do you drive/owned cliff.

I have never been a Ford man, but I think that's largely a matter of accident. If the cheapest car I could buy with my £10 of saved up pocket money in 1966 had been a Ford, I expect I'd be with Fords still. Instead I got a Triumph Mayflower. Then for £45, a Triumph Roadster. I've had a Triumph 2000 for about 8 years now. For regular use as our main car I have a 1993 Volvo 240. It's done 296,000 miles with hardly anything replaced, but I like to keep a record, like you. If my speedometer broke I'd certainly want to wind the new one on a few 100,000.
For fun I've a 1949 Ferguson TE20 tractor (TR2 engine!), and I've owned a couple of LandRovers.

Hi

Volvo's are renowned for going on forever.

What kind of condition is it in.

How does it drive

--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Hi
Volvo's are renowned for going on forever.
What kind of condition is it in.
How does it drive

Well, just like a car that's not got anything wrong with it. Smooth, quiet, roomy, bit slow, but then tanks are, virtually rust-free. It's just passed the MOT emissions test easily.
If you are thinking of getting one, look at the Volvo Owners Club website. The highest mileage one has done 2m miles, but about 400,000 is more normal.