ford focus hocus pocus - spencer the artist
What makes me sick about a lot of modern cars is this ridiculous and mindless fashion for shaping the headlights like the eyes of an evil monster. Someone, don't know who, had the idea first, and now a whole host of copycat designers, no doubt extremely well-paid perrier-sipping tossers, think they have to follow suit because their "findings" show that "that's what the public want". Have you seen a focus's headlights up close? They are a silly confection. The PT cruiser might not to be to everyone's taste but for me the whole thing is ruined by those stupid headlights. Think of all the other horrific examples!
Re: ford focus hocus pocus - Chris
spencer the artist wrote:
>
> What makes me sick about a lot of modern cars is this
> ridiculous and mindless fashion for shaping the headlights
> like the eyes of an evil monster.

Yep, cars are part of the fashion industry. There are mass-market brands and designer labels, and just like clothes people want the latest style. Even Skoda and Volvo have abandoned their roots and started making "fashionable" cars. I suspect quite a lot of people would happily buy a well-made, reasonably aerodynamic car whatever it looked like at the right price. But the best way to increase the profit margin is to "design" the skin and load it with cheap electronic goodies (the MINI is a good example). Mechanics often complain about engines being awkward to work on, and quite often the problem is that the oily old engine has been forced to fit a trendy skin as unobtrusively as possible.

Chris
Re: hocus pocus - Colin Standing
It's all very well Spencer and Chris, but there's only three of us in the whole world.

Watch this site, day in day out, and pick up the express or implied addiction to 'street cred', 'style', 'not being seen dead in'.

How much less would we pay for these dirty, smelly, inefficient, intrusive bits of essential plastic and rust if we all regarded them- as I believe we should if we ever hope to stop being ripped off- in exactly the same light as, for example, vacuum cleaners, lawn mowers, fridge-freezers or WC pans. Do they do the job in hand - nowt else matters.

I don't usually feel bitter and twisted - it's just my birthday's come round again,so to balance the bile here' a little (to me anyway) funny true story.Wandering idly round a shiny car showroom recently I was pounced upon by the salesman who, amogst lots of other information, kept inserting the word 'Mansion' about the latest never to be repeated offer. It seemed an odd name for a car so , on the way out, I had a look on the side. It did, I have to say, look a bit like Mansion, but was in fact 'Illusion'. I wonder how much of the rest of the blurb he'd learned was as accurate.

Have fun Colin
Re: hocus pocus - Sue
Colin Standing wrote:
>
> It's all very well Spencer and Chris, but there's only three
> of us in the whole world.

Nah, at least four.

> Watch this site, day in day out, and pick up the express or
> implied addiction to 'street cred', 'style', 'not being seen
> dead in'.

There are a few cars I don't much like the look of, but for me, a car has a wheel at each corner (didn't like Reliants...), an engine at the front (my sister had a Hillman Imp...), and gets me and the family from A to B comfortably and reliably.

I couldn't tell you what a Focus looks like! Mind you, I've only started visiting this site since we discovered it while trying to decide what to replace our Cavalier with.

> I don't usually feel bitter and twisted - it's just my
> birthday's come round again,

Is it appropriate to wish you 'Many happy returns'?
Re: hocus pocus - Dan J
Did you decide what to replace it with? I'm thinking of a Vectra but not 100% sure that is a sensible idea...
I mean thinking of a Vectra to replace my Cav with :o) Sorry, long day at work...
Re: hocus pocus - Andrew Wills
not even in jest, please
Re: hocus pocus - Sue
Dan J wrote:
>
> Did you decide what to replace it with? I'm thinking of a
> Vectra but not 100% sure that is a sensible idea...

Not yet ... we've always had good experiences of Astras and Cavaliers, don't ask about the Viva, long time ago now! Partly a question of what we can afford, of course, but has to be something which three boys between 9 and 13 will fit into without coming to blows within 5 minutes! Also expect to keep it a few years (through inertia and dislike of making decisions like this) so have to imagine three teenage boys in the back ...
Re: hocus pocus - Kev
Repeat after me 'Do not buy a Vectra, they are rubbish'.
Good, now do it 100 times everytime u see one.
They are hideous, buy a Mondeo or a Passatt, even a Citroen is better. I actually think your Cav is better, dont degrade yourself
Kev
Re: hocus pocus - John Slaughter
Kev

Sorry, but there's not a lot wrong with Vectras. Look how many you see up and down the motorways everyday, and when did you last see one on the hard shoulder. Don't believe Jeremy Clarkson.

Difficult to beat as a second hand car. Even 'Car' magazine has changed its tune on them.

Regards

John
Re: hocus pocus - Richard Hall
Colin wrote: "How much less would we pay for these dirty, smelly, inefficient, intrusive bits of essential plastic and rust if we all regarded them- as I believe we should if we ever hope to stop being ripped off- in exactly the same light as, for example, vacuum cleaners, lawn mowers, fridge-freezers or WC pans. Do they do the job in hand - nowt else matters."

I would say that looking at the Daewoo or Kia price list should give a pretty good answer to this question. The car as domestic appliance? That'll be the Daewoo.
Re: hocus pocus - chris madley
hmmm check out my post on replacing a Cavalier. A Vectra wouldn't be on my list on the assumption that it has similar engine sensors and ECU ( 2 liter ecotek Cav) Just had to replace some sort of air valve on engine ( quote wife) £150. Thats in addition to two camshaft sensors and one crank sensor in the last 12 months and indications from engine management light that they may have failed again! Used to have alot of Morris minors and Peugeot 504's.......
Re: hocus pocus - Tomo
Can't beat a pair of P100s - especially the ones with a second bulb and a bullseye for dip. Properly aligned and with 60W bulbs you could see for a mile - so whaur's yer xenon noo?
Re: hocus pocus - Richard Hall
Vauxhall really don't understand vehicle electrics, do they? Somehow they manage to take a basically sound design, equip it almost entirely with good reliable German Bosch components, and still end up with a vehicle that you need a Masters degree in auto electrics to keep on the road. How do they do it?
I think it is worth mentioning Renault at this point...
Re: hocus pocus - Rebecca
Bit it DOES work the same with domestic appliances!

Hardly anyone wants a Dyson for its cyclone technolgy (emptying a bag was never a problem) but they're bought for the design (see all the other brands copying). Now they're doing the same with washing machines, toilet seats, fridges etc...and of course there's the IMac

If we didn't buy them, they wouldn't keep selling them.
Re: hocus pocus - Chris
Rebecca wrote:
>
Now they're
> doing the same with washing machines, toilet seats, fridges
> etc...and of course there's the IMac
>
> If we didn't buy them, they wouldn't keep selling them.

Dead right, Rebecca. We're like kids: wave something shiny and brightly coloured in front of us and we start gurgling with pleasure. They know they've built reliable machines that will last for years but they depend on us buying a new one every three years at least, so they try to pretend they've come up with something new, and they know that a new shape or a bright colour will do the trick. Bah. Humbug.

Chris