VW Sharan- Rev Limiter - Simbad
Just purchased a 99 (v) VW Sharan 2.0. The rev limiter seems to be cutting in at just 4500 rpm..any ideas..I was guessing this may be an ECU controlled figure that can be changed ?

Also have manifold blowing noise and a little oil leaking from sump..any advice on these 2 welcome if you have experience but i am guessing i just need to take it to my local mechanic to find out the damage !!

Cheers

Sim
VW Sharan- Rev Limiter - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
The ECU is limiting the revs to 4500 because it is locked into \'limp home\' mode. The car has an engine management fault which needs investigating and rectifying. There should be a fault code logged onto the ECU which can be downloaded. The exhaust blow may be the problem, allowing excess oxygen into the exhaust confusing the Lambda sensor.
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!!
VW Sharan- Rev Limiter - Altea Ego
The rev limiter is ECU controlled, and no it cant \"just be changed\". Its limiting there for a couple of reasons

1/Its a diesel.
2/There is a another problem the ECU perceives, and is limiting damage. Any check lights on?
thanks for the advice- any ideas on the best option for getting the issue diagnosed... go to VW or other- i am guessing that only VW will be able to diagnose correctly or can tuning companies etc also do this?
Diagnostics for VAG is fairly comprehensively covered by most scanner manufacturers, I use VAG-com personally but Interro Reflex, Sykes-Pickavant ACR4 cover VW well so shouldnt be a problem for a tuning/diagnostics service.
Andrew

--
Thanks again, Really appreciate your advice. People like u that make these forums so worthwhile...

i ended up taking to VW had a full service plugs were bad and all filters old etc (despite FSH)
they claimed that the limiter is kicking in at4850 which they said was correct- rev counter seems to show it kicks in just before but i guess the comp is more accurate than the rev counter ! but does 4850 sound right- the red line on the counter is 5500 and it seems like it would be better suited as it is soon at 4800 if overtaking. does the 4850 sound like the correct cut in of the limiter ??

One more issue that arose- the gearbox is leaking from the seal- only drips but enough to spoil the drive- they said leave it as it is an 8 hour job probably just for a gasket- any advice.
VW Sharan- Rev Limiter - Roberson
Hi,

I think you've done the best thing by having it properly serviced. I see what you mean if the rev counter has a red line of 5500 but will only reach 4850 as I too would expect to rev to this red line.

What does your handbook say the maximum permitted engine speed is? Sometimes the dial can be a misleading. My Volkswagen Polo has a red-hatched zone (for brief use) at 6000 to 6300 where it then becomes solid red. The handbook says maximum continuous operation speed is 6300, which contradicts the rule that this zone is for intermittent use. So the garage may be right, but its still a long way off the redline in your case. Failing that, have a look and see if the handbook stated any maximum road speeds for each gear. You may then find out what the intended redline may be.

I'm no mechanic, but its probably best to leave the gearbox and have it topped up at every service interval instead.

I hope this makes sense and gives you some ideas.

Roberson
May be a bit off the wall but when you switch on the ignition does the engine management light (silhouette of an engine with a lightning flash thro' it) come on briefly and go out when you start up?
Andrew

--
VW Sharan- Rev Limiter - DL
Is the engine Diesel or Petrol?

Reading Andrew's first reply, I'd assume it was a Petrol but reading others suggests it's a Diesel!

I'm confused.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
VW Sharan- Rev Limiter - Ivor E Tower
Simbad - please join us at www.fordgalaxy.org.uk and post your queries. We are a sympathetic lot (OK so some of us have a strange sense of humour) but no problem is too much for some of our \"techies\". All Sharan, Alhambra owners welcome as well as Galaxy owners.

See you there soon.....