VW Polo GT Intermittent problem - stuartjw
Hi,

I have just purchased a VW Polo Coupe GT H reg and most of the time it is a good car. However I have had two intermittent problems and if anyone knows what it could be I would be very grateful for any help.

Last week I drove round a roundabout and I thought I felt it go to cut out (Extremely briefly) but it kept going. A while later I stopped at a roundabout and when it was clear pulled away. It started kangarooing but did not stall. I pulled up at the side and left it running for a bit trying to rev it but it would not go but would not stall either. After switching it off for a minute or so and restarting it it went but was a bit erratic.

I went to halfords and got some injector cleaner and filled it up with optimax and after half the tank the engine ran suprisingly smoothly for a car with 132000 miles on it.

Then today I started it and it was lumpy and erratic - Reversed off the drive and pulled away and it was doing it again. I found that if you hardly touched the accelarator though it drove and if you put your foot down it would go to die but not actually stall.

Has anyone got any thoughts? Have just purchased a new fuel filter but have not fitted it yet and changed the air filter.
VW Polo GT Intermittent problem - Civic8
Do you know whether it is injection or a carb.reason I ask is carb would give this problem and being an H reg could be?.If carb could be float chamber prob has been mentioned before on this site.
It has multi point injection. There is an alarm connected to it - One of them sparkrite things. It is not used but apparently has an immoboliser circuit on it. The alarm does something weird anyway which is set it self if you beep the horn and switch itself off if you beep it again - There is apparently no connection to the horn though.
Could an immoboliser circuit give this kind of behaviour?
VW Polo GT Intermittent problem - Civic8
I may be wrong here but the immoboliser is normally connected to fuel pump or ignition relay.so preventing car being stolen.If the alarm is not correctly fitted it is best removed.
as it may cause the fuel pump to stop working.that is if it has been installed incorrectly.not sure about that alarm but would say fuel starvation would cause it? I expect some whom nows better will correct me?
VW Polo GT Intermittent problem - the conductor
hi check the ht leads. if they are still fitted with the metal shrouds over the spark plugs these can earth out when old causing intermittant loss of spark.
also check all the little braded vacumn pipes around the engineas these split with old age.
is there any oil in the dizzy cap?
VW Polo GT Intermittent problem - Peter D
This sounds like an Ht problem Check and double check the HT king lead for correct fitting and resistance. This may explain why going round a roundabout triggerd your prob. Having said that this could be a fuel pump problem. Listen to it then you turn the ignition on, is it a sween wine for 3 seconds or is it all lumpy and tired sounding. Come Back. Regards Peter
I will check the fuel pump but I have had a look under when running and it sounds OK - Does not really sound like there is a problem. Will Check the 3 second wine when starting tomorrow - Thanks for your replies.