Golf 1.6 gearbox - Litter Picker
My 2003 Golf 1.6 has had a difficult gearchange from new. The dealer wants to remove and dismantle the gearbox to cure it. This seems a bit worrying on a 2000 mile car.

Can anyone tell me if this is a common fault and what are they likely to do inside the box?

My VW dealer has been very helpful in getting this sorted.
Golf 1.6 gearbox - Dynamic Dave
At 2000 miles the car's hardly run in. Personally I would give it a few more miles to see if it'll loosen up before letting the garage strip down the gearbox.
Have they checked that the gear linkage is aligned properly and that it has the correct amount of oil in it?
Golf 1.6 gearbox - keo-the-dog
agree with DD it seems a bit extreme stripping a box with 2000 miles on the clock ask them to check the linkages
Golf 1.6 gearbox - Litter Picker
Dealer has adjusted linkage but it made no difference and they told me it hadnt before I got car back. I assume that they have had this fault before. Service advisors are helpful but unable to discuss anything technical so cant tell me what is to be done.
Golf 1.6 gearbox - shoei
I to have a 2003 1.6SE Golf with a very tight gearbox, also when changing from 2nd to 3rd the gearbox goes tight and won`t engage any gear at all until you bring it back to the neutral position and give it a wiggle. I thought that it might just need "running in" but I have now done 13500 miles and will tell the dealer when my service light comes on, anybody else had the experience of the "ghost gear" ? or what could be the problem ?