Reporting pot holes - Greg R
I reported a number of pot holes to my local council about four weeks ago. The pot holes in question are quite big and causes a hazard to motorists. I thought that since we pay silly money for road tax, and being the country who pay the most to use the roads with the most cars, I would have thought that it would take at most a week for a pot hole to be repaired.

Four weeks past and after traveling the same roads, the council have painted around them and not repaired them.

This is very strange; they acknowledge the pot holes but fail to repair it immedietely. It reminds me of Rogue Traders: they take the money (fuel and road tax), the finished product is appaling (pot holes) and they run away. Shouldn't there be a law protecting us consumers where if we pay for the road, and the road is poorly/ not maintained we should get a refund on our road tax and fuel taxation. Isn't that why we pay road taxes in the first place?

I really hope that a new government with a rational mind will be elected very soon. I am still waiting though.
Reporting pot holes - Sooty Tailpipes
I regularly report defects in three areas,
Nottinham City
Gedling Borough
Rushcliff Borough

Only the former takes any notice, with swift repairs, the latter two completely ignore them.
Reporting pot holes - Greg R
So what should we do if a council ignores our reports. If we pay stupid money for road tax, shouldn't they repair the road swiftly? Is there anyone to complain to like an ombudsman somewhere?
Reporting pot holes - just a bloke
sadly.. "road tax" stopped having anything to do with roads a long time ago... if they used all the revenue from "Road tax" on our roads we would have the best roads in the world! The m25 would be a triple deck 8 line super high way!

Er.. sorry about that...

Anyway, the local council is responsible for road maintenance and it funds it partly from council tax and partly from central gov.

I think if you report a pothole and 4 weeks later they've drawn a circle around it but still havn't repaired it, ring them up tell them you have just busted a wheel in the same hole you reported to them 4 weeks ago and see what happens.
Reporting pot holes - Rob C
... I would have thought that it would take at most
a week for a pot hole to be repaired.

Optimism is such a rare quality these days.

Perhaps pot-holes are dealt with using the same criteria as s************ placement. You'll need a few deaths at the site before anything is done about it.
Blimey, why's that happened? All I said was s************.
It's done it again???

Jehovah, Jehovah, Jehovah!

(Python reference there of course)
Reporting pot holes - No Do$h
It's done it again???
Jehovah, Jehovah, Jehovah!
(Python reference there of course)

Nice bit of halibut, was it?
Reporting pot holes - No Do$h
Ah, you mean Greed Cameras, aka Gordon's pocket money makers or the law enforcement device that can't attend a mugging.

The rationale is something like this. This is a motoring site; those accursed things are the antithesis of motoring, so they're a swear word around here.

:::shrugs:::

I don't make all the rules around here.....
No Dosh
Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk