Adding a passenger Airbag to a Focus? - robert
Hi,

I\'ve just found the perfect Focus (2003.5 Zetec Estate) for us today - only one snag - only a drivers side Airbag.

The dealer confirmed that it had the \"delete passenger side airbag\" option fitted - and then told me it was impossible to have one retro fitted.

Question is - is that really true? Surely its a matter of fitting the bag/cover and replacing the sensor unit in the centre console with one for 2 bags rather than one.

Comments much appreciated as its the only thing thats putting us off buying the car as safety is important to us.
In anticipation.

Robert
Adding a passenger Airbag? - DL
No, retrofitment of airbags is not possible, end of story.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Adding a passenger Airbag? - Altea Ego
Dealer is right, not economically feasible to retro fit a passenger airbag. If it does not have what you want its not the perfect car for you, if you want the passenger airbag, find another car - there are plenty about.
Adding a passenger Airbag to a Focus? - Cyd
To state that it is impossible is not true. However it is not economically viable. You would need a complete new facia, probably a body harness, maybe extra sensors and the requisite ecu. Oh, and that passenger airbag. All in it would cost more than the car you are thinking of buying.

Look for one that's got what you require. Or settle for no pass airbag.
Right,

I can now bring this to a close as I have the FACTS of the matter. Not being funny - but there were a lot of subjective opinions being expressed in response to my original posting.

I wrote to Ford with the Reg and Chassis numbers and formally asked them to respond.

They wrote back and advised that the modification COULD be made - as the wiring was already in place in the vehicle wiring loom. No modifications to wiring or dash were required. I would need a new passenger airbag assembly, some warning stickers and the airbag control unit replacing with one to control 2 airbags rather than 1. The cost of parts would be about £450, with 2 hours of dealer time to do the work and program the new control module. So far so good.

The bad news is however that the modification would void the Ford Direct warranty.

So, balancing the facts - we won't be going ahead - the risk of no warranty coupled with them essentially not wanting to do it more than outweigh the benefits of all the other nice to have options.

So - there you are - facts established and matter closed.

:))

Regards .............. Robert
Adding a passenger Airbag to a Focus? - Bill Payer
The bad news is however that the modification would void the
Ford Direct warranty.

The facts are the facts but I find it bizarre that even if the work was carried out by a Ford dealer the modification would invalidate the warranty. Why would that be?
I agree. In speaking with them their logic seemed to be that as a factory installed safety system had been modified that they were not prepared to take any risk and that the safe answer, for them, would be no.

Adding a passenger Airbag to a Focus? - Altea Ego
Well if you want to be pedantic about facts,......

There were not a *lot* of subjective postings, there were three.
One of then was mine where I suggested it was *economically* not viable, and was not the car for you - as indeed it turned out not to be.

May I suggest that if you are going to come on here and insult those who offer opinions (subjective, factual, correct or otherwise) to your questions then dont bother to ask for any next time you have a query.
Hi,

"Economically viable" is a subjective view. I would have been quite happy paying the £600 or so if Ford had fully agreed. We will have to agree to disagree on that point. I accept that this may seem a high premium to pay - but the car was fitted with a particular combination of factory options which were attractive to us and in our view worth the additional expense.

All I was trying to do was outline facts - which is why I wrote to Ford. The fact is I actually wanted to buy the car and was prepared to pay for the work. The fact is that the modification was technically feasible and that Ford agreed that to be the case. However, the condition they placed upon me, i.e. no warranty, wasn't acceptable so I had a simple binary choice.

So, no insult was intended - so I am sorry that you feel that you have been. I think we all need to be careful about mixing up opinions with facts.

Regards

Adding a passenger Airbag to a Focus? - LeePower
Hi

If you really want to add this to a Focus, Have a look on Ebay
New airbags & control moduals are often for sale on here, Just check the parts numbers are the same as the ones Fords quoted for this particular Focus.