Clavis tension gauge for timing belt - was8v
I'm replacing the timing belt on my 306 1.4 and have access to a Clavis belt tension gauge (Clavis.co.uk) which give a reading of the tension in Hz. Has anyone experience of using one of these gauges and know the correct tension necessary for my engine? The Haynes manual suggets using a weight acting on a lever or the "Special Peugeot" tool.
Clavis tension gauge for timing belt - M.M
Correct tensioning with a Clavis meter.

Either find a listing of the belt tensions in HZ or...

Your initial belt tension should be to 45 SEEM units on one of the popular trade tension testers, the SEEM C-Tronic. 45 SEEM units equates to a tension of 240 Newtons.

The Clavis website gives an easy calculation between Newtons and HZ, copied below...

The relationship between Tension and Frequency is given by the following expression

T = 4 M L2 F2

T = Tension in Newtons

L = Span Length in metres

F = Frequency in Hz (as measured on the CLAVIS meter)

M = Mass per unit length of the belt, in kg/metre

If you are using a gauge bear in mind the proper way to do this belt tension is to...

First tension to 45 SEEM units in the locking pin position but with the pins removed.

Turn the engine over four times (at the crankshaft). Allow to settle for one minute. Press belt with thumb in the middle of the longest run. Refit tension gauge and tension to 40 SEEM units.

Turn engine over two crankshaft revolutions, check with timing pin crank is in correct position, remove timing pin. Finally without allowing engine to rotate at all refit gauge and check for the correct final reading of 51 SEEM units (plus or minus 3).

Of course you could do the same as everyone else and just do the twist test in the middle of the longest run. These cars have a very reliable timing belt and tensioner, they are fine with basic methods.

Good luck.

M.M

Clavis tension gauge for timing belt - was8v
Ok, ta, the 45 SEEM = 240 Newtons bit is just what I was looking for. thanks!
Clavis tension gauge for timing belt - Dizzy {P}
M.M

I agree that Peugeot belt drives are more reliable than some others and therefore twist test is therefore likely to be OK on the 1.4 Peugeot 306. However I think it needs emphasizing that the twist test may not be adequate for some weaker or more heavily loaded belt drives.

As I mentioned a while back, a major OEM belt manufacturer by the name of Gates advises that the twist test was acceptable on older engines but should not be used on more recent designs where the belt drive duties can be much higher.
Clavis tension gauge for timing belt - M.M
>>However I think it needs emphasizing that the twist test may not be adequate for some weaker or more heavily loaded belt drives.

Absolutely correct Dizzy. I was referring to the particular 1.4 engine mentioned fitted in a 306**. This has a very reliable setup, both in terms of the belt itself plus a nice robust tensioner. Another factor is that access is good which increases the chance of making a good job of tensioning.

**Note the correct procedure also involves a special tool to clamp on the rocker arms and release the turning effect of valve spring tension on the camshaft. To be honest I've never seen anyone use this but I think it is mentioned in Haynes.

It is rare for me to describe any other method than the correct one in this forum. Well spotted!

M.M

Clavis tension gauge for timing belt - Josephbonello

Hi

Can you please explain how you work out that 45 SEEM equates to 240 Newtons. Is there a formula?

Thanks

Joseph

Clavis tension gauge for timing belt - FP

My understanding is that there is no available formula for converting SEEM units.

The SEEM gauge appears to have been developed specifically for PSA engines and arbitrarily calibrated.

However, this device states it measures SEEM units and Newtons:

tinyurl.com/c4tadja