fraudulent insurance claim - chris k
recently i recieved a letter from my insurance company asking why i had not reported an accident which happened 12 months ago.
After the initial shock i explained that there hadn't been one, i was then given time/date/location and informed them that not only had i ever been there i had no idea where it was.Now i am informed that i may lose my no claim bonus of 27 years. Does this kind of scam happen a lot.
fraudulent insurance claim - Altea Ego
check your phone bills, credit card bills, cash point withdrawals, work records etc - anything to prove you were somewhere else doing something.
fraudulent insurance claim - chris k
i have already had a print out from my clock card on the said day i left work at 16:30 the alleged accident happened at 15 :20
fraudulent insurance claim - Altea Ego
Bingo
fraudulent insurance claim - Cardew
Chris,

RF's 'Bingo' may be premature as proving you were at work is one thing. Can you also prove that your car was not at the scene of the accident?

There is also the possibility that your car number had been 'cloned'. See threads in the Backroom about this.

If you are confident that is was not your car involved, tell your insurance company you will take the matter up with the financial ombudsman if your NCB is affected.

C
fraudulent insurance claim - Dave N
I had a similar thing about a year ago. Except in my case, one of those ambulance chasing type solicitors got in touch, only because my reg numbers weren't registered with any insurer as I've got a traders policy. It seemed someone had taken my reg after seeing me hit a parked car, in a place I'd never been to. I told them to clear off and would not be telling my insurance co. as it quite clearly wasn't me. Their description of the vehicle was a silver 4X4, and I had a blue Nissan van. I didn't want to give them my insurers details, just in case my insurer just caved in a paid out, thereby affecting my premium etc. After numerous phone calls to the solicitors, they finally gave up. Then I got a letter from his insurance company direct, threatening to contact the police and report me for failing to provide my insurers details, so I told them to clear of also, and if they wanted my insurance details to go ahead and report me. They finally gave up when I told them that if they continued to harass me for an accident in a place I'd never been to, in a vehicle I didn't own, and for something the police had apparently already looked into but weren't taking further, then I'd sue them for the time and expenses I'd incured. Never heard any more after that.

I has probably taken this long to come to light, as it's only recently that all the details of insurance have been put on a central database, and I suspect some companies are now going through their files for previously unsolved claims, finding out who the insurers are, and taking it from there. Stand your ground, but I fear your insurer can do as they like ie. settle a claim, without recourse to you. After all, it will probably be cheaper for them to pay, and cost you your NCD etc, than it is to fight it.
fraudulent insurance claim - THe Growler
I didn't realise British society had regressed to the point where the accused has now to prove his own innocence......
fraudulent insurance claim - malteser
It certainly has, Big G and it WILL get worse. You & I are well out of it!
Roger.
fraudulent insurance claim - nick
Why when anyone has a problem it turns into a 'slag off Britain' thread? Try looking in your own backyards. Have a look at the United Nations Human Development Report and then tell me where nirvana is.
fraudulent insurance claim - Mark (RLBS)
Right, that's one view for each side so we'll leave it there and return to Motoring please.

Normal dictatorial, facistic, unsympathetic moderating will take place if the conversation continues as is.
fraudulent insurance claim - nick
More power to your editing finger Mark!
fraudulent insurance claim - THe Growler
Agreed but at one time British-ness was something to be envied, looked up to. A standard for decency, relative incorruptibility, justice and common sense. One of the reasons you've got so many people from lesser places who want to get in there, legally or any other way, to cash in.

Read chris k's post. He appears to be saying that a service of which he is a paying customer has accused him without any chance to explain on his part of failing to report an accident he never had. If he is correct (and if it were me aside from getting my attorney to leap all over people like this), why should he have to go to the time and trouble and indignity and cost of defending himself against something he says he never did because of some incompetent slipshod procedure?

..no further questions, your honour.

fraudulent insurance claim - Cardew
Growler,
Much as I agree with your sentiments about 'guilty until proved innocent' under British law, I suggest that this case is slightly different as he is not being prosecuted. Presumably someone - the other party in the accident? - has claimed that the car owned by Chris was involved in an accident; this therefore is a civil matter.

If you have an accident and the other person denies any involvement how do you gain redress other than reporting to your insurance company or suing?

If Chris is confident his car was not involved(and the other party cannot prove he was) I can't see the Insurance Company removing his NCB if he stands up to them.

C
fraudulent insurance claim - Andrew-T
If the claim against Chris was based simply on a sighting of a no.-plate, who would swear in court that he had seen (e.g.) W503PKJ rather than WS03PXJ ? Of course if it was recorded on camera it would be a certainty .. ..