RX8 alternatives - Chuffer Dandridge
Our 17 year old son takes his driving test in 10 days time, and if he passes we intend to buy him a car as a present.

He will mainly be using the car for his ½ mile journey to college, and for his part time job delivering Pizzas, so the Mazda RX8 is obviously not suitable.

This narrows the choice down to a Peugeot 206cc, Peugeot 306cc, Chateram 7, Masda MX5, MG TF, or Morgan 4/4.

Which would be the more suitable?

Insurance is not a problem, as we will be insuring the car in his Grandmothers name, and adding him as a named driver.
RX8 alternatives - tunacat
Kindly get him a hardtop -I like my pizza still hot.

RX8 alternatives - Marcos{P}
Is this a wind up?
RX8 alternatives - Wilco {P}
Is this a wind up?

Er, ...www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=20...7

Please let this be the end of it?
RX8 alternatives - Vansboy
Hi alan, is it April 1st already??

I can't believe you're seriously considering buying a new car, for your lad, without providing proper insurance for him!!

If you're not winding us up, get him a cheaper, MUCH cheaper first car, insure it in HIS name, let him build up some no claims bonus in his own right & get a better car after he's gained some motoring experience, over the next few months.

VB
RX8 alternatives - Baskerville
Hey, why not get him a Honda Fireblade? Those little scooters are very trendy these days and are so much better for short journeys like this.
RX8 alternatives - oldtoffee
Don't go French - no self repsecting pizza company would tolerate the delays associated with demisting a pizza-laden car with feeble air con. MG, Caterham, Morgan - too many break downs = late deliveries = free pizzas. Go Japanese with the Fireblade as recommended above and bolt on a side car for Granny and the pizzas.
RX8 alternatives - spinner
I think you'll find his granny's insurance won't cover commercial usage / the pizza delivery part.

Get him a Honda C90 for that ;-], or if you will go ahead with the car part, get a Honda Jazz, at least it won't get nicked while he's getting the change from the grateful customers.
RX8 alternatives - NowWheels
Wouldn't a Mercedes SL be a better choice? Young and inexperienced drivers are more likely to have accidents, and the Merc will be much safer than the French cars.

Mercs aren't as expensive as some people think: you can get an entry-level SL for under £60,000, which isn't that much more than you would pay for a street of terraced houses in Blackburn.

The only downside I can see is that there doesn't seem to be a purpose-built pizza-carrier in the SL's options list ...
RX8 alternatives - Mudguts
I agree with the suggestion to "go Japanese", maybe a Lexus LS430.

Lets face it, as anyone who has been to university recently can vouch, it's a real grind and spending ones spare hours delivering pizzas in one of these would help to relax the little fella after a hard day in the lecture hall.

They also have a large boot and individual climate control so he could set it to 'hot' for the areas of the car the pizzas were located to save them getting too cool.

Has he "fallen in love" with any particular car yet?
RX8 alternatives - Altea Ego
Cardews son will have F18 going cheap soon, slightly bent, but still useable on the high st. The Anti Radar missiles will be useful for the speed cameras.
RX8 alternatives - Altea Ego
Kept warm with the afterburners the pizza needs to be ordered "crispy"
RX8 alternatives - Mark (RLBS)
I know its amusing, it certainly made me smile. But I think one wind up thread by a wind up merchant is enough for this month.

Now, if you want to go into the other RX8 thread and wind up people who need it, that would be up to you.

But this thread is locked.