LPG conversions for new cars - Keith Walters
Has anybody experienced the benefit of converting a new car to LPG.
If so what car.
Would appreciate you views on the results and whether the refund on cost was forthcoming.
Do you know of a good conversion garage in London / Essex/ Herts?
Thanks Keith
Re: LPG conversions for new cars - honest john
See FAQ answer on this website. Yawn.

HJ
Re: LPG conversions for new cars - Michael
before you do it Keith, check the availability of lpg filling stations on your normal route. Just in case you cannot complete a round trip on a tankful of gas. A friend of mine whose current regular route is birmingham to kent abandoned plans to convert and settled on a diesel because of the lack of filling stations en route. He also found that a diesel was more cost effective in terms of economy and performance and he retained the bootspace.
Re: LPG conversions for new cars - honest john
In response to Michael's posting, even if you go for a combined tank arrangement you still retain the ability to drive on petrol. (By 'combined' I mean using the space taken by the petrol tank for a gas cylinder and a smaller petrol tank.) Most conversions retain the existing petrol tank which on an ordinary petrol Mondeo gives a range of 450 miles plus.

HJ
Re: LPG conversions for new cars - Andrew Bairsto
If you use a proper installer then you will looose no boot space as the tanks are moulded to fit under chassis space as in the new combined fuel vovlo.We converted a ford pick up with a 4000cc motor it suffers from about a10% in economy which is normal and we pay 1.16dm in Germany copared to 1.90 for petrol and 1.51 for diesel (this mornings prices in ESSEN) .So if you do a high mileage the cost benifits over diesel are enormous plus no oil changes or very few.A taxi in Dresden where I live has covered over 100000km on gas and the oil is still clean.
Re: LPG conversions for new cars - John Slaughter
Andy

Whilst the oil will stay clean because of the reduced amount of combustion products, I wouldn't recommend increasing the oil change intervals too much. There are two key affects on the oil which don't change. One, it will suffer a continued viscosity loss due to the shearing as it goes through the oil pump and bearings and two, it still reaches significant temperatures and remains prone to oxidation. Although the cleanliness is a huge benefit, I'd suggest the normal manufacturers recommended oil change intervals are maintained - despite the Dresden taxi!

Regards

john
Re: LPG conversions for new cars - Stuart B
Andrew Bairsto wrote:
>
> If you use a proper installer then you will looose no boot
> space as the tanks are moulded to fit under chassis space as
> in the new combined fuel vovlo.

Sorry Andy its not quite as clear cut as that, acc Volvo in Sweden, it is true that in all the bifuel models you dont lose any boot space, but have no spare wheel, its a tyre fix kit and a 12v compressor.

If the tyre cannot be fixed by this means a call for recovery, eg if you pick up a big piece of scrap. Wheras even with a space saver you can keep going at reduced pace.
Re: LPG conversions for new cars - Andrew Bairsto
On versions offered in Germany you can still have spare tyre the tanks are under the floor and under the back seat ,taxi versions have abigger tank capacity and the spare goes out the window.The tanks can be formed to any shape you require and just about all car suppliers will build what you want when you order your new vehicle
Re: LPG conversions for new cars - Mike Wolstencroft
Stuart
35 pence per litre at the farm shop near Knutsford M6 junction on the A556. My Merc 190E averages 24mpg and has an 86 litre tank ( 68 litres usable to allow for LPG expansion ) in the boot - keeps the existing full size spare wheel under the tank with sufficient room to remove it when required. Still enough boot space left for a reasonable shop. Changeover to LPG from petrol is automatic with the Tartarini system which was expertly fitted by Autogas North West at Crown Point, Norley, Frodsham, Cheshire.
LPG conversions for new cars - David Lacey
I'm suprised Guy hasn't been on here spouting about his *prize-winning* MKII Golf I converted for him back along. We fitted a 80L tank in the boot and he can still access and remove his spacsaver spare wheel! Performance is unaffected and fuel consumption returns are favourable, also.

David