oil weeping - Vauxhall Astra - sajid
Just had a oil change on my 94 reg astra 1.4, on opening the bonnet i have noticed that there is a film of oil around the bits where the head gasket is, the car is parked downhill, one of mates says that the head gasket seal is not sealed properley, does it mean that i have to skim the heads and place a new seal on the head gasket the car had a head gasket changed
oil weeping - Civic8
should have been sorted by dealer.I doubt it is your responsablity as it is new,head gaskets do sweat but as your motor is new I dont think it should happen.It is under warranty so take it back.ie up to them not you to sort out?
oil weeping - 20w50
wouldnt have thought a 94 car is gonna be touched by a main dealer,
look into it with a small reoputable garage,
put it this way on a micra nissan wanted 600, got it done for 220 in the end
oil weeping - Mikey Jay
I think we are talking at cross purposes here.I don't un derstand what Sajid means by head gasket seal. The gasket is the seal. I suspect what is leaking is the rocker cover gasket which is usually made from rubber. This may be leaking as the car is parked on a slope. It wouldn't be leaking past the head gasket normally. The rocker cover gasket may need replacing and the rocker cover should not be overtightened on installation as this can on some cars bend the cover and cause a leak. Mikey
oil weeping - Civic8
I think it is a case of me not reading the post correctly.I read quickly and gave an impression it was a dealer fault.I cant appologise enough.but will look more closely at posts made.before I answer.I gather his point was head gasket replaced
but is still getting a leak at head gasket.my only answer is the head should have been skimmed before.ie a warped head lots of probs.
oil weeping - Vauxhall Astra - Dynamic Dave
First thing to do is wash the oil off with some Gunk, or similar - then see if it returns.

It could just be some spillage from when the oil was changed, ie, the clumsy grease monkey missed the filler hole on the rocker box cover and some of it ran down the side.

However, as mentioned further up this thread, you're not confusing the rocker cover gasket for the head gasket by chance?

The rocker gasket is made from cork, and they're prone to leaking on Vauxhalls of this era. I gave up replacing them when I had many leaky ones on an old Cavalier. In the end I used the existing one and gave it a light smearing of silicone rubber sealant.

oil weeping - Vauxhall Astra - sajid
sorry about that not being so clear its the rocker cover thats the prob, does that mean i have to get a new rocker cover if i need to reseal it with sillicone grease?
oil weeping - Vauxhall Astra - Dynamic Dave
Not silicone grease - silicone sealant. The two are different. One remains a grease, while the other cures and becomes a rubber seal.

If you fit a new rocker gasket, then don't apply a sealant as all that will happen is the gasket will slide out when you do up the bolts due to having to compress the new cork gasket. I made that mistake.

If you use the same gasket, then the gasket will have already been compressed, and no problem adding sealant. I *suppose* you could compress a new gasket, then remove, and refit with sealant. But if you fit a new one, chances are it will seal for a while anyway.

As I previously mentioned, it's common for the rocker gasket to weep on Vauxhalls of this era. It's when it starts pouring down the side of the engine you have to consider it's time to replace the gasket.

While you have the rocker cover off, take the opportunity to also replace the wire breather gauze, which is situated in the cover.