bit late with mot- does it matter????? - xsaradriver
Just had car back today after two weeks being repaired after accident. Got insurance, car tax and current mot. Mot runs out at weekend and can't get it in to be mot'd until early next week. Does it matter being few days late on the mot ????? I know you can legally drive without an mot as long as it is to an appointment for it. Because it is a citroen it is going to a main dealer for service and mot and as something ALWAYS needs replacing it isn't straight in and out like a friendly back street garage. Is it a case of fingers crossed and hope don't get pulled between mot expiry and date of new mot ??????????
bit late with mot- does it matter????? - Mark (RLBS)
fingers crossed it is.

Be aware that whilst no MOT does nto typically invalidate your insurance; if there is something about your car which would prevent it passing an MOT, that would breach your policy conditions (unroadworthy vehicle) and drop you right in the wossname if you had an accident.
bit late with mot- does it matter????? - patently
Can I suggest a taxi?

((Total Cost of Accident Repairs for 2+ cars) + (Cost of fine for no insurance)*(likelihood of serious MOT problem) + (Cost of fine for no MOT) + (Civil claim for damages for injury etc))*(likelihood of accident)>(cost of taxi fare)

bit late with mot- does it matter????? - J Bonington Jagworth
It is tempting fate, of course, but I have done it a few times in the past without mishap. I daresay that the opportunity will cease when HMG and the DVLC get their act together and our every movement (I use the term in all its senses) will be monitored...
bit late with mot- does it matter????? - frostbite
Likewise, occasionally let MOT slip a few days, even weeks. Not advisable but not the biggest sin either.
bit late with mot- does it matter????? - martint123
Read you insurance policy exclusions carefully. One of mine says vehicle has to be on 'roadworth condition' another says 'must have valid MOT'.
bit late with mot- does it matter????? - OldPeculiar
If you've got a Haynes manual run through the pre-MOT checks, you don't need any special tools and that should make you reasonably confident that the car is in a roadworthy condition. It may save you money as well, loads of cars fail just because of a broken bulb!
bit late with mot- does it matter????? - Graham
" It may save you money as well, loads of cars fail just because of a broken bulb!"

Cobblers. I've never heard of that happening. They say there's one gone shall I replace it. To which you reply yes please and you sale through.
bit late with mot- does it matter????? - Andrew-T
Graham - some places fail cars with a numberplate bulb. Then they run a full re-test after you have spent the necessary 50p. I suspect that the DoT pays for the re-test (you don't) and it is a small-scale scam.
I shared an office with a mathematician in the late 70s who drove a middle-aged Renault 5 (I think) and used to get a new MoT every 6 months for peace of mind. Not enough, unfortunately, for a year or two later he put a hose on the exhaust and topped himself.
bit late with mot- does it matter????? - tunacat
I was thinking maybe all the MOTs were to make absolutely sure the CO level was high enough, but I don't think the test measured the exhaust in the 70s.

Should have bought japanese?

;-)

( bad-taste police ahoy!!! )
bit late with mot- does it matter????? - malteser
Testing the emissions himself, no doubt?
Roger.
bit late with mot- does it matter????? - Hugo {P}
I appreciate a good joke just as much as the rest of you do, however I would be grateful if this line of humour could be brought to a close.

I too had a colleague who comitted suicude in this way. I also had a good friend who committed suicude in another way.

The circumstances concerning the colleague were very distressing. Apparently he had a very serious break up with a young lady who he adored. During his lunch hour he drove his car around to the back of the factory near the site boundry and did the deed.

Had he tried this a few months earlier he would have most likely been spotted in time. The ironic thing is that another colleague, who had retired a month or two before, used to walk the perimater every lunch time and would have most likely seen his car and taken action.

I have to say that accidental death is unnecessary whatever the circumstances, but suicide is extremely upsetting for the relatives. Childred of the deceased often never get over it, and the likelihood of depression and other mental illnesses for close friends and family is far greater.

The tragic thruth is that this can be avoided with the right support and care, and that person can be treated for his or her mental state that drove them to it.

Hugo
bit late with mot- does it matter????? - tunacat
Sorry you were upset H. I agree with what you say, but what's even more tragic is that even with the right support and care, some people still do it because they WANT to do it. My sister in law has attempted it umpteen times. She's had plenty of support and care, but she largely rejects it. What can the rest of us do? For her family I'm afraid it's reached a bit of a 'cry wolf' situation. When considering (or not) the effect on family and friends, are suiciders very desperate, or very selfish? Do they deserve pity, or scolding?

I too have had 2 colleagues who have commited suicide. I could make a quip about the effect of working with me, but I won't. Meanwhile, my mother slowly died from a nasty degenerative disease. She WANTED to go earlier, but was physically incapable of any method.

There are lots of nasty things that happen. When they happen to someone close, it's distressing. When they happen to someone unknown and distant, it's not as distressing, and jokes tend to crop up, as a bit of a release mechanism.

I've suffered with depression myself. Sometimes it's only humour that gets me through.

Sorry this is non-motoring, and sorry if I've further offended anyone. I'll say no more.

bit late with mot- does it matter????? - Mapmaker
Driving without an MOT is probably no big deal. But the moment you kill a child and are up in the dock for dangerous driving, then do you really want the counsel for the prosecution to say:

'This chap was an all round bad sort, he didn't even have an MOT - therefore he must be guilty.'

Compare counsel for the defence 'This chap was a thoroughly good sort, his car was always beautifully maintained, this was just a dreadful and tragic accident.'

If you were on the jury, you'd be more likely to send the first chap down, and acquit the second, wouldn't you. Don't risk it.

bit late with mot- does it matter????? - chris k
there are plenty of back street mot garages around take it to one of these, they will do it while you wait and cheaper. You will drive for years with an mot and never get stopped but the minute you drive without one you'll get pulled, its sods law.
bit late with mot- does it matter????? - smokie
Not always true, fortunately Chris. I simply forgot mine for quite a few months a couple of years back, and didn't even think about it till the tax was due. I was lucky to not get stopped...
bit late with mot- does it matter????? - Andy B
Spot on Chris,

I had an attack of apathy when I discovered my MOT had expired 6 days earlier, and stuck it on my to-do list.
Sods Law poked me in the eye and the same day I got done for speeding (2nd time in 24 years driving) by a mobile speedtrap and was given a producer.

I presented my expired MOT cert and was told I would be summonsed/fined!

Wrote a nice letter to the local constabulary in charge of prosecutions, enclosed old MOT and pleaded for forgiveness.

Nice lady let me off, but lesson learnt!

Have pleaded with several MOT stations to send me an annual reminder without a single success.

Andy
bit late with mot- does it matter????? - Mapmaker
Get your MOT done at a nice friendly local non-chain garage. They're glad of the work, so send you an annual reminder (mine does, anyway).
bit late with mot- does it matter????? - Chris M
Testing stations should now always offer you a windscreen reminder sticker.

Chris M
Unless your car has spent considerable time off the road 'between owners', the MoT should come up about the anniversary of its first registration. So you just have to remember your car's birthday as well as SWMBO's, GF's, MiL's and the others.
bit late with mot- does it matter????? - davemar
That really depends upon how difficult it is for the owners to get an MOT done. I recently had mine done 2 months early simply because I knew I would be busy either at work (no garage nearby to have it done) or away at weekends after that point making it difficult to find time to get it done. Do this a couple of times and you're soon a few months 'out of phase' of the cars birthday.
bit late with mot- does it matter????? - helicopter
A lot of problems were caused caused by the 'once a year' August 1st registration changes as three years on thousands and thousands of motorist thought they could wait until the last day of July and just pop down to the local MOT garage and get a test done.
bit late with mot- does it matter????? - Hugo {P}
I was lucky recently, I decided to check my Discovery File to see when the MOT was due and discovered (exuse the pun!) that it was some 8 days overdue.

A visit to the garage who took it for the MOT was all that was needed. And it passed!

Suggest we all take time out to check eh? My Van's MOT is due in April so I'm OK there!

H
bit late with mot- does it matter????? - Stargazer {P}
I had a reminder from the local volvo dealership in the post exactly one month before the MOT ran out so within the window allowed for a retest and getting a certificate valid for 13 months. I rang up to make an appointment for the MOT but "sorry Sir no free
places for 4 weeks". Have now booked into my local garage...same price and not as conveniently located but a lot more flexible with timing.

What is the point of sending out MOT reminders if you havent the capacity to deal with them.

Ian L.