do roadworkers annoy you? - sp30
ok im a tree surgeon and recently our gang had to dismantle a large ash tree that was posing a hazard to the users of the road it was situated on. we had 800,400,200 yard warnings and trafic controll warnings too. the amount of verbal abuse and gestures was incredible!
i was in the tree but the lads on the lolipops were amazed at the publics attitude to been held up.
has anyone got any views why as a people we are so wound up?
do roadworkers annoy you? - patently
They weren't annoyed - they were amazed to see you.

Usually we get big signs warning us that all but one lane is closed off and the speed limit is 1 mph "to protect workers in the road". Cue mile after mile of empty roadworks without a worker to be seen...
do roadworkers annoy you? - Mapmaker
Patently: Do you think that \'...all lanes but one are closed off\' would read a little better? I think I have a slight problem with all... is.

And then what is an empty roadwork? A big hole with nothing (sic) in it?

[Errrr I\'d better go home before I get into trouble.]
I stand corrected, mapmaker. Thank you.
do roadworkers annoy you? - Mapmaker
Do you really stand whilst typing at your computer, most clever. Sorry, couldn't resist!

'I admit to being pedantic and cheeky, but prefer descriptions such as accurate and provocative.'
Do you really stand whilst typing at your computer, most clever.

I'm afraid to say that I was in fact right that time.... but do keep watch as I'm sure this run of good fortune won't last.
do roadworkers annoy you? - tobyn
the majority of people have a relatively tiny amount of control over their lives. they think they do but they don't. they have to go to work to pay the bills, they're told what to do all day, they're taxed and eventually die.

as a result they become increasingly bitter and depressed and subconsciously they pick up on situations where they can exert some form of what they see as control - swearing at roadworkers holding them up a perfect example. so they vent their pent up frustration and feel masterful before sliding back into their fairly pointless and humdrum existence.
do roadworkers annoy you? - No Do$h
the majority of people have a relatively tiny amount of control
over their lives.

And the rest are moderators.

Have to say I agree with you here. There are so many frustrations for Joe Public in every restriction and infringement on free thought that it's small wonder people find the most inappropriate moments to release their safety valve.

Motoring is a classic example. In your safe little steel cell you are hidden from those that would influence your decision and so use the opportunity to let rip.

Unfortunate really. I don't advocate anarchy but do believe that people will find their own level of safety if just given long enough to find it. Sad thing is, in the time most would take to find that happy medium, one of those less quick on the uptake will have wiped them out in a 90mph shunt.
do roadworkers annoy you? - Andrew-T
I know that what you say will ring true for many people, ND, but you have taken the wrong perspective. Try to imagine life 100 or even 50 years ago - for most people serious travelling was something they could only dream about once or twice a year; not much spare to spend; shorter life expectancy. Don't tell me today's misery is due to deprivation. May be because of having too many choices to make, and feeling lousy after every wrong choice?
do roadworkers annoy you? - OldPeculiar
We're in a rather grumpy mood today aren't we Toby?:)

I don't have a problem with roadworkers actually working - I'm not so keen on those that don't. A while back they were doing some maintanance on the bridges over the M4 (which involved lane closures and long tailbacks) under one end of the bridge a large scaffold tower had been constructed right up to the bottom of the bridge. there was a platform at the top that with plastic sheeting creating 4 'walls. on one occasion I noticed that some of the sheeting had been pulled back (to let some air in I guess) On this platform was an old sofa and a small table with what looked like a stove and a kettle boiling happily.....
do roadworkers annoy you? - Blue {P}
Well it sounds like they were just saving time, they've got to have breaks, at least this way they get to take their break up the tower, rather than having to walk all the way to a break room and then walk all the way back... ;-)

Blue
do roadworkers annoy you? - cockle {P}
Well it sounds like they were just saving time, they've got
to have breaks, at least this way they get to take
their break up the tower, rather than having to walk all
the way to a break room and then walk all the
way back... ;-)

Probably spot on, Blue.
Personally, having worked on a fair number of road side sites over the years, and still occasionally do, the roadworkers get a great deal of sympathy from me.
The majority of people on the road have no idea what a dangerous, unpleasant working environment the roadside is.
In the winter they are working in the wet and cold, no minimum working temperature at the roadside I'm afraid. In the summer it gets very hot and sticky, no air con either, unless you count the idiots who think a 40 limit to protect the workforce means everyone but them and create a nice wave of turbulence to cool you down as they drive past at 70. Actually, that does cool you down, the problem is then whether you can keep your feet; sorry everyone, thank God for cameras in roadworks.
When they get a break for a cuppa it's probably a half mile walk to a portacabin, if they're lucky, or the front of their van to drink from their flask and eat their sandwiches, there generally aren't any canteens or restrooms at roadworks. Probably about the same distance walk if you need to answer nature's call during the day as well.
Generally, I find most people who are keen to have a moan at roadworkers tend to work in an aircon'd office with a coffee machine at the end of the room, a toilet just down the corridor and a canteen and restroom on the floor above.
Of course, I can also generalise and say that whenever I go into an office block everyone just seems to be sitting around with coffee cups on their desks, eating sweets and chatting on the phone, never seems to be any work going on.....

I maintain, respect everyone for what they do, we each are part of society and everyone is needed to do their little bit, however great or small that may appear to be.

Cockle
do roadworkers annoy you? - terryb
Personally, I'm always polite to stop/go men (you see many more of them on the Continent than you do over here these days) and wave a cheery "thank you" to them as I pass.

To do otherwise just risks being held up by them even longer!
Terry

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand"
do roadworkers annoy you? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I'd rather see stop/go men- at least they can show some intelligent approach to traffic flow - unlike temporary traffic lights.
do roadworkers annoy you? - billy25
in this town, the stop/go men are the same chaps you beat at pool the night before, they see you coming, and swing the sign to stop, then stand there grinning at you for several minutes, before they let you go!. yep they wind me up,no end.

billy.
do roadworkers annoy you? - OldPeculiar
I think some tempory traffic lights are manually controlled. Last summer I was in a queue at some roadworks and saw this workman led on the grass by the road with his cap over his eyes and a small box with a wire off to the lights in his hand. He would occasionally press a button on said box and hey presto the lights would change. Now thats the sort of job I could cope with.
do roadworkers annoy you? - helicopter
sp30 - I wanted to be a tree surgeon too but I couldn't stand the sight of sap!

Serious comment below.

4 - roadworkers this morning on my trip to work clearing rubbish by the roadside.

Actually 1 languidly picking up litter with one of those little grippers and three standing round watching and scratching their posteriors.

Yes they annoy me 'cos its big money that I pay in Council Tax to subsidise these guys.

do roadworkers annoy you? - CM
Why can't we be like the Japanese. There road works are done as quickly as possible and throughout the night if need be. The site is always clean and tidy and the workers actually work rather than drink tea in a tent. You also have the benefit of not having to divert your eyes from hairy cracks.
do roadworkers annoy you? - Andrew-T
But in times of computerisation there is a real shortage of job opportunities for professional posterior-scratchers. We must accept their skills instead of just giving them benefit.
do roadworkers annoy you? - frostbite
Anyone who has to stop and go in the middle of the road has my sympathy.
do roadworkers annoy you? - PoloGirl
>do roadworkers annoy you?

Not as much as the problems that SP30 and Billy25 have with their keyboards - the shift key can be found a little to the left or a little to the right of the space bar, and the apostrophe key is commonly two keys to the right of L. Try it - you might like it!

Tongue out of cheek, back to the question in hand...

Roadworkers annoy me when they force you to drive in convoy, even though the road is clear, and there's noone working on it, and when they leave stuff all over the place at night for passing students to collect and distribute all over the city.

However, I love Stop-Go men. I'll stop there before we fall into another "how to get let out" thread. ;-)

do roadworkers annoy you? - No Do$h
Pologirl! Your are incorrigible, you really are.
do roadworkers annoy you? - Alfafan {P}
Polo Girl
You forgot to metion the comma and full stop keys, just to the right of the M
do roadworkers annoy you? - smokie
I discussed empty roadworks with someone once, he said that there might be things going on which are not apparent to passing motorists, or nothing going on because an external dependency had not been met.

All very mysterious eh?

No, I wasn't convinced either...
do roadworkers annoy you? - pdc {P}
Thelwall Viaduct is a good example smokie. The work is actually going on underneath the viaduct. You don't see the workers, just cones on the topside.
do roadworkers annoy you? - Mark (RLBS)
An authority has a certain amount of money to spend on the roads. They don't like spending it in the early part of the year in case they don't have money for something else or somethign important towards the end of the year.

However, any money not spent by the end of the year is taken back.

WIP accruals count as money spent.

Therefore, towards the end of the FY there tends to be an awful lot of work started, the entire budget for which is then accrued as it is work in progress, even thought they may not have the manpower to progress it very fast, or even at all, at that time.